List of Dancing with the Stars (U.S.) competitors
Dancing with the Stars is an American reality television show in which celebrity contestants and professional dance partners compete to be the best dancers, as determined by the show's judges and public voting. The series first broadcast in the 2005, and twenty-six complete seasons have aired on ABC through Spring 2018. During each season, competitors are progressively eliminated on the basis of public voting and scores received from the judges until only a few contestants remain. These finalists participate in a finale, from which a winner is determined. Celebrities appearing on Dancing with the Stars include "actors, singers, comedians, musicians, entrepreneurs, athletes, reality stars, journalists, internet personalities, newsmakers, and where-are-they-now personalities".
As of season 26, 296 celebrities have competed. Seven of those withdrew from the competition: Sara Evans of season three left the show to "give her family full attention" after filing for divorce; Misty May-Treanor of season seven was forced to pull out after an ankle injury; Tom DeLay of season nine reportedly withdrew "due to stress fractures in both of his feet"; Dorothy Hamill of season sixteen withdrew due to a previous injury that was unrelated to the competition; Billy Dee Williams of season eighteen quit due to a back injury; Kim Zolciak-Biermann of season twenty-one was forced to withdraw after suffering a mini-stroke, which prevented her from flying to California; and Tamar Braxton of season twenty-one withdrew due to pulmonary embolisms in her lungs. At age 14, actress Willow Shields of season twenty was the youngest contestant to compete on the show. At age 82, actress Cloris Leachman of season seven was the oldest contestant to compete on the show. At age 51, singer Donny Osmond of season nine was the oldest contestant to win the competition. At age 16 years, Laurie Hernandez of season twenty-three was the youngest contestant to win. The first (and, as of now, only) contestant to pass away after appearing on the show is Florence Henderson of season eleven, who died in November 2016, six years after her participation. Forty-four professional dancers have partnered with the celebrities. The twenty-six winners of the show, in chronological order, are Kelly Monaco, Drew Lachey, Emmitt Smith, Apolo Anton Ohno, Hélio Castroneves, Kristi Yamaguchi, Brooke Burke, Shawn Johnson, Donny Osmond, Nicole Scherzinger, Jennifer Grey, Hines Ward, J.R. Martinez, Donald Driver, Melissa Rycroft, Kellie Pickler, Amber Riley, Meryl Davis, Alfonso Ribeiro, Rumer Willis, Bindi Irwin, Nyle DiMarco, Laurie Hernandez, Rashad Jennings, Jordan Fisher and Adam Rippon. The fifteen professional partners who have won are Alec Mazo, Cheryl Burke (twice), Julianne Hough (twice), Mark Ballas (twice), Derek Hough (six times), Kym Johnson (twice), Karina Smirnoff, Peta Murgatroyd (twice), Tony Dovolani, Maksim Chmerkovskiy, Witney Carson, Valentin Chmerkovskiy (twice), Emma Slater, Lindsay Arnold and Jenna Johnson.
In the following list, the winner of each season is shown in gold, second place in silver and third place in bronze.
|Season: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 · 14 · 15 · 16 · 17 · 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27|
- * Indicates contestant withdrew from competition for personal/health reasons.
- Indicates contestant died after competing.
- "Voting -- How It Works". American Broadcasting Company. Archived from the original on October 8, 2009. Retrieved October 24, 2009.
- Weber, Joseph (August 17, 2009). "Tom DeLay joins 'Dancing With the Stars'". The Washington Times. News World Communications. Retrieved October 24, 2009.
- "Divorce Forces Sara Evans to Quit 'Dancing with the Stars'". Fox News Channel. October 13, 2006. Retrieved October 23, 2009.
- Reardanz, Karen (October 8, 2008). "Misty May-Treanor Has Surgery for Dance Injury". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved October 23, 2009.
- Rizzo, Monica (October 6, 2009). "Tom DeLay to Quit Dancing with the Stars". People. Time Inc. Archived from the original on October 9, 2009. Retrieved October 23, 2009.
- Gorman, Steve (August 25, 2008). "Cloris Leachman, 82, joins "Dancing with Stars"". Reuters. Retrieved October 24, 2009.
- "'Dancing With The Stars' crowns a winner". USA Today. Gannett Company. November 24, 2009. Retrieved November 25, 2009.
- "Dancing With The Stars". American Broadcasting Company. Retrieved October 24, 2009.
- ""Dancing With The Stars" Timeline". CBS. May 19, 2009. Retrieved October 21, 2009.
- Lee, Allyssa (March 1, 2010). "'Dancing with the Stars': The Season 10 cast is revealed!". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. Retrieved March 7, 2010.