List of Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids episodes
Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids (or Grizzly Tales) is a series of books by Jamie Rix and a TV series produced for ITV. The original TV series was based on the award winning collections of cautionary tales by Jamie Rix. Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids, Ghostly Tales for Ghastly Kids, Fearsome Tales for Fiendish Kids and More Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids. The series was narrated by Nigel Planer and animated by Sara and Simon Bor of Wolves Witches & Giants fame.
In all, six series and a New Year's special ran from 2000 to 2007 on ITV and Grizzly Tales was consistently one of the highest rated children's animation shows on the channel. In 2011, a new 26 re-invention of the show was produced for Nickelodeon UK and NickToons UK. It was awarded Best Children's Programme at the Broadcast Awards 2012.
The BAFTA-nominated show has picked up many other awards including Animated Series and Children's Choice at the British Animation Awards, and Children's Animated series at Cartoons on the Bay.
The show is available on DVD through ITV in the UK, Porchlight in the USA and Time Life in Australia. Orion Audiobooks have also released full CD recordings of the books, read by Rupert Degas. Audio Go have re-released the original Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids audio book on CD and download.
The series is produced by Grizzly TV.
In 2010 Nickelodeon UK and NickToons UK started broadcasting the original series. The re-invented series airs from 2011 on Nickelodeon UK and Nicktoons UK.
In 2009, CITV started repeating the original series.
Season 1 (2000)
- The New Nanny (4 January 2000) Tristram and Candy Frightfullybusy (are horrible to their nanny, but soon they have her back after other nannies teach them a lesson, also eaten by their other nannies) Always treat your nannies with respect and never lie.
- The Spaghetti Man (11 January 2000) Timothy King (gets turned into a lasagna) Always eat your food on the table.
- Grandmother's Footsteps (18 January 2000) Jolyon (finds out his grandmother is a ghost) Don't get over excited over bedtime stories.
- Death By Chocolate (25 January 2000) Serena Slurp (turns into a chocolate fly and swatted) don't eat too much chocolate or be mean to siblings.
- The Wooden Hill (31 January 2000) Jack (finds courage to climb his creepy staircase) overcome your fear of the dark and do not allow your imagination to get the better of you.
- A Tangled Web (7 February 2000) Nigel (keeps his mouth shut forever). Always pay attention to your parents AND try not to torture and kill spiders.
- The Princess's Clothes (14 February 2000) Felicity (tears her plain clothes with sewing scissors) do not be spoiled or too obsessed with clothes.
- Burgerskip (21 February 2000) Oswald O'Burger (gets dragged underground by a tree) don't destroy the environment
- The Barber of Civil (28 February 2000) Tanya and Peregrin (get the bad parts of their tongues cut off) always be polite.
- The Chipper Chums Go Scrumping (6 March 2000) Col, Algy, Alice, Ginger, Sam and Stinker (get squeezed into cider) never steal from others.
- The History Lesson (13 March 2000) Elizabeth (fails her history test) concentrate during tests.
- Sweets (20 March 2000) Thomas Ratchet (gets made into a shop window dummy) always behave in shops and don't expect your parents to buy sweets if you pester them or misbehave.
- Dr. Moribundus (27 March 2000) Lorelei Lee (gets cured of No School-itis) don't feign illness to get days off school.
Season 2 (2001)
- Jack in a Box (23 April 2001) Jack DeLaunay (turns into a ventriloquist's dummy) don't interrupt others constantly or be a chatterbox.
- Glued to the Telly (10 April 2001) Herbert Hinckley (turns into a cheese and onion crisp) do not watch too much television.
- The Cat Burglar (12 April 2001) Fedora Funklefink (gets eaten by a tiger named Tigor) don't trick others for the money they offer.
- Mr Peeler's Butterflies (16 April 2001) Alexander (has never slept again for the rest of his life) go to sleep when told.
- An Elephant Never Forgets (26 April 2001) Percy and Belinda Crumpdump (get flattened by an elephant). Do not believe that magic is a toy.
- The Childhood Snatcher (9 April 2001) Albert Stirling (girl, turns into an old lady) Albert's dad Amos (hangs his head like a very naughty boy) leave children alone with their childhood.
- The Giant Who Grew Too Big for His Boots (17 April 2001) Huge Hugh (shrinks down to the size of a snail) do not take up anybody's space.
- Prince Noman (19 April 2001) Leticia (has an invisible baby). A family must always stick together.
- Tag (18 April 2001) Terry (confesses to his mother that he's a thief) don't steal or get jealous.
- The Litter Bug (24 April 2001) Bunty Porker (gets eaten by a huge litter bug) Colonel Buffy (escorts the Earth) never pollute, litter or be wasteful.
- Fat Boy with a Trumpet (25 April 2001) Johnny Bullneck (gets struck by lightning) don't bully or torture other children at school.
- The Broken Down Cottage (11 April 2001) Augustus and his friend, Arthur (die in a fire and become ghosts). Never run away from home or play pranks on the 999 emergency people.
- Well'ard Willard (27 April 2001) Willard (melts into a puddle of water). Don't make up your own stories to other school children just to earn the center of attention and become the best, or hide those things from your parents as well.
Season 3 (2002-2003)
- The Upset Stomach (10 December 2002) Ethel Turnip (gets eaten by her pet stomach) you can't neglect your pets.
- Knock Down Ginger (17 December 2002) Ginger Pie (gets eaten by Mr. Thrips' termites) don't play pranks, even if you hate that person.
- The Locked Door (24 December 2002) Ishbell (opens the locked door when the old man asks) don't wonder too much.
- Simon Sulk (30 December 2002) Simon (gets eaten by trolls) don't sulk.
- The Urban Fox (7 January 2003) Pierce and Tamara (hide in the sewers for the rest of their lives) don't try to kill foxes nor commit criminal damage through the neighborhood.
- When the Bed Bugs Bite (14 January 2003) Hannibal (turns into a giant bed bug and split in half with a shoe like a pistachio nut) don't bite people.
- Spoilsport (21 January 2003) Girl (turns into a puddle of smelly brown sludge) believe what you like, but don't tease people for what they believe in.
- The Pie Man (28 January 2003) Donald (gets baked into a pie) don't suck your thumb, except when you're a baby.
- Head in the Clouds (4 February 2003) Brian (has his head locked in a box of clouds forever) don't daydream too much.
- Dirty Bertie (11 February 2003) Bertie Bath (is forced to marry an ugly alien) always take a bath.
- Crocodile Tears (18 February 2003) Gwendolyn Howling (gets eaten by a crocodile) don't cry to get what you want.
- Little Fingers (25 February 2003) Daffid Thomas (gets all his fingers chopped off by the "Pizza Mafioso") don't fiddle and don't call people you don't know.
Season 4 (2004)
- Revenge of the Bogeyman (2 April 2004) Dee Doodah (learns that bogeys have feelings) don't flick bogeys.
- It's Only a Game, Sport! (2 April 2004) Bruce (gets swallowed by a snake) don't be a sore winner/sore loser and don't cheat.
- The People Potter (16 April 2004) Greta Gorky (gets turned into pottery) always be careful.
- The Gas Man Cometh (16 April 2004) Stefan (floats into space from too much helium, when the Gas Man pays a visit, and his phone goes dead) don't prank call.
- Bogman (16 April 2004) Helen (cleans up all the peat from the house) don't shirk and always help your family with the washing up.
- Bunny Boy (23 April 2004) Bill (turns into a rabbit) eat your greens.
- Bessy O'Messy (23 April 2004) Bessy (shrinks in the wash) tidy your bedroom when asked.
- Goblin Mountain (30 April 2004) Joe Alexander (gets turned into a tree as a punishment by the goblins) always treat books with respect and never tear them apart.
- Superstitious Nonsense (30 April 2004) Araminta Jane Gaslamp (gets squashed by a cow) don't be superstitious.
- Athlete's Foot (7 May 2004) Antony St. John-Smythe (gets hit by a bomb) be humble about winning.
- The Stick Men (7 May 2004) Chico's abusive parents (die in a helicopter accident after the goblins draw a picture of it) always have time to bond with your child and never abuse them or try to get rid of them, even if you have a troubled relationship with your child.
- The Grass Monkey (14 May 2004) Esmerelda (gets eaten by a cow) don't be a brat or mess with magic and don't get someone else to steal something for you.
- The Top Hat (21 May 2004) Benjamin (gets trapped in a magician's hat) never be greedy, spoiled or steal and respect presents you receive.
- The Decomposition of Delia Dethabridge (21 May 2004) Delia Dethabridge (turns white as a corpse and faints, also becomes dumb and is forced to smell cheese cakes) don't think you're a genius or make fun of someone else if they don't know the answer for a question.
- A Grizzly New Year's Tale: The Crystal Eye (31 December 2004) New Years special: Fick (gets dumped in a mirror and replaced by a nicer version of him for being rude to Finn on Christmas) don't ruin the Christmas spirit and share a present with your brother/sister.
Season 5 (2006)
- The Bugaboo Bear (27 March 2006) Emily Stiff (gets turned into a stuffed toy and mistreated) treat your toys well.
- The Butcher Boy (28 March 2006) Gilbert (gets chopped into sausages) money can't buy happiness.
- The Fruit Bat (29 March 2006) Cherie Stone (gets turned into a fruit bat) eat your fruit and don't eat too much junk food.
- Monty's Python (30 March 2006) Monty (becomes Sister Eater's pet) don't tease your siblings AND never throw get rid of your pet the hard way, even if you begin to despise them or fear snakes.
- The Grub A Blub Blub (31 March 2006) Savannah Slumberson (gets turned into a witchety grub) don't be lazy.
- Wolf Child (3 April 2006) Garth McQueen (gets kidnapped by wolves) don't act like a baby to get attention.
- The Weather Witch (4 April 2006) Jack Frost (turns into an ice sculpture and melts in the sun) don't play pranks on the elderly.
- Kiss and Make Up (5 April 2006) Holly Hotlips (gets an old witch's face) looks don't get your lover's attention or trust.
- William the Conkerer (6 April 2006) William (gets swallowed by a conker) don't destroy nature.
- Silence is Golden (7 April 2006) Dolores Bellicose (turns into a golden statue) don't be noisy, especially in libraries.
- Her Majesty's Moley (10 April 2006) Mattie (gets the skin of a mole and lives her life like a mole) don't kill moles for fun.
- Puppet on a String (11 April 2006) Callaway (becomes a puppet) never say you can't do something to avoid doing your chores.
- The Soul Stealer (12 April 2006) Poppy (gets locked into a picture) don't play tricks with a camera and when it comes to this, don't blackmail anyone, not even your own family, into getting whatever you want.
Season 6 (2007)
- Jamie's School Dinners (18 September 2007) Jamie (explodes and turns into a "chicken nugget") if you have school dinners, eat what is given to you.
- Recyclops (19 September 2007) Scabi (gets recycled into something useful) don't throw everything away.
- The Clothes Pigs (20 September 2007) Truffle (gets eaten by Incy, Wincy, Nibble and Titch, the piglets) don't treat your parents like slaves.
- Why Boys Make Better Burglars (21 September 2007) Billy Burglar (gets 'caught red handed' and arrested by the police) never be a burglar nor commit a crime, ever.
- The Watermelon Babies (22 September 2007) Kitty and Winnie Camel (turn into watermelons, and devoured) don't misuse water.
- eBoy (16 October 2007) Eric (gets stripped to his brain, eye and hands) don't constantly play on the computer and always do something for once in your life.
- Nobby's Nightmare (16 October 2007) Nobby (gets eaten by his 'alien girlfriend' Sophie) don't be rubbish parents or embarrass your child.
- The Dumb Klutzes (17 October 2007) The Klutz family and the rest of Dork Village (get eaten by a giant) don't believe everything people say.
- The Lobster's Scream (17 October 2007) Shannon Shellfish (gets boiled alive) never say 'I want' and always think first on what you wish to buy, otherwise it'll be a waste. So don't waste what you've bought.
- The Old Tailor Of Pelting Moor (18 October 2007) Jumbo Ferrari (gets his face replaced by the ugly old tailor's face) it's how you feel, not how you look.
- Big Head (18 October 2007) Sammy Slitherall (his head shrinks to the size of a pin) don't be a show-off.
- The Piranha Sisters (19 October 2007) Dorothy May (gets stripped bare by piranhas) never play pranks or be gullible.
- Tom Time (Last episode aired on ITV1 and CITV) (19 October 2007) Tom (explodes, while the world ceased to exist) always be on time.
Grizzly Tales - Cautionary Tales of Lovers of Squeam
This series (7 & 8) were the first to run on Nickelodeon.
Season 7 (2010)
These episodes premiered outside the UK, first UK transmission was in May 2011.
- Tinklebell (2 May 2011) Gilbert Sparrow (gets eaten by his parents, as they would not eat what was on their plate) eat what's on your plate.
- Sick To Death (2 May 2011) Victoria Spew (gets sucked into the vacuum cleaner literally) don't vomit to get what you want.
- The Ugly Prince (3 May 2011) Prince Spencer (is chopped in half by a lawnmower) don't get revenge. Princess Britney (given a frog face) don't be cruel to people because of their appearance.
- Hear No Weevil See No Weevil (3 May 2011) Broccoli Brassica (gets gobbled up by weevils) big is not beautiful.
- The Rise and Fall of The Evil Guff (4 May 2011) Bart Thumper (falls into a compost heap and composts to death) don't fart too much.
- Cat's Eyes (4 May 2011) Cat Clore (gets run over by a steamroller and reincarnated as a crow) don't bully others and mess around with traffic.
- Message in a Bottle (5 May 2011) Popering Partridge (gets squashed into a bottle) don't reprimand your parents.
- Little Angel (5 May 2011) Eliza Toadley (petrifies into a stone gargoyle) don't tell lies.
- The Dragon Moth (6 May 2011) Josiah Reeks (falls to his death and gets eaten by The Dragon Moth) always read signs.
- The Long Face (6 May 2011) Petty Ggambrel-Ffetlock (is given a horse face) don't sulk.
- Kingdom of Wax (9 May 2011) Nathaniel (burns to death in a fire) don't steal to try and attract girls.
- The Spelling Bee (9 May 2011) (Based On The Death Rattle) Purnellopy Underblanket (turns into a human beehive) don't be obstinate.
- The Flat Pack Kid (10 May 2011) Humpty Egg (is taken apart) don't take things apart.
Season 8 (2011)
- The Blood Doctor (5 Sept 2011) Georgina Sutcliffe (shrivels up from vinegar in her veins) Don't be a diva.
- The Hair Fairies (6 Sept 2011) Peacebiscuit (petrifies into wood) Be thankful for what God gives you.
- The Apostrophic Expositor (7 Sept 2011) B.S Brogan (turns into a full stop) don't be a chatterbox.
- Nerves of Steel (8 Sept 2011) (Based On Fatal Attraction) Charlie Chicken (sinks underwater) don't lie to get attention.
- The Worm (9 Sept 2011) Eustace Colon (turns into a tapeworm) don't eat worms.
- Lazy Bones (10 Sept 2011) Ida Lydon (gets relieved of her lazy bones) don't be lazy or refuse to get off the sofa.
- Frank Einstein's Monster (29 Oct 2012) Frank Einstein (gets scared out of playing with fireworks forever and is almost strapped onto the top of a rocket and exploded into 1,000 stars) don't play with fireworks.
- Nails In Her Coffin (29 Oct 2012) Griselda Grim (drowns accidentally in a neighbourhood's swimming pool) don't wish you were a cat.
- The Undertaker (30 Oct 2012) Gulab Gobby (gets relieved of his body) keep your opinions to yourself.
- Little Flower Girl (30 Oct 2012) Petal Stalewater (gets drilled into the ground and turned into a flower) don't pick flowers without permission.
- The Wrap Man (31 Oct 2012) Carlton (gets sent to his Great Aunt Wilma in Ireland and breaks every bone in his body) be thankful for what you receive.
- Old McDonald's Farm (1 Nov 2012) Angela Asbrew (turned into a chicken and dispatched) respect your elders.
- The Nuclear Wart (2 Nov 2012) Jim and Terry (get swallowed by a nuclear wart) don't fight with your siblings.
- Monty's Python & Other Tales and Nuclear Wart are 2 DVDs that made in the UK.
- A Tangled Web & Other Tales and Doctor Moribundus & Other Tales, are the only DVD's made in the USA.
- Apart from them, all the others were made in Australia.
- 'Little Fingers', 'The Gas Man Cometh', 'Jamie's School Dinners' and the scene where Truffle got eaten in 'The Clothes Pigs' did not air on Nickelodeon. This was because 'Little Fingers' was rather inappropriate (the boy was named after a homosexual Little Britain character), and because it was really dark and morbid.