List of French forts in North America
This is a list of forts in New France built by the French government or French Chartered companies in what later became Canada, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, and the United States. They range from large European-type citadels like at Quebec City to tiny fur-trade posts.
The French forts in Canada were located from the Atlantic Ocean to as far west as the confluence of the North and South Saskatchewan rivers, and as far north as James Bay. Built between the 1640s and the 1750s, a few were captured from rival British fur trading companies like Hudson's Bay Company. The forts were located on waterways to provide transport of fur back east to Montreal or Quebec City. A few have survived or been re-built, but most are ruins or simply disappeared after abandonment.
Saint Pierre and Miquelon
|Name||Date constructed ca.||Location||Communes of France||Image|
|Pointe aux Cannon Battery||1690||Saint Pierre Island||Saint-Pierre|
The French forts built in what is now the United States, were part of a series of forts built from the Great Lakes to the Mississippi delta; as far west as the Dakotas, as far east as Maine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to French forts in North America.|
- Military of New France
- List of Hudson's Bay Company trading posts
- List of North American cities by year of foundation
- Canada related
- Canadian Forces base
- Former colonies and territories in Canada
- List of Royal Canadian Air Force stations
- List of Royal Canadian Navy stations
- United States related
- List of United States Army installations
- List of United States Army airfields
- List of United States military bases
- List of United States Navy installations
- List of United States Marine Corps installations
- List of United States Air Force installations
- Québec Citadel. Canadian Register of Historic Places. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Historic District of Old Québec". World Heritage Convention. UNESCO. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- Rene Chartrand (2013). French Fortresses in North America 1535–1763: Quebec, Montreal, Louisbourg and New Orleans. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4728-0317-7.
- Rene Chartrand (2013). The Forts of New France in Northeast America 1600–1763. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4728-0318-4.
- René Chartrand (2010). The Forts of New France: The Great Lakes, the Plains and the Gulf Coast, 1600-1763. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84603-504-3.
- "Landmarks and monuments Saint-Pierre and Miquelon". Archived from the original on 2010-07-25. Retrieved 2010-07-08.