List of Indian states and territories by Human Development Index
The national average HDI for India in 2008 was 0.467. By 2010, its average HDI had risen to 0.519. UNDP, the sponsor of Human Development Index methodology since 1990, reported India's HDI to be 0.554 for 2012, an 18% increase over its 2008 HDI. United Nations Declared India's HDI is 0.586 in 2014, an 5.77% increase over 2012. As for the year 2015, HDI for India stood at 0.609.
There are many ways to calculate HDI, and its calculation is sensitive to base data and assumptions. Using another approach, UNDP India and Government of India calculated the HDI nationwide average to be 0.605 in 2006. This data was published by the Indian Government. Note that the 2007-2008 HDI values in the table below is not based on income as is the UNDP standard practice for global comparisons, but on estimated consumption expenditure - an assumption which underestimates the HDI than actual. Further, data was unavailable for the following states and union territories: Chandigarh, Lakshadweep, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Daman and Diu, Puducherry, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
|6||NE (excluding Assam)||0.573||0.473|
|10||Jammu and Kashmir||0.529||0.465|
Compared with the previous Indian National Human Development Reports and the latest state-level government statistical report, India has significantly improved its HDI in all of its administrative subdivisions:
Very High/High Human Development Index
Medium human development index
Low human development index
Lack of information
- "Gendering Human Development Indices" (PDF). Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India with UNDP India. March 2009.
- "India Human Development Report 2011 (Towards Social Inclusion)" (PDF). IAMR, Planning Commission, Government of India. p. 257. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "Selected Socio-Economic Statistics India, 2011" (PDF). Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of India. October 2011. Table 11.1, page 165. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "India Human Development Report 2011 (Towards Social Inclusion)" (PDF). IAMR, Planning Commission, Government of India. p. 17. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Human Development Report 2013 UNDP, page 64, Tabel 3.1
- "Human Development Report 2014 – Sustaining Human Progress: Reducing Vulnerabilities and Building Resilience". United Nations Development Programme. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "India ranks 130th in 2015 Human Development Index: Things you should know". indiatoday.intoday.in. India Today. December 2015. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Gendering Human Development Indices, Ministry of Women and Child Development, Govt of India with UNDP India (2009)
- "India Human Development Report 2011 (Towards Social Inclusion)" (PDF). IAMR, Planning Commission, Government of India. p. 24. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Meghalaya Human Development Report 2008" (PDF). p. 23.
- "General Reports: Planning Commission, Government of India". planningcommission.nic.in. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "India Human Development Report 2011 (Towards Social Inclusion) - Summary" (PDF). IAMR, Planning Commission, Government of India. p. 2. Retrieved 27 October 2014.