List of Indian state animals
India, officially the Republic of India is a country in South Asia. It is made up of 28 states and 8 union territories. All Indian states have their own government and the Union territories come under the jurisdiction of the Central Government. As most of the other countries India too has a national emblem—the Lion Capital of Sarnath.
Apart from India's national emblem, each of its States and Union Territories have their own state seals and symbols which include state animals, birds, trees, flowers etc. A list of state animals of India is given below. See Symbols of Indian states and territories for a complete list of all State characters and seals.
|Union territory||Common name||Binomial name||Image||IUCN Category||Notes|
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Dugong||Dugong dugon||VU||strictly herbivore aquatic animal hence also known as Sea Cow|
|Chandigarh||Indian Gray Mongoose||Herpestes edwardsi||LC|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu||Not yet designated|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Kashmir stag/Hangul||Cervus elaphus hanglu||CR||Found in Kashmir Valley and Dachigam National Park|
|Ladakh||Snow leopard||Uncia uncia or Panthera uncia||VU|
|Lakshadweep||Butterfly fish||Chaetodon decussatus||NT|
|Puducherry||Indian palm squirrel||Funambulus palmarum||LC|
- Bengal tiger, the national animal of India
- List of Indian state symbols
- List of Indian state flags
- List of Indian state emblems
- List of Indian state mottos
- List of Indian state songs
- List of Indian state foundation days
- List of Indian state birds
- List of Indian state flowers
- List of Indian state trees
- ^ "Symbols of States of India".
- ^ a b "IUCN Red List of Threatened Species: Blackbuck". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 21 June 2016. Retrieved 2020-03-22.
- ^ "State animal of Bihar (Gaur) - complete detail - updated". natureconservation.in. 21 February 2018. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- ^ Perinchery, Aathira (2017-08-16). "India has 27,312 elephants, census shows". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2017-10-14.