List of English words of Scots origin
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|For a list of words relating to Scots language origins, see the Scots derivations category of words in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
List of English words of Scots origin is a list of English language words of Scots origin. See also "List of English words of Scottish Gaelic origin", which contains many words which were borrowed via Highland Scots.
- A form of extortion carried out by the Border Reivers, borrowed into English with less violent connotations.
- caddie or caddy
- Also Northern English. From English can in older sense of "to know how."
- Borrowed from Gaelic clann (family, stock, off-spring).
- Borrowed from French convenir, from Latin convenire.
- Derived from Old Icelandic fjǫrdic (see fjord)
- Meaning magic, enchantment, spell. From English grammar and Scottish gramarye (occult learning or scholarship).
- Middle English (Scots) gloming, from Old English glomung "twilight", from OE glom
- (or Glengarry bonnet) A brimless Scottish cap with a crease running down the crown, often with ribbons at the back. Named after the title of the clan chief Alexander Ranaldson MacDonell of Glengarry (1771–1828), who invented it.
- Common sense or shrewdness.
- haver or haiver
- To talk nonsense. Scottish and North English dialect.
- A boy.
- A girl.
- Sandy, rolling ground, from Old English hlinc (ridge).
- From pernicky.
- literally "stinking", from Scots "to ming".
- From Gaelic plaide or simply a development of ply, to fold, giving plied then plaid after the Scots pronunciation.
- Borrowed from obsolete French poulenet (little foal) from Latin pullāmen.
- Probably from Dutch schoon.
- From Scots sculduddery
- Cloth being woven in a twilled rather than a plain pattern. from tweel
- Small, tiny, minute.
- Mairi Robinson, ed. (1985). Concise Scots Dictionary (1987 ed.). Aberdeen University Press. p. 260.
- "skulduggery - definition of skulduggery in English from the Oxford dictionary". oxforddictionaries.com.
- "Dictionary of the Scots Language :: SND :: Sculduddery n." dsl.ac.uk.
- "wow - Definition of wow in English by Oxford Dictionaries". Oxford Dictionaries - English.
- "Americanize!: Why the Americanisation of English Is a Good Thing, Seriously... - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
- "Dictionary of the Scots Language :: SND :: Wow interj". www.dsl.ac.uk.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)