List of Judges of the United States Tax Court
The United States Tax Court is composed of 19 members appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. Reappointment, when requested by a Tax Court judge is generally pro forma regardless of the political party of the appointing President and the political party of the re-appointing (sitting) President. By statute, Congress has granted to the President the power to remove the judges of the U.S. Tax Court "for inefficiency, neglect of duty, or malfeasance in office...." 
The 19-member court currently has two vacancies.
- On June 16, 2014, Diane Kroupa retired from the Tax Court. On August 3, 2017 President Trump nominated Patrick Urda to fill this vacancy.
- On October 16. 2015 James Halpern retired from the Tax Court. On August 3, 2017 President Trump nominated Elizabeth Copeland to fill this vacancy.
Appointed by the President of the United States.
- L. Paige Marvel, Chief Judge (1998–2013, 2014–)
- Tamara W. Ashford (2014–)
- Ronald Lee Buch (2013–)
- Maurice B. Foley (1995–)
- Joseph H. Gale (1996–)
- Joseph Robert Goeke (2003–)
- David Gustafson (2008–)
- Mark V. Holmes (2003–)
- Kathleen Kerrigan (2012–)
- Albert G. Lauber (2013–)
- Richard T. Morrison (2007–)
- Joseph W. Nega (2013–)
- Elizabeth Crewson Paris (2008–)
- Cary Douglas Pugh (2014–)
- Michael B. Thornton (1998–)
- Juan F. Vasquez (1995–)
Appointed by the President of the United States; terms of senior service are in italics.
- Carolyn Chiechi (1992–2007, 2007–)
- Mary Ann Cohen (1982–2012, 2012–)
- John O. Colvin (1988–2016, 2016–)
- Joel Gerber (1984–2006, 2006–)
- James Halpern (1990–2015, 2015–)
- Julian Jacobs (1984–1999, 1999–)
- David Laro (1992–2007, 2007–)
- Robert Ruwe (1987–2002, 2002–)
- Stephen Swift (1983–1998, 1998–2000, 2000–2008, 2008–)
- Thomas B. Wells (1986–2001, 2001–2011, 2011–)
- Laurence Whalen (1987–2002, 2002–)
- Robert A. Wherry Jr. (2003–2014, 2014–)
Special Trial Judges
Appointed by the Chief Judge of the Tax Court.
|Arnold, William W.William W. Arnold||1935||1950|
|Arundell, C. RogersC. Rogers Arundell||1925||1969|
|Beghe, RenatoRenato Beghe||1999||2003||2012|
|Black, EugeneEugene Black||1929||1966|
|Clapp, CharlesCharles Clapp||1983||1998|
|Howard A. Dawson, Jr.||1962||1985||2016|
|Disney, Richard L.Richard L. Disney||1951|
|Drennen, William MillerWilliam Miller Drennen||1958||1972|
|Fay, William M.William M. Fay||1961||2000|
|Forrester, Bruce M.Bruce M. Forrester||1957||1978|
|Harron, Marion JanetMarion Janet Harron||1936||1970|
|Hill, Samuel B.Samuel B. Hill||1936||1953|
|Irwin, Leo H.Leo H. Irwin||1968|
|Ivins, James S.Y.James S.Y. Ivins||1924|
|Johnson, Luther AlexanderLuther Alexander Johnson||1946||1956|
|Kern, Jr., John W.John W. Kern, Jr.||1937||1961||1971|
|III, Jules G. KörnerJules G. Körner III||1981||1997|
|Kroupa, DianeDiane Kroupa||2003||2014|
|Leech, James RussellJames Russell Leech||1932||1952|
|Mellott, Arthur JohnsonArthur Johnson Mellott||1935||1945|
|Murdock, J. EdgarJ. Edgar Murdock||1926||1968|
|Arthur L. Nims, III||1979||1992|
|Opper, Clarence V.Clarence V. Opper||1938||1965|
|Carolyn Miller Parr||1985||2002|
|Phillips, Percy W.Percy W. Phillips||1924|
|Quealy, William H.William H. Quealy||1969||1980|
|Raum, ArnoldArnold Raum||1950||1978||1998|
|Rice, Stephen E.Stephen E. Rice||1952||1958|
|Shields, PerryPerry Shields||1982||1994|
|Simpson, Charles R.Charles R. Simpson||1965||1987|
|Smith, Charles P.Charles P. Smith||1946|
|Sternhagen, John M.John M. Sternhagen||1924||1945|
|Tannenwald, Jr., TheodoreTheodore Tannenwald, Jr.||1965||1983||1999|
|Turner, Bolon B.Bolon B. Turner||1968|
|Tyson, John A.John A. Tyson||1950|
|Van Fossan, Ernest H.Ernest H. Van Fossan||1926||1961|
|Wiles, Darrell D.Darrell D. Wiles||1972||1987|
|B. John Williams||1985||1990|
|Wright, Lawrence A.Lawrence A. Wright||1984||1996|
Special Trial Judges
- D. Irvin Couvillion (special trial judge, 1985–)
- Carleton D. Powell (special trial judge, 1985–2007)
- John J. Pajak (special trial judge, 1979–)
- Norman H. Wolfe (special trial judge, 1985–)
- Daniel J. Dinan (special trial judge, 1991–)
- John F. Dean (special trial judge, 1994–2014)
- See generally 26 U.S.C. § 7443(a) and (b).
- I.R.C. 7447(b)(3)).
- See 26 U.S.C. § 7443(f).
- The Tax Court of the United States, United States Government Manual", Division of Public Inquiries, Office of War Information (1945).
- "Newest Judge To Sit In Tax Court Here", The Milwaukee Journal (February 4, 1968).
- "Report of the United States Board of Tax Appeals, Volume 1, p. 3 (Government Printing Office, 1926)"
- Luther Johnson Congressional Biography].
- James Russell Leech Congressional Biography].