List of European countries by area
Below is a list of all countries in Europe, in order of geographical area. Europe's total geographical area is 10,288,305 km².
* — Note: some countries are transcontinental, meaning, they are only partially located in Europe. Those are ranked according to the size of their parts within Europe only.
|1||Russia*||3,972,400||17,098,242 including Russian Asia|
|3||France||551,394||643,801 when the overseas departments are included|
|4||Spain||498,468||505,992 when the Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla are included|
|6||Norway||385,178||This includes Svalbard and Jan Mayen|
|14||Kazakhstan*||180,000 (est.)||2,724,902 including Asian part|
|22||Serbia||77,453||88,361 including Kosovo|
|27||Bosnia and Herzegovina||51,129|
|30||Denmark||44,493||This includes Faroe Islands; 2,210,579 including Greenland|
|32||Netherlands||41,198||Excluding Caribbean Netherlands, Aruba, Curacao and Sint Maarten.|
|37||Turkey*||23,507||783,562 including Asian part|
|40||Kosovo||10,908||Partially recognized state|
|41||Azerbaijan||6,960||86,600 including Asian part|
Europe and Asia are contiguous with each other and thus the exact boundary between them is not clearly defined, and often follows historical, political, and cultural definitions rather than geographical. This list uses the modern geographical definition thus excluding Armenia, Georgia and Cyprus, which are sometimes also considered part of Europe, the two Caucasus nations for political and cultural reasons, and Cyprus because all larger islands in the Mediterranean have historically been considered European, regardless of their proximity to the European mainland.
- List of African countries by area
- List of Asian countries by area
- List of Oceanian countries by area
- List of South American countries by area
- "Updated land cover figures". ssb.no. Retrieved 2015-11-21.