List of Houston Texans head coaches
There have been four head coaches of the Houston Texans, a professional American football team based in Houston, Texas, United States. The Texans play in the South Division of the American Football Conference (AFC) in the National Football League (NFL).
In 2002, the Texans entered the NFL as an expansion team, with Dom Capers (2002–05) as the team's first head coach. Capers was selected, in part, due to his success in having led the expansion Carolina Panthers to the playoffs in just their second season in the league.
After three straight seasons of consistent improvement, the Texans took a major step backward in 2005 with a 2–14 finish. At the end of the season, Capers was fired and replaced with Gary Kubiak (2006–2013), then the offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos. Kubiak, a Houston native and alumnus of nearby Texas A&M, would eventually become the longest-tenured head coach in franchise history, coaching 125 games and posting a 61–64 record.
Kubiak earned several distinctions as head coach, having led the Texans to their first non-losing season (2007), their first winning season (2009), and their first division title, playoff appearance, and playoff win (2011). In both 2011 and 2012, the Texans won the AFC South and the first game of the playoffs but lost the divisional game the following week.
In 2013, the Texans started the season 2–0, but then lost their next 11 games. Kubiak was fired mid-season, on December 6, 2013 and was replaced on an interim basis by defensive coordinator Wade Phillips (2013, 3 games).
During the 2013 off-season, Bill O'Brien (2014–present) was hired to be the Texans' next head coach. O'Brien had previously served as head coach at Penn State and as offensive coordinator under Bill Belichick with the New England Patriots.
|#||Number of coaches[N 1]|
|*||Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame for coaching|
|**||Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame for playing|
|†||Entire professional head coaching career with Texans|
Note: Statistics are correct through the 2016 NFL season.
|#||Name||Term[N 2]||Regular Season||Playoffs||Achievements||Ref.|
|2||Gary Kubiak||2006–2013[N 3]||125||61||64||0||.488||4||2||2|||
|3||Wade Phillips||2013[N 3]||3||0||3||0||.000|||
- A running total of the number of coaches of the Texans. Thus, any coach who has two or more separate terms as head coach is only counted once.
- Each year is linked to an article about that particular NFL season.
- After 13 games of the 2013 season, with the Texans at 2–11, Kubiak was fired as head coach and replaced by defensive coordinator Wade Phillips on an interim basis. Phillips had earlier served as interim coach against the Arizona Cardinals, after Kubiak took a medical leave of absence after collapsing during a game against the Indianapolis Colts.
- "Houston Texans fire coach Gary Kubiak". Fox Sports. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "Dom Capers". Pro Football Reference. Sports Reference. Retrieved 2008-12-07.
- "Gary Kubiak". Pro Football Reference. Sports Reference. Retrieved 2008-12-07.
- "Wade Phillips's Coaching Record". Pro Football Reference. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved December 30, 2013.
- "Bill O'Brien Record, Statistics, and Category Ranks". Pro Football Reference. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved January 10, 2016.