List of Indian pickles
This is a list of common Indian pickles, which have a wide range of flavours and textures. Indian pickles are generally pickled with oil, vinegar, lemon juice or water. Indian pickles are often made into fresh relish and chutney, which provides additional flavours to food. Many types of foods in Indian cuisine are pickled. Mangoes, gooseberries and lemons are examples of foods that are commonly pickled in Indian cuisine. Sometimes Indian families have their own unique pickle and chutney recipes that are handed-down through the generations. There are many centuries-old companies located in India, which are well known for their original Indie recipes. One such brand is Harnarains, which had originally started off in the 1860s in Old Delhi.
- 1 Amla pickle
- 2 Assorted pickle
- 3 Carrot pickle
- 4 Garlic pickle
- 5 Green chili pickle
- 6 Hibiscus leaves pickle
- 7 Indian pickle
- 8 Meats
- 9 Onion pickle
- 10 Raw mango and chickpea pickle
- 11 Red chili pickle
- 12 Sweet mango pickle
- 13 Sweet sour lemon pickle
- 14 Tomato pickle
- 15 Coconut pickle
- 16 See also
- 17 References
Amla pickle or Indian gooseberry pickle is a popular pickle in South Asia and India. This spicy pickle is also available commercially. Gooseberries are a source of vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium and phosphorus. It is prepared by pressure cooking gooseberries. Then, mustard seeds are tempered in oil and the gooseberries and other ingredients are added. The pickle can be stored in a refrigerator and used for about 15 days.
Assorted pickle also referred to as Mixed pickles is also a popular mixed pickle in Indian cuisine. This pickle is also available commercially. It is prepared by boiling a marinade and then cooking vegetables in the marinade. 'Pachranga Achar', also a generic name for the category, is popular brand of assorted or mixed pickles in North India, based in Panipat and has a turnover of over Rs 25-30 crore.
Garlic pickle is a popular pickle in Andhra Pradesh. This spicy pickle is also available commercially. Garlic is an excellent source of dietary manganese. The sweetness is provided by jaggery. It is prepared by mixing peeled garlic cloves with mustard seeds and jaggery along with a pinch of salt.
Green chili pickle
Green chili pickle is manufactured in Rajasthan, Karnataka, Maharashtra and other places, and is commonly used as a condiment with main dishes. In Rajasthan, it is prepared by slitting chillies length-wise and frying them with ginger, garlic and green chili pickles. Other flavouring agents include mango powder, nimbu ras, and fenugreek. It is considered a Rajasthani specialty and is sometimes used as a flavour for Indian snack foods.
Hibiscus leaves pickle
Hibiscus leaves pickle is a popular pickle in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, where it is known as Gongura pacchadi. It is also consumed in Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, and Karnataka. The pickle is also available commercially. In some of India's North-Eastern states where the plant is known as aamelli or mwitha.
Spicy onion pickle is prepared by cutting onions into pieces and rubbing salt over them. After one day, the excess water is drained and the onions are marinated with other spices for four or five days.
Raw mango and chickpea pickle
Raw mango and chickpea pickle is a very popular pickle in India. This pickle is also available commercially. It is prepared by marinating grated raw mango with salt and turmeric powder for one day and mixing it with soaked chickpea and other ingredients, then letting it sit for four days.
Red chili pickle
Red chili pickle is a very popular pickle in India, available commercially as well as being made in many Indian households. It is prepared by slitting red chillies length-wise, stuffing them with fenugreek powder, and placing them in a closed porcelain jar for one month.
Sweet mango pickle
Sweet mango pickle is a very popular pickle in India. This pickle is also available commercially. It is prepared by cutting mangoes into pieces and adding sugar syrup over them, along with other ingredients and keeping them sealed in a jar under the sun until the mangoes become soft.
Sweet sour lemon pickle
Sweet sour lemon pickle is a very popular pickle in India. This sweet and sour pickle is also available commercially. It is prepared by cutting lemons into halves and sprinkling salt and pouring sugar syrup over them and marinating for one week.
Coconut pickle is commonly served along with south Indian breakfasts. Unlike other pickles, it is perishable. It is made of grated raw coconut, and has a much shorter preparation time than most Indian pickles.
|Wikibooks Cookbook has a recipe/module on|
- Jaffrey, Madhur (1973). An Invitation to Indian Cooking. Knopf; distributed by Random House. pp. 225–228. Retrieved April 20, 2012. ISBN 0394481720
- Skrabec, Quentin R. (2009). H.J. Heinz: A Biography. McFarland & Co. p. 120. Retrieved April 19, 2012. ISBN 9780786441785
- Sahni, Julie (1980). Classic Indian Cooking. Morrow. pp. 445–450. Retrieved April 19, 2012. ISBN 0688037216
- Amla (Gooseberry) Fruit, Triphala Powder, Indian Gooseberry
- Gooseberry Pickle / Nellikai Oorukai | 4th Sense Cooking
- Assorted Pickles recipe | Soup Recipes | Salad Recipes | by Tarla Dalal | Tarladalal.com | #394
- "Fakes put Pachranga Achar in a pickle". Business Standard. May 25, 2007.
- Carrot Pickle Recipe Archived 2012-02-09 at the Wayback Machine
- Gourmet Garlic Gardens Preserving Garlic
- Wright, Helen S. (1912). The New England Cook Book. Duffield & company. pp. 232–234. Retrieved April 19, 2012. OCLC number: 3889790
- Cassell's Dictionary of Cookery. Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co. p. 327. Retrieved April 19, 2012.
- Spicy Onion Pickle Recipe - How To Make Spicy Onion Pickle - Spicy Onion Pickle Receipe
- Pickled Baby Onions and Garlic recipe | Achaar Recipes | Paratha Recipes | by Tarla Dalal | Tarladalal.com | #3412
- Recipes India - Onion Pickle Recipe - NewKerala Recipes, Cooking Tips
- Onion Pickle/ Chutney Recipe by Recipewala.com
- Stuffed Red Chilli Pickle Recipe - How To Make Stuffed Red Chilli Pickle - Stuffed Red Chilli Pickle Receipe
- Sweet Mango Pickle Recipe - How To Make Sweet Mango Pickle - Sweet Mango Pickle Receipe
- Sweet And Sour Lemon Pickle Recipe - How To Make Sweet And Sour Lemon Pickle - Sweet And Sour Lemon Pickle Receipe
- Tomato Pickle Recipe Archived 2012-02-09 at the Wayback Machine
- Tomato Pickle/chutney Recipe by RecipeWala.com
- Coconut Pickle/chutney Recipe by RecipeWala.com