List of Keys to the City in the United States
This is a list of Keys to the City awarded in the United States.
- 1 Alabama
- 2 Alaska
- 3 California
- 4 Connecticut
- 5 District of Columbia
- 6 Florida
- 7 Georgia
- 8 Hawaii
- 9 Illinois
- 10 Indiana
- 11 Iowa
- 12 Kentucky
- 13 Louisiana
- 14 Maine
- 15 Maryland
- 16 Massachusetts
- 17 Michigan
- 18 Nevada
- 19 New Jersey
- 20 New York
- 21 North Carolina
- 22 Ohio
- 23 Oklahoma
- 24 South Carolina
- 25 Tennessee
- 26 Texas
- 27 Utah
- 28 Virginia
- 29 Washington
- 30 Wisconsin
- 31 References
- July 12, 2013: Jase Robertson, star of reality TV series Duck Dynasty 
- June 28, 2015: Microwave Dave (Gallaher) - North Alabama musician and music educator,
- July 12, 2016: Jaquiski Tartt, an NFL player for the San Francisco 49ers. Camp for little kids.
- September 20, 2017: Nicolas Cage
- September 22, 2011: Landon Swank, illusionist 
- September 2, 2010: The Kardashian-Jenner family and Larry King were awarded the key to the city of Beverly Hills, the award date falling (by design) on a day designated by the City's famous zip code, 90210.
- March 12, 2010: Scarlett's Magic, a Savannah cat owned by the Draper family (Leon S. Draper, Kimberly Saunders, Martin "Marty" Draper and Matthew "Matteo" Draper) was awarded the key to the city of Corona for being recognized in the 2011 Guinness Book of World Records as the World's Tallest Cat, measuring 45.9 centimeters (18.1 inches) from shoulder to toe.
- After winning the 1994 U.S Amateur Title, Tiger Woods was presented the key to the city of Cypress, his hometown. The ceremony took place at Cypress Golf Club.
- After being selected on the list of 100 most influential people in Orange County, Calif for 2015, 16 year old Dan Ta was presented the key to the city of Cypress, by Mayor Mariellen Yarc at the January 20, 2016 State of the City Luncheon in front of 300 local leaders.
- January 16, 2009: Chesley B. Sullenberger III was awarded the keys to city of his hometown, Danville, for his actions in saving US Airways Flight 1549.
- On January 24, 2016, US Women's National Soccer Team star Alex Morgan was presented the key to the city of Diamond Bar, her hometown. The ceremony took place at local Pantera Park.
- 2008: Mayor Lupe Ramos Watson presented to the Order of the Eastern Star California Worthy Grand Matron the key to the City of Indio for their 100 years of service to the community through volunteerism and unwavering commitment to life, liberty and the pursuit of justice.
- 2011: Mayor Lupe Ramos Watson presents Honorary Mayor Bob Ladiin for his commitment to the City through Volunteerism, Public Safety and Senior Citizen Advocacy.
- 2013: Mayor Elaine Holmes presents to Mr Alexander Haagan III the key to the City of Indio city for his long standing support of music the arts, culture and community events at his Empire Polo Grounds in Indio.
- 2015: Mayor Lupe Ramos Watson presents to the Order of the Eastern Star California Worthy Grand Matron the key to the City of Indio for their 100 plus years of service to the community through volunteerism and unwavering commitment to life, liberty and the pursuit of justice, and for their 70-year commitment to the City's longest standing community festival the Riverside County Fair and National Date Festival.
04/30/2015: During Tuesday evening's City Council meeting, Mayor R. Rex Parris presented the Key to the City to Matt Anderson, who was recently named ‘Gateway Teacher of the Year’ by the esteemed national program ‘Project Lead the Way’ (PLTW). Mr. Anderson, a teacher at Joe Walker Middle School, teaches PLTW Gateway courses as part of the school's Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) program.
“In recognition of your remarkable dedication and enthusiasm in helping to develop our region’s STEM program, and your commitment to serving the young people of our community, we are very proud to present you with the Key to the City, acknowledging your many outstanding achievements, including now being named the Teacher of the Year,” said Mayor Parris. “We know how important the STEM program is to our community, training intelligent young man and women to become engineers, scientists and mathematicians. The young adults whose lives you’ve touched truly represent our future here in the aerospace valley. Congratulations, Matt, on this very prestigious award.”
Project Lead the Way is the nation's leader in K-12 STEM education programs. Each year, its annual California State Conference recognizes three educators throughout the state of California. The Gateway Teacher of the Year award is presented to an educator who instructs middle school students in STEM.
Anderson has been teaching at Joe Walker Middle School for more than twenty-five years. In addition to teaching, he coaches VEX Robotics and mentors Westside Union School District's other PLTW programs. His students regard him not only as a role model and inspiration, but also a mentor who helps them succeed in the world of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- 2006: Twenty-seven Victoria's Secret Angels – including Gisele Bündchen, Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Karolina Kurkova, Selita Ebanks, and Izabel Goulart – were presented with a key to Hollywood by honorary mayor Johnny Grant in honor of the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show being held in Los Angeles for the first time.
- August 7, 2009: Zooey Deschanel, Geoffrey Arend, Mark Waters and Jessica Tuchinsky, stars and producers of the 2009 film (500) Days of Summer, were awarded the key to Los Angeles for the film's inventive use of L.A. locations.
- 2012: Lil' Kim received the key to the city before a performance in front of 50,000 at a LA Pride festival, for being a champion for her LGBT fans.
- May 11, 2013: 5th Caliph of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community Mirza Masroor Ahmad was awarded the key to the city at prestigious Montage Hotel.
- September 23, 2016: Los Angeles Dodgers announcer Vin Scully was awarded the key to the city during a pregame ceremony at Dodger Stadium.
1979: Musical group The Jacksons received keys to the city of Oakland.
- 1966: Phil Givens, Mayor of Toronto.
- 11 September 2015: Spencer Stone, Alek Skarlatos and Anthony Sadler, for actions taken to stop the 2015 Thalys train attack.
- 1916: Russian-born American businessman, candy-maker and inventor Sam Born was awarded the key to city for inventing a machine that mechanically inserted sticks into lollipops. Later, he went on to found the Just Born candy company in New York.
- 1941: Hollywood actor Edward Arnold who starred in movies from the 1920s to the 1950s was awarded the key to the city on August 9, 1941 by Mayor Angelo Rossi. Arnold was the President of the Screen Actors Guild from 1940 to 1942.
- 1963 Hong Kong music Composer/Violin player 尹自重 (Che Chung Wan, Wan-Chi Chung, Zheng Zhisheng) 
- November 3, 2010: The San Francisco Giants were awarded the key to the city for winning the 2010 World Series.
- June 26, 2012: San Francisco Giants pitcher Matt Cain was given the key to the city in commemoration of the perfect game he pitched on June 13, 2012.
- September 29, 2012: Myanmar opposition leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was given the key to the city at the San Francisco Bay Area, which is home to the third-largest Burmese community in the USA.
- October 31, 2012: The San Francisco Giants were awarded the key to city of San Francisco for winning the 2012 World Series.
- May 21, 2013: Stephen Curry, basketball player.
- October 31, 2014: The San Francisco Giants were awarded the key to city of San Francisco by Mayor Ed Lee for winning the 2014 World Series.
- October 14, 2015: The Golden State Warriors were awarded the key to city of San Francisco by Mayor Ed Lee for winning the 2015 NBA Championship.
- May 2, 2011: Michael Wilson, Artistic Director, Hartford Stage Company 
- August 10, 2013: Christopher Martin, Jamaican Singer/Songwriter 
- February 15, 2014: John Leguizamo, Comedian and Actor 
- June 10, 2014: Darko Tresnjak, Artistic Director, Recipient of the 2014 Tony Award 
- May 29, 2009: Joseph W. Waz, Jr., business executive and native son
District of Columbia
- 2008: Alexander Ovechkin received the key of the city in honour of being the first player in NHL history to receive the most valuable player, outstanding player, top scorer, and goal scoring leader awards in the same season.
- 2011: Lamont Peterson, American Boxer 
- 2011: Raheem DeVaughn, American Singer
- 2016: Bryce Harper, Professional Baseball player
Middle to late 1960s Belinda Yvonne Ferrell received the Key to Washington DC by then Mayor Walter E. Washington (the first mayor of the nation's capitol).
- December 13, 2015: Jessica Lynch, Prisoner of War, Private First Class (2001 - 2003), was honored and presented with the key to the city of Cape Coral, Florida by Mayor Marni Sawicki at a private dinner held at the Southwest Florida Military Museum & Library with both special and surprise guests in attendance. This was a private event closed to both the public and media.
- Phil Givens
- George Hill 
- 17 January 2012: Frank Crum 
- 30 October 2013: Robert Engelman, Film Producer for Alcon Entertainment 
- December 11, 2015: Jessica Lynch, Prisoner of War, Private First Class (2001 - 2003), was honored and presented with the key to the city of Fort Myers, Florida by Mayor Randy Henderson in a ceremony held at Centennial Park. Fort Myers police and firefighters also attended and made presentations of their own to her. This was a public event open to both the public and media.
- December 20, 1955: Ethel Waters, singer and actress, was presented with the key to the city on the set of Carib Gold, a film in which she starred.
- December 28, 1955: Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States, received the key to the city during a 12-day vacation in Key West.
- May 22, 1956: Estes Kefauver, U.S. Senator, was given the key to the city while campaigning to be nominated the Democratic presidential candidate.
- February 23, 1957: Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the United States, received the key to the city and was made honorary chairman of the board of county commissioners.
- July 14, 2004: Rosie O'Donnell, comedian and LGBT rights activist, was given the key to the city during the inaugural voyage of her cruise line, R Family Vacations.
- February 11, 1976: John McKay received the key to the city upon his appointment as head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- 1981: Musical group The Jacksons received keys to the city of Miami.
- 2004: The mayors of Miami-Dade County and the city officially welcomed Shaquille O'Neal and presented him with the keys to the city before a press conference was held in the American Airlines Arena.
- August 9, 2004: Rap Superstar Lil' Kim was awarded the key to the city of Miami (her place of residence at the time) for her contributions to the world of Hip Hop.
- August 19, 2009: Miami Commissioner Thomas Regalado presented Armando Perez (aka Pitbull) with the key to the city during a morning ceremony.
- April 13, 2013: Mayor Matti Bower presented the Key to pop singer Adam Lambert for "being brave enough to be openly gay on American Idol."
- July 8, 2013: María Corina Machado, Venezuelan opposition leader 
- August 20, 2013: José Sulaimán, president of the World Boxing Council 
- September 15, 2013: Henrique Capriles Radonski, Venezuelan opposition leader 
- October 29, 2018: Trevor Noah receives key to city and official city proclamation declaring October 29, 2018 Trevor Noah Day.
- November 19, 2012: Kim and Kourtney Kardashian, socialites, businesswomen, and models 
- June 11, 2013: Gregory Toussaint, Pastor 
- 2 March 2007: John Travolta, American Actor
- 2 March 2007: Kelly Preston, American Actress
- 2017: A Day to Remember
- 15 November 2016: Addison Russell, Professional Baseball Player for the World Series Champion Chicago Cubs.
- 1972: Phil Givens
- January 28, 2003: Jon Gruden, head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, received the key to the city following the Buccaneers' Super Bowl XXXVII victory.
- 2007: The Governor of Georgia, Sonny Perdue, received the key to the city of Franklin Springs after visiting the city and cutting the ribbon to the city's new Public Safety and City Hall buildings; the original buildings were destroyed in 2004 by Hurricane Ivan.
- 2007: The original Governor's Commission for the City of Milton (Ron Wallace, Brandon Beach, Gregory Mishkin, Dan Phalan and Cecil Pruitt) was awarded the key to the city of Milton in recognition of their work in the creation of the city. They were also presented a proclamation that officially declares December 1 as "Commissioning Day" in honor of their achievements and recognizes the five men as the "Founding Fathers" of the City.
- December 30, 1871: Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich of Russia received the "Freedom of the City of Chicago".
- June 26, 1933: Residents of the Midget Village at the Century of Progress World's Fair were presented with a key to the City of Chicago by Mayor Edward Joseph Kelly.
- August 17, 1970: As part of Chicago's Lakefront Festival, Mayor Richard J. Daley awarded a key to the City of Chicago to Edward Stein, who had emerged from the Chicago River dressed as Neptune to lead a parade.
- May 1985: Jean McFadden, leader of the Glasgow District Council was presented a key to the City of Chicago by Joel Hall as part of Glasgow's Mayfest 
- April 21, 1988: Michael Jackson was awarded the Key to the City by Eugene Sawyer.
- March 20, 1990: Audrey Hepburn was presented with a key to the City of Chicago by Mayor Richard M. Daley.
- October 12, 1990: Sophia Loren was presented with a key to the City of Chicago by Mayor Richard M. Daley.
- 1996: The famous Lebanese Arab singer Najwa Karam was presented with the Key to the City of Chicago.
- July 11, 2011: Shawn Marion, basketball player with the Dallas Mavericks, was awarded the key to the city following the Mavericks' victory at the 2011 NBA Finals.
- March 11, 2015: Mayor J. Michael Houston awarded the Key to the City to Cobra Commander from G.I. Joe in honor of the G.I. JoeCon convention taking place the following month.
- June 22, 2018: Village President Frank DeSimone, Village Manager Evan K. Summers, and Chief of Police Frank Kosman, presented Keys to the Village to Cónsul General Billy Adolfo José Muñoz Miranda and Vice Cónsul Brenda Paz de Ghassemi from the Consulate General of Guatemala.
2003: Artist Michael Jackson received keys to the city of Gary from Mayor Scott King.
- July 17, 2015: Reggie Wayne, wide receiver for the Indianapolis Colts NFL football team receives a key to the city of Indianapolis 
- August 26, 2004: Dionne Warwick, singer, received the key to the city prior to her appearance at an Athena Cage concert.
- 1975: Helen Humes, musician, received the key to the city for her extensive musical career.
- Frederick Cease, soldier, received the key to the city at some point in the 1990s for his extensive military service.
- July, 2000: Nancy Johnson Barker, singer, received the key to the city after the 25th anniversary of the Kentucky Music Weekend Festival.
- 2002: Ivor Chodkowski, farmer, received the key to the city for working to start a farmer's market in Louisville's "food desert."
- September 24, 2002: Montgomery Gentry, musician, received the key to the city for his musical career.
- January 2010: Sam Leist, lawyer, received the key to the city for his career in public service.
- March 12, 2016: Bryson Tiller, singer, received the key to the city by the city's mayor, Greg Fischer, as well as a holiday on March 12, called "Bryson Tiller Day." This all occurred at his T R A P S O U L concert.
- April 5, 2016: Awadeya Mahmoud, human rights worker, received the key to the city by Greg Fischer, upon her receiving the International Women of Courage Award.
- June 29, 2016: John Rabun, social worker, received the key to the city by Greg Fischer, for his work as the head of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
- January 10, 2017: Bob Beatty, American football Coach, received the key to the city by Greg Fischer, after winning Trinity High School's 24th state football title.
This post has been reported to the United States Attorneys Office.
- November 21, 2006: Kentucky-New Orleans Architecture Studio was awarded the key to the city of New Orleans for its work on restoration and re-design efforts of Mickey Markey Park in Bywater.
- April 26, 2007: The Harris County Hospital District was awarded the key to the city in recognition of its efforts to provide health care to Hurricane Katrina evacuees at its Astrodome Clinic in September 2005.
- June 2008: Atlanta native, R&B Singer Usher awarded the key to the city for his effort and dedication to help rebuild New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
- September 25, 2011: Former New Orleans Saints safety Steve Gleason was granted the key to the city for his blocked punt against the Atlanta Falcons in the Saints' first home game after Hurricane Katrina.
- September 17, 2018: August 21, 2018: Beyoncé and Jay-Z received the key to the city for their philanthropy work and impact on popular culture.
- July 13, 2008: moe., a band from upstate New York, was presented the key to the city in recognition of a two-day fundraising concert they organised for the Preble Street Resource Center.
- June 13, 2014: Evander Holyfield, American Boxer 
September 10, 2012: Keys to the city were awarded to eight athletes who competed in the 2012 Summer Olympics: swimmers Michael Phelps(Key revoked 2014) and Katie Ledecky, rower David Banks, windsurfer Farrah Hall, cyclist Bobby Lea, field hockey player Katie O'Donnell, kayaker Scott Parsons, and modern pentathlete Suzanne Stettinius.
- September 29, 1980: Boxer Marvin Hagler was crowned World Middleweight Champion of September 27, and received the key to the city on his return to his hometown.
- July 21, 1909: Mayor Nathan P. Avery awarded Joseph Lewis Wyckoff the Key to the City, "through whose militant energy the boundaries of their city were so extended by the Legislature of 1909 as to include within them not only himself but the whole of the ancient hamlet known as Smith's Ferry."
- April 27, 2018: Mayor Alex B. Morse presented Carmen Yulín Cruz the Key to the City to honor that "in such a time of despair [she] provided a beacon of hope and opportunity for Puerto Ricans".
- July 8, 2017: Mayor of Worcester Joseph Petty presented Shatta Wale with the key to the City, in recognition of his contributions to the arts and for honoring the city of Worcester, Massachusetts with his presence."
- 1960s: Ann Landers received the key to the city of Albion upon her visit to Starr Commonwealth for Boys.
- Annually: Santa Claus is presented with the Key to the City during each America's Thanksgiving Parade.
- September 26, 1974: Stevie Wonder, renowned Motown recording artist was awarded a key to the city by then Mayor Coleman Young.
- 1980: Saddam Hussein, Iraqi President at that time, was awarded the key to the city by Mayor Coleman Young, for having donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to a local church.
- January 31, 2006: Detroit native Jerome Bettis was awarded the key to the city by Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick days before his Super Bowl win.
- January 2, 2007: Steve Yzerman received the key to the city after his retirement and having his jersey retired.
- January 27, 2010: Elmo received the key to the city from Mayor David Bing during a visit with kids at Children's Hospital of Michigan.
- April 1, 2017: Big Sean received the key to the city from Mayor Mike Duggan for setting up a foundation called "Mogul Prep" that teaches kids all the behind the scenes jobs available in the music industry.
June, 2018: Jackson 5 members, Michael, Tito, Jackie, Jermaine & Marlon were honored with keys to the city at the Detroit Weekend Music Festival.
- 1989: Lois M. Craig received the key to the city of Flint.
- June 10, 2007: American Idol finalist LaKisha Jones received a proclamation and key to the city from Mayor Don Williamson.
Sault Sainte Marie
- 1999: Lebanese recording artist Fairuz received the key to the city of Las Vegas 
- 2003: Artist Michael Jackson received keys to the city of Las Vegas from Mayor Oscar Goodman.
- 2012: Lebanese recording artist Nancy Ajram received the key to the city of Las Vegas.
- 2014: On November 5, American singer Britney Spears was honored, and received the key to the city of Las Vegas.
- 2015: professional baseball players Bryce Harper and Kris Bryant received keys to the city of Las Vegas
- 2016: Professional DJ, record producer, radio personality, and record label executive DJ Khaled received keys to the city of Las Vegas
- 2016: Property Brothers, Jonathan and Drew Scott earn receive keys to the city of Las Vegas after their contributions towards charity
- 2017: On September 3, Ultralight Team members and creators of Bats & Butterflies LV, Anthony C. Flores and Isaiah J. LaBelle received keys to the city of Las Vegas
- 2018: On July 6, UFC president Dana White received keys to the city of Las Vegas 
- October 30, 1947: Frank Sinatra, American Singer and Actor.
- July 6, 1998: Aaron Rosa, drummer of the rock band Palisades.
- March 17, 1961: Brendan Behan, Irish playwright and author, received the keys to Jersey City from Mayor Charles Witkowski.
- 2016: Professor Don Jacob, Martial Artist, Grandmaster
- April 15, 2012: Victor Cruz (American football) of the New York Giants was awarded the key to the city of Paterson for his role in the Super Bowl XLVI victory over the New England Patriots.
- August 28, 2015: Rapper Fetty Wap was given the key to the city of his hometown Paterson, New Jersey by Mayor Jose "Joey" Torres.
- June 1, 2018: US Senator Cory Booker was given the key to the city of Paterson by Mayor Jane Williams-Warren for his service to the state of New Jersey.
- May 19, 2009: Terrell Owens received the key to the city of Buffalo with the provisions that he catch a minimum of 10 touchdown passes for the Buffalo Bills and lead the team into the NFL Playoffs. He only caught five touchdowns, the Bills failed to make the playoffs, and Owens was released at the end of the 2009 season.
- November 6, 2014: Terrence Pegula received the key to the city of Buffalo, as a result of his purchase of the Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Bandits professional sports teams and his construction of the HarborCenter complex.
- John J. McGrath, American Businessman.
- June 27, 1702: Viscount Cornbury was presented the "Freedom of the City".
- September 1735: Andrew Hamilton received the "Freedom of the City" for his defence of John Peter Zenger.[self-published source]
- February 25, 1902: Prince Henry of Prussia was presented the Freedom of the City during a visit to New York.
- 1927: The aviator Charles Lindbergh was awarded the key to the city following his record-breaking non-stop flight from New York to Paris.
- 1972: Musical group The Jackson 5 received keys to the city of New York from Deputy Mayor Edward Hamilton.
- February 5, 2008: The New York Giants players, coaches and owners received keys to the city in recognition of their victory at Super Bowl XLII. Presentation took place at City Hall after a ticker-tape parade up the Canyon of Heroes in lower Manhattan.
- February 9, 2009: Chesley B. Sullenberger III received the key to the city for safely landing US Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River after mid-air faults from a bird collision, saving the lives of all 155 people on board. The First Officer of the Flight, Jeffrey B. Skiles, and flight attendants Sheila Dail, Doreen Welsh and Donna Dent also received keys to the city.
- May 8, 2009: Captain Richard Phillips and crewman William Rios received keys to the city in recognition of their heroism aboard the Maersk Alabama during the 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates.
- November 6, 2009: The New York Yankees players, coaches and owners received keys to the city in recognition of their 2009 World Series victory.
- October 14, 2010: Ralph Lauren received a key for his philanthropic and economic contributions to the city.
- November 18, 2011: Regis Philbin received a key to the city to honor his twenty-eight year contribution to New York media.
- February 7, 2012: The New York Giants players, coaches and owners received keys to the city in recognition of their victory at Super Bowl XLVI. Presentation took place at City Hall after a ticker-tape parade up the Canyon of Heroes in lower Manhattan.
- July 10, 2015: The United States Women's National Soccer Team players and coaches received keys to the city in recognition of their 2015 Women's World Cup victory. The parade was organized on short notice and was the first ticker-tape parade in New York City to honor female athletes since Olympic Athletes in 1984.
- January 9, 2016: Ray Pfeifer FDNY Firefighter receives the Key to the City of New York for his work to help secure health care for over 80,000 9/11/01 first responders. The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act was signed into law on December 18, 2015
- March 2, 2016: Rapper Foxy Brown was honored by Mayor Bill de Blasio and awarded the Key to the City.
- June 12, 2017: Rapper Fabolous was awarded the Key to the City of New York during a concert in Brooklyn's Barclays Center.
- June 3, 2013: The Rochester Knighthawks, a professional lacrosse team 
- April 23, 2016: Beverly Bond, producer, writer, serial entrepreneur, philanthropist and celebrity DJ, received a key to the city for her contribution to the African American community by empowering and positively impacting the lives of young Black girls through her organization-Black Girls Rock!
- August 12, 2007: Dusan Vemic, a professional tennis player on the ATP world tour was given a key to the city in recognition of his fair play and contribution to the sport.
- June 20, 2013: Stephen King, author, was awarded the Key to the City at an advance screening of the CBS series Under the Dome, based on a novel by King.
- Billy Quick, a High Point native and a Special Olympics athlete and ambassador.
- October 13, 2017: Kathy Ireland, American model and actress, turned author and entrepreneur; received the key from High Point mayor Bill Bencini.
- May 28, 2016: Mark Mothersbaugh, artist and Devo founder, was awarded the key to the city during a ceremony at the Akron-Summit County Public Library.
- May 26, 2005: Fatty Koo, singers songwriter Music group
- May 13, 2010: Crystal Bowersox, singer-songwriter and actress, was given the key to the city after reaching the finals of American Idol.
- 2015: Cate Blanchett, Australian Actress.
- 2015: Rooney Mara, American Actress.
- 2015: Christine Vachon, American Film Producer.
- 2015: Sir Elton John CBE, British Singer.
- 2015: Lionel Richie, American Singer.
- 2015: Jennifer Hudson, American Actress and Singer.
- 2015: Carl Hilding Severinsen, American Musician and Bandleader on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
- 2015: Drew Lachey, American Singer.
- 2015: Nick Lachey, American Singer.
- 2018: Jack White, American Musician.
- 1968: B.B. King, American blues singer, guitarist, songwriter, and record producer
- Pelé, Brazilian Football Player.
- June 16, 2011:
- Betty White, Actress
- Wendie Malick, Actress
- Jane Leeves, Actress
- Valerie Bertinelli, Actress
- November 5, 2011: Aretha Franklin, American Singer.
- July 17, 2015: Mickey Bey, IBF Lightweight Boxing Champion.
- March 18, 2010: Robert Meachem, NFL Football Player.
- June 27, 2017: Iesha-LaShay Phillips received a key to the city of Tulsa, OK for addressing societal issues and trying to better her city. Mayor Bynum also declared June 27 “Iesha Phillips Day” in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- August 21, 2018: Beyoncé and Jay-Z received the key to the city of Columbia, SC for their philanthropy work and impact on popular culture. Mayor Steve Benjamin also declared August 21 "Beyoncé Knowles-Carter and Sean Carter Day" in the city.
- July 21, 1960: John T. Scopes was given the key to the city on the 35th anniversary of the Scopes Trial, in which he had been found guilty of teaching evolution in a Tennessee school.
- February 15, 2011: Grandmaster Hikaru Nakamura received the key to the city of Memphis for his supertournament victory at the 2011 Tata Steel Chess Tournament in Wijk aan Zee.
- 1952: Presidential candidate General Dwight D. Eisenhower received the key to his birthplace city from Mayor Alfred Cecil "Mike" Casey.
- September 13, 2018: Recording R&B artist and El Pasoan Khalid earned the key to El Paso, Texas from Mayor Donald “Dee” Margo.
Missouri City, TX
- March 2, 2015 Johnnie Moutra III (Johnny Long), nationally known for co-hosting Jimmy Kimmel Live at his home & winning the grand prize on ABC's hit reality TV show "Here Come The Newlyweds," was awarded key to the city by Mayor Allen Owen for the national recognition he continues to bring to the city.
- February 10, 2018: Missouri City native rapper Travis Scott was awarded the key by Mayor Allen Owen as a part of the city's annual Black History Month Celebration of Culture and Music.
- December 13, 2009: M. K. Asante was awarded the key to the city of Dallas by Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway for his work as an author, filmmaker, and professor.
- February 6, 2011: Michael Vick, quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles, was awarded the key to the city of Dallas by Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway; this proved controversial, as Vick had previously served time in prison for his involvement with an illegal dog-fighting ring.
- 1990: Maria de Guadalupe Butron Pereda, M.D., professor at the Universidad Veracruzana of Mexico, was awarded the key to the city of Houston for her humanitarian work.
- 2000: Pramukh Swami Maharaj 5th Spiritual leader of BAPS.
- Selena Quintanilla was awarded the Key to the city of Houston on April 16, 1994. This was her 23rd Birthday, less than a year before her untimely death.
- Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin has been awarded the Key of Houston.
- February 15, 2013: Yao Ming was awarded the key to the city of Houston.
- October 23, 2015: Mufaddal Saifuddin has been awarded the Key of Houston by Mayor Annise Parker.
- March 23, 2016: Marvin Odum, retiring President of Shell Oil Company, was awarded the keys to the city by Mayor Sylvester Turner. Odum was a true philanthropist and man of the people, steering the ship through the treacherous waters of $100+ oil.
- September 21, 2017: DeAndre Watley, a Houston, Texas born native and resident of Austin, Texas, was awarded the keys to the city by Mayor Sylvester Turner for his great humanitarian work. He is currently a student at Texas State University of San Marcos, Texas that offered free therapy session for families after the wake of Hurricane Harvey which caused the city devastation. He help families learn cooping strategies and ways they can effectively build others up who are in less fortunate situations in life. He assisted over 120 families, met with them in various locations across the city, often renting out conference rooms and office spaces for a period of time to provide an air conditioned environments to provide services that will impact the community at high levels.
- July 19, 2013: Mike and Bob Bryan, twin brothers and professional tennis players 
- August 20, 2017: Mahant Swami Maharaj, Hindu swami and 6th Spiritual leader of BAPS.
West Valley City
- May 31, 2017: Lincoln and Dan Markham, YouTube stars
- June 9, 1948: Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the United States, stopped at Spokane while campaigning for re-election, and was given the key to the city.
- 1980: Ted Nugent, Rock musician, stopped in Spokane during a concert tour, and was given the key to the city by then-mayor Ron Bair.
- August 10, 2016: Rock band Kiss played at the Resch Center on the Freedom to Rock Tour. During the encore, they were presented the key to the city by Mayor Jim Schmitt.
- Kazek, Kelly (July 13, 2013). "A little bit rock-n-roll during Huntsville visit, Duck Dynasty's Jase Robertson talks God, beards, hunting". AL.com. Archived from the original on October 12, 2013.
- Schultz, Eric (June 19, 2015). "A First Microwave Dave Day sells out, Dave Gallaher gets key to city, fans get the Blues". AL.com.
- Matthews, Michelle (September 20, 2017). "Nicolas Cage receives key to city of Mobile; 'happy to be here'". Al.com. Retrieved October 13, 2018.
- Clarke, Suzan (August 1, 2012). "Rapper Pitbull Visits Kodiak, Alaska, and Gets Bear Repellent". Good Morning America. ABC News. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- Garcia, Jennifer (August 26, 2010). "The Kardashians conquer Beverly Hills". People. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "Kendrick Lamar to Receive Key to Compton". Rolling Stone. January 14, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- McShane, Larry (February 9, 2009). "Hero pilot Chesley (Sully) Sullenberger and crew of Flight 1549 get keys to New York City". Daily News. New York.
- "Photos From Zooey Deschanel's Key Ceremony Today!". FOX Searchlight. August 7, 2009. Archived from the original on February 10, 2010.
- "Lil Kim GLAMS IT UP for LA Pride!". theybf.
- "Head of Ahmadiyya Muslim Jamaat delivers Historic Address in Southern California". alislam.org. May 12, 2013.
- "About Me - NathanWan.com". NathanWan.com. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- "Thousands cheer on Giants at San Francisco parade". U-T San Diego. November 3, 2010.
- "Mayor Lee presents Matt Cain with a Key to the City". SFGTV. YouTube.
- Gulezian, Lisa Amin (September 29, 2012). "Mayor gives Burmese opposition leader key to city". ABC.
- Jeong, Michael (November 1, 2012). "SF Giants World Series 2012 Victory Parade Photo Highlights". AsianWeek. Archived from the original on November 4, 2012.
- "Warriors Honored By San Francisco Mayor, Curry Given Key To City". CBS. May 21, 2013. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013.
- http://blogs.courant.com/curtain/2011/05/michael-wilson-gets-key-to-cit.html[permanent dead link]
- Storace, Robert (August 3, 2013). "Polish ambassador to U.S. tours Broad Street, given key to the city". New Britain Herald. Archived from the original on October 12, 2013.
- "Ovechkin Locks Up Another Honor: Key to City". The Washington Post. June 14, 2008. Retrieved June 24, 2011.
- "Jessica Lynch shares her story in Cape Coral". Fox 4 News -- Cape Coral, Florida. December 13, 2015.
- "Venezuelan Opp Leader Given Keys To The City". CBS Miami. September 15, 2013. Archived from the original on October 12, 2013.
- Dolac, Katie (July 18, 2013). "Country Music Star Gets Key to City of Dunedin". Patch.
- "Former POW Jessica Lynch honored in Fort Myers". NBC-2 -- Fort Myers, Florida. December 11, 2015.
- "Fla. Mayor gives Ethel Waters key to city". The Afro American. December 24, 1955. p. 7.
- "Ike Arrives For Rest In Key West Sun". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. December 29, 1955. p. 4.
- "Kefauver Urges Liberal Social Security Benefits". St. Petersburg Times. May 23, 1956. p. 9.
- "Key West Turns Out To Welcome Harry Truman". Ocala Star-Banner. February 24, 1957. p. 20.
- "Rosie's cruise line gets Key West welcome". USA Today. July 12, 2004. Archived from the original on September 5, 2013.
- "Mackay A Big Hit With Local Audience". The Lakeland Ledger. February 12, 1976. p. 1B.
- "Diesel-Powered Promise". NBA. July 21, 2004. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- "Lil Kim gets key to Miami". Chicago Tribune. August 10, 2004. Retrieved November 8, 2016.
- Stewart, Justin T. (August 20, 2009). "Pitbull Receives The Keys To The City Of Miami". HipHopWired. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Armario, Christine (July 9, 2013). "Venezuelans in Miami Honor Opposition Lawmaker". NBC. Archived from the original on October 12, 2013.
- Tsatas, Thomas (August 21, 2013). "Don King and Fres Oquendo Congratulate WBC President Sulaiman during Key to the City of Miami Ceremony". East Side Boxing. Archived from the original on October 12, 2013.
- North Miami keeps up with the Kardashians
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-03-05. Retrieved 2016-02-28.
- Adelson, Andrea (January 9, 2018). "The national championship celebration before the title game". ESPN.com. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- Thornburg, Jan (September 12, 2013). "Diana Ross Receives Key to the City". Patch.
- "Sports Items: Tampa Celebration Continues". The Item. January 29, 2003. p. 5B.
- "Chicago – The Grand Duke and New Year's Day" (PDF). The New York Times. January 1, 1872.
- Chicago Tribune. June 27, 1933. Missing or empty
- Chicago Tribune. August 18, 1970. Missing or empty
- Chicago Tribune. May 18, 1985. Missing or empty
- Chicago Tribune. April 22, 1988. Missing or empty
- Chicago Tribune. March 16, 1990. Missing or empty
- Chicago Tribune. October 12, 1990. Missing or empty
- "Awards" Archived 2014-07-28 at the Wayback Machine.. Najwa Karam official website. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "North Chicago to host celebratory rally on July 11 for Shawn Marion". The Dallas Morning News. July 1, 2011.
- "BREAKING – Cobra Commander receives the key to the city of Springfield…". Generals Joes. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Village of Bensenville Representatives Present Guatemala Consul General with Key to the Village". Village of Bensenville. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- Craig, Courtney (August 27, 2004). "Warwick gets pre-concert key to city". Park City Daily News. p. 1.
- "Boogie Woogie Time". Boogie Woogie Time. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "Frederick Cease Obituary". Anderson Funeral Home. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "Manual Alumni (A-C)". Manual High School. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "Ivor Chodkowski". Field Day Family Farm. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "Montgomery Gentry presented keys to the city of louisville and dubbed honorary citizen". PRNewsWire. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "Info on Sam Leist". Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "Bryson Tiller Gets Key To City & His Own Holiday During Louisville Show". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "Awedeya Mahmoud Awarded the Key to the City of Louisville". Louisville Metro Government. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "John Rabun recognized".
- Najjar, Paul (10 January 2017). "Trinity Celebrates Title No. 24". Catholic Sports Net. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "Architecture Studio Receives Key to City of New Orleans". University of Kentucky News. November 21, 2006. Archived from the original on July 14, 2012. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "HCHD Receives Key to the City of New Orleans". Harris County Hospital District. April 26, 2007. Archived from the original on December 4, 2007.
- Martel, Brett (September 27, 2011). "Saints present Gleason with Super Bowl ring". The Seattle Times.
- "moe. Receives the Key to Portland, ME". jambands.com. July 25, 2008. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Marbella, Jean (September 10, 2012). "Phelps, Maryland's Olympians welcomed home". The Baltimore Sun.
- "The Champ Returns". Nashua Telegraph. September 30, 1980. p. 21.
- DiCarlo, Ella Merkel (1982). Holyoke–Chicopee, a Perspective; 1882-1982. Transcript-Telegram Co. pp. 238–239. OCLC 9299261.
- Alex B. Morse, Carmen Yulín Cruz (28 April 2018). Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz Receives the Key to the City. Holyoke Media – via Youtube.
- "Shatta Wale receives key to City of Worcester in US". GhanaWeb. 9 Jul 2017.
- "The Key To The City". The Morning Star. January 7, 2007. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- . The Detroit News http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/photogalleries/newsgallery/motown-wonder_02282009/index7.htm. Retrieved April 1, 2015. Missing or empty
- "Guess Who Got The Key To Detroit?". CBS News. February 11, 2009. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- "Saddam Reportedly Given Key To Detroit". ClickOn Detroit. March 26, 2003. Archived from the original on July 19, 2011.
- "Officially, today is Jerome Bettis Day". Beaver County Times. February 1, 2006.
- Cook, Ron (March 28, 2012). "Bettis has storybook ending". Pittsburgh Post Gazette.
- "Former Wing honored for second straight home game". ESPN. January 13, 2007.
- "Elmo to receive key to city from Detroit Mayor Dave Bing". MLive.com. Retrieved 2016-11-18.
- "Nina Mills Awards 2001 — Lois M. Craig". Flint Public Library. Archived from the original on July 27, 2001.
- Williams, Corey (May 11, 2007). "LaKisha a source of pride for Flint". Grand Haven Tribune. Archived from the original on December 3, 2007.
- "Fairuz: Pre-concert documentary". fairuziat.com. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- Topalian, Nohad (May 23, 2012). "Lebanese artists prepare for a busy summer". Al-Shorfa.
- Bogdan, Jennifer (June 22, 2013). "Miss America competition hoping tourists flock to Atlantic City all year long". Press of Atlantic City. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013.
- "Brendan Behan accepts key to Jersey City from Mayor Charles..." Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- "Fetty Wap Given Keys To Paterson, New Jersey". HiphopDX. August 28, 2015. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- "Terrell Owens Given Key to the City of Buffalo". YouTube.
- Mayor to give Key to the City to Pegulas Archived 2014-11-07 at the Wayback Machine.. WKBW-TV. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- "Commission for the United Nations, Consular Corps and Protocol". NYC.gov. February 16, 2011. Archived from the original on July 22, 2011. Retrieved June 24, 2011.
- Caliendo, Ralph J. (2010). New York City Mayors, Volume 1. Xlibris Corporation. p. 82. ISBN 1450088147.[self-published source]
- "Prince Henry in AMerica". The Times (36701). London. 26 February 1902. p. 5.
- "Charles Lindbergh". Everything2.
- "'Unbelievable journey' culminates in Giant Super Bowl parade". ESPN. February 5, 2008.
- "Alabama captain, crew member honored by NYC". Navy Times. May 8, 2009. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- "Hero Sailors Get Keys, Eye Seas". New York Post. May 9, 2009. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- "Fans flood lower Manhattan for Yankees". ESPN. November 6, 2009.
- Karni, Annie (2010-10-14). "Ralph Lauren to get key to the city". New York Post. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- Oldenburg, Ann (November 18, 2011). "Regis Philbin bids a sweet farewell to TV". USA Today.
- "Super Bowl Champs NY Giants Given Key To The City". CBS New York. February 7, 2012.
- West, Melanie Grayce; King, Kate (July 10, 2015). "NYC Ticker-Tape Parade Honors U.S. Women's Soccer Team". The Wall Street Journal.
- Coffey, Lauren (July 10, 2015). "Womens's World Cup Ticker Tape Parade The First in Decades to Honor Women". NBC New York.
- Larner, Travis (June 4, 2013). "Knighthawks celebrate title". National Lacrosse League. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013.
- Buholzer, Nicolien (June 20, 2013). "King joins cast of 'Under the Dome' at local screening". Star News Online. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013.
- Hairopoulos, Kate (10 November 2001). "The Interview: Billy Quick". Greensboro. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
You've got a key to the city of High Point, which is pretty cool since you're from here and you're a former High Point Central Bison, right?
- "Meet Kathy Ireland at World's Largest Furniture Expo (High Point)". Eventbrite. 13 October 2017. Retrieved 26 October 2017.
- Garrett, Amanda (May 28, 2016). "Mark Mothersbaugh gets key to city, unlocks creative door for his hometown, Akron, to see his world". Akron Beacon Journal.
- Baird, Kirk (May 15, 2010). "Toledo area fans show Crystal Bowersox's already Idol-ized". The Blade.
- "Twitter". mobile.twitter.com. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Jenks Public Schools". m.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Day to Honor Convicted Evolutionist". The Spokesman-Review. July 21, 1960. p. 2.
- "Cowboys' Jason Witten tells crowd honoring him he'll be 'holding up that Lombardi Trophy' on snowy day in NY". SportsDayDFW. June 26, 2013. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013.
- "My Very Unusual Life". Hikaru Nakamura blog. February 16, 2011. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- "Travis Scott Receives Key to Missouri City, Texas | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2018-02-11.
- "MK Asante". The Last Magazine. April 17, 2012.
- "Dallas official gives Michael Vick key to the city, draws anger". The Dallas Morning News. February 7, 2011.
- "Pramukh Swami Maharaj honored with the Key to the City". BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha. Retrieved 2017-08-16.
- "Selena awarded key to the city of Houston". freewebs.com. April 13, 2008.
- "Yao Ming named Houston Goodwill Ambassador". CCTV.com. February 16, 2013.
- Fleck, Deborah (July 20, 2013). "Perfect night for tennis at Four Seasons in Irving". Irving Blog (Dallas Morning News, Inc). Archived from the original on October 12, 2013.
- "Mouser Congratulates Kanaan on Podium Finish at Texas Motor Speedway". BusinessWire. June 10, 2013. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013.
- Green, Mark (June 15, 2013). "Damian Lillard given key to Ogden City". Fox News. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013.
- "Hosts Of What's Inside YouTube Channel To Receive Keys To The City In Their Hometown - Tubefilter". Tubefilter. 2017-05-31. Retrieved 2017-06-03.
- Petska, Alicia (May 4, 2016). "Actor George Takei embraces Roanoke's diversity". The Roanoke Times.
- http://lineout.thestranger.com/2006/09/move_to_bremerton_we-iphone. Missing or empty
- "Thousands See, Cheer President Truman As He Pays Spokane Brief Visit". Spokane Daily Chronicle. June 9, 1948. p. 7.
- "City Welcomes, Won't Honor Rock Star". Spokane Chronicle. January 25, 1985. p. 3.
- "KISS at Resch: 10 things that went down". Green Bay Press-Gazette. August 11, 2016.