List of Indian states and territories by Human Development Index
The national average HDI for India in 2008 was 0.467. By 2010, its average HDI had risen to 0.519. UNDP, the sponsor of Human Development Index methodology since 1990, reported India's HDI to be 0.554 for 2012, an 18% increase over its 2008 HDI. United Nations Declared India's HDI is 0.586 in 2014, an 5.77% increase over 2012.
There are many ways to calculate HDI, and its calculation is sensitive to base data and assumptions. Using another approach, UNDP India and Government of India calculated the HDI nationwide average to be 0.605 in 2006.
This data was published by the Indian Government. Note that the 2007-2008 HDI values in the table below is not based on income as is the UNDP standard practice for global comparisons, but on estimated consumption expenditure - an assumption which underestimates the HDI than actual. Further, data was unavailable for the following states and union territories: Chandigarh, Lakshadweep, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Daman and Diu, Puducherry, and Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
|6||NE (excluding Assam)||0.573|
|10||Jammu and Kashmir||0.529|
Compared with the previous Indian National Human Development Reports and the latest state-level government statistical report, India has significantly improved its HDI in all of its administrative subdivisions:
Very High/High Human Development Index
Medium human development index
Low human development index
Lack of information
- Gendering Human Development Indices, Ministry of Women and Child Development, Govt of India with UNDP India (2009)
- "India Human Development Report 2011 (Towards Social Inclusion)" (PDF). IAMR, Planning Commission, Government of India. p. 257. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Selected Socio-Economic Statistics India 2011 Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementations, Govt of India (October 2011), Table 11.1, page 165
- "India Human Development Report 2011 (Towards Social Inclusion)" (PDF). IAMR, Planning Commission, Government of India. p. 17. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Human Development Report 2013 UNDP, page 64, Tabel 3.1
- "Human Development Report 2014 – "Sustaining Human Progress: Reducing Vulnerabilities and Building Resilience"".
- "India Human Development Report 2011 (Towards Social Inclusion)" (PDF). IAMR, Planning Commission, Government of India. p. 24. Retrieved 2 July 2014.