List of LGBT and LGBT-friendly fraternities and sororities
|Part of a series on|
|By country or region|
|Political party affiliates|
|Military and veterans|
This is a list of LGBT and LGBT-friendly fraternities and sororities. Such groups have existed since the 1980s, with Delta Phi Upsilon being established in 1985 and Delta Lambda Phi in 1986. They are intended to provide members with access to Greek life without fear of homophobic reprisal or behavior by fellow members, resulting from a history of homophobia within longer-established organizations. This is not an exhaustive list.
Organizations for women
- Alpha Delta Epsilon (ΑΔΕ) - local sorority at SUNY Geneseo whose membership is open to cis women, trans women, and non-binary people.
- Alpha Lambda Zeta (ΑΛΖ) - fraternity for women who identify as masculine lesbians
- Alpha Pi Delta (ΑΠΔ) - sorority for lesbian women
- Alpha Pi Phi (ΑΠΦ) - Canadian-founded international sorority whose membership is open to all self-identifying women
- Alpha Phi (ΑΦ) - An NPC social sorority open to any individual who identifies as a woman.
- Beta Phi Omega (ΒΦΩ) - sorority for feminine lgbt women; open to all feminine women regardless of orientation
- Gamma Rho Lambda (ΓΡΛ) - first LGBTQ sorority for cis women, trans women, trans men, and non-binary students of any race or sexual orientation
- Delta Phi Epsilon (ΔΦΕ) - An NPC Social sorority who allows membership to Trans Women and non-binary individuals. Currently in process of changing the language within their bylaws and constitution to no longer be Gender specific. Also allow membership to all race, religions, and sexual orientations.
- Delta Psi Eta (ΔΨΗ) - sorority for professional, feminine lesbian women
- Zeta Psi Zeta (ΖΨΖ) - sorority for feminine lesbian and bisexual women
- Eta Theta Psi (ΗΘΨ) - sorority for conscious feminine lesbian women
- Kappa Alpha Lambda (ΚΑΛ) - sorority for feminine lesbian women
- Kappa Alpha Theta (KAΘ) - open to individuals who identify as women
- Kappa Kappa Gamma (KKΓ) - open to individuals who identify as women
- Kappa Theta Epsilon (ΚΘΕ) - sorority for lesbian professionals and entrepreneurs
- Kappa Xi Omega (ΚΞΩ) - sorority for masculine and feminine black lesbians
- Lambda Delta Lambda (ΛΔΛ) - first nationally chartered sorority founded by lesbians, Alpha chapter was recognized by UCLA in early 1988. Eight founding members were Allison Adler, Kristine Burk, Marci Kaye, Debi Knight, Josee Larochelle, Julie Leverence, Canon Price and Lauren Susman.
- Lambda Xi Eta (ΛΞΗ) - sorority for feminine lesbian, bisexual, and transgender women
- Nu Tau Beta (NTB) - fraternity for lesbian women who identify as masculine of center and Transmen| |
- Omega Phi Chi (ΩΦΧ)- multicultural sorority that accepts all women regardless of race, creed, religion, and sexual orientation.
- Omicron Epsilon Pi (ΟΕΠ) - sorority for lesbians, particularly of color
- Omicron Psi Omega (ΟΨΩ) - fraternity for masculine-of-center-identified lesbian women
- Pi Kappa Psi (ΠΚΨ) - sorority for feminine and transgender women
- Phi Sigma Sigma (ΦΣΣ) - the first collegiate nonsectarian sorority to allow membership of women of all faiths and backgrounds, and although not exclusively for LGBTQ+ women, its welcoming and inclusive attitude attracts many queer women.
- Psi Lambda Theta (ΨΛΘ) - first faith based LGBTQ welcoming, multicultural multi-faith women's fraternity. All women, all faiths, all orientations welcome.
- Sigma Kappa (ΣΚ) - sorority that considers all that consistently live and identify as women.
- Sigma Omega Phi Fraternity (ΣΩΦ) - fraternity for masculine identified lesbian women
- Sigma Xi Theta Fraternity (ΣΧΘ) - fraternity of dominant lesbian women
- Theta Phi Alpha
- Tau Delta Psi (ΤΔΨ) - sorority for women who identify as lesbian, bisexual, queer women, as well as women who do not label their sexual orientation
- The Society of Femmes - private organization for multicultural lesbian, bisexual, straight, feminine women
- Chi Kappa Psi (ΧΚΨ) - fraternity for masculine-of-center-identified professional lesbian women
- Omega Rho Theta (ΩΡΘ) - fraternity for dominant lesbian women and trans men.
- Xi Theta Kappa (ΞΘΚ) sorority. Sorority for lesbian women of color. www.xithetakappa.com
- Zeta Tau Alpha (ZTA) - open to individuals who consistently live and self-identify as women
Organizations for men
Note: many national fraternities have specific provisions in their non-discrimination policies that are inclusive of LGBTQ men, but are not exclusively marketed to the gay community. Examples of such fraternities include Delta Phi Upsilon, Alpha Epsilon Pi, Alpha Sigma Phi, Alpha Phi Delta, Beta Theta Pi, Delta Chi, Delta Upsilon, Theta Delta Chi, Theta Xi, Kappa Mu Kappa, Lambda Theta Phi, Lambda Chi Alpha, Nu Delta, Pi Kappa Phi, Sigma Nu, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Phi Gamma Delta, Phi Delta Theta, Phi Kappa Theta, Phi Kappa Tau, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, Phi Mu Delta, Phi Sigma Kappa, Omega Delta Phi, Omega Delta, Zeta Alpha Delta & Nu Delta.
- Alpha Nu (ΑΝ) - the first fraternity in the Philippines for all who identify themselves as men, regardless of sexual orientation
- Delta Lambda Phi (ΔΛΦ) - fraternity for gay, bisexual, transgender and progressive men
- Kappa Psi Kappa (ΚΨΚ) - Fraternity for progressive men of all ethnic backgrounds, cultures, and sexual orientations.
- Nu Phi Zeta (ΝΦΖ) - Fraternity for progressive men of all ethnic backgrounds, cultures, and sexual orientations
- Sigma Phi Beta (ΣΦΒ) - fraternity for gay, straight, bisexual and transgender men; split off from Alpha Lambda Tau (now defunct)
Organizations for all genders
- Alpha Delta Phi Society (ΑΔΦ) - national gender-inclusive literary society. The first women members were initiated in 1973 at the Brown University chapter of the Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity, founded in 1832. By 1992, the co-educational chapters split off the all-male Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity to found the gender-inclusive Alpha Delta Phi Society. The Society has over 7,000 siblings across its undergraduate, graduate, and alumni chapters.
- Zeta Delta Xi (ΖΔΞ) - gender-inclusive fraternity at Brown University, founded in 1987
- Theta Delta Sigma (ΘΔΣ) - national, gender-inclusive, multicultural fraternal organization founded in 2001
- Theta Pi Sigma (ΘΠΣ) - queer gender-neutral "frarority" at the University of California, Santa Cruz. The organization was forced to change their name from Delta Lambda Psi to Theta Pi Sigma due to a lawsuit with Delta Lambda Phi.
- Theta Psi Tau (ΘΨΤ) - co-ed fraternity in Denver, Colorado, focusing on creating a safe haven for the LGBT youth of America
- Lambda Delta Chi (ΛΔΧ) - co-ed fraternity bringing all groups, religions, cultures, genders, races, and orientations together; first line crossed March 17, 2016; first one in Kean University in Union, New Jersey
- Lambda Delta Xi (ΛΔΞ) - Lambda Delta Xi Diaternity shall be a gender inclusive Greek-lettered service organization for four-year collegiate institutions. Lambda Delta Xi was founded on the basis of community service with the purpose of advancing equity and inclusion for LGBTQ students through the principles of solidarity, activism, advocacy, and education.
- Omicron Delta Pi (ΟΔΠ) a gender-inclusive human rights fraternity founded in 2008 at the University of Maine at Machias
- Sigma Epsilon Omega (ΣΕΩ) - fraternity for gay and queer individuals of all genders.
- Sigma Omicron Rho (ΣΟΡ) - national, gender-inclusive, multicultural fraternal organization founded in 2009
- Phi Sigma Pi (ΦΣΠ) - gender-inclusive national honor fraternity based in the United States. The fraternity is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization incorporated in the state of Pennsylvania, with the purpose of fostering the ideals of scholarship, leadership and fellowship. Phi Sigma Pi is organized into approximately one hundred collegiate chapters at four-year collegiate institutions and several regionally established alumni chapters and associations serving approximately 40,000 brothers. Although collegiate chapters may fall under the purview of university student governing bodies, Phi Sigma Pi maintains no affiliation with the North American Interfraternity Conference.
- Tau Beta Sigma (ΤΒΣ) - National Honorary Band Sorority is a co-educational service sorority for members of the college band. It was founded on at Texas Technological College, now known as Texas Tech University, in 1946.
- Kappa Kappa Psi (ΚΚΨ) - National Honorary Band Fraternity is a fraternity for college and university band members in the United States. It was founded on November 27, 1919 at Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College, now known as Oklahoma State University, in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
- Alpha Kappa Psi (ΑΚΨ) - is the oldest and largest professional business fraternity to current date. The fraternity was founded on October 5, 1904 at New York University, and was incorporated on May 20, 1905. It is currently headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Alpha Phi Omega (ΑΦΩ) - is a national co-ed service fraternity organized to provide community service, leadership development, and social opportunities for college students.
- Lambda Alpha Lambda (ΛΑΛ) - Lambda Alpha Lambda Diaternity is a gender inclusive Greek-lettered service organization for four-year collegiate institutions. Lambda Alpha Lambda Diaternity, is an all-inclusive Greek-lettered service organization that offers a different opportunity for those who wish to join Greek Life, but are having trouble finding the right organization for them. Lambda Alpha Lambda is the first Greek-Lettered organization at Florida Atlantic University that is dedicated to advocating for the LGBTQ+ community and their allies.
Organizations for transgender women
- Gamma Rho Lambda (ΓΡΛ) - first LGBTQ sorority for women, trans women, trans men, and non-binary students of any race or sexual orientation
- Chi Upsilon Omega (ΧΥΩ) - Greek lettered sorority for transgender women, founded in Atlanta, Georgia, established in 2013
- Epsilon, Alpha Delta (2017-07-09). "FAQ". Wordpress. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- "The History, The Mission". Alpha Lambda Zeta. Retrieved 2009-07-29.
- "Welcome to the land of pink and blue". Beta Phi Omega. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "About Gamma Rho Lambda". Gamma Rho Lambda. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- "About Eta Theta Psi". Eta Theta Psi.
- "Recruitment Information". Kappa Alpha Theta. Retrieved 2020-09-17.
- "About Kappa Theta Epsilon". Kappa Theta Epsilon. 2009. Retrieved 2014-06-30.
- "Kappa Xi Omega". Kappa Xi Omega. 2016. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- Choron, Harry and Sandra (2004). College in a Can: What's In, Who's Out, Where To, Why Not, and Everything Else You Need to Know about Life on Campus. pp. 25–26. ISBN 978-0-618-40871-9.
- "Omicron Psi Omega". Omicron Psi Omega. 2017. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "Pi Kappa Psi". PiKappaPsi. 2016. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "About Us – Psi Lambda Theta". Retrieved 2019-06-24.
- "Membership Responsibilities | Sigma Kappa". sigmakappa.org. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Sigma Omega Phi". SigmaOmegaPhi. 2018. Retrieved 2018-04-03.
- "About TDP". Tau Delta Psi Sorority, Inc. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-01-21. Retrieved 2016-01-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Transgender accepted in Greek organization". 2014-10-10.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2015-08-04.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Pi Lambda Phi Has a 'Sister'?". 2013-10-17.
- "Alpha Nu Fraternity". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- Choron, Harry and Sandra (2004). College in a Can: What's In, Who's Out, Where To, Why Not, and Everything Else You Need to Know about Life on Campus. p. 25. ISBN 978-0-618-40871-9.
- "About Delta Lambda Phi". Delta Lambda Phi. Archived from the original on June 14, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-29.
- "Students launch co-ed LGBT fraternity interest group".
- "About Us".
- "Sigma Epsilon Omega – SEO". sigmaepsilonomega.com. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- "About Us".
- "About Gamma Rho Lambda". Gamma Rho Lambda. Retrieved 2010-06-28.