List of LGBT and LGBT-friendly fraternities and sororities
|Part of a series on|
|By country or region|
|Political party affiliates|
|Military and veterans|
This is a list of LGBT and LGBT-friendly fraternities and sororities. Another type of LGBT-affirmative campus organization (beside Gay-Straight Alliances and LGBT student centers), LGBT fraternities and sororities have existed since the 1980s, with Delta Phi Upsilon being established in 1985 and Delta Lambda Phi being established in 1986. They are intended to provide members with access to Greek life without fear of homophobic reprisal or behavior by fellow members, resulting from a history of intrafraternal homophobia by longer-established organizations. This is not an exhaustive list and only includes organizations with a current Wikipedia page.
Organizations for women
- Alpha Lambda Zeta – fraternity for women who identify as aggressive lesbians
- Alpha Pi Delta Sorority, Inc – sorority for feminine lesbian women
- Gamma Rho Lambda — sorority for women, transwomen and non-binary students of any race or sexual orientation
- Kappa Alpha Lambda – sorority for feminine lesbian women
- Kappa Theta Epsilon — sorority for lesbian professionals and entrepreneurs
- Omicron Epsilon Pi — sorority for lesbians, particularly of color
- Phi Nu Kappa- Sorority for feminine women (www.phinukappa.org)
- Sigma Nu Beta, Inc. - fraternity for talented, educated and business oriented women of masculinity
Organizations for men
NOTE - multiple national fraternities have specific provisions in their non-discrimination policies that are inclusive to gay men but are not exclusively marketed to members of the gay community. Examples of such fraternities include Sigma Chi, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Phi Kappa Tau, Phi Delta Theta, Phi Kappa Theta, Alpha Sigma Phi, Beta Theta Pi, Delta Upsilon, Delta Chi, Theta Delta Chi, Lambda Chi Alpha, Pi Kappa Phi, Theta Xi, Sigma Nu, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Lambda Theta Phi.
Sigma Phi Epsilon, as well as being inclusive of gay men, is inclusive to transgender men.
- Delta Lambda Phi – fraternity for gay, bisexual, transgender and progressive men
- Sigma Phi Beta – fraternity for gay, straight, bisexual and transgender men which split off from Alpha Lambda Tau (now defunct)
Organizations for all genders
- Theta Pi Sigma - queer gender-neutral frarority at the University of California, Santa Cruz. The organization was forced to change their name from Delta Lambda Psi to Theta Pi Sigma due to a lawsuit with Delta Lambda Phi.
- Theta Delta Sigma - is a national, gender-inclusive, multicultural fraternal organization founded in 2001.
- Sigma Omicron Rho - gender-inclusive queer and ally fraternity at the University of Virginia, main campus. Founded in 2009.
- Phi Sigma Pi (ΦΣΠ) is a national Gender-inclusive honor fraternity based in the United States. The fraternity is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization incorporated in the state of Pennsylvania, with the purpose of fostering the ideals of scholarship, leadership and fellowship. Phi Sigma Pi is organized into approximately one hundred collegiate chapters at four-year collegiate institutions and several regionally established alumni chapters and associations serving approximately 40,000 brothers. Although collegiate chapters may fall under the purview of university student governing bodies, Phi Sigma Pi maintains no affiliation with the North-American Interfraternity Conference.
- Zeta Tau Zeta - gender neutral fraternity at Occidental College founded in 1926 (became gender neutral in 2005)
- "The History, The Mission". Alpha Lambda Zeta. Retrieved 2009-07-29.
- "About Gamma Rho Lambda". Gamma Rho Lambda. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- "About Kappa Theta Epsilon". Kappa Theta Epsilon. 2009. Retrieved 2014-06-30.
- Choron, Harry and Sandra (2004). College in a Can: What's In, Who's Out, Where To, Why Not, and Everything Else You Need to Know about Life on Campus. pp. 25–26. ISBN 0-618-40871-1.
- "Sigma Nu Beta website". Sigma Nu Beta. Retrieved 2015-03-30.
- Choron, Harry and Sandra (2004). College in a Can: What's In, Who's Out, Where To, Why Not, and Everything Else You Need to Know about Life on Campus. p. 25. ISBN 0-618-40871-1.
- "About Delta Lambda Phi". Delta Lambda Phi. Retrieved 2009-07-29.[dead link]
- "Students launch co-ed LGBT fraternity interest group".
- "Interview with the president of UVA’s only co-ed, Queer and Allied fraternity".
- "Sigma Omicron Rho - Alpha Chapter". Sigma Omicron Rho. Retrieved 2015-02-08.