List of English words of Romani origin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Chav - a member of a youth subculture (from cha = "child")
- Cosh - a weapon, truncheon, baton (from the Romani word cosht = "stick")
- Cushy - easy, good, fine (from the Romani word kusht or kushti)
- drag - to wear clothing carrying symbolic significance commonly associated with the opposite gender (possibly from indraka = "dress")
- drag - a car, to race a car as in drag racing
- Pal - a friend, from the Romani word phral, meaning brother
- Gadjo or Gadjie - a non-Romani
- Lollipop - a type of candy, from the Romani "loli phabai", meaning red apple
- Moosh - colloquial (especially in Kent) meaning a man, a bloke, from Romani moosh meaning man.
- Romanipen - the spirit of being Romani, "Romani-ness"
- Shiv - an improvised knife or similar weapon (possibly from chivomengro = "knife")
- Skip (waste collecting container like on building sites) - from Romani word skip meaning basket
- Togs - clothes (colloquial) from the Romani word togs meaning clothes
- Polari - slang used by several British subcultures, which includes numerous terms from Romani