List of LGBT awareness days
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following is a list of notable LGBT awareness days.
|Celebrate Bisexuality Day||September 23||1999||Also referred to as Bisexual Pride Day, CBD, Bisexual Pride and Bi Visibility Day.|
|Day of Silence||April||1996||April; Day varies from year to year. GLSEN's Day of Silence is an organizing tool to end the silencing effect of anti-LGBTQ bias|
|Harvey Milk Day||May 22||2010||Celebrated to honor Harvey Milk, assassinated politician, on his birthday, it is celebrated officially in California, Milk's home state.|
|Holocaust Remembrance Day||27th day of Nisan||1953||Day to remember all of the victims of the Nazi era; see persecution of homosexuals in Nazi Germany and the Holocaust.|
|Human Rights Day||December 10|
|International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia||May 17||2005||The main purpose of the May 17 mobilizations is to raise awareness of violence, discrimination, and repression of LGBT communities worldwide.|
|International Stand Up to Bullying Day||Third Friday of November and last Friday of February|
|International Transgender Day of Visibility||March 31||2009||Celebrated to bring awareness to transgender people and their identities as well as recognize those that helped fight for rights for transgender people.|
|Intersex Awareness Day||October 26||1996||Celebrated in October to commemorate the first intersex protest, which took place in Boston, MA|
|Intersex Day of Remembrance (Intersex Solidarity Day)||November 8||Marks the birthday of Herculine Barbin.|
|Irish Marriage Referendum||May 22||2015||Ireland became the first country to legalize marriage equality through plebiscite on this day|
|LGBT Health Awareness Week||Last week of March||2003||First organised by the National Coalition for LGBT Health|
|LGBT History Month (USA)||October||1994||First celebrated in 1994 in October. It was declared a national History month by President Barack Obama in 2009. The month was created with the intent to encourage openness and education about LGBT history and rights.|
|LGBT History Month (UK)||February||2005|
|LGBT Pride Month||June||June is celebrated as Pride in honor of the Stonewall Riots, though Pride events occur all year round. It also marks the month that same-sex marriage was legalized in the United States.|
|National Coming Out Day||October 11||1988|
|Pulse Night of Remembrance||June 12||2017||Annual day of US remembrance for the loss of 49 people in the Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida on June 12, 2016.|
|Spirit Day||October 19||2010|
|Stonewall Riots Anniversary||June 28||To remember the Stonewall Riots that are described as the start of the Trans and Gay Liberation Movement in the United States. It's a day for people to remember the biracial lesbian and drag king Stormé DeLarverie whose scuffle with the police started the rebellion, and the trans woman of colour Marsha P. Johnson who threw the first brick.|
|Transgender Awareness Week||Typically second week of November||The purpose is to educate about transgender and gender non-conforming people and the issues associated with their transition or identity.|
|Transgender Day of Remembrance||November 20||1999|
|World AIDS Day||December 1||1988||Recognized in 1988 by the United Nations|
|Zero Discrimination Day||March 1||2014||"#ZeroDiscrimination Day is observed to bring awareness that you can't get sick from interacting with people who have aids, that everybody should have "access health care safely and live life fully with dignity." as per Michel Sidibé, UNAIDS Executive Director". The day is also used to bring attention to acceptance of non-straight fellow humans and not marginalise, discriminate or act cruelly against them, yet to instruct oneself on e.g. the gender continuum.|
|International Nonbinary Day||July 14||2012||"How about July 14th? It’s precisely in the middle between International Men’s Day and International Women’s day. It’s a nice month. Numerologically it’s a 3, which is an appropriate number, I think, for us non-binary folk."|
- "About". Bisexual Week. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Tran, Mark (2009-10-13). "Arnold Schwarzenegger signs law establishing Harvey Milk Day". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- Carreras, Jessica. "Transgender Day of Visibility plans erupt locally, nationwide". PrideSource. Archived from the original on 2013-03-27.
- "Intersex Awareness Day marked around the world". Washington Blade: Gay News, Politics, LGBT Rights. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- http://healthlgbt.org/advocacy/ National Coalition for LGBT Health.
- "Presidential Proclamation -- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month, 2014". The White House, Office of the Press Secretary. Retrieved 2015-01-29.
- "National Coming Out Day". HRC.org. Retrieved 2015-01-29.
- "(Heartbreaking images from the one year anniversary vigil at Pulse nightclub in Orlando)".Mother Jones. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "The Stonewall Riots - 1969". Socialistalternative.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "The Stonewall Riot - Jun 28, 1969 - HISTORY.com". HISTORY.com. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- "Zero Discrimination Day". World Health Organization.
- "International Days". www.un.org.
- "Zero Discrimination Day 2017 - UNAIDS". www.unaids.org.
- Mathers, Charlie. "Prepare for International Non-binary Day by learning how to be a better ally". Gay Star News. Retrieved 14 July 2018.
- Hirst, Jordan. "Inclusive Brisbane Party To Mark International Non-Binary Day". QNEWS Magazine. Retrieved 14 July 2018.
- Katje (March 8 2012). "Calling for an International Non-Binary Gender Day". FIERCE FEMME'S BLACK MARKET. Check date values in:
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Student Support Services Office at Indiana University
- Intersex Awareness Day
|This article about lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender topics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|