List of Dreamcast homebrew games
Many games have been independently developed for the Dreamcast by homebrew developers. Most of these games were commercially released long after the end of the console's official life span (2001), and especially after the last official release (2007). Consequently, these homebrew games are unlicensed by Sega.
The Dreamcast's homebrew games are written on regular compact discs (CD) using the Mil-CD loop hole rather than GD-ROMs. This is partly because the GD-ROM format is no longer marketed by Sega, nor did it ever have a commercially available blank counterpart. Games are released on standard CD or DVD covers, or more recently, styled as a retail Dreamcast title. All are region-free. Some of the earlier homebrew games have been developed using the BSD-based KallistiOS development library.
The games are various - some have Genesis-style 16-bit graphics, whereas others look more like Dreamcast-era games. The 16-bit games usually have also been released as homebrew for the Neo Geo AES console, and others may also have had releases for PC, mobile, or as downloadable indie titles for newer consoles. The first homebrew games in 2001 were three emulated and enhanced PlayStation games developed by Bleemcast!.
There has recently been an increasing number of games being developed. Just over half of the list of 40+ homebrew titles are games released since 2015 or still under development. 2015 had the highest number of new Dreamcast releases since 2004 in Japan.
|Alice Dreams Tournament ||Alice Team||Alice Team||Action||2016|
|Alice's Mom's Rescue ||Hucast Games||Orion Games||Platformer||2015|
|Redux 2 ||Hucast Games||Hucast Games||Shoot 'em up||TBA|
|Bleemcast! for Gran Turismo 2||Bleem!||Bleem!||Racing||2001|
|Bleemcast! for Metal Gear Solid||Bleem!||Bleem!||Action/Adventure||2001|
|Bleemcast! for Tekken 3||Bleem!||Bleem!||Fighting||2001|
|Cool Herders||GOAT Store||Harmless Lion LLC.||Party||2006|
|Donk! Samurai Duck!||GOAT Store||Cryptic Allusion||Platformer||TBA|
|DUX / DUX 1.5||Hucast Games||KTX Software Dev.||Shoot 'em up||2009|
|Elansar & Philia||Hucast Games||Orion Games||Point-and-click adventure||2015|
|Elysian Shadows ||Watermelon Co.||Elysian Shadows Team||Role-playing||2016|
|Fast Striker||NG.DEV.TEAM||NG.DEV.TEAM||Shoot 'em up||2010|
|Feet of Fury||GOAT Store||GOAT Store||Rhythm||2003|
|Flashback: The Quest for Identity||JoshProd||Delphine Software International||Action||TBA|
|Fruit'Y ||Dragon Box||Retroguru||Puzzle||2015|
|Ghost Blade ||Hucast Games||Hucast Games||Shoot 'em up||2015|
|Giana's Return ||Giana's Return Team||Giana's Return Team||Platformer||2011|
|Gunlord||NG.DEV.TEAM||NG.DEV.TEAM||Run 'n Gun||2012|
|Hermes ||Dragon Box||Retroguru||Platformer||2017|
|Hypertension: Harmony of Darkness ||GOAT Store||TDGMods/Istope Softworks||Horror/Shooter||TBA|
|Inhabitants||GOAT Store||S&F Software||Puzzle||2005|
|IRiDES: Master of Blocks||GOAT Store||Madpeet||Puzzle||2009|
|Jump'n Blob ||2D-RP||2D-RP||Platformer||2011|
|Last Hope||RedSpotGames(First Run) /
NG.DEV.TEAM (Second Run)
|NG.DEV.TEAM||Shoot 'em up||2007|
|Last Hope: Pink Bullets||NG.DEV.TEAM||NG.DEV.TEAM||Shoot 'em up||2009|
|Leona's Tricky Adventures ||KTX Software Development||KTX Software Development||Puzzle/Adventure||2016|
|NEO XYX||NG.DEV.TEAM||NG.DEV.TEAM||Shoot 'em up||2014|
|Pier Solar and the Great Architects||WaterMelon Co.||Watermelon Co.||Role-playing||2015|
|Redux: Dark Matters||Hucast Games||KTX Software Development||Shoot 'em up||2014|
|Reblobed ||TBA||2D Retroperspectives||Platformer||TBA|
|Rush Rush Rally Racing||RedSpotGames||Senile Team||Racing||2009|
|Rush Rush Rally Reloaded||Senile Team||Senile Team||Racing||2017|
|Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - The Game ||Watermelon Co.||Team Saber Rider||Run 'n Gun/Shoot 'em up||TBA|
|Sations ||MintCookie Games||MintCookie Games||Third-person shooter||2017|
|Saviour ||TBA||2D Retroperspectives||Role-playing||TBA|
|Scourge||GOAT Store||TGDMods/Istope Softworks||Action||TBA|
|SQRXZ 2 ||Retroguru||Retroguru||Platformer||2010|
|SQRXZ 3 ||Retroguru||Retroguru||Platformer||2011|
|SQRXZ 4 ||Retroguru||Retroguru||Platformer||2014|
|Sydney Hunter & The Caverns of Death||CollectorVision||CollectorVision||Puzzle platformer||TBA|
|Sturmwind||RedSpotGames||Duranik||Shoot 'em up||2013|
|SLaVE ||GOAT Store||Jay Townsend/Istope Softworks||First-person shooter||TBA|
|Volgarr the Viking||Crazy Viking Studios||Crazy Viking Studios||Platformer||2015|
|Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles||RedSpotGames||Yuan Works||Puzzle||2008|
|Xenocider ||TBA||Retro Sumus||Third-person shooter||TBA|
|Zia and the Goddesses of Power ||TBA||Orion Games||Role-playing||2016|
|Henshin Engine||TBA||Henshin Engine Team||Platformer||2017|
- Barnholt, Ray (May 12, 2011). "Keeping the Dream Alive: The Men Behind Dreamcast Homebrew". Gamasutra. p. 1. Archived from the original on March 21, 2016. Retrieved March 20, 2016.
- Matthews, David. "Fifteen years after its death, the SEGA Dreamcast is still going strong". Fusion.net. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Alice Dreams - Jeu indépendant sur Dreamcast". alicedreams.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Hucast Games announces 2D platformer Alice's Mom's Rescue for Dreamcast". Seganerds.com. 6 January 2015. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "New Game: Ameba is a New Visual Novel for Sega Dreamcast - Retro Gaming Magazine". retrogamingmagazine.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Hucast Announces Shmup Sequel Redux 2 For Dreamcast, Shares First Screens - Siliconera". Siliconera.com. 20 May 2015. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Elysian Shadows Team comments on Watermelon publishing deal". Seganerds.com. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Sega Dreamcast Receives New Puzzle Game- Fruit'Y, not a Bejeweled Clone - Retro Gaming Magazine". retrogamingmagazine.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- [dead link]
- "Third new Jump'n'Run in a row – Giana's Return v1.0 available! - Dreamcast-Scene". Dreamcast-scene.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Hermes - Retroguru - Retro Game Development". Retroguru.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Hypertension: Harmony of Darkness Windows, Mac, Linux game". Indie DB. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Jump'n Blob – fullversion has been released (incl. Dreamcast version) - Dreamcast-Scene". Dreamcast-scene.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "LEONA's Tricky Adventures". Trickyleona.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Reblobed, Yet Another Dreamcast Title Coming - Retro Gaming Magazine". retrogamingmagazine.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Dreamcast Version Of Saber Rider And The Star Sheriffs Added To Kickstarter Rewards - Siliconera". Siliconera.com. 7 September 2015. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Log into Facebook - Facebook". Facebook. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- [dead link]
- "Sqrxz (Remake) – Sqrxz by Retroguru – Mindblasting frustration deluxe!". Sqrxz.de. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "SQRXZ 2 released – New Freeware Jump'n'Run for Dreamcast! - Dreamcast-Scene". Dreamcast-scene.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Sqrxz 3 Released - Dreamcast-Scene". Dreamcast-scene.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Sqrxz 4 - Retroguru - Retro Game Development". Retroguru.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Celebrate Dreamcast's 15th Anniversary with SLaVE - Dreamcast-Scene". Dreamcast-scene.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "New Xenocider Footage Released". Thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "The Dreamcast Junkyard: New Dreamcast Game Zia and the Goddesses of Magic Announced". Thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-05-07.
- "Henshin Engine The GAME. - PC Engine/TG-16, PC/Steam!". Kickstarter.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Interview: Senile Team - Rush Rush Rally Racing". Nintendolife.com. 18 April 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Interview with Jeroen van Mastbergen from Senile Team about Rush Rush Rally Racing - Diehard GameFAN". Diehardgamefan.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Un nuovo gioco per Dreamcast in uscita nel 2015: SLaVE". Eurogamer.it. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- Anderson, Lark (22 August 2008). "GC 2008: They Are Still Making Dreamcast Games". Gamespot.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "10 new Dreamcast games on the way". Engadget.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "New Dreamcast Games Coming This Spring". Wired.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Inside the Retro Game Development Community". Zam.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- Plunkett, Luke. "Happy Birthday Dreamcast! Here's A New Game". Kotaku.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Dreamcast Not Dead – New Release Set For 2010". Gameinformer.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "German TV show reveals a new Dreamcast game". Gamesradar.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Redspotgames looking to continue publishing for Dreamcast". Engadget.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "List of 2006 - 2015 Games on SEGA Dreamcast and Genesis / Megadrive". Segabits.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.