List of Chinese astronauts
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
As the Chinese space program developed during the sixties, various proposals for manned spacecraft were made. The first manned spacecraft proposed by the People's Republic of China during the late 1960s and early 1970s was the Shuguang One which was expected to bring the first Chinese astronaut in 1973 into space. For this programme 19 astronauts were selected in 1971. However, shortly after these plans were made, several leading scientists attached to the project were denounced during the Cultural Revolution, bringing progress to a standstill. Instead, NASA astronaut Taylor Wang, a naturalized U.S. citizen born in China, became the first ethnically Chinese person in space in 1985.
For China’s current Shenzhou program several astronauts were selected. In 2003, Yang Liwei was launched aboard Shenzhou 5, becoming the first person sent into space by the Chinese space program. This achievement made China the third country to independently send humans into space. During the Shenzhou 7 mission in 2008, Zhai Zhigang became the first Chinese citizen to carry out a spacewalk. In 2012, Liu Yang became the first Chinese woman to be launched into space when she was launched aboard Shenzhou 9.
As of 2017, eleven Chinese nationals have traveled in space.
|Yang Liwei||Shenzhou 5 (October 15, 2003)||First Chinese national in space. First solo man in space who was neither Soviet/Russian nor American.|
|Fei Junlong||Shenzhou 6 (October 12–16, 2005)||Commander in the first two-man Chinese crew in space.|
|Nie Haisheng||Shenzhou 6 (October 12–16, 2005)
Shenzhou 10 (June 11–26, 2013)
|First in a two-man Chinese crew in space.|
|Jing Haipeng||Shenzhou 7 (September 25–28, 2008)
Shenzhou 9 (June 16–29, 2012)
Shenzhou 11 (October 17, 2016–November 18, 2016)
|First in a three-man Chinese crew in space. First repeat Chinese national in space. Commander in the first Chinese crew to achieve manned spacecraft docking.|
|Liu Boming||Shenzhou 7 (September 25–28, 2008)||First in a three-man Chinese crew in space.|
|Zhai Zhigang||Shenzhou 7 (September 25–28, 2008)||First Chinese national to walk in space. Commander in the first Chinese three-man crew in space.|
|Liu Wang||Shenzhou 9 (June 16–29, 2012)||First in a Chinese crew to achieve manned spacecraft docking.|
|Liu Yang||Shenzhou 9 (June 16–29, 2012)||First Chinese woman in space. First in a Chinese crew to achieve manned spacecraft docking.|
|Zhang Xiaoguang||Shenzhou 10 (June 11–26, 2013)||Conducted manned spacecraft rendezvous and docking|
|Wang Yaping||Shenzhou 10 (June 11–26, 2013)||Second Chinese female astronaut.|
|Chen Dong||Shenzhou 11 (October 17, 2016–November 18, 2016)|
By selection group
- May 1970 - Shuguang Group
- October 1996 (part of the Shenzhou program)
- January 1998 - (part of the Shenzhou program)
- Chen Quan (mission: backup commander Shenzhou 7)
- Deng Qingming
- Fei Junlong (mission: commander Shenzhou 6 ; backup Shenzhou 7)
- Jing Haipeng (missions: Shenzhou 7, commander Shenzhou 9, Shenzhou 11)
- Liu Boming (mission: Shenzhou 7)
- Liu Wang (mission: Shenzhou 9)
- Nie Haisheng (missions: Shenzhou 6 ; backup Shenzhou 7 ; backup commander Shenzhou 9 ; Shenzhou 10)
- Pan Zhanchun
- Yang Liwei (mission: commander Shenzhou 5)
- Zhai Zhigang (mission: backup Shenzhou 6 ; commander Shenzhou 7)
- Zhang Xiaoguang (mission: backup Shenzhou 9 ; Shenzhou 10)
- Zhao Chuandong
- Chinese women in space
- Chinese American astronauts
- List of astronauts
- List of astronauts by selection
- "Shuguang 1". Archived from the original on 2007-07-14. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "Shenzhou 5". Archived from the original on 2011-06-28. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "Shenzhou 7". Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- China 2, spacefacts.de
- Space.com, "Names of China's Secret Astronauts Revealed by Autographed Envelope", Robert Z. Pearlman, 7 December 2011