List of Cuban submissions for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film
Cuba has submitted films for consideration in the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film[nb 1] category at the Oscars since 1978. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue.
Every year, each country is invited by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to submit its best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award.
The following is a list of the films submitted by Cuba in the Best Foreign Language Film category at the Academy Awards. All films were produced in Spanish.
Cuba's first submission was directed by Miguel Littin, a leftist Chilean director who was nominated in this category twice, representing Mexico in 1975/76 (for Letters from Marusia) and Nicaragua in 1982/83 (for Alsino and the Condor). He also represented his native Chile in 2009.
In addition to the above films, the Dominican Republic submitted Guaguasi - a drama directed by a Cuban-American exile, set amidst the turmoil of the 1956 Cuban Revolution and filmed in the Dominican Republic - for consideration in 1983,
- "Academy announces rules for 92nd Oscars". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Academy Announces Rule Changes For 92nd Oscars". Forbes. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 August 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- http://www.cubanow.net/pages/loader.php?sec=8&t=2&item=3211[permanent dead link]
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. Archived from the original on 21 May 2012. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Harvey, Dennis. "Film Review: 'Behavior'". Variety. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- Salazar, Francisco (18 August 2016). "Oscar 2017 Predictions: Will Cuba Get its Second Oscar Nomination with Busan Film Festival Selection "The Companion?"". Latin Post. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "La coproducción participada por España 'Sergio & Serguéi', elegida por Cuba para la carrera al Oscar". Audiovisual451. 2 October 2018. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- "87 Countries In Competition for 2018 Foreign Language Film Oscar". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 8 October 2018.
- "Oscars: Cuba Selects Un Traductor as its Academy Awards Candidate". Cinema Tropical. Retrieved 31 August 2019.
- Scheib, Ronnie (7 June 2005). "Caribe Movie Review". Variety.