List of Iraqi Americans
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Lists of Americans|
|By U.S. state|
|By ethnicity or nationality|
This is a list of notable Iraqi Americans, including both original immigrants who obtained American citizenship and their American descendants.
- Ibraham Alzubaidy, academic actor, director, and writer, born in Kut, Iraq in 1978. He studied at California State University, Northridge, majoring in Cinema and Television Art-Screenwriting.
- Elias Alsabti, medical researcher and writer
- Sinan Antoon, academic, writer, filmmaker
- Hind Rassam Culhane, professor
- Rafil A. Dhafir, physician
- Mona Hanna-Attisha, pediatrician, professor, Flint Water Crisis whistleblower and public health advocate
- Khidir Hamza, scientist
- Emanuel Kamber, Ph. D. is an Assyrian Physics professor at Western Michigan University
- Majid Khadduri, academic and founder of the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies Middle East Studies program
- Thomas L. Saaty, Assyrian-Iraqi University Professor at the University of Pittsburgh
- Nada Shabout, art historian and Assistant Professor at the University of North Texas
- Ella Shohat, professor, author and activist
- Saadi Simawe, translator, novelist and teacher
- Donny George Youkhanna, Iraqi Assyrian archaeologist, anthropologist, author, curator, and scholar, and a visiting professor at Stony Brook University in New York, internationally known as "the man who saved the Iraqi National Museum."
- Dahlia Wasfi, activist
- Ibraham Alzubaidy, actor, director, and writer, born in Kut, Iraq in 1978. He studied at California State University, Northridge, majoring in Cinema and Television Art-Screenwriting.
- David Chokachi, actor of Arab and Finnish descent
- Romeo Akrawi, Iraqi Assyrian actor and producer, known for Titanic as a Romeo Francis.
- Yasmine Hanani, actress known for her role in Voices of Iraq and The Kingdom
- Nicholas Kadi, actor
- Chris Kattan, comedian and actor; best known for his work on Saturday Night Live; paternal grandfather was of Iraqi Jewish descent
- Vincent Oshana, Assyrian-Iraqi Actor
- Heather Raffo, award winning playwright/actress most known for her role in 9 Parts of Desire
- Basam Ridha, actor
- Alia Shawkat, actress known as Maeby Fünke on Arrested Development, father is from Iraq
- Zina Zaflow, actress
- Hisham N. Ashkouri, architect
- M. J. Alhabeeb, calligrapher
- Sama Raena Alshaibi, artist
- Halla Ayla, artist
- Wafaa Bilal, artist and professor at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- Hayv Kahraman, artist/painter
- Toba Khedoori, artist
- Remy Munasifi, also known as GoRemy
- Ibraham Alzubaidy, filmmaker
- Usama Alshaibi, filmmaker
- Carole Basri, filmmaker
- Ali Hossaini, filmmaker, philosopher and pacifist
- Anisa Mehdi, Emmy Award winning film director and journalist
- Alfred Rasho, Iraqi Assyrian documentary filmmaker
- Romeo Akrawi, Iraqi Assyrian filmmaker
- Amy Fadhli, fitness model, actress and winner of the Fitness America National Champion 1996
- Hanan Alattar, soprano opera singer
- Rahim AlHaj, musician and composer
- Ahmed El Faleh, singer who participated in Super Star 3, the pan-Arabic version of Pop Idol
- Amir ElSaffar, musician and younger brother of Dena
- Everlast, singer, song-writer
- Sargon Gabriel, Assyrian singer
- Linda George, Assyrian singer
- Juliana Jendo, Assyrian singer
- Chemda Khalili, singer/songwriter and co-host of the Keith and The Girl podcast
- Ashur Bet Sargis, Assyrian singer
- Janan Sawa, Assyrian musician
- Stephan Said, musician, writer and political activist
- TIMZ, Assyrian rapper
- Rend al-Rahim Francke, politician, political activist and once held the position as Iraqi ambassador to the United States
- Ayham al-Samarie, politician
- Adam Benjamin, Jr., Assyrian-Iraqi, Indiana Congressman
- Anna Eshoo, Assyrian-Iraqi, California Congressman
- John Nimrod, Assyrian-Iraqi, Illinois Senator
- Qubad Talabani, Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) representative in Washington DC and son of Iraqi president Jalal Talabani
- Alex Agase, Assyrian-American, top level American football (Gridiron) player
- Lou Agase, Assyrian-American, top level American football (Gridiron) player
- Najah Ali, boxer
- Steven Beitashour, Assyrian currently plays for San Jose Earthquakes in Major League Soccer.
- Falah Hassan, footballer
- Joseph Ashur Lazarus, Assyrian-American boxer, U.S. based bantamweight, boxed in 1924 Olympics
- Justin Meram, Chaldean U.S. based soccer player
- Michael Shabaz, Assyrian American tennis player
Writers and journalists
- Ibrahim al-Marashi, academic plagiarized by the British government
- Lorraine Ali, reporter, editor, culture writer and music critic for Newsweek
- Alise Alousi, Iraqi-American poet
- Sinan Antoon, poet, novelist and translator
- Leila Barclay, American journalist and storyteller
- Alon Ben-Meir, professor, writer and is the Middle East Project director at the World Policy Institute
- Sargon Boulus, Assyrian-Iraqi
- Abdul Ameer Yousef Habeeb, journalist
- Jack Marshall (author), poet and author
- Dunya Mikhail, poet
- Armand Nassery, author and filmmaker
- Greg Patent, author (Born in Hong Kong to a Russian father and Iraqi mother)
- Daniel Pearl, journalist (kidnapped and murdered in Pakistan)
- Ayad Rahim, journalist
- Mahmoud Saeed, an Iraqi novelist was born in Mosul in 1939. Wrote more than twenty novels and story collections, and hundreds of articles. He started writing short stories at an early age.
- Zainab Salbi, writer, activist, co-founder and president of Women for Women International
- Cindy Sargon, Assyrian-Iraqi TV Chef
- Rachel Wahba, writer
- Thura Al Windawi, author
- Obelit Yadgar, Assyrian-Iraqi- Radio Glendale, Wisconsin
- Husham Al-Husainy, Sheikh of the Karbalaa Islamic Education Center
- Hassan Al-Qazwini, religious leader
- Mohammed Odeh al-Rehaief, attorney who helped the United States armed forces rescue Jessica Lynch from Iraq
- Ahmed Qusai al-Taayie, soldier
- Aban Elias, civil engineer, (held hostage and has not been heard from)
- Samir Gegea, Iraqi interpreter who captured Saddam Hussein
- Jumana Hanna, involved in war propaganda
- Farris Hassan
- Michael Mizrachi, professional poker player (Iraqi Jewish father)
- Robert Mizrachi, professional poker player and older brother of Michael Mizrachi
- Mohammad Munaf, terrorist
- Samuel Nalo, businessman, hijacker, burglar, and brother of Robert
- Nadya Suleman, gave birth octuplets in January 2008
- Abdul Rahman Yasin, suspected American terrorist
- "Modern Arab Art: Formation of Arab Aesthetics: Books: NADA M. SHABOUT". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Added by carlmedr on December 20, 2005 (2005-12-20). "Iraqi Art: Continuity Through Contemporaneity by Nada Shabout at Carleton College Boliou Hall, Room 104 (Thursday, January 12, 2006) - Upcoming". Upcoming.yahoo.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-15. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "News". Montreal Mirror. 2007-11-21. Archived from the original on 2012-06-30. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "UNT Insider - May 2007 - Nada Shabout". Unt.edu. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Research Magazine 2006 - The University of North Texas Archived March 15, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- P.O. BOX 158. "Montalvo Arts Center | Nada Shabout". Montalvoarts.org. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Akpia@Mit Archived November 23, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Nicholas Kadi, actor with Iraqi roots". Ihrc.org.uk. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Halla Ayla". Icanartworks.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Janan Sawa Musical Networks". Janansawa.com. 2008-06-19. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Joseph Lazarus - Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia". Boxrec.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Ishtar Broadcasting Corporation". Ishtartv.com. 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Bios&Abstracts". Web.mit.edu. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Smith, Brian. "Women in Black quietly denounces Bush and bombs". Metrotimes.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Sinan Antoon". Selvesandothers.org. 2004-05-25. Archived from the original on 2012-07-17. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Author Greg Patent brings us scrumptious chocolate treats.
- The New Yorker Magazine 1/12-18/2010