List of Indian Premier League captains
In cricket, a captain is a player who leads the team and has additional roles and responsibilities. The Indian Premier League (IPL) is a professional league for Twenty20 cricket in India, which has been held annually since its first edition in 2008. In the nine seasons played, 34 players have captained their team in at least one match.
The Chennai Super Kings's Mahendra Singh Dhoni has played the most number of matches as a captain and he is unanimously regarded as the best captain in the entire tournament.  The win–loss percentage among successful captains who have captained over 10 matches, CSK's Mahendra Singh Dhoni is most successful with a win–loss percentage: 50.00 and is the most successful captain in the history of IPL winning 1 titles as a captain along with Rohit Sharma with 6 titles and a win-loss percentage of 99.99 and Gautham Gambhir's win-loss percentage: 55.46 with 2 titles.Dhoni has played 162 matches, and won the most number of matches playing as a captain, with 100 and has lost the most number of matches playing as a captain with 64. Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara are the only players to captain three teams: the former has captained the Delhi Daredevils, the Kings XI Punjab and the Kochi Tuskers Kerala, whereas the latter has captained the Deccan Chargers, Kings XI Punjab, and the Sunrisers Hyderabad.
James Hopes of the Daredevils has captained the most number of matches without registering a win; he led his team in three matches, two of which were lost and one ended with no result. Six players have captained the Daredevils, the Indians and the Warriors each; five players have captained the Kings XI and the Royal Challengers each; four players have captained the Deccan Chargers; three players have captained the Kolkata Knight Riders and the Rajasthan Royals each; whereas two players have captained the Super Kings and the Tuskers each.
The list includes those players who have captained their team in at least one IPL match. The list is initially organised by the number of matches as a captain and if the numbers are tied, the list is sorted by last name.[α][β][γ]
|First||Year of the first IPL match as a captain|
|Last||Year of latest IPL match as a captain|
|Mat||Number of matches as a captain|
|Team(s)||Team(s) for which the player has played as captain in at least one match|
|Won||Number of games won|
|Lost||Number of games lost|
|Tied||Number of games tied|
|NR||Number of games with no result|
|Win%||Percentage of games won to those captained[δ]|
List of IPL captains
- To sort these tables by any statistic, click on the icon in the column title.
- These statistics do not cover the games played in other tournaments such as the Champions League Twenty20, the British Asian Cup or the 2008 Kolkata Knight Riders tour of Australia.
- These statistics are correct as of the 2013 season.
- Games that did not have a result are not taken into consideration while calculating the result percentage. Ties are counted as half a win.
- The information in the nationality column is according to ESPNcricinfo. This information may not necessarily reflect the player's birthplace or citizenship.
- Cricket Australia; Frank Pyke; Ken Davis (8 March 2010). Cutting Edge Cricket. Human Kinetics. p. 132. ISBN 978-0-7360-7902-0. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Ken Davis; Neil Buszard (5 April 2011). Cricket: 99.94 Tips to Improve Your Game. Human Kinetics. p. 69. ISBN 978-0-7360-9078-0. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "ICC Members- India". International Cricket Council. Archived from the original on 25 August 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "IPL auction 2011: Teams to spend big for top cricketers". The Economic Times. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Indian Premier League / Records / Most matches as captain". ESPNcricinfo. Archived from the original on 8 October 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Indian Premier League Cricket Team Records & Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com". Cricinfo. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- http://stats.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2013/engine/records/individual/most_matches_as_captain.html?id=117;type=trophy Archived 22 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine