List of FIFA Women's World Cup finals
The FIFA Women's World Cup is an international association football competition established in 1991. It is contested by the women's national teams of the members of Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), the sport's global governing body. The tournament has taken place every four years. The most recent World Cup, hosted by Canada in 2015, was won by the USA, who beat Japan 5–2.
Just like the men's tournament the World Cup final match is the last of the competition, and the result determines which country is declared world champions. If after 90 minutes of regular play the score is a draw, an additional 30-minute period of play, called extra time, is added. If such a game is still tied after extra time it is decided by kicks from the penalty shoot-out. The winning penalty shoot-out area team are then declared champions. The tournament has been decided by a one-off match on every occasion.
List of finals
|*||Match was won with a golden goal|
|Match was won on a penalty shoot-out after extra time|
- The "Year" column refers to the year the World Cup was held, and wikilinks to the article about that tournament. The wikilinks in the "Final score" column point to the article about that tournament's final game. Links in the "Winners" and "Runners-up" columns point to the articles for the national football teams of the countries, not the articles for the countries.
|1991||United States||2–1||Norway||Tianhe Stadium||Guangzhou, China||63,000|||
|1995||Norway||2–0||Germany||Råsunda Stadium||Stockholm, Sweden||17,158|||
|1999||United States||0–0||China PR||Rose Bowl||Pasadena, California||90,185|
|2003||Germany||2–1*||Sweden||Home Depot Center||Carson, California||26,137|||
|2007||Germany||2–0||Brazil||Hongkou Football Stadium||Shanghai, China||31,000|||
|2011||Japan||2–2||United States||Commerzbank-Arena||Frankfurt, Germany||48,817|||
|2015||United States||5–2||Japan||BC Place||Vancouver, Canada||53,341|||
Results by nation
|National team||Wins||Runners-up||Total finals||Years won||Years runners-up|
|United States||3||1||4||1991, 1999, 2015||2011|
Results by confederation
- "USA Women 5-2 Japan. Women". Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Laws of the Game" (PDF). FIFA.com (Fédération Internationale de Football Association). Retrieved 9 February 2009.
- Basler, Barbara (1 December 1991). "Soccer; U.S. women beat Norway to capture World Cup". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- Shannon, David. "Women's World Cup 1995 (Sweden)". rsssf.com. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- Longman, Jere (13 October 2013). "SOCCER; Golden Goal Proves Magical as Germany Captures Women's World Cup". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "FIFA Women's World Cup - Sweden 1995". FIFA.com. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Japan edge out USA on penalties to lift women's World Cup". The Guardian. 18 July 2011. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "USA 5-2 Japan". fifa.com. Retrieved 2 July 2015.