List of Dalits
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Following are notable Dalit people.
- B. R. Ambedkar
- K. R. Narayanan, Former President of India
- Mayawati, four time Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
- Kanshi Ram, Founder of Bahujan Samaj Party
- B. Shyam Sunder, dalit leader and founder Bharatiya Bhim Sena
- Damodaram Sanjivayya - 2nd Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh(1960–1962) and also the first dalit Chief Minister of a state in India and first dalit President of Indian National Congress party(1962))
- Mallikarjun Kharge, Leader of the Indian National Congress in the Lok Sabha, Former Union Minister of Labour and Employment, Former Union Minister of Railways
- Jagjivan Ram (1908–1986), first Labour Minister of India, former Defence Minister of India, former Agriculture Minister of India]], former Deputy Prime Minister of India and father of Meira Kumar
- Siddalingaiah, Kannada poet who lead movement of bandaya dalita sahitya. President of decent 'All india Kannada literature meet' which held in Shravana belagola in Hassan, Karnataka.
Reformers and religious leaders
- Ayyankali, mahatma and reformer
- Giani Ditt Singh, started Singh Sabha Movement to bring dalits of Punjab to sikh-fold.
- Bhagu, a devotee of Krishna
- Mangu Ram Mugowalia, started Ad-Dharmi movement
- Ravidas, mystic poet-saInt of the bhakti movement
Main article: Dalit saints of Hinduism
- Rajesh Saraiya, owns a multi-national company in Ukraine, SteelMont Pvt Ltd
- Hegde, Sanjay (14 April 2015). "There were some Dalit leaders like B. Shyam Sunder, who vociferously said: "We are not Hindus, we have nothing to do with the Hindu caste system, yet we have been included among them by them and for them."". The Hindu. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- Singh, R. B. (28 August 2015). "Scheduled Caste Welfare". Google Books. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- "Being Dalit is a crime in Indian cricket". thatscricket.com (in Latin). 16 July 2009. Retrieved 6 September 2015.