List of Georgia state symbols
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This is a list of state symbols for the U.S. state of Georgia
|Amphibian||American green tree frog
|Art Museum||Georgia Museum of Art.
|Atlas||The Atlas of Georgia.
|Ballet Company||Atlanta Ballet.
- State Beef Barbecue Championship Cook-off- The Hawkinsville Civitan Club’s “Shoot the Bull” barbecue championship
- State Bird- Brown thrasher (Toxostoma rufum)
- State Botanical garden- The State Botanical Garden of Georgia
- State Butterfly- Eastern tiger swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)
- State Commemorative Plates- Georgia Historical Plates
- State Creed- Georgian's Creed
- State Crop- Peanut
- State Fish- Largemouth bass
- State Flag- Georgia State Flag
- State Flower- Cherokee Rose (Rosa laevigata)
- State Folk Dance- Square Dance
- State Folk Festival- Georgia Folk Festival
- State Folk Life Play- “Swamp Gravy”
- State Fossil- Shark tooth
- State Fruit- Peach
- State Game Bird-Bobwhite quail
- State Gem- Quartz
- State Historic Drama- “The Reach of Song” presented on the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds near Hiawassee
- State Insect- Honeybee
- State Marine Mammal- North Atlantic Right Whale (Eubalaena glacialis)
- State Mineral- Staurolite
- State Motto- "Wisdom, Justice, Moderation"
- State Musical Theatre- "Jekyll Island Musical Theatre Festival"
- State Peanut Monument- Turner County on the west side of Interstate Highway 75 within the limits of the city of Ashburn
- State Poet Laureate- Judson Mitcham
- State Pork Cook-off- The Dooly County Chamber of Commerce’s “Slosheye Trail Big Pig Jig”
- State 'Possum- Pogo 'Possum
- State Poultry- "The Poultry Capitol of the World"
- State Prepared Food- Grits
- State Railroad Museum- The Central of Georgia Railroad Shops Complex, Savannah
- State Reptile- Gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus)
- State School- Plains High School
- State Seal- Great Seal of Georgia
- State Seashell- Knobbed Whelk
- State Song- Georgia on My Mind, lyrics by Stuart Gorrell and music by Hoagy Carmichael; the previous State Song "Georgia" was composed by Lollie Belle Wylie with words by Robert Loveman.
- State Tartan- Georgia Tartan
- State Theater- Springer Opera House, Columbus
- State Tree- Southern Live Oak (Quercus virginiana)
- State Transportation History Museum- Southeastern Railway Museum
- State Vegetable- Vidalia sweet onion
- State Waltz- "Our Georgia"
- State Wildflower- Azalea
- Smith, Kelundra (April 28, 2015). "Preview: Oakland Cemetery will come to life Saturday with sound art of "Cryptophonic Tour"". Atlanta, Georgia: Arts Atl. Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Crouch, Kenneth E. (March 1950). "The State Song of Georgia". The Georgia Historical Quarterly. Savannah, Georgia: Georgia Historical Society. 34 (1): 8–9. ISSN 0016-8297. JSTOR 40577207.