List of India cricketers who have taken five wickets on Test debut
In cricket, a five-wicket haul (also known as a "five–for" or "fifer") refers to a bowler taking five or more wickets in a single innings. This is regarded as a notable achievement. As of December 2014, 144 cricketers have taken a five-wicket haul on a Test match debut, with eight of them being India cricketers. The fifers were taken against four different opponents – three each against Australia and West Indies, and one each against England and Pakistan. The eight such occasions have resulted in four wins, two losses and two draws. The fifers were taken in seven different venues with five of them being inside India; two were taken at the Feroz Shah Kotla Ground, Delhi.
The first Indian to achieve this feat was Mohammad Nissar, who took 5 wickets for 93 runs against England in June 1932. It was India's first ever Test match, and Nissar became the first Indian to take a fifer. Syed Abid Ali's 6 wickets for 55 runs against Australia in 1967 are the best by an Indian fast bowler on debut. Of the eight fifers, three have been taken by fast bowlers—Nissar, Ali and Mohammed Shami. Narendra Hirwani's 8 wickets for 61 runs against the West Indies in January 1988 are the best bowling figures by an Indian in Test debut and third overall. As of December 2014, he is the only Indian cricketer to take ten or more wickets in Test debut. Hirwani's figures of 16 wickets for 136 runs in the match are a record for any bowler on debut. The most recent Indian cricketer to achieve this feat was Shami, who took five wickets for 47 runs against West Indies in November 2013. India won the match by an innings and 52 runs.
|1||Mohammad Nissar||25 June 1932||Lord's, London||England||1||26.0||93||5||3.57||Lost|
|2||Vaman Kumar||8 February 1961||Feroz Shah Kotla Ground, Delhi||Pakistan||2||37.5||64||5||1.69||Drawn|
|3||Syed Abid Ali||23 December 1967||Adelaide Oval, Adelaide||Australia||1||17.0||55||6||2.42||Lost|
|4||Dilip Doshi||11 September 1979||Madras Cricket Club Ground, Madras||Australia||1||43.0||103||6||2.39||Drawn|
|5||Narendra Hirwani*||11 January 1988||MA Chidambaram Stadium, Madras||West Indies||2||18.3||61||8||3.29||Won|
|6||Amit Mishra||17 October 2008||Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali||Australia||2||26.4||71||5||2.66||Won|
|7||Ravichandran Ashwin ♠||6 November 2011||Feroz Shah Kotla Ground, Delhi||West Indies||3||21.3||47||15||2.18||Won|
|8||Mohammed Shami||8 November 2013||Eden Gardens, Kolkata||West Indies||3||13.1||47||5||3.56||Won|
- Buckle, Greg (30 April 2007). "Pigeon's almost perfect sendoff". Canberra Times. Retrieved 30 October 2009.
McGrath didn't get the five-for that he had hoped for...
- "Swinging it for the Auld Enemy – An interview with Ryan Sidebottom". The Scotsman. 17 August 2008. Retrieved 30 October 2009.
... I'd rather take fifers (five wickets) for England ...
- Pervez, M. A. (2001). A Dictionary of Cricket. Orient Blackswan. p. 31. ISBN 978-81-7370-184-9.
- "Bowling records: Test matches". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- "Bowling records: Test matches (India)". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- "First Test match, Lord's - England v India 1932". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "Bhuvneshwar has Gayle's number". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Statistics / Statsguru / Test matches / Bowling records". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Records / Test matches / Bowling records / Best figures in a innings on debut". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Records / Test matches / Bowling records / Best figures in a match on debut". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "1st Test, Kolkata - India v West Indies, 2013-14". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Only Test: England v India at Lord's, Jun 25–28, 1932". Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "5th Test: India v Pakistan at Delhi, Feb 8–13, 1961". Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "1st Test: Australia v India at Adelaide, Dec 23–28, 1967". Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "1st Test: India v Australia at Chennai, Sep 11–16, 1979". Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "4th Test: India v West Indies at Chennai, Jan 11–15, 1988". Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "2nd Test: India v Australia at Mohali, Oct 17–21, 2008". Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "1st Test: India v West Indies at Delhi, Nov 6–9, 2011". Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "1st Test: India v West Indies at Kolkata, Nov 6–10, 2013". Cricinfo. Retrieved 8 November 2013.