List of Irish Presbyterians
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following are notable Irish Presbyterians:
- Rev JB Armour, Presbyterian minister who supported Home Rule
- Dr Henry Cooke, 19th century Presbyterian leader
- J Ernest Davey, theologian and historian, acquitted of heresy charges in 1927, elected Moderator 1951
- Dr Ray Davey, founder of the Corrymeela Community
- Dr John Dunlop, CBE, former Moderator (1992), a leading participant in Northern Ireland's civic life
- Rev Hugh Hanna, evangelist, Orangeman and Unionist
- Rev James Alexander Hamilton Irwin, Presbyterian Home Ruler who converted to the republican cause post-1916. Appointed to the Fianna Fáil led government’s Commission on Vocational Organisation from 1939–43 and later joined the party and served on the Fianna Fáil national executive from 1945 until his death. Offered the opportunity to stand for the Presidency of the Irish Free State but declined to do so.
- Rev. Prof. Matthew Leitch. D.D., President of Assembly's College Belfast, 1841-1922
- Francis Makemie, Irish Presbyterian immigrant to America; moderator of the first Presbytery in America
- Rev. Dr. John Morrow, co-founder of the Corrymeela Community
- Dr Trevor Morrow, Presbyterian minister of Lucan Presbyterian Church in Dublin, former Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland.
- Dr Ruth Patterson, first woman to be ordained to the ministry of the Irish Presbyterian Church
- Elliott Robert Barkan. Making it in America: A Sourcebook on Eminent Ethnic Americans. p. 214.