List of Friends schools
Friends schools are institutions that provide an education based on the beliefs and testimonies of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). This article is a list of schools currently or historically associated with the Society of Friends, regardless of their current degree of affiliation.
Friends schools vary greatly, both in their interpretation of Quaker principles and in how they relate to formal organizations that make up the Society of Friends. Most Friends schools are similar in their mission however: to provide an academically sound education while also instilling values of community, spirituality, responsibility and stewardship in their students.
Some institutions founded by Friends were never formally "Quaker schools." Some historically Friends institutions are no longer formally associated with the Society of Friends. Those that continue to call themselves "Quaker schools" may have formal oversight from a Friends yearly or monthly meetings (often called coming "under care of" a meeting), and others are governed by members of the Society of Friends and/or adhere to aspects of Quaker practice.
Because of the wide range of Friends, the branch (or branches) of Quakerism with which the school affiliates are included, and where applicable the Yearly, Quarterly or Monthly Meeting under whose care or governance the school is held is shown.
- 1 Australia
- 2 Belize
- 3 Bolivia
- 4 Canada
- 5 Costa Rica
- 6 El Salvador
- 7 Great Britain
- 8 Honduras
- 9 Ireland (including Northern Ireland)
- 10 Jamaica
- 11 Japan
- 12 Kenya
- 13 Lebanon
- 14 Palestinian West Bank
- 15 Spain
- 16 United States
- 17 Zimbabwe
- 18 References
- 19 External links
- The Friends' School, Hobart, in Hobart, Tasmania: PreK-12th grade, founded by Quakers and governed by Quaker principles. The majority of the school governors are appointed by Australia Yearly Meeting, mostly from the Tasmania Regional Meeting; the Hobart local Meeting House is adjacent to school grounds.
- Belize Friends School, Belize City, (formerly known as Belize Friends Boys School) supported by Friends United Meeting
Bolivian Friends have established several schools, which are supported from the United States by the Bolivian Quaker Education Fund.
- Argenta Friends School, Argenta, B.C., defunct
- Pickering College, Newmarket, Ontario, PreK-12th grade, founded as a Quaker school, "not a Quaker school today"
- Monteverde Friends School, Monteverde, PreK-12th grade, under care of Monteverde Monthly Meeting (Friends General Conference)
- Instituto Teológico de los Amigos de El Salvador, San Salvador, El Salvador, a ministerial training institute under the care of Iglesia de los Amigos en El Salvador
For Northern Ireland, see Ireland below.
- Ackworth School, England; "founded in 1779 by John Fothergill on behalf of The Religious Society of Friends... the School Committee is still accountable to this body"
- Bootham School, York, England; majority of School Committee is appointed by Quakers in Yorkshire, formerly Yorkshire Quarterly Meeting
- Breckenbrough School, England; residential school for boys with behavioral and emotional conditions; a "registered charitable trust school with a Quaker... trusteeship"
- Leighton Park School, Reading, England; independent Quaker boarding and day school; founded in 1890 in part to replace Grove House School in Tottenham, London
- The Mount School, York, England, independent Friends school for girls, founded by Yorkshire Quakers
- Sibford School, England, independent Friends school
- Sidcot School, England, "The School’s... Governing Body, is largely appointed by representatives from Quaker meetings in the South West of England"
Non-Friends schools with Friends connections
- St Christopher School, England, founded by Theosophists and never under care of the Society of Friends, but operated 1925-1980 by the Harris family, who were Quakers
Defunct Friends schools
- Great Ayton Friends' School, England, founded as a school for students whose parents had been disowned by Friends meetings for "marrying out" of meeting, became a general Friends school after 1854, became formally disassociated with Friends in 1991 as "Ayton School," and closed in 1997
- Newington Academy for Girls, Stoke Newington, then just north of London; founded in 1824 by William Allen
- Stramongate School, Kendal, Westmorland (as it was then), operated 1698-1932
- Wennington School, England, closed 1975
- Wigton School, Brookfield, Wigton, England, closed 1984
- Walden School, England, the oldest Friends School, founded in 1702, under the care of Britain Yearly Meeting which indirectly appoints the school's Board of Governors through the Friends' School Saffron Walden General Meeting
- Woodbrooke Quaker Study Centre, adult study centre for United Kingdom Quakers
- Instituto Biblico Jorge Fox, San Marcos Ocotepeque, Honduras, a ministerial training institute under the care of Junta Annual Amigos de Honduras
Ireland (including Northern Ireland)
- Drogheda Grammar School, Drogheda, Co. Meath (Louth), trustees are mostly members of the Society of Friends, not formally under care of a meeting
- Friends' School Lisburn, Lisburn, Northern Ireland, founded in 1774, majority of trustees represent Ulster Quarterly Meeting
- Newtown Junior School,
- Newtown School, Waterford, Ireland
- Rathgar Junior School
- Happy Grove High School, Hectors River, founded by Quakers, now operated by the Jamaican government
- Friends School, Tokyo, Japan, founded by Quaker missionaries, now independent of specific meeting care, but run on Friends principles
All Quaker schools and yearly meetings in Kenya are affiliated with Friends United Meeting. Note that the Friends World Committee for Consultation counts, but does not name, many more Kenyan Friends schools than are listed here,
- Chavakali High School, Kenya
- Friends' Primary School, Mudete, Kenya
- Friends' School, Kamusinga, Kenya
- Friends' School, Kigama, Kenya
- Friends Theological College, Kaimoisi, Kenya
- Friends University Kamoisi Kaimosi, Kenya
- Brummana High School, in Brummana, Lebanon; founded by Theophilus Waldmeier and Cybil & Eli Jones in 1873; it remains in the Friends tradition, managed by British Quakers, serving a wide area of the Middle East
Palestinian West Bank
- EFCI: Evangelical Friends Church International
- FGC: Friends General Conference
- FUM: Friends United Meeting
- NEYM: New England Yearly Meeting
- PYM: Philadelphia Yearly Meeting
- Barclay College, Haviland, Kansas, associated with Friends Church, "an evangelical Friends school which accepts and embraces persons with evangelical Christian beliefs from a variety of denomination backgrounds"
- Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, founded as a Quaker institution, now non-denominational
- Cornell University, founded by Friends, now non-denominational
- Duke University, the founding organization, the Union Institute Society was a group of Methodists and Quakers.
- Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, affiliated with Western Yearly Meeting (FUM)
- Earlham School of Religion, Richmond, Indiana, associated with FUM, but has relations with all branches of the Society of Friends
- Friends University, Wichita, Kansas, founded as a Quaker institution, now non-denominational with "an amicable but independent relationship with the Society of Friends" (EFCI)
- George Fox University, Newberg, Oregon, affiliated with Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends (EFCI)
- Global College, founded as Friends World College by New York Yearly Meeting (Friends General Conference), now part of Long Island University and unaffiliated with Friends
- Guilford College, Greensboro, North Carolina, founded as a Quaker college; draws on Quaker traditions, but has no formal affiliation
- Haverford College, Haverford, Pennsylvania; founded by members of the PYM, became part of the Orthodox PYM after the Hicksite-Orthodox schism; remains rooted in Friends tradition and grounded in Quaker practice, but without formal affiliation
- Houston Graduate School of Theology, Houston, Texas, "identifies with the Quaker movement," grounded in Evangelical Friends theology and practice
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, founded by a Quaker and most early trustees were Quaker, but was always officially non-denominational
- Malone University, Canton, Ohio, sponsored by Evangelical Friends Church - Eastern Region (EFCI)
- Pacific Oaks College, Pasadena, California, graduate school of education based around a children's school founded by Quakers; strong Friends influence but no formal affiliation
- Shimer College, Chicago, Illinois, governance and pedagogy is Quakerly but has no official affiliation with Friends
- Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, founded by Hicksite PYM, now independent
- Whittier College, Whittier, California, founded by Quakers, now secular and independent with "an appreciation for Quaker values"
- William Penn University, Oskaloosa, Iowa, founded by Quakers, no formal affiliation; "The university is firmly rooted in its Christian heritage with certain characteristics distinctive to Quakers, but welcomes faculty, staff and students from all faiths."
- Wilmington College, Wilmington, Ohio, founded by Quakers, associated with Wilmington Yearly Meeting (FUM)
Secondary (high) schools
"Independent Quaker schools" are operated using Quaker principles and often include a majority of Quakers among trustees, but are not formally under care of a meeting.
- Abington Friends School, Abington, Pennsylvania, grades preK-12, under care of Abington Monthly Meeting, PYM (FGC)
- Alexandria Friends School, Alexandria, Virginia, grades 9-12, independent Quaker school
- Brooklyn Friends School, Brooklyn, New York, grades preK-12, independent Quaker school
- Carolina Friends School, Durham, North Carolina, grades preK-12, independent Quaker school
- Delaware Valley Friends School, Paoli, Pennsylvania, specializing in students with learning differences, grades 7-12, under the care of Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting, PYM (FGC)
- Friends Academy, Locust Valley, New York, independent PreK-12 Quaker school
- Friends Bible Training School, Kotzebue, Alaska, supported by Alaska Yearly Meeting (EFCI)
- Friends' Central School, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, grades preK-12, independent Quaker school
- Friends Meeting School Ijamsville, Frederick County, Maryland, grades K-12, independent Quaker school
- Friends School of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, grades preK-12. Pre-preschool options are available as well, known as Baby Friends and Little Friends, which offer daycare for children ages 3 and under. Additionally, it is now an independent Quaker school, but maintains historic ties to Baltimore Monthly Meeting, Stony Run, Baltimore Yearly Meeting (FGC)
- Friends Select School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, grades preK-12, under care of Central Philadelphia Monthly Meeting (Race Street) and the Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia (Arch Street), both PYM (FGC)
- Friends Seminary, New York, New York, grades K-12, under care of New York Quarterly Meeting, New York Yearly Meeting (FGC)
- George School, Newtown, Pennsylvania, grades 9-12, independent; board is self-perpetuating by approval of PYM (FGC)
- Germantown Friends School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, grades preK-12, under care of Germantown Monthly Meeting, PYM (FGC)
- Greenleaf Friends Academy, Greenleaf, Idaho, grades K-12, independent, but affiliated with Northwest Yearly Meeting (EFCI)
- Lincoln School, Providence, Rhode Island, girls grades PreK-12, independent Quaker school
- Mary McDowell Friends School, Brooklyn, New York, specializing in students with learning differences, age 5-18; formerly known as the Mary McDowell Center for Learning
- The Meeting School, Rindge, New Hampshire, formerly an independent Quaker school for grades 9-12; closed in 2011
- Moorestown Friends School, Moorestown, New Jersey, grades PreK-12, Independent, affiliated with Moorestown Monthly Meeting, PYM (FGC)
- Moses Brown School, Providence, Rhode Island, grades preK-12, under care of NEYM (FGC/FUM)
- New Garden Friends School, Greensboro, North Carolina, grades preK-12, independent Quaker school
- Oakwood Friends School, Poughkeepsie, New York, independent grade 6-12 Quaker school
- Olney Friends School, Barnesville, Ohio, grades 9-12, independent Quaker school formerly under the care of Ohio Yearly Meeting (Conservative Friends)
- Portland Friends School, Portland, Oregon, grades preK-12
- Sandy Spring Friends School, Sandy Spring, Maryland, preK-12, under the care of Sandy Spring Monthly Meeting, Baltimore Yearly Meeting (FGC)
- Scattergood Friends School, West Branch, Iowa, grades 9-12, owned and operated by Iowa Yearly Meeting of Friends (Conservative Friends)
- Sidwell Friends School, Washington, DC, grades preK-12, independent Quaker school
- Tandem Friends School, Charlottesville, Virginia, grades 5-12, independent Quaker school
- Virginia Beach Friends School, Virginia Beach, Virginia, grades preK-12, independent Quaker school
- Wellsprings Friends School, Eugene, Oregon, grades 9-12, independent Quaker school, Northern Pacific Yearly Meeting
- Westtown School, Westtown, Pennsylvania, PreK-12 independent Quaker School associated with PYM (FGC)
- Wilmington Friends School, Wilmington, Delaware, grades preK-12, independent but affiliated with Wilmington Monthly Meeting, PYM (FGC)
- William Penn Charter School, Philadelphia, PA, grades preK-12, independent Quaker school associated with PYM; oldest Quaker school in the world, founded in 1689.
- Woolman Semester, Nevada City, California, one-semester program open to grades 11-13, formerly John Woolman School
Lower and middle schools
Note: This section lists schools with grades only below 9th grade. Schools including high school grades are listed above.
- Arthur Morgan School, Celo, North Carolina, grades 7-9, a previously unaffiliated school run under quaker principles that has begun the affiliation process
- Buckingham Friends School, Lahaska, Pennsylvania, grades K-8, under care of Buckingham Monthly Meeting, PYM (FGC)
- Cambridge Friends School Cambridge, Massachusetts, grades preK-8, under care of Friends Meeting at Cambridge, NEYM (FGC/FUM)
- Chappaqua Friends Nursery School, Chappaqua, New York, PreK
- Chicago Friends School, Chicago, Illinois, K-5
- Concord Friends Nursery School, Concordville, Pennsylvania, PreK
- Connecticut Friends School, Wilton, Connecticut, grades K-8, under care of Wilton Friends Meeting, NEYM (FGC/FUM)
- Fairville Friends School, Mendenhall, Chester County, Pennsylvania, PreK
- Frankford Friends School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, grades preK-8, under the care of Frankford Monthly Meeting, PYM (FGC)
- Friends Academy of Westampton, formerly Rancocas Friends Academy, Westampton Township, New Jersey, grades preK-8, independent Quaker school
- Friends Christian School, Yorba Linda, California, grades K-8
- Friends Community School, College Park, Maryland, grades K-8
- Friends School Haverford, Haverford, Pennsylvania, grades preK-8
- Friends School in Detroit, Detroit, Michigan, grades preK-8 (officially closed 2015)
- Friends School of Atlanta, Decatur, Georgia, grades K-8
- Friends School of Charlotte, Charlotte, North Carolina, grades K-4, independent Quaker school
- Friends School of Minnesota, St Paul, Minnesota, grades K-8, independent Quaker school
- Friends School of Portland, Portland, Maine
- Friends School of Wilmington, Wilmington, North Carolina, grades preK-8, informally associated with Wilmington Friends Meeting
- Friends School Mullica Hill, Mullica Hill, New Jersey
- Friends Western School, Pasadena, California, grades preK-5, associated with Orange Grove Meeting
- George Fox Friends School, Cochranville, Pennsylvania, grades PreK-6
- Goshen Friends School, East Goshen, West Chester Area, Pennsylvania, grades preK-5
- Green Mountain Friends School, Burlington, Vermont, ages 5–14 years old
- Greene Street Friends School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, grades preK-8
- Greenwood Friends School, Millville, Pennsylvania, grades preK-8
- Gwynnedd Friends Pre-School & Kindergarten, Lower Gwynedd Township, Pennsylvania, grades preK-K
- Haddonfield Friends School, Haddonfield, New Jersey grades preK-8, independent Quaker school
- Harford Friends School, Street, Maryland, grades 6-8
- Helen Gander Friends Nursery School, Wilton, Connecticut, grade preK
- High Point Friends School, High Point, North Carolina, grades preK-8
- Lansdowne Friends School Lansdowne, Pennsylvania, grades preK-6
- London Grove Friends Nursery School, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, kindergarten
- Media-Providence Friends School, Media, Pennsylvania, grades preK-8
- Newtown Friends School, Newtown, Pennsylvania, grades K-8
- Oak Lane Day Care, Westtown, Pennsylvania, grade preK
- Orchard Friends School, Riverton, New Jersey, specializing in students with learning differences, grades K-8
- Pacific Ackworth Friends School, Temple City, California
- Pacific Friends School, Temple City, California, preschool
- Plymouth Meeting Friends School, Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, grades K-6
- Princeton Friends School, Princeton, New Jersey, grades preK-8, under care of Princeton Monthly Friends Meeting, PYM (FGC)
- The Quaker School at Horsham, Horsham, Pennsylvania, grades 1-8
- Rancocas Friends School, Rancocas, Burlington County, New Jersey, grades PreK-K, under care of Rancocas Monthly Meeting, PYM (FGC)
- Richmond Friends School, Richmond, Indiana, grades Preschool through 8
- Ridgewood Friends Neighborhood Nursery School, Ridgewood, New Jersey, preschool
- San Francisco Friends School, San Francisco, California, grades K-8
- Scarsdale Friends Nursery School, Scarsdale, New York, preschool
- School for Friends, Washington, DC, preschool
- State College Friends School, State College, Pennsylvania, grades K-8
- Stratford Friends School, Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, grades K-8
- Swarthmore Friends Nursery School, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, preschool
- United Friends School, Quakertown, Pennsylvania, grades preK-8
- West Chester Friends School, West Chester, Pennsylvania, grades preK-5
- Westbury Friends School, Westbury, New York, grades preK-5
- Westfield Friends School, Cinnaminson, New Jersey, grades preK-8
- Whittier Friends School, Whittier, California, grades K-6
- Wichita Friends School, Wichita, Kansas, grades preK-6, independent Quaker school, affiliated with EFCI
- John Woolman College Brattleboro, Vermont
- Pendle Hill Quaker Center for Study and Contemplation, Wallingford, Pennsylvania
- Woolman Hill Quaker Center, Deerfield, Massachusetts
- Hlekweni Friends Rural Service, a training center outside Bulawayo, affiliated with Central and Southern Africa Yearly Meeting
- "Quaker Education: What's Different about a Friends School? - BoardingSchoolReview.com". BoardingSchoolReview.com. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Friends United Meeting page". Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Bolivian Quaker Education Fund". www.bqef.org. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Pickering College: Quakerism". Pickering College. Archived from the original on 2008-12-22. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Monteverde Friends School -K-12 Bilingual Quaker Education". Monteverde Friends School. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-09-18. Retrieved 2009-10-11. Ackworth School: Ethos and Mission
- "Bootham School Governance page". Archived from the original on 2 October 2009. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Breckenbrough - Residential School for Boys with Special Needs". Breckenbrough School. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- ""About St Christopher"" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- Stramongate School at Visit Cumbria
- Stramongate School documents preserved
- "Wigton Old Scholars Association, including a brief history of the school". Archived from the original on 2012-08-05.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-03-02. Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- "Lisburn School History page". Archived from the original on 7 May 2007. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Happy Grove Alumni Association history page". Archived from the original on 20 May 2009. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Friends World Committee for Consultation". Archived from the original on 24 January 2009. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "The Religious Society of Friends". ftc.quaker.org. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Klamath Falls Friends Church page on FU Kamoisi". Archived from the original on 31 May 2008. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- from the Friends University History page Archived 2008-09-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- "HGST statement of faith". Archived from the original on 17 September 2000. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Founded by Friends, Scarecrow Press summary". Archived from the original on 4 October 2008. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Values and Traditions". Whittier College. Archived from the original on 2008-08-28. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Quaker Heritage". William Penn University. Archived from the original on 2008-05-04. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Independent Quaker pre-K to 12 day school in Durham NC - Carolina Friends School". www.cfsnc.org. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Private School for Children with LD & Dyslexia in Philadelphia - DVFS". www.dvfs.org. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Home". Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- Flavors, Visual. "Friends Meeting School Home - Ijamsville, MD". friendsmeetingschool.org. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "NW Yearly meeting reference to Greenleaf". Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Olney School history". Archived from the original on 2 January 2009. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Buckingham Friends School page about Buckingham Friends Meeting". Archived from the original on 9 December 2008. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "A Private Day School in Cambridge, MA - Cambridge Friends School". www.cambridgefriendsschool.org. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Cambridge Friends School fast facts". Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Chicago Friends School". Chicago Friends School. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "CT Friends School history". Archived from the original on 26 December 2008. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- http://www.fsmn.org Friends School of Minnesota
- "A progressive, private co-op school in Pasadena, California". FRIENDS WESTERN SCHOOL. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Home". www.lansdownefriendsschool.org. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Rancocas meeting site". Archived from the original on 24 January 2009. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Richmond Friends School - Richmond, Indiana". www.richmondfriendsschool.org. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Friends Neighborhood Nursery School". Friends Neighborhood Nursery School. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Stratford Friends School". www.stratfordfriends.org. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "westchesterfriends". westchesterfriends. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Home – Westbury Friends School". Westbury Friends School. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Westfield Friends School". Westfield Friends School. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "EFC-MAYM affiliates". Archived from the original on 5 July 2008. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Wichita Friends School - My CMS". www.wichitafriendsschool.org. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "John Woolman College". Archived from the original on 25 August 2012. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "About Hlekweni - Samathonga Primary School". www.quaker.org. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- A list of Quaker-originated colleges and universities
- Another list of Friends schools
- Friends Council on Education (includes school finder)
- List of Friends Schools in the U.K. and bibliographical sources for their study (including schools now closed)