Governor-General of Antigua and Barbuda
|Governor-General of Antigua and Barbuda|
Coat of Arms of Antigua and Barbuda
|Residence||Government House, Antigua and Barbuda|
|Appointer||Monarch of Antigua and Barbuda|
|Term length||At Her Majesty's pleasure|
|Formation||1 November 1981|
|First holder||Sir Wilfred Jacobs|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Antigua and Barbuda
The Governor-General of Antigua and Barbuda is the representative of the Monarch of Antigua and Barbuda, currently being Queen Elizabeth II. The official residence of the Governor-General is Government House.
The position of Governor-General was established when Antigua and Barbuda was granted independence on 1 November 1981, prior to which there had existed the equivalent position of Governor of Antigua and Barbuda.
Governors-General of Antigua and Barbuda (1981–present)
|Took office||Left office||Name
|1 November 1981||10 June 1993||Sir Wilfred Jacobs
|10 June 1993||30 June 2007||Sir James Carlisle
|17 July 2007||14 August 2014||Dame Louise Lake-Tack
|14 August 2014||Incumbent||Sir Rodney Williams
Constitutional powers, functions and duties
The office of Governor-General is provided for by Chapter III, Sections 22 to 26 of the Constitution. These state:
:22.- There shall be a Governor-General of Antigua and Barbuda who shall be a citizen appointed by Her Majesty and shall hold office during Her Majesty's pleasure and who shall be Her Majesty's representative in Antigua and Barbuda.
- 1. During any period when the office of Governor-General is vacant or the holder of the office of Governor-General is absent from Antigua and Barbuda or is for any other reason unable to perform the functions of his office those functions shall be performed by such person as Her Majesty may appoint.
- 2. Any such person as aforesaid shall not continue to perform the functions of the office of Governor-General if the holder of the office of Governor-General has notified him that he is about to assume or resume those functions.
- 3. The holder of the office of Governor-General shall not for the purposes of this section, be regarded as absent from Antigua and Barbuda or as unable to perform the functions of his office-
- a. by reason that he is in passage from one part of Antigua and Barbuda to another; or
- b. at any time when there is a subsisting appointment of a deputy under section 25 of this Constitution.
- 24.- A person appointed to hold or act in the office of Governor-General shall, before entering upon the duties of that office, take and subscribe the oath of allegiance and the oath of office.
- 1. When the Governor-General-
- a. has occasion to be absent from the seat of government but not from Antigua and Barbuda;
- b. has occasion to be absent from Antigua and Barbuda for a period that he considers, in his discretion, will be of short duration,
- - he may, acting in accordance with the advice of the Prime Minister, appoint any person in Antigua and Barbuda to be his deputy during such absence or illness and in that capacity to perform on his behalf such of the functions of the office of Governor-General as may be specified in the instrument by which he is appointed.
- 2. The power and authority of the Governor-General shall not be abridged, altered or in any way affected by the appointment of a deputy under this section, and subject to the provisions of this Constitution, a deputy shall conform to and observe all instructions that the Governor-General, in his discretion, may from time to time address to him:
- Provided that the question whether or not a deputy has conformed to and observed any such instructions shall not be enquired into by any court of law.
- 3. A person appointed as deputy under this section shall hold that appointment for such period as may be specified in the instrument by which he is appointed, and his appointment may be revoked at any time by the Governor-General, acting in accordance with the advice of the Prime Minister.
- 26.- The Governor-General shall keep and use the Public Seal for sealing all things that shall pass under the Public Seal.
- List of Prime Ministers of Antigua and Barbuda
- List of colonial governors and administrators of Antigua
|This Antigua and Barbuda-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|