List of Indianapolis Colts first-round draft picks
The Baltimore Colts joined the National Football League (NFL) in 1953 where they participated in their first NFL Draft and selected Billy Vessels, a halfback from the University of Oklahoma. The team's most recent first round selection was Andrew Luck, a quarterback from Stanford in the 2012 NFL Draft.
Every year during April, each NFL franchise seeks to add new players to its roster through a collegiate draft officially known as the NFL Annual Player Selection Meeting but more commonly known as the NFL Draft. Teams are ranked in inverse order based on the previous season's record, with the worst record picking first, and the second worst picking second and so on. The two exceptions to this order are made for teams that appeared in the previous Super Bowl; the Super Bowl champion always picks last, and the Super Bowl loser always picks second last. Teams have the option of trading away their picks to other teams for different picks, players, cash, or a combination thereof. Thus, it is not uncommon for a team's actual draft pick to differ from their assigned draft pick, or for a team to have extra or no draft picks in any round due to these trades.
The Colts have selected the number one overall pick in the draft on seven separate occasions, one of which was used to select Super Bowl XLI MVP Peyton Manning. They have also selected the second overall pick five times and the third overall pick twice. The team's five selections from Ohio State University are the most chosen by the Colts from one university.
|*||Selected number one overall|
|†||Enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame|
- Alder, James. "NFL Draft Basics:Determining Order of Selection". football.about.com. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- Lottery bonus pick.
- Acquired from the New Orleans Saints – Pro Football Draft History 1967
- Acquired from the Miami Dolphins – Pro Football Draft History 1971
- Acquired from the San Diego Chargers – Pro Football Draft History 1973
- Acquired from the Los Angeles Rams – Pro Football Draft History 1974
- Acquired from the Atlanta Falcons – Pro Football Draft History 1975
- Acquired from the Dallas Cowboys – Pro Football Draft History 1980
- Acquired from the Minnesota Vikings – Pro Football Draft History 1981
- Acquired from the Los Angeles Rams – Pro Football Draft History 1982
- Traded Elway to the Denver Broncos for QB Mark Herrmann, rights to OL Chris Hinton and a first-round pick in the 1984 NFL Draft. – A 'true test' for Elway
- From Denver Broncos in Elway trade
- The Colts traded their #20 overall pick to the Los Angeles Rams – Pro Football Draft History 1988
- The Colts traded their #13 overall pick to the Atlanta Falcons – Pro Football Draft History 1991
- Acquired from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Pro Football Draft History 1992
- Acquired from the Los Angeles Rams – Pro Football Draft History 1994
- The Colts traded their #29 overall pick to the Atlanta Falcons – Pro Football Draft History 2004
- The Colts traded their 1st round pick (29th overall) to the San Francisco 49ers
- Colts First Round Pick? Essentially, it's Trent Richardson -
- "databasefootball.com – IND Colts". databasefootball.com. Retrieved January 13, 2008.
- "Indianapolis Colts (1984-Present)". Sports E-cyclopedia. Retrieved January 13, 2008.
- "Hall of Famers by Franchise". Pro Football Hall of Fame official Web site. Archived from the original on December 27, 2007. Retrieved January 13, 2008.
- "NFL Draft History: First Round by Team: IND Colts". National Football League official Web site. Retrieved January 13, 2008.
- "Professional Football Transactions Archive". NC Systems website. Archived from the original on November 7, 2007. Retrieved January 13, 2008.