List of GameMaker Studio games
Game development on the GameMaker Studio cross-platform game engine, published by YoYo Games, is supported for Android, Fire OS, HTML5, iOS, Linux distributions, macOS, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Development was also previously supported on PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Tizen, and Windows Phone, though had been deprecated in GameMaker Studio 2, the latest edition of the engine released by YoYo Games.
|10 Second Ninja X||Action||Four Circle Interactive||Curve Digital||19 July 2016||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||Yes|||
|12 Is Better Than 6||Shoot 'em up||Ink Stains Games||HypeTrain Digital||20 November 2015||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Alone with You||Action adventure||Benjamin Rivers, Inc||Benjamin Rivers, Inc||10 February 2017||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A|||
|AM2R||Action adventure||Milton Guasti||Milton Guasti||6 August 2016||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Another Perspective||Puzzle adventure||Shaun Spalding||ShaunJS, Digerati Distribution||9 August 2014||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Bamboo EP||Sokpop Collective||Sokpop Collective||16 December 2016||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden||Role-playing||Tales of Game's Studios||Tales of Game's Studios||22 January 2008||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Battleships Forever||Real-time tactics||Sean Chan||Sean Chan||Unreleased[c]||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Blackhole||Puzzle platform||FiolaSoft Studio||FiolaSoft Studio||27 February 2015||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||Yes|||
|Blazing Chrome||Shoot 'em up||JoyMasher||JoyMasher||TBA||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Clean Asia!||Shoot 'em up||Jonatan Söderström||Jonatan Söderström||c. 2007||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Cook, Serve, Delicious!||Simulation||Vertigo Gaming||Vertigo Gaming||5 October 2012||Yes||Yes||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!||Simulation||Vertigo Gaming||Vertigo Gaming||14 September 2017||Yes||Yes||N/A||Yes||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A|||
|Crashlands||Action-adventure||Butterscotch Shenanigans||Butterscotch Shenanigans||21 January 2016||Yes||Yes||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Death's Gambit||Action||White Rabbit||Adult Swim Games||14 August 2018||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A|||
|Deltarune||Role-playing||Toby Fox||Toby Fox||31 October 2018||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A|||
|Don't Sink||Action role-playing||Sebastian Nigro, Christopher Anselmo, Daniel Marques||Studio Eris||13 April 2018||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Downwell||Roguelike||Ojiro Fumoto||Devolver Digital||14 October 2015||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||Yes||N/A|||
|Gods Will Be Watching||Puzzle adventure||Deconstructeam||Devolver Digital||24 July 2014||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Gunpoint||Puzzle platform||Suspicious Developments||Suspicious Developments||3 June 2013||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Heartbound||Role-playing||Pirate Software||Pirate Software||25 December 2018||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Heat Signature||Action||Suspicious Developments||Suspicious Developments||21 September 2017||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Hotline Miami||Shoot 'em up||Dennaton Games||Devolver Digital||23 October 2012||Yes||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A|||
|Hyper Light Drifter||Action role-playing||Heart Machine||Playism||31 March 2016||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||N/A||Yes|||
|Iji||Platform||Daniel Remar||Daniel Remar||1 September 2008||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Katana Zero||Action Platformer||Askiisoft||Devolver Digital||17 April 2019||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Kingsway||Role playing||Andrew Moorish||Adult Swim Games||18 July 2017||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Kuso||Platform||Fred Wood||Fred Wood||7 November 2017||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes|||
|Love||Platform||Fred Wood||Fred Wood||c. May 2008||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Maldita Castilla||Action||Locomalito||Locomalito||12 December 2012||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Mondo Medicals||Puzzle||Jonatan Söderström||Jonatan Söderström||13 September 2007||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Nidhogg||Fighting||Messhof||Messhof||13 January 2014||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A|||
|Nidhogg 2||Fighting||Messhof||Messhof||15 August 2017||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A|||
|Nuclear Throne||Shoot 'em up||Vlambeer||Vlambeer||5 December 2015||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A|||
|Orbit||Shoot 'em up||4Bit Games||4Bit Games||30 September 2015||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes|||
|Police Stories||Shoot 'em up||Mighty Morgan||HypeTrain Digital||TBA||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Rivals of Aether||Fighting||Dan Fornace||Dan Fornace||28 March 2017||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A||Yes|||
|Risk of Rain||Roguelike||Hopoo Games||Chucklefish||8 November 2013||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||N/A|||
|Soft Body||Action||Zeke Virant||Zeke Virant||17 May 2016||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A|| |
|Solstice||Role-playing||MoaCube||MoaCube||23 March 2016||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Spelunky||Roguelike||Mossmouth||Mossmouth||21 December 2008||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A|||
|Super Snake HD||Puzzle||Mark Overmars||YoYo Games||16 June 2011||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Tower of Heaven||Platform||Askiisoft||Askiisoft||13 August 2009||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human||Action adventure||YCJY||YCJY||19 January 2016||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||Yes||N/A||Yes|||
|The Red Strings Club||Adventure||Deconstructeam||Devolver Digital||22 January 2018||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|The Swords of Ditto||Action role-playing||Onebitbeyond||Devolver Digital||24 April 2018||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A|||
|Uncanny Valley||Survival||Cowardly Creations||Cowardly Creations||25 April 2015||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Undertale||Role-playing||Toby Fox||Toby Fox||15 September 2015||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||N/A|||
|VA-11 HALL-A||Simulation||Sukeban Games||Ysbryd Games||21 June 2016||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||N/A|||
|Wandersong||Puzzle adventure||Greg Lobanov||Humble Bundle||27 September 2018||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
|Way of the Passive Fist||Fighting||Household Games Inc.||Household Games Inc.||6 March 2018||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||Yes|| |
|Wuppo||Puzzle platform||Knuist & Perzik||Soedesco||29 September 2016||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||Yes|||
|ZeroRanger||Shoot 'em up||System Erasure||System Erasure||28 September 2018||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|||
- Date of first completed public release, regardless of platform or region.
- All games on this list were released on Microsoft Windows, except for Super Snake HD. Spelunky was released on Chrome OS, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. Hotline Miami was released on PlayStation 3.
- Battleships Forever has remained in its beta phase since its c. 2007 debut.
- Corriea, Alexa Ray (22 January 2014). "This will let you say 'Happy Birthday,' 'Get Well Soon' with a video game". Polygon. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Moore, Bo (31 July 2014). "No coding required: How new designers are using GameMaker to create indie smash hits". PC Gamer. Archived from the original on 2 December 2014. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Dominowski, Tori (12 March 2017). "GDC17: GameMaker Studios 2.0 Takes On Industry Titans". Broken Joysticks. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
While Studio 2 does support a few new platforms such as Microsoft’s new Universal Windows Platform and Android TV, several of said niche platforms such as the PlayStation Vita, Samsung’s Tizen OS, and Windows Phone 8 have been removed.
- Lawler, Richard (9 March 2018). "'Undertale' marks the arrival of GameMaker Studio 2 for Switch". Engadget. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Sarkar, Samit (19 March 2014). "Sony introduces new indie-oriented PS4 development tools". Polygon. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
As of today, YoYo Games' GameMaker: Studio offers native support for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita free to all licensed PlayStation developers.
- Hillier, Brenna (7 September 2016). "GameMaker's Humble Bundle has some great games – and the tools to make your own". VG247. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
...Uncanny Valley; Cook, Serve, Delicious; Ink, Shep Hard, and Angry Chicken: Egg Madness [...] Extreme Burger Defense, Freeway Mutant [...] Galactic Missile Defense, Solstice, and Home [...] 10 Second Ninja X GameMaker Edition [...] Flop Rocket.
- "12 Is Better Than 6". GiantBomb. 25 October 2015. Archived from the original on 5 July 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
The game has been developed on the engine Gamemaker: Studio.
- Vincent, Brittany (12 September 2018). "Steam's Made with GameMaker Sale has Undertale, Crashlands, and more on the cheap". Shacknews. Archived from the original on 21 October 2018. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
Other standouts include Alone With You...
- Craddock, David L. (19 September 2016). "Better Than Black and White: One Man's Decade-Long Quest to Remake 'Metroid II'". Vice. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
After getting his feet wet with GameMaker's UI and logic scripting, he prepared to tackle his biggest challenge yet: a total remake of 1991's Metroid II: Return of Samus for Game Boy.
- Inside Games JP staff (24 February 2014). "プログラミング知識が無くても作れるゲーム開発ソフトウェア「GameMaker Studio」の通常版が3月頭まで無料リリース中". Inside Games JP (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 19 October 2018. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
He also released the "Braid" style action game "Another Perspective" using YoYo Games' game development software "GameMaker Studio"...
- Couture, Joel (23 January 2017). "Road to the IGF: Sokpop Collective's Bamboo Heart". Gamasutra. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
What development tools were used to build your game? [...] Gamemaker Studio.
- Yao, Tony (18 July 2018). "Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden Review". Yatta-Tachi. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden was made on GameMaker: Studio
- Bardinelli, John (12 January 2008). "Weekend Download No. 23". Jay Is Games. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
The game is still in beta...
- Ong, Germaine, ed. (February 2008). GameAxis Unwired Issue 53. Singapore Press Holdings. p. 32. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
...Battleships Forever was written in Game Maker...
- Murphy, Patrick (4 March 2014). "FiolaSoft Studio announced the game Blackhole through Steam Greenlight, collaborating with YouTubers". Gamasutra. Archived from the original on 15 December 2014. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
Factsheet: [...] Engine: Game Maker Studio 1.3...
- Jarod (14 August 2018). "Undertale est confirmé pour septembre sur Switch". Gamekult (in French). Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
The catalog of GameMaker Studio 2 includes games like Hyper Light Drifter, Death's Gambit, The Red Strings Club, Nidhogg 2, Blazing Chrome, Maldita Castilla and VA-11 HALL-A.
- Murphy, Patrick (15 February 2008). "Road To The IGF: Clean Asia! Takes Aim At Innovation". Gamasutra. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
What sort of development tools did you use to make it? [...] I used Game Maker to create the game...
- Cowley, Ric (17 February 2016). "Two years of cancer and crafting: The making of Crashlands". Pocket Gamer. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
...he had started making a prototype in Game Maker of what would eventually become Crashlands.
- Kim, Matt (31 October 2018). "Undertale Creator's New Game Also Has an Uninstalling Bug". USgamer. Archived from the original on 18 November 2018. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
But Fox says that they used Game Maker Studio 2's default uninstaller so the problem could lie somewhere else.
- Nitro (19 December 2018). "Don't Sink Sails Into The Nintendo Switch Next Month". NintendoSoup. Archived from the original on 16 February 2019. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- YoYo Games staff (2019). "Don't Sink". YoYo Games. Archived from the original on 16 February 2019. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- Ellison, Cara (12 April 2015). "The Japanese Developer Of Downwell Used To Be An Opera Singer". Kotaku. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
Made with Gamemaker Studio, Downwell was picked up by Devolver.
- Mitchell, Richard (23 January 2015). "How to make a game in an hour, no experience required". Engadget. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
...the engine that powers games like Spelunky, Hotline Miami, Risk of Rain, Gods Will Be Watching, Nidhogg and many, many more.
- Benson, Julian (17 February 2015). "PlayTech buys YoYo Games, owner of GameMaker: Studios, for $16.4m". PCGamesN. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
GameMaker: Studio, the game engine used to make games like Gunpoint, Hotline Miami, and Risk of Rain.
- Jagneaux, David (27 January 2017). "Heartbound First Hands-On Preview: Could This Be the Next Undertale?". IGN. Archived from the original on 10 January 2019. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
...using Game Maker, the same engine powering Heartbound.
- Rose, Mike (7 August 2014). "How Gunpoint dev Tom Francis settled on his next commercial game". Gamasutra. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
"So my main reason for even starting Heat Signature was 'I think I know how to make this in Game Maker!'" he laughs.
- Wawro, Alex (19 January 2017). "Road to the IGF: Heart Machine's Hyper Light Drifter". Gamasutra. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
What development tools were used to build Hyper Light Drifter? [...] GameMaker Studio
- SHCC (6 May 2010). "A case study in truly mature gaming: Iji". The Escapist. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
...Iji is, [...] developed by Daniel Remar using Game Maker.
- YoYo Games staff (2016). "Kingsway by Andrew Morrish". YoYo Games. Archived from the original on 2 June 2019. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- YoYo Games staff (2017). "Kingsway by Andrew Morrish". YoYo Games. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- YoYo Games staff (2019). "Kuso by Fred Wood". YoYo Games. Archived from the original on 16 February 2019. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- W., Tim (31 May 2008). "Indie Game Pick: Love (Fred Wood)". IndieGames. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- W., Tim (26 December 2010). "More Game Maker Mac OS X Ports". IndieGames. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
Game Maker releases have been ported for the Mac OS X, meaning that Mac owners now have the chance to play Clean Asia, Mondo Medicals, Fractal Fighter and Illegal Communication...
- Famularo, Jessica (28 September 2017). "The best game engines for making your own 2D indie game". PC Gamer. Archived from the original on 16 May 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
GameMaker Studio 2 [..] Notable games: Nidhogg, Hyper Light Drifter, Undertale, Risk of Rain
- Grubb, Jeff (3 September 2017). "GameMaker Studio creators look back at 17 years of development". VentureBeat. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
Highlights include the gravitational physics puzzler Orbit [...] Cox points to how so many indie creators have embraced the tool. He points to recent hits like Undertale, Spelunky, Nuclear Throne, and Hotline Miami.
- DevGAMM staff (2018). "DevGAMM GamesHub - Police Stories". DevGAMM Moscow 2018. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
Technology: GameMaker: Studio
- Zando (8 May 2018). "Rivals Of Aether Release Date Moved To "Late 2018 – Mid 2019"". NintendoSoup. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
...Dan confirmed that the Switch port of Rivals would be built in Game Maker Studio 2...
- Brown, Mark (1 December 2014). "Check out Soft Body and the other winners of our Big Indie Pitch at hoPlay in Bilbao". Pocket Gamer. Archived from the original on 16 February 2019. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- YoYo Games staff (2017). "Soft Body". YoYo Games. Archived from the original on 20 April 2017. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- Chan, Stephanie (24 May 2018). "YoYo Games will publish indie titles made with its GameMaker Studio engine". VentureBeat. Archived from the original on 6 September 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
Dumb and Fat Games used GameMaker Studio to develop its musical adventure Wandersong. [...] GameMaker: Studio and GameMaker Studio 2, which can be seen in action in indie darlings like Mossmouth’s Spelunky...
- Hamel, Ernst-Jan (4 July 2011). "Hoogleraar maakt game voor iPhone, iPad en Android". Utrecht University (in Dutch). Archived from the original on 23 October 2018. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
Super Snake HD, made with Game Maker, has been out for iPhone, iPod and iPad since mid-June and for Android devices.
- FlashyGoodness (8 November 2010). "Tower of Heaven". Armor Games. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
Tower of Heaven was first released as a Game Maker title...
- Diver, Mike (18 January 2016). "'The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human' Is a Cool Game That Raises the Hot Topic of Climate Change". Vice. Archived from the original on 7 September 2018. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
We've talked about wanting it on Vita, but I have no idea how that works with GameMaker, which it's built in...
- Yarwood, Jack (7 May 2018). "Making every procedurally-generated playthrough feel unique in Swords of Ditto". Gamasutra. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
Aided by a robust toolset created by studio lead Jonathan Biddle for GameMaker Studio...
- Jagneaux, David (8 April 2018). "11 Games You Didn't Know About (But Should)". IGN. Archived from the original on 5 July 2018. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
...In fact, this is not so much a brawler as a game of memory and rhythm..
- YoYo Games staff (2018). "Way of the Passive Fist". YoYo Games. Archived from the original on 18 April 2018. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- New, Daniel (9 March 2018). "GameMaker Studio 2 to support Nintendo Switch". Thumbsticks. Archived from the original on 8 September 2018. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
The 2D game development platform has been used for a number of popular games, including Spelunky, Hyper Light Drifter, and Wuppo.
- Mark MSX (19 November 2018). "Episode XVIII: The Chosen One! Interview with Zero Ranger Developers". The Electric Underground: A Shmup Podcast (Podcast). SoundCloud. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to GameMaker Studio.|