List of Chinese film-production companies before 1949
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This film-related list is incomplete; you can help by .
- Changcheng Film Company- (Great Wall) Active in the 1920s
- Dadi Film Company- (Great Earth), Hong Kong production company active between 1939-1940 that focused on Mandarin-language films, founded by Cai Chusheng and Situ Huimin
- Datong Film Company- (Great Harmony), Major privately owned production company of the 1940s
- Dazhonghua- (Great China), first major production company to emerge in post-war Hong Kong, focused on Mandarin-language films
- Dazhonghua Baihe Film Company- Major production company of the 1920s, later merged into Lianhua
- Diantong Film Company- Leftist film company active from 1934-1935. Only produced four films.
- Guohua Productions- Founded in the late 1930s by former Mingxing director Zhang Shichuan, major rival of Xinhua Film Company during the "Solitary Island" period
- Huamei Film Company- (China-America Film), early production company founded by American Benjamin Brodsky in Hong Kong. Only produced one film, Lai Man-Wai's landmark 1913 film Zhuangzi Tests His Wife.
- Kunlun Film Company- (Mount Kunlun Pictures), Major privately owned production company in the 1940s, produced the 1949 anti-GMD film Crows and Sparrows
- Manchukuo Film Association- One of the most controversial company under Japanese authority
- China Sun Motion Picture Company, Lai Man-wai's production company, later merged into Lianhua.
- Mingxing Film Company- (Star)
- Northeast Film Studio- One of the cornerstone companies.
- Shanghai Animation Film Studio
- Shanghai Yingxi ("Shanghai Films")- Active in the 1920s, later merged into Lianhua
- Tianyi Film Company (Unique Film Productions), predecessor of the Shaw Brothers Studio, active in the 1920s and 1930s
- Wenhua Film Company- (Cultural China), major privately owned (by Wu Xingcai) production company of the 1940s; produced Fei Mu's Spring in a Small Town (1947)
- Xianggong Yingye- active in the 1920s, later merged into Lianhua
- Xibei Film Company
- Xin Shidai Film Company- Produced Situ Humin's 1938 The Blood Spilt in the Treasure Mountain City.
- Xinhua Film Company- (New China), leftist film company, active in the 1930s and 1940s
- Zhongyang Films- (Central) Minor production company, active in the 1930s