List of Disney theatrical animated features
Currently, the The Walt Disney Studios releases films from Disney-owned and non-Disney owned animation studios. Most films listed below are from Walt Disney Animation Studios which began as the feature animation department of Walt Disney Productions, producing its first feature-length animated film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937 and as of 2016 has produced a total of 55 feature films.[st 1] Beginning with Toy Story in 1995, The Walt Disney Studios also released animated films by Pixar Animation Studios, which became a wholly owned subsidiary in 2006.
Other studio units have also released films theatrically, namely Walt Disney Television Animation's Disney MovieToons/Video Premiere unit (now DisneyToon Studios) and the studio's distribution unit, which acquires film rights from outside animation studios to release films under the Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, or previously owned Miramax film labels. In 1996, The Walt Disney Studios signed a deal with Tokuma Shoten for distribution rights to the theatrical works of Studio Ghibli world-wide (excluding Asia except for Japan and Taiwan and excluding Grave of the Fireflies which was not published by Tokuma), including what then was the most recent film, Princess Mononoke. The deal later grew to include DVD rights and newer Ghibli movies; the English language Disney release of Spirited Away won the 2002 Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. Studio Ghibli remains wholly independent of Disney and maintains strict creative control over the handling of the foreign language localization Disney produces. All of the theatrical Ghibli back catalog originally included in the deal have since been released to DVD in North America and several other countries. Other studios globally have released films through Walt Disney Pictures which maintains distribution rights in certain territories.
|Walt Disney Animation Studios|
|Walt Disney Television Animation|
|Other Disney studio|
|Title||Original theatrical release date[rls 1]||Animation Studio[st 1]|
|Academy Award Review of Walt Disney Cartoons||May 19, 1937||Walt Disney|
|Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs||December 21, 1937||Walt Disney|
|Pinocchio||February 7, 1940||Walt Disney|
|Fantasia||November 13, 1940[rls 2]||Walt Disney|
|Dumbo||October 23, 1941||Walt Disney|
|Bambi||August 13, 1942||Walt Disney|
|Saludos Amigos||August 24, 1942||Walt Disney|
|Victory Through Air Power||July 17, 1943||Walt Disney|
|The Three Caballeros||December 21, 1944||Walt Disney|
|Make Mine Music||April 20, 1946||Walt Disney|
|Song of the South||November 12, 1946||Walt Disney|
|Fun and Fancy Free||September 27, 1947||Walt Disney|
|Melody Time||May 27, 1948||Walt Disney|
|The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad||October 5, 1949||Walt Disney|
|Cinderella||February 15, 1950||Walt Disney|
|Alice in Wonderland||July 28, 1951||Walt Disney|
|Peter Pan||February 5, 1953||Walt Disney|
|Lady and the Tramp||June 22, 1955||Walt Disney|
|Sleeping Beauty||January 29, 1959||Walt Disney|
|One Hundred and One Dalmatians||January 25, 1961||Walt Disney|
|The Sword in the Stone||December 25, 1963||Walt Disney|
|The Jungle Book||October 18, 1967||Walt Disney|
|The Aristocats||December 24, 1970||Walt Disney|
|Robin Hood||November 8, 1973||Walt Disney|
|The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh||March 11, 1977||Walt Disney|
|The Rescuers||June 22, 1977||Walt Disney|
|The Fox and the Hound||July 10, 1981||Walt Disney|
|The Black Cauldron||July 24, 1985||Walt Disney|
|The Great Mouse Detective||July 2, 1986||Walt Disney|
|Who Framed Roger Rabbit||June 22, 1988||Amblin Entertainment|
|Oliver & Company||November 18, 1988||Walt Disney|
|The Little Mermaid||November 17, 1989||Walt Disney|
|DuckTales the Movie||August 3, 1990||Disney MovieToons|
|The Rescuers Down Under||November 16, 1990||Walt Disney|
|Beauty and the Beast||November 22, 1991||Walt Disney|
|Aladdin||November 25, 1992||Walt Disney|
|The Nightmare Before Christmas||October 29, 1993||Skellington Productions[st 2]|
|The Lion King||June 15, 1994||Walt Disney|
|A Goofy Movie||April 7, 1995||Disney MovieToons|
|Pocahontas||June 23, 1995||Walt Disney|
|Toy Story||November 22, 1995||Pixar Animation Studios|
|James and the Giant Peach||April 12, 1996||Skellington[st 3]|
|The Hunchback of Notre Dame||June 21, 1996||Walt Disney|
|Hercules||June 27, 1997||Walt Disney|
|Mulan||June 19, 1998||Walt Disney|
|A Bug's Life||November 25, 1998||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Doug's 1st Movie||March 26, 1999||Walt Disney Television Animation
|Tarzan||June 18, 1999||Walt Disney|
|Toy Story 2||November 24, 1999||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Fantasia 2000||December 17, 1999||Walt Disney|
|The Tigger Movie||February 11, 2000||Disney MovieToons|
|Dinosaur||May 19, 2000||Secret Lab
|The Emperor's New Groove||December 15, 2000||Walt Disney|
|Recess: School's Out||February 16, 2001||Walt Disney Television Animation|
|Atlantis: The Lost Empire||June 15, 2001||Walt Disney|
|Monsters, Inc.||November 2, 2001||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Return to Never Land||February 15, 2002||Disney MovieToons|
|Lilo & Stitch||June 21, 2002||Walt Disney|
|Spirited Away||September 20, 2002[sg 1]||Studio Ghibli|
|Treasure Planet||November 27, 2002||Walt Disney|
|The Jungle Book 2||February 14, 2003||Disney MovieToons|
|Piglet's Big Movie||March 21, 2003||Disney MovieToons|
|Finding Nemo||May 30, 2003||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Brother Bear||November 1, 2003||Walt Disney|
|Teacher's Pet||January 16, 2004||Walt Disney Television Animation|
|Home on the Range||April 2, 2004||Walt Disney|
|The Incredibles||November 5, 2004||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Pooh's Heffalump Movie||February 11, 2005||DisneyToon Studios|
|Howl's Moving Castle||June 10, 2005[sg 2]||Studio Ghibli|
|Valiant||August 19, 2005[rls 3]||Vanguard Animation|
|Chicken Little||November 4, 2005||Walt Disney|
|Bambi II||February 7, 2006[rls 4]||DisneyToon Studios|
|The Wild||April 14, 2006[rls 5]||C.O.R.E.[st 4]|
|Cars||June 9, 2006||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Meet the Robinsons||March 30, 2007||Walt Disney|
|Ratatouille||June 29, 2007||Pixar Animation Studios|
|WALL-E||June 27, 2008||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Tinker Bell||September 18, 2008[rls 4]||DisneyToon Studios|
|Roadside Romeo||October 24, 2008 (India)[rls 5]||Yash Raj Films[st 5]|
|Bolt||November 28, 2008||Walt Disney|
|Up||May 29, 2009||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Ponyo||August 14, 2009[sg 3]||Studio Ghibli|
|Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure||September 3, 2009 (Argentina)[rls 4]||DisneyToon Studios|
|A Christmas Carol||November 6, 2009||ImageMovers Digital[st 6]|
|The Princess and the Frog||December 11, 2009||Walt Disney|
|Toy Story 3||June 18, 2010||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Tales from Earthsea||August 13, 2010[sg 4]||Studio Ghibli|
|Tangled||November 24, 2010||Walt Disney|
|Gnomeo and Juliet||February 11, 2011||Starz Animation[st 7]|
|Mars Needs Moms||March 11, 2011||ImageMovers Digital[st 6]|
|Cars 2||June 24, 2011||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Winnie the Pooh||July 15, 2011||Walt Disney|
|The Secret World of Arrietty||February 17, 2012[sg 5]||Studio Ghibli|
|Arjun: The Warrior Prince||May 25, 2012 (India)[rls 5]||UTV Motion Pictures|
|Brave||June 22, 2012||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Secret of the Wings||August 31, 2012[rls 6]||DisneyToon Studios|
|Frankenweenie||October 5, 2012||Tim Burton Productions[st 3]|
|Wreck-It Ralph||November 2, 2012||Walt Disney|
|Monsters University||June 21, 2013||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Planes||August 9, 2013||DisneyToon Studios|
|Frozen||November 27, 2013||Walt Disney|
|The Pirate Fairy||February 13, 2014[rls 6]||DisneyToon Studios|
|The Wind Rises||February 21, 2014[sg 6]||Studio Ghibli[st 7]|
|Planes: Fire & Rescue||July 18, 2014||DisneyToon Studios|
|Big Hero 6||November 7, 2014||Walt Disney|
|Strange Magic||January 23, 2015||Lucasfilm Animation[st 7]|
|Inside Out||June 19, 2015||Pixar Animation Studios|
|The Good Dinosaur||November 25, 2015||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Zootopia||March 4, 2016||Walt Disney|
|Finding Dory||June 17, 2016||Pixar Animation Studios|
Upcoming or in production
|Title||Intended theatrical release date
by Walt Disney Pictures/
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
|Animation Studio[st 1]|
|Moana||November 23, 2016||Walt Disney|
|Cars 3||June 16, 2017||Pixar|
|Coco||November 22, 2017||Pixar|
|Wreck-It Ralph 2||March 9, 2018||Walt Disney|
|Toy Story 4||June 15, 2018||Pixar|
|Gigantic||November 21, 2018||Walt Disney|
|Untitled film||April 12, 2019||Disneytoon Studios|
|The Incredibles 2||June 21, 2019||Pixar|
|Untitled film||June 19, 2020||Pixar|
|Untitled film||November 25, 2020||Walt Disney|
|Frozen 2||TBA||Walt Disney|
- Listed are the original theatrical release dates in the United States (or other non-U.S. territories) when the film was contributed by the Walt Disney Company. Different distributors are attributed and credited for distributing each film throughout the history of the Walt Disney Company. Films released before 1954 were released by RKO Radio Pictures (with the exception of Victory Through Air Power, refused by RKO and then released by United Artists), films released after 1955 were released by Disney-owned Buena Vista Distribution and through its current name Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, and films released after 1985 are co-credited with Walt Disney Pictures.
- Originally distributed by Walt Disney Productions. Original RKO date of release was April 1, 1941
- Released by Walt Disney Pictures in North America
- Not released theatrically in the United States
- Released by Disney outside North America
- Limited release in the United States.
- Animated films listed as produced by Walt Disney were either entirely produced prior to 1986 as part of the animation department of Walt Disney Productions or by the restructured studio unit Walt Disney Feature Animation, known after 2006 as Walt Disney Animation Studios. Some films may have been animated at various satellite animation studios as well. "Walt Disney Animated Films - History". Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- Originally released by Touchstone Pictures. Subsequently reissued by Walt Disney Pictures.
- Released by Walt Disney Pictures.
- Animation produced by C.O.R.E. Feature Animation of C.O.R.E. Digital Pictures.
- Co-production with The Walt Disney Company India Pvt. Ltd.
- The film studio ImageMovers Digital, run by Robert Zemeckis, was owned by Disney from 2007 to 2010. These films were performance captured animated films.
- Released by Touchstone Pictures.
Studio Ghibli films original release dates:
- Original date of release was July 20, 2001
- Original date of release was November 20, 2004
- Original date of release was July 19, 2008
- Original date of release was July 29, 2006
- Original date of release was July 17, 2010
- Original date of release was July 20, 2013
- List of Disney theatrical feature films
- List of Disney animated shorts
- List of Disney animated universe characters
- List of songs from Disney theatrical feature films
- La Monica, Paul R. (January 24, 2006). "Disney buys Pixar". CNN.
- The Walt Disney Studios Animation. http://www.waltdisneystudios.com/. Retrieved on 2013-10-02.
- The Disney-Tokuma Deal //. Nausicaa.net. Retrieved on 2013-08-12.
- War documentary, released by United Artists after having been refused by RKO
- Film included several minutes worth of non-animated narration clips, mainly of author Alexander 'Sasha' Seversky
- Fischer, Russ (August 9, 2010). "Disney Sets 2012 Release Dates For John Carter of Mars and Frankenweenie". Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- "Disney Sets Animation Slate To Infinity And Beyond". Deadline. May 29, 2013. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- Jardine, William (July 11, 2013). "Tonnes of New Details Revealed About Disney's Upcoming Slate!". Big Screen Animation. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- Kilday, Gregg (December 4, 2013). "Pixar vs. Disney Animation: John Lasseter's Tricky Tug-of-War". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Kit, Borys (July 17, 2012). "Andrew Stanton to Direct Pixar's Finding Nemo Sequel". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur' Pushed Back Nearly 18 Months After Losing Director". Hollywoodreporter.com. 2011-11-17. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Graser, Marc (October 20, 2014). "Disney Sails Into Theaters With Animated ‘Moana’ in 2016". Variety. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Hipes, Patrick (October 8, 2015). "Disney: ‘Ant Man And The Wasp’ A Go, ‘Incredibles 2’ Dated & More". Deadline. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- "meet the newest disney pixar film, coco". disney. 2015. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- Tilly, Chris (Mar 24, 2016). "Wreck-It Ralph 2 Still Happening, Might Feature Mario". IGN. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- "'Wreck-It Ralph 2' is officially happening". Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- Graser, Marc (November 6, 2014). "Pixar’s ‘Toy Story 4′ Set to Play in Theaters in 2017". Variety. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- Kim, Nemo (October 21, 2014). "John Lasseter Says ‘Thank You, Korea,’ But Pixar Production to Remain In-House". Variety. Archived from the original on October 22, 2014. Retrieved October 24, 2014.
For the Walt Disney Animation Studios slate Lasseter confirmed release dates of Jan 2015 for “Big Hero 6,” which premieres later this week as the opening film of the Tokyo International Film Festival; 2016 for “Zootopia”; and slots thereafter for “Moana” and “Giants,” both of which are currently in production.
- "Frozen 2 is Officially Announced And We Are Crying Icy Tears of Joy". Disney Blogs.