List of Indian rail incidents
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following is list of accidents on the Indian Railways.
- 1 1890s
- 2 1900s
- 3 1920s
- 4 1930s
- 5 1940s
- 6 1950s
- 7 1960s
- 8 1970s
- 9 1980s
- 10 1990s
- 11 2000s
- 12 2010s
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
- 5 November 1891 - A mail train derailed near Nagpar, killing 10 people and injuring another 35.
- 24 October 1907 - A passenger train collided with a freight train at Kot Lakhanat station, killing 11 people, and injuring 27 others.
- 2 December 1908 - 18 people were killed and 20 others injured when two mail trains collided at Barana station.
- April 1920 - 50 people killed, 50 others injured in a rail collision.
- 17 July 1937 - An express train from Calcutta plunged down an embankment near Bihta station, about 15 miles from Patna. At least 119 people were killed, and 180 others injured.
- 28 June 1939 - 10 people were killed and 21 injured in a train accident.
- 4 October 1942 - 12 people were killed and 40 others injured in a railway accident 40 miles northeast of Bombay.
- 22 September 1947 - A train carrying more than 4500 Muslim refugees was attacked by armed Hindus and Sikhs at the Amritsar station in response to the earlier massacre of Hindu and Sikh refuges at the Lahore station and fired upon for three hours. 3418 people were either killed or missing, and 1328 others were wounded.
- April 1950 - 32 people were killed when a train derailed and crashed into a river.
- 7 May 1950 - At least 81 people were killed and 100 others injured when a train plunged off a bridge in Bihar state.
- 3 September 1951 - Ten persons were killed and thirty others injured when the Sharanpur Express derailed about 11 miles from Delhi.
- June 1953 - Five people were killed and fifty others injured in the collision of a passenger train with a freight train between Semapore and Kalihar.
- 4 January 1954 - A passenger train derailed while crossing a bridge near Bhatinda, killing at least 15 people and injuring another 40.
- 31 March 1954 - 31 people were killed, and 32 others injured near Gorakhpur when explosives transported on a passenger train detonated.
- 15 September 1954 - A train crashed into a truck carrying students at a crossing 80 miles north of New Delhi, killing 10 and injuring 18 others.
- 28 September 1954 - A train crashed into the Yasanti river, about 75 km south of Hyderabad, when the bridge collapsed. 139 people were killed and more than 100 injured.
- 2 September 1956 - A bridge collapsed under a train between Jadcherla and Mahbubnager, about 100 km from Hyderabad. At least 125 dead, 22 injured.
- 23 November 1956 - 104 people were killed and 100 others injured 175 miles south of Madras when a train plunged into a river from an embankment weakened by flood.
- 2 June 1957 - 18 people died and 53 others were injured when a passenger train crashed into a stationary train in Bombay.
- November 1957 - At least 50 people were killed and more than 50 others injured in a rail accident.
- 21 May 1958 - An express train derailed near Chamaraj, killing 31 people and injuring 41 others.
- 4 January 1961 - Head-on collision of two passenger trains near Umeshnagar. 35 dead, 61 injured.
- 8 March 1961 - 11 people were killed and 37 others injured in the collision of a passenger train with a freight train between Kalihar and Bihar.
- October 1961 - 40 people were killed and many others injured when a train derailed 200 km from Kolkata.
- 22 July 1962 - 48 people were killed in a train crash in northwest India.
- 12 November 1962 - 25 passengers riding on the roof of a train were killed when they were hit by a bridge girder.
- 23 December 1964 -In Rameswaram cyclone (also known as the Dhanushkodi cyclone) the Pamban-Dhanuskodi passenger train washed away by killing all 150 passengers on board.
- 19 June 1965 - 15 people were killed when a freight train collided with a train carrying railway workers. The accident occurred about 500 miles from Bombay.
- 16 February 1966 - The bombing of a mail express in Assam by Naga separatists killed 38.
- 20 April 1966 - The bombing of a train at the Lumding railway station by Naga separatists killed 55 and wounded 127.
- 23 April 1966 - The bombing of a train at the Diphu railway station by Naga separatists killed 40 and wounded 60.
- 13 June 1966 - At least 57 people were killed and 100 others injured when two passenger trains collided near the Matunga railway station.
- March 19, 1968 - The Bangalore bound Deccan Express from Poona and the Birur-Hubli Passenger collided on March 19, 1968 around 10.35 p.m. at Yalvigi station on the Harihar-Hubli Section of the Mysore division of the Southern Railway. Fifty-three people were killed and 42 injured as per official estimates, The Hindu (March 20 and 21, 1968.)
- May 1968 - 25 people were killed, and 38 others injured when a train crashed into a bus.
- 4 February 1969 - Passengers riding on top of a train were swept off by the girders of a bridge, near Madras. 32 dead, 50 injured.
- June 1969 - An express train derailed. 75 dead, 38 injured.
- 14 July 1969 - 85 people were killed and 130 others injured when a freight train crashed into a standing passenger train at Jaipur.
- 26 April 1972 - 21 people were killed and 37 injured when a train derailed in Mysore state.
- 21 February 1974 - A passenger train crashed into a freight train at Morabad, killing 41 and injuring 63 others.
- 30 May 1977 - A bridge across the Beki river near Gauhati collapsed under a train, killing at least 45 people and injuring 100 others.
- 23 November 1977 - A passenger train derailed near Rewari, probably due to sabotage of the rail tracks. 20 people were killed and 21 others seriously injured.
- 18 April 1978 - 30 people were killed and 60 others injured when an express train crashed into the rear of a passenger train at Bassain Road station in Bombay.
- 14 November 1979 - Five people were killed and fifty others injured when two trains collided near Matunga.
- 23 December 1979 - An express train crashed into the rear of a standing passenger train near Sarupeta, killing 18, and injuring 25.
- 11 February 1981 – Three trains on same track collide with each other in Vaniyambadi, 199 km from Chennai.
- 6 June 1981 – Bihar train disaster, India: Hundreds are killed (300–800) when a train falls into a river.
- 16 July 1981 – A freight train slams into the back of a passenger train in Madhya Pradesh, India, between Khodri and Bhanwar Tonk station, killing 50 people and injuring 49.
- 19 July 1981 – In an incident blamed on sabotage, a train traveling to Ahmedabad from New Delhi, India, derailed in Gujarat, killing 30 people and injuring 70.
- 27 January 1982 – A freight train and an express passenger train collided head-on in heavy fog near Agra, India, killing 50 and injuring 50.
- 20 March 1982 – A Mangalore-to-New Delhi train slammed into a tourist bus at a level crossing in Andhra Pradesh, snapping the bus in two, killing at least 59 people on the bus and injuring 25 others.
- 23 February 1985 – Rajnandgaon train fire, Madhya Pradesh, India: Over 50 people were killed when an express train caught fire.
- 8 July 1987 – Machieral rail disaster, 53 people killed in the derailment of a train in Andhra Pradesh.
- 8 July 1988 – Ashtamudi Lake rail disaster, passenger train falls in the lake after derailing near Kollam, 107 people drowned. The train was Island Express.
- 18 April 1989 – Lalitpur rail disaster, near Lalitpur, Uttar Pradesh, India: 75 killed when train derails.
- 16 April 1990– Patna rail disaster, near Patna, India: 70 killed as shuttle train is gutted by fire.
- 6 June 1990: Thirty-five killed in a fire accident in train at Gollaguda in Andhra Pradesh.
- 25 June 1990: Sixty killed as a goods train rams into a passenger train at Mangra in Daltongunj in Bihar.
- 10 October 1990: Forty killed in a fire in a train near Cherlapalli in Andhra Pradesh.
- 6 March 1991: Thirty killed as Karnataka Express derails near Makalidurga ghats in Karnataka,about 60 km from Bangalore on a rainy evening.
- 5 September 1992: Forty-one killed in a train accident near Raigarh in Madhya Pradesh.
- 16 January 1993: New Delhi-Howrah Rajdhani Express accident between Roorah and Ambiyapur flag stations.
- 16 July 1993: Sixty killed in an accident in Darbhanga district of Bihar.
- 21 September 1993: Seventy-one killed as Kota–Bina passenger train collides with a goods train near Chhabra in Rajasthan.
- 3 May 1994: Thirty-five people killed as Narayanadri Express rams into a tractor in Nalgonda district of Andhra Pradesh.
- 26 October 1994: Twenty-seven killed as 8001 DN Mumbai–Howrah Mail caught fire on its S5 Sleeper class coach between Lotapahar and CKP stations (SE Railway) at 02.51 AM.
- 14 May 1995: Fifty-two people killed as Madras–Kanyakumari Express met with fire accident near Salem.
- 1 June 1995: Seventy-three killed in two accidents in West Bengal and Orissa.
- 20 August 1995: Firozabad rail disaster, 358 killed as Delhi-bound Purushottam Express rams into the stationary Kalindi Express near Firozabad in Uttar Pradesh.
- 18 April 1996: Sixty killed as Gorakhpur–Gonda passenger train rams into a stationary goods train at Domingarh near Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.
- 14 May 1996: Thirty-five of a marriage party killed as bus carrying them collides with the Ernakulam–Kayamkulam train at an unmanned level-crossing near Alappuzha in Kerala.
- 25 May 1996: Twenty-five killed as an Allahabad-bound passenger train rams into a tractor-trolley at an unmanned level crossing near Varanasi.
- 30 December 1996: Thirty-three people killed in a bomb blast on the Brahmaputra mail between Kokrajhar and Fakiragram stations in lower Assam.
- 8 July 1997: Thirty-three people killed in bomb blast on a passenger train at Lehra Khanna railway station in Bhatinda district in Punjab.
- 28 July 1997: Twelve people killed in a collision involving Karnataka Express and Himsagar Express near Faridabad on the outskirts of Delhi.
- 14 September 1997: Eight-one killed as five bogies of the Ahmedabad–Howrah Express plunge into a river in Bilaspur district of Madhya Pradesh.
- 6 Jan 1998: At least 51 persons were feared killed and over 100 injured when the Bareilly-Varanasi passenger train rammed into the stationary Kashi Vishwanath (KV) Express Train about 12 km from Hardoi around 10 pm. However, the unofficial death toll was put at 70.
- 4 April 1998: Fatuha Train Crash Eleven killed near Fatuha Station on Howrah-Delhi main line as Howrah–Danapur Express derails between Fatuha and Bankaghat stations.
- 24 April 1998: Twenty-four killed and 32 injured at Parli Vaijanath railway station in Maharashtra as 15 wagons of a goods train ram into the Manmad–Kachiguda Express.
- 13 August 1998: Nineteen killed and 27 injured as a bus rams into the Chennai–Madurai Express train at an unmanned level-crossing on the new Karur-Salem bypass road on the outskirts of Karur town.
- 24 September 1998: Twenty people, including 14 school children, killed and 33 injured when a train engine rams into a bus at an unmanned level-crossing near Bottalaapalem village in Andhra Pradesh.
- 26 November 1998: Khanna rail disaster, over 212 people die as Jammu Tawi–Sealdah Express rams into three derailed bogies of Amritsar-bound Frontier Golden Temple Mail at Khanna.
- 16 July 1999: Seventeen killed and over 2000 injured as the 2616 UP Chennai - New Delhi Grand Trunk Express collides with derailed wagons of a DN Goods train in Agra-Mathura section ( near Mathura ) of Central Railway.
- 2 August 1999: 268 killed and 359 injured in a collision involving Awadh–Assam Express and Brahmaputra Mail at Gaisal in North Frontier Railway's Katihar division. Gaisal train disaster
- On 22 June 2001, the Mangalore Mail commuter train heading for Chennai was crossing the Kadalundi River in the state of Kerala near Calicut on Bridge 924, when four carriages derailed and fell into the river.
- On 9 September 2002, Howrah-New Delhi Rajdhani Express derailed at 2240 hrs near Rafiganj station between Gaya and Dehri-on-Sone stations, resulting in over 140 dead.
- On 27 February 2002, Sabarmati Express train near the Godhra railway station in the Indian state of Gujarat. leaving 58 people including 25 women and 15 children were burnt to death in a fire Communal clash.
- On 15 May 2003, fire breaks out in Golden Temple Mail at 3.55 hrs between Ludhiana and Ladhowal stations, resulting in 36 deaths and 15 injuries.
- On 22 June 2003, the train engine and first four coaches of Karwar–Mumbai central Holiday Special derailed and capsized at about 21.15 hrs.52 persons lost their lives and 26 others were injured.
- On 2 July 2003, Golconda Express derailed at Warangal station at 10.25 hrs. 21 persons were dead and 24 injured.
- 16 June 2004 Matsyagandha express Mangalore to Mumbai derails when striking a huge boulder on Konkan railway line; 14 dead.
- 14 December 2004 The Jammu Tawi Express coming from Jammu and the DMU Jalandhar-Amritsar passenger train coming from Jalandhar collided head-on at 11.45 am near Mansar village about 10 km from Mukerian town in Hoshiarpur district of Punjab. Due to the impact of the collision two coaches of the DMU passenger train and one coach of the Jammu Tawi Express derailed and overturned. Besides, the engines of both trains were reduced to rubble due to impact of the collision. The collision led to the death of 36 passengers and left 50 injured, few of them in a critical condition. Fortunately, the driver of the Jammu Tawi Express Harjinder, survived the accident. He received multiple fracture injuries in his legs. Trapped inside the mangles of the engine, he was pulled out by Army paramedical personnel. But the rest of the engine staff of both trains could not survive. The sources said the accident was allegedly caused due to a human error. Both trains received clearance tokens from Bangala and Mansar stations. But due to a fault in the telephone line the signalmen of both the sides failed to inform each other about the trains approaching from opposite directions. Generally both the trains crossed each other at Mirthal crossing, about 20 km from Pathankot. Though the DMU train was on schedule, the Tawi Jammu Express crossed the Mirthal crossing earlier.
- 25 October 2005- Passengers of Island Express had a miraculous escape when few coaches of the train which left Bangalore city at around 9:30PM derailed near Kamasamudram in andhra Pradesh on the Bangalore-Jolarpettai section leading to a breach of a bridge over a canal owing to heavy rains-However the incident led to major trains on Bangalore-Chennai route being cancelled including the Mysore Shatabdi, Lalbagh Express and diversion of the Chennai-Bangalore Mail via Salem for a few days.
- 29 October 2005 Repalle Secunderabad delta passenger derailed at Valigonda in Nalgonda district of Andhra pradesh. Some of the rakes fell in the Musi River killing at least 100 persons. This was due to severe rain.
- 26 November 2005 The first five coaches and locomotive of the Mandovi express were crushed in a tunnel near Ratnagiri after a rockfall. More than 100 people died and 500 were injured.
- 11 July 2006 – A series of bomb attacks strikes commuter trains in Mumbai, India, killing at least 200.
- 18 August 2006 two carriages catch fire on the Chennai–Hyderabad Express near Secundrabad station.
- 23 October 2006 Four women were killed and about 38 injured when last 4 bogies of the Mysore- Bangalore Push-Pull (Passenger) derails(Including the ladies coach at the end) within minutes of leaving Mysore junction at Palahalli at around 6:20 a.m.
- 9 November 2006 – 40 die and 15 injured in a West Bengal rail accident.
- 20 November 2006 – A bomb explodes on a train near Belacoba station in West Bengal, India, killing 7 and injuring 53. See 2006 West Bengal train disaster.
- 1 December 2006 – Bihar, Bhágalpur in the Ganges a portion of the 150-year-old 'Ulta Pul' bridge being dismantled collapsed over a passing train of India's Eastern Railways, killing 35 and injuring 17.
- 13 February 2009 – carriages of the Coromandel Express met with fire accident soon after the train left Jajpur Road station near the city of Jajpur in the state of Orissa. Interestingly, the accident occurred on the day of Railway Budget presentation when Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav boasted about increased safety measures at Indian Railways, it was later discovered that the Railway Minister had his fingers crossed when he made that statement.
- 29 April 2009- In a bizaare incident 7 people were killed an EMU of Southern railways running from Chennai Central rammed into a tanker on opposite side at Vyasarpadi Jeeva station-There was no scheduled EMU at 5AM towards Avadi as per SR release and train was believed to be run bu some unauthorized person and negligence on part of the motormen-the train rammed head on onto a tanker proceeding on the track towards Chennai beach and it isn't clear yet as to how a train moving towards Avadi entered into the fast track opposite side to ram into the freight
- 21 October 2009 – 21 people died and several others injured when locomotive of Goa Express rammed the rearmost carriage of stationary Mewar Express near Mathura, Uttar Pradesh. Initially the railways officials held the driver responsible for overlooking the signal but in the investigation it was proved that the signal was given green even though Mewar express was held up ahead due to chain pulling by passengers.
- 11 November 2009: 10 coaches of 6210 Mysore–Ajmer express derails 80 km before Pune; No casualties reported.
- 2 January 2010 – Three accidents involving five trains took place in Uttar Pradesh due to dense fog conditions.
- The first accident took place near the town of Etawah, about 170 miles (270 kilometers) southwest of Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh state, when the Lichchavi Express entering the station rammed into the stationery Magadh Express train stopped there. Ten people, including the driver of one of the trains, were injured.
- In a second similar accident, the Gorakhdham Express and Prayagraj Express collided near the Panki railway station in Kanpur, about 60 miles (100 kilometers) southwest of Lucknow. Ten people died and about 51 were injured.
- In Pratapgarh, 61 km from Allahabad, the Sarayu Express hit a tractor trolley at an unmanned railway crossing. The train engine was badly damaged, but no one was hurt.
- 3 January 2010 – The Arunachal Pradesh Express derailed near Helem. All seven cars left the track. No injuries were reported.
- 8 May 2010 – The Visakhapatnam - Secunderabad/Hyderabad 2727 Godavari Express escaped from a mishap, as the engine loses the link between the coaches, the driver/Trainman informs the railway station about the detachment and joins the coaches once again, the train safely arrives at the secunderabad railway station on Saturday morning (8 May 2010)
- 25 May 2010 – A Rajdhani Express train travelling from Delhi to Guwahati derailed in Naugachia, Bihar at IST 6:40 am (UTC+5:30). All passengers survived and 11 sustained minor injuries. The train derailed as the driver applied emergency brakes after listening to a loud explosion nearby. Currently, no Maoists link is being indicated. There were no casualties reported as the coaches did not fall off the tracks. All passengers were taken from the train. The injured were treated by the medical officials present on the spot.The derailment halted all railway traffic in the Delhi–Guwahati line. While five passenger trains, including the Tatanagar–Chapra Express, have been cancelled, at least three express trains have been diverted. These include the Awadh Assam Express, Mahananda Express and the Barmer–Guwahati Express. A special 17-coach train was sent to take the 986 passengers on board the derailed train to their destinations.
- 28 May 2010 – West Bengal, the Gyaneshwari Express train derailment, a suspected attack by Communist Party of India (Maoist) kills at least 170 people when the Mumbai-bound Howrah Kurla Lokmanya Tilak Gyaneshwari Super Deluxe Express is derailed by an explosion (or by a sabotage) between Khemashuli and Sardiha in West Midnapore district at 1:30 AM midnight, and then struck by a goods train.
- 4 June 2010 – Mini bus was hit by the Coimbatore–Mettupalayam special train at an unmanned level-crossing at Idigarai near Coimbatore on Friday. Five people were killed in the accident.
- 18 June 2010 – At least 27 persons were injured, two of them critically, when the 8084 Amaravati Express from Vasco-da Gama to Howrah derailed near Koppal (Karnataka) after ramming into a road-roller at an unmanned level crossing.
- 19 July 2010 – Sainthia train collision occurred in Sainthia, West Bengal, India, when the Uttar Banga Express collided with the Vananchal Express. Casualties stand at 63 people dead and more than 165 people injured, with many still trapped in wreckage
- 17 August 2010 – Four people were killed in a train accident which occurred on Faizabad-Lucknow rail-section at Goryamau railway station of Barabanki district located between Rudauli and Rozagaon towns.
- 18 April 2011 – Three coaches of the Mumbai - Delhi Rajdhani Express caught fire near Ratlam district in Madhya Pradesh. The train, carrying nearly 900 passengers caught fire while running between Bikramgarh Alot and Phuria stations in Kota division. The coaches were removed from the train and the fire was put out quickly. No passenger was harmed.
- 16 May 2011 – Just after midnight 15 May, a truck on the rail cum road bridge of Rajahmundry fell onto the railway lines. An incoming high speed goods train powered by a WAG 9 smashed into the truck destroying it and the railway tracks there. Due to it, several trains between Vijayawada Junction and Visakhapatnam Junction were delayed for more than 05:30 hours. Trains were held up at Nidadavole, Samalkot and Kaikaluru.
- 7 July 2011 – A Mathura Chhapra Express train rams into a bus carrying wedding guests around 2 a.m. at an unmanned railway crossing in Thanagaon, Kanshiram Nagar district, Uttar Pradesh, killing 38 and injuring 30.
- 10 July 2011 – Kalka Mail derails near Fatehpur, Uttar Pradesh killing 70 people and injuring more than 300.
- 10 July 2011 – The engine along with 4 coaches of Guwahati Puri Express derails between Rangiya and Ghagrapar, Nalbari district, Assam at 8:10 PM, & capsized in a rivulet. The Cause of the disaster presumed to a sabotage to the track with explosives by local millitants. IED wires were found near the accident spot.
- 12 July 2011 - New Delhi-Patna Rajdhani Express's coach caught fire near outskirts in New Delhi. No casualties.
- 22 July 2011 - Two wagons of a goods train carrying cement bags derailed near Rambagh railway station under NER zone on Friday morning, no casualties reported.
- 23 July 2011 - Less than 24 hours after a goods train derailed in Uttar Pradesh's Allahabad district, eight wagons of another goods train on Saturday jumped tracks at almost the same place where the first incident took place.
- 31 July 2011 – The engine and some coaches of the Guwahati Bangalore Express derail and are hit by another train in Malda district, West Bengal. At least three people are killed and 200 injured.
- 2 September 2011 - Two bogies of a goods train were damaged and three others derailed after it was hit by a rail engine near the rail yard in Whitefield railway station in Bangalore on Friday.
- 13 September 2011 - A Chennai suburban MEMU train rammed into a stationary Arakonam-Katpadi passenger train at around 9.30 PM. Ten people were killed and many injured. It happened between Melpakkam and Chitheri Station in Vellore district. The passenger train was waiting for the signal. In the impact eight coaches were derailed and 3 were completely damaged.
- 22 November 2011 - Howrah-Dehradun express train caught fire- 7 burnt to death. It was around 2.30am when coach number B1 of the Dehradun-bound train caught fire. Later, the fire spread to coach B2. Both coaches were badly burnt, but all the casualties were from B1.
- 11 January 2012 - Five persons were killed and nine others, including a child, injured in a collision between the Delhi-bound Brahmaputra Mail and a stationary goods train.
- 5 February 2012 - Nearly 1,000 passengers of a Gwalior-bound narrow-gauge train escaped unhurt when its engine derailed after hitting a tractor and the coaches got stuck over a canal bridge.
- 26 February 2012 - Three people died and one man was injured, when Kozhikode-bound Jan Satabdi Express ran into a crowd of people who were watching Uthralikkavu pooram sample fireworks standing on the railway track.
- 19 March 2012 - Seven persons were injured when the locomotive of 73261 Islampur-Patna MEMU passenger train dashed against a truck at a manned level crossing gate near Daniyawan on Fatuha-Islampur section under the Danapur division of East Central Railway (ECR).
- 20 March 2012 - 15 people were killed when a train collided with an overcrowded taxi minivan at an unmanned railroad crossing in northern Uttar Pradesh state, Mahamaya Nagar district, 296 kilometres from state capital Lucknow.
- 26 March 2012 - A loco pilot of a Mainline Electric Multiple Unit (MEMU) train and a truck driver were killed when the speeding passenger train rammed into a boulder-ferrying truck at the Kannamangala gate on the outskirts of Bangalore.
- 6 May 2012 - Coaches of Mumbai Bound 12138 Firozpur Mumbai Punjab Mail Derailed in Haryana. Coaches from S5 to S11 and even general coaches had derailed. No deaths are reported.
- 22 May 2012 - The Hubli-Bangalore, Hampi Express collided with a goods train near Penukonda in Andhra Pradesh early on Tuesday morning on its way from Hubli to Bangalore. 14 people were dead and 35 were injured in the collision. The accident happened at around 3:45 am on Tuesday.
- 31 May 2012 - Howrah-Dehradun-Doon Express,derailed near Jaunpur(U.P.).At least 7 people killed and 15 sevearly injured.
- 19 July 2012 - One person was killed, four were injured seriously, and nine sustained minor injuries in a collision between a local train and Vidarbha Express near Khardi station near Nashik on Mumbai-Kasara route.
- 30 July 2012 - One of the coaches of the Chennai-bound Tamil Nadu Express (New Delhi - Chennai) caught fire early on 30 July morning, near Nellore in Andhra Pradesh. 47 people have died and 25 others have been injured.
- 16 October 2012 - A bogie of the Solapur-bound passenger train from Hyderabad caught fire during its halt at the station in Gulbarga. There were over 15 passengers in the bogie of the Falaknuma Passenger after it arrived at the station at 12:30 PM and caught fire, but six jumped to safety. Some of the passengers were headed for Tuljapur in Maharashtra to attend the Bhavani festival which takes place during Navaratri. Immolation by couple led to fire in train at Gulbarga station, says Railway police
- 30 Nov 2012 - At least two AC coaches of GT Express caught fire near Gwalior on Friday, claiming several lives
- 19 December 2012-Indore Yeshwantpur Exp Met an Accident at Medak District near Sankhapur. Accident occurred by hitting a lorry to 300mts. Many were injured.
- 20 December 2012 - The Loco of Pune Ernakulam Superfast Express slipped from tracks at Lanja village near Nivsar. No one was Injured.
- February 2013 - 12618 Hazrat Nizamuddin-Ernakulam South Mangala Lakshadweep SF Express derailed at Pen Railway station which is situated on Panvel-Roha section of Central Railway.Nobody was injured.
- 10 April 2013 - Seven compartments of the 15228 Muzaffarpur-Yeshvantpur Weekly Express derailed near Arakkonam, 40 km from Chennai killing one passenger and leaving another seriously injured.
- 19 August 2013 - Dhamara Ghat train accident, at least 35 people died when 12567 Saharsa-Patna Rajya Rani SF Express ran over people at the Dhamara station near Saharsa in Bihar 
- 2 November 2013 - 10 people were ran over by 13352 Alapuzha-Dhanbad express, near Gotlam in Vizianagaram district on Saturday evening at around 6:30PM .It started after passengers of the 57271 Vijayawada-Rayagada passenger pulled the chain at the railway yard at Gotlam railway station when they heard a rumour that a compartment of the train was on fire. They then alighted the train and jumped onto the tracks at around 6.50pm .It was dark and the passengers didn't see the express train coming on the adjacent rack. The express train ran over them, killing 10 people, and injuring at least 20.
- 13 November 2013 - A herd of 40 elephants was struck by a passenger train in Chapramari Wildlife Sanctuary.
- 15 November 2013 - 13 Coaches of Ernakulam Bound 12618 Down Nizamuddin Ernakulam Mangala Lakshadweep Superfast Express were derailed near Ghoti village, at 6.25 am at Kms 145/15 about 30 km from Nashik district. 3 to 4 people died and dozens injured. Out of thirteen coaches,most affected coaches were S11,B1,B2,B3,A1 and Pantry Car. The cause is stated to be possibility of Rail fracture. Injured were shifted to various hospitals in Nashik.
- 28 December 2013 - An AC coach of the 16594 Bangalore City-Hazur Sahib Nanded express caught fire near Kothacheruvu in Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh resulting in the death of at least 26 people and injuring 12 others. The incident took place early in the morning around 3:15 am. 54 passengers are expected to be on board in the B1 compartment of the train which was completely gutted in the fire.
- A Number of minor mishaps took place in the Mumbai Suburban section of Indian Railways in March and early April.
- 20 March 2014 An 18-year-old student was killed while nine persons, including two women and a railway guard, were injured when six coaches of a local train derailed after getting uncoupled from the rest of the train at Titwala, 61 km from Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus.
- 18 April 2014 - 11068 Faizabad Junction-Lokmanya Tilak Terminus Express derailed near Asangaon in the evening, holding up services on the Central Railway. The engine and one coach of the Faizabad-LTT Express derailed around 8pm. The CR spokesperson said, "There were no injuries and cause of derailment was not known."
- May 4, 2014 - 50105 Diva Junction-Sawantvadi Passenger train derailed between Nagothane and Roha stations at 9-30 AM. About 20 are dead while about 100 are injured. Several other trains were delayed, cancelled or diverted in the Konkan Railways.
- 26 May 2014 - 12556 Gorakhpur bound Gorakhdham Express rammed into an stationary goods train near Khalilabad station in Sant Kabir Nagar district of Uttar Pradesh killing at least 25 and injuring over 50.
- 25 June 2014 - 12236- Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express Derailed near Bihar's Chapra town, Four Killed and Eight injured.
- 14 December 2014 - 12381 UP Howrah - New Delhi Poorva Express derailed at 8.27 am after leaving Howrah at 8.15 am. 11 sleeper coaches and a pantry car (AC Hot Buffer Car) of the New Delhi-bound Poorva Express derailed at Liluah shortly after leaving Howrah station. There was no casualty or injury to any passenger, railway officials said.
- 13 February 2015 - 12677 Bangalore City - Ernakulam Intercity Express derailed near Anekal town at 7.35 am. Initial reports suggest a boulder may have fallen on the track. D-7 and D-8 general compartment coaches are the worst affected. 12 dead and 100 got injured as reported.
- 01 March 2015 - 12617 Ernakulam - Hazrat Nizamuddin Mangala Lakshadweep Express derails near Pen station of Maharashtra; no one is injured.
- 20 March 2015 – 39 dead, 150 people injured as Dehradun-Varanasi Janta Express derails in Uttar Pradesh's Rae Bareli.
- 25 May 2015- Muri Express derails in Uttar Pradesh leaving 4 people dead and more than 50 injured. 
- Disaster to Indian mail train, The Glasgow Herald (November 6, 1891)
- A big smash, The Straits Times (November 4, 1907)
- Mail trains collide, The Straits Times (December 15, 1908)
- 50 killed in train wreck in India, The Hartford Courant (April 28, 1920)
- 107 dead in train wreck, The Leader-Post (July 19, 1937)
- Train wrecked, The Sydney Morning Herald (July 19, 1937)
- Bombay Train Wreck Kills 10, The Baltimore Sun (June 29, 1939)
- Train wreck kills 12 near Bombay, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (October 5, 1942)
- Ghastly toll in massacres, The Age (September 26, 1947)
- 32 Are Killed as India Train Jumps Into Stream, Chicago Daily Tribune (April 13, 1950)
- 100 killed in train wreck, Daytona Beach Morning Journal (May 8, 1950)
- Ten killed in train accident near Delhi, The Indian Express (September 4, 1951)
- 15 persons killed in India train wreck, Eugene Register-Guard (January 4, 1954)
- 31 are killed in train blast, Gettysburg Times (April 1, 1954)
- New Delhi train hits truck, 10 are killed, Youngstown Vindicator (September 16, 1954)
- 73 are killed in India crash, Sarasota Herald-Tribune (September 29, 1954)
- 125 killed in Indian rail disaster, St. Petersburg Times (September 3, 1956)
- 104 on train killed in India, The Miami News (November 23, 1956)
- 18 killed in Bombay train crash, The Age (June 3, 1957)
- 50 Killed, Scores Hurt In Indian Train Wreck, The New York Times (November 24, 1957)
- 48 Killed in North India In Wreck of Fast Train, The New York Times (July 23, 1962)
- 25 on train killed, The Milwaukee Sentinel (November 13, 1962)
- 15 workers killed in train collision, Ocala Star-Banner (June 20, 1965)
- 55 killed, 127 hurt in India train blast, The Miami News (April 21, 1966)
- Train blast death toll climbs to 40, The Spokesman-Review (April 25, 1966)
- 57 people are killed in Indian train wreck, The Times-New (June 13, 1966)
- 25 Killed, 38 Hurt as Train Hits Bus in India, Chicago Tribune (May 17, 1968)
- 32 atop train killed in India, The Milwaukee Journal (February 4, 1969)
- 85 killed in India rail collision, The New York Times (July 16, 1969)
- Train derails, 21 killed, The Milwaukee Sentinel (April 27, 1972)
- 41 killed in train crash, The Glasgow Herald (February 22, 1974)
- 45 killed in India in train derailment, Ottawa Citizen (May 31, 1977)
- 20 killed in train crash, Reading Eagle (November 24, 1977)
- 30 killed in train collision, Eugene Register-Guard (April 19, 1978)
- 5 Killed in Bombay Train Crash, The New York Times (November 15, 1979)
- Trains crash; 18 killed, Observer-Reporter (December 24, 1979)
- India Railway Board: Report on Indian Railways; Manager of Publications, 1981. (p. 53)
- "Railway Minister's statement in parliament on recent train accidents". Press Information Bureau. 22 July 2003. Retrieved 8 August 2009.
- BBC News: Mumbai Train Attacks
- Associated Press "India train bomb kills 7, hurts 53" CNN 21 November 2006
- "Dozens killed as bridge falls on train". Patna Daily.
- "Bhagalpur tragedy: Lalu blames officials, contractor". Chennai, India: The Hindu.[dead link]
- "Train crash in India 'kills 15'". BBC News. 13 February 2009. Retrieved 13 February 2009.
- "GOA COLLISION KILLS 22". Railways Africa. 2009-10-26. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "At least 10 killed in train crashes in northern India". Reuters. 2 January 2010. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "7 coaches of Arunachal Pradesh derail in Assam, passengers safe". netindian. Retrieved 5 January 2010.
- "Guwahati bound Rajdhani Exp derails near Naugachia". JaiBihar News. 25 May 2010. Retrieved 25 May 2010.[dead link]
- "GEleven passengers injured as Rajdhani coaches derail". NDTV. 25 May 2010. Retrieved 25 May 2010.
- "Bihar: 14 coaches of Delhi-Guwahati Rajdhani derail". NDTV. 25 May 2010. Retrieved 25 May 2010.
- At least 25 dead in India train blast and collision BBC News, 28 May 2010
- Palaniappan, V.S. (4 June 2010). "5 Killed As Train Rams Mini-Bus". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- Last Updated: 06 Jun 13:23 PM IST. "27 hurt in Amaravati Express derailment". Thestatesman.net. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- [dead link]
- Train accident in Sainthia, West Bengal: Many dead, 70 Injured
- Dozens dead in train crash in eastern India
- Nelson, Dean (19 July 2010). "Indian train crash: 60 killed as trains collide". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- "ट्रेन से चार कटे". Khas Khabar. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- "Train catches fire in India, passengers OK". United Press International. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "TV5 - Goods Train Accident in Rajahmundry". TV5 (India). Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "38 killed as train rams into bus in Uttar Pradesh". Economic Times. 7 July 2011. Retrieved 29 July 2011.[dead link]
- Polgreen, Lydia (10 July 2011). "Scores Are Killed as Train in India Derails". New York Times. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- indianexpress.com (12 July 2011). "Toll climbs to 70, 300 injured". Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- "Over 100 hurt in Guwahati-Puri Express train derailment". Jagran Post. 11 July 2011. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- 2 wagons of goods train derail
- Another goods train derails in Uttar Pradesh
- "Three killed in train crash in India's West Bengal". BBC. 31 July 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- "Rail engine rams into goods train in Bangalore - Bangalore - DNA". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- Kumar, S.Vijay (13 September 2011). "10 Killed, Over 70 Injured As Train Rams Stationary Passenger Train". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- "Train catches fire in Jharkhand, 7 die". Hindustan Times. 2011-11-22. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "5 killed, 9 injured in Jharkhand train accident". Hindustan Times. 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "Train derails after hitting tractor in Bhopal". Zeenews.india.com. 2012-02-06. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "Three die in train accident". The Times Of India. 28 February 2012.
- "7 Hurt As Train Hits Truck". The Times Of India. 19 March 2012.
- AFP (2012-03-20). "Atleast 15 killed in train collision in India | AAJ News". Aaj.tv. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "2 Drivers Killed As Train Rams Into Truck". The Times Of India. 27 March 2012.
- "India train fire kills 47 in Andhra Pradesh". BBC News. 30 July 2012.
- VP, Abhirr (23 October 2012). "Immolation by couple led to fire in train at Gulbarga station, says Railway police". Bangalore. IBN Live. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Commissioner of Railway Safety to probe accident". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2013-04-11. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- "Bihar: 35 killed as speeding train runs over devotees at Dhamara halt, triggers protest". Hindustan Times. 2013-08-19. Retrieved 2013-08-19.
- "Passengers jump out of train in panic, 10 run over". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2 November 2013.
- "Repurcussion due to derailment Of 12618 Nizamuddin - Ernakulam Mangala". 15 November 2013.
- "Maharashtra Train accident 2014 May.". The Hindu (Maharashtra, India). 5 May 2014.
- "Gorakhdham Express derails in Sant Kabir Nagar UP killing at least 25". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "New Delhi-Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express Derails in Bihar, Four Killed". NDTV. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- "9 dead as inter-city train derails near Bengaluru". The Hindu. Retrieved 2015-02-14.
- "Three coaches of Mangala Express derail". The Hindu. Retrieved 2015-03-01.
- "15 dead, 150 injured as train derails in UP's Rae Bareli". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-03-20.
- 1990s - Chronology of major Indian Train Accidents - Times of India
- "Major Railway Accidents in India, 2000-09" by Ajai Banerji, ISBN 978-1-257-84773-0 and ISBN 978-81-921876-0-0