List of Japanese trainer aircraft during World War II
|This article does not cite any sources. (November 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This is a List of trainer aircraft (練習機 Renshuu-ki - Trainer) the Japanese used during World War II. Names in quotes are Allied code names for clarity for English speakers and do not reflect the Japanese usage.
- Tachikawa Ki-24 Basic training glider
- Kokusai Ki-86/K9W1 "Cypress" (Bücker Bü 131 built under license)
- Tachikawa Ki-9 "Spruce"
- Tachikawa Ki-17 "Cedar"
- Kawanishi K8K Navy Type 0 Primary Trainer Seaplane
- Mitsubishi K3M Navy Type 90 "Pine" also used by Army as Ki-7
- Yokosuka K5Y Navy Type 93 "Willow"
- Tokyo Koku Ki-107
- Mansyu Ki-79 (1 or 2 seat version of Ki-27 fighter modified for training)
- Tachikawa Ki-55 "Ida" (Version of Ki-36 "Ida" modified for training)
- Tachikawa Ki-54 (Model b) "Hickory" (modified for training)
- Nakajima Ki-34 "Thora" (advanced flying and paratroop trainer)
- Kyushu K10W1 Oak Intermediate/Advanced Trainer and Target tug
- Mitsubishi K7M Multi-engine trainer
- Kyushu K11W Shiragiku Navy Operations Trainer
- Mitsubishi A5M A5M2-K "Claude" (2 seat version of fighter)
- Mitsubishi A6M Zero A6M5-K "Zero" (2 seat version of fighter)
- Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan Land based trainer version of Aichi M6A Seiran floatplane.
Combat Aircraft used as Trainers
Many of these were either obsolete types used as trainers, or for crew familiarization similar in concept to the British use of OTU/OCU units and are not strictly trainers.
- Nakajima Type 91 (NC)
- Kawasaki Ki-10 "Perry"
- Nakajima Ki-27 "Nate"
- Nakajima Ki-43 "Oscar"
- Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki "Tojo"
- Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate "Frank"
- Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien "Tony"
- Kawasaki Ki-100 Goshikisen
- Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu "Nick" (Heavy Fighter)
- Yokoi (Ku) Ki-13 Shusui (Rocket/Jet)
Light bomber trainers
- Kawasaki Type 88 (KDA-2)
- Kawasaki Ki-3
- Nakajima Ki-4
- Mitsubishi Ki-30 "Ann"
- Kawasaki Ki-32 "Mary"
- Tachikawa Ki-36 "Ida"
- Kawasaki Ki-48 "Lily"
- Mitsubishi Ki-51 "Sonia"
Twin-engined bomber trainers
- Mitsubishi Ki-1
- Mitsubishi Ki-2 "Louise"
- Mitsubishi Ki-21 "Sally"
- Nakajima Ki-49 Donryu "Helen"
- Mitsubishi Ki-67 Hiryu "Peggy"