List of Latin American Nobel laureates
The Nobel Prize is an annual, international prize first awarded in 1901 for achievements in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature, and Peace. An associated prize in Economics has been awarded since 1969. Nobel Prizes have been awarded to over 800 individuals.
Latin Americans have been the recipients in five of six award categories: Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature, and Peace. The first Latin American to receive the prize was Carlos Saavedra Lamas in 1936. The most recent recipient Juan Manuel Santos was awarded the Peace prize in October 2016.
Two Latin Americans have been given the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
|1970||Luis F. Leloir||Argentina|| First Hispanic to win a Nobel Prize in Chemistry|
|1995||Mario J. Molina||Mexico|
Six Latin Americans have been given the Nobel Prize in Literature.
|1945||Gabriela Mistral||Chile||First Latin American to win a Nobel Prize in literature|
|1967||Miguel Ángel Asturias||Guatemala|
|1982||Gabriel García Márquez||Colombia|
|2010||Mario Vargas Llosa||Peru/ Spain|
Six Latin Americans have been given the Nobel Peace Prize.
|1936||Carlos Saavedra Lamas||Argentina||First Latin American to win a Nobel Prize, first Hispanic to win a Nobel Peace Prize|
|1980||Adolfo Pérez Esquivel||Argentina|||
|1982||Alfonso García Robles||Mexico|
|1987||Óscar Arias Sánchez||Costa Rica|
|2016||Juan Manuel Santos||Colombia|
One Latin American has been given the Nobel Prize in Physics.
|1968||Luis Walter Alvarez||United States||First Hispanic to win a Nobel Prize in Physics|
Physiology or Medicine
Three Latin Americans have been given the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.
|1949||Bernardo Houssay||Argentina|| First Latin American to win a Nobel Prize in science|
|1980||Baruj Benacerraf||Venezuela/ United States|||
- List of Argentine Nobel laureates
- List of Spanish Nobel laureates
- List of Asian Nobel laureates
- List of Arab Nobel laureates
- List of Jewish Nobel laureates
- List of Christian Nobel laureates
- List of Muslim Nobel laureates
- "Nobel Prize" (2007), in Encyclopædia Britannica, accessed 14 November 2007, from Encyclopædia Britannica Online:
An additional award, the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, was established in 1968 by the Bank of Sweden and was first awarded in 1969
- "All Nobel Laureates". Nobel Foundation. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "Biography of Luis Leloir". Nobelprize.org. Retrieved 7 June 2010.
- "Adofo Pérez Esquivel". Nobel Prize Committee.
- Fernandez, R. M. (September 2011). "A Finding Aid to the Mabel Alvarez Papers, 1898–1987, in the Archives of American Art". Archives of American Art. Retrieved June 15, 2011.
- Young, F.; Foglia, V. G. (1974). "Bernardo Alberto Houssay 1887–1971". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 20: 246. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1974.0011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-27. Retrieved 2015-12-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)