List of Love sculptures
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of the many versions of Robert Indiana's Love sculpture that exist worldwide (1969–1999). The original Pop Art image was created for print media in the 1960s. The first rendering of it in sculpture was made in 1970. Sculptural versions now appear in urban centers around the globe. Variants employ the Hebrew, Chinese, Italian and Spanish languages as well as the original English language.
Versions of Love in the United States
--- Updated and edited as of 17 November 2019
- AR – Bentonville – Art Trail outside the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas
- AZ – Scottsdale – Scottsdale Civic Center in Scottsdale, Arizona
- CA – Palos Verdes Estates – Chadwick School campus in Palos Verdes Estates, California
- CA – Rosemead – Panda Restaurant Group in Rosemead, California
- CA – San Francisco – San Francisco Museum of Modern Art in San Francisco, California
- CA – San Francisco – Tennis court behind the abandoned Public Health Service Hospital at the Nike Missile Site SF-89L in San Francisco, California
- D.C. – location confirmed March 2017 – AMOR in the [[National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden in Washington D.C.
- FL – Bay Harbor Island – location confirmed November 2018 – In the median of 96th Street in front of a cigar store and medical office in Bay Harbor Islands, Florida
- IA – Des Moines – Pappajohn Sculpture Park in Des Moines, Iowa
- IN – Indianapolis – location confirmed August 2019 – Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis, Indiana – The original sculpture version is now inside the museum
- IN – New Castle – location confirmed August 2019 – in Arts Park by the Art Association of Henry County in New Castle, Indiana (Robert Indiana’s hometown) – LOVE sculpture is "likeness" only
- IN – New Castle – location confirmed August 2019 – corner of Grand Avenue and 15th Street in New Castle, Indiana (Robert Indiana’s hometown) – LOVE sculpture is "likeness" only
- KS – Wichita – location confirmed July 2019 – on Wichita State University campus in Wichita, Kansas near/in the middle of the Heskett Center, Lindquist Hall, and Grace Wilkie Hall buildings
- LA – New Orleans – New Orleans Museum of Art's sculpture garden in New Orleans, Louisiana
- ME – Rockland – location confirmed August 2018 – inside Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, Maine
- ME – Vinalhaven – in Chinese in front of Indiana's residence, the Star of Hope, on Vinalhaven Island
- MI – Grand Rapids – location confirmed August 2019 – Louis Campau Promenade in Downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan
- MN – Minneapolis – Minneapolis Sculpture Garden in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- NY – Brooklyn – Pratt Institute campus in Brooklyn, New York Visited in 2016, was not on display
- NY – Buffalo – may be in Albright-Knox Gallery at 1285 Elmwood Avenue
- NY – NYC – location confirmed August 2019 – Kasmin Gallery displaying three (3) blocks: AHAVA, LOVE, AMOR on top of a building along the High Line at 27th Street and one (1) LOVE block with lights inside the gallery
- NY – NYC – location confirmed December 2007 – Sixth Avenue, on the southeast corner of West 55th Street in New York City, New York
- OK – Norman – location confirmed July 2019 – sculpture sits outside in front of the Visitor Center building on the campus of University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma
- OR – Portland – location confirmed November 2019 – temporary installation at Lewis & Clark College, adjacent to Howard Hall. Courtesy of the Zarnegin Family Foundation.
- PA – Bethlehem – location confirmed August 2019 – E.W. Fairchild-Martindale Library, Lehigh University Asa Packer Campus in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania – LOVE sculpture is "likeness" only
- PA – Collegeville – location confirmed August 2019 – sculpture sits in front of Wismer Center on Ursinus College campus in Collegeville, Pennsylvania – the large (comparable to the sculptures in NYC and Indianapolis) LOVE sculpture is a "likeness" only, authorized by Robert Indiana, but not built by him, as confirmed by the assistant curator
- PA – Philadelphia – location confirmed August 2019 – corner of Love Park (John F. Kennedy Plaza) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- PA – Philadelphia – location confirmed August 2019 – AMOR sculpture is on the corner of Sister Cities Park (a part of Logan Circle), across from the Catholic Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- PA – Philadelphia – location confirmed August 2019 – sculpture sits on a pedestal near 34th Street & Walnut on the University of Pennsylvania campus in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- TX – San Antonio – McNay Art Museum in San Antonio, Texas
- TX – University Park – location confirmed July 2019 – sculpture is near a small pond at Williams Park (located on Turtle Creek, east of Preston Road on University Boulevard) in University Park, Texas
- UT – Provo – Brigham Young University Museum of Art in Provo, Utah
- VT – Middlebury – location confirmed August 2018 – sculpture is outside the college art museum near a small pond on Middlebury College campus in Middlebury, Vermont
- WI – Milwaukee – location confirmed September 2019 – installed on the outdoor east patio of the Milwaukee Art Museum facing Lake Michigan, in downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Versions of Love in Canada
- Hamilton – Ontario – Near "Central Park" development on Rymal Road in Hamilton, Ontario
- Montreal – Quebec – location confirmed June 2019 – sculpture is encircled by a two-foot tall plexiglass panel – Old Montreal in front of Lhotel 262 Saint Jacques Street West in Montreal, Quebec
- Vancouver – British Columbia – Outside 1445 West Georgia Street in Vancouver, British Columbia – this gallery has closed and the sculpture moved
Versions of Love in Europe
- Armenia – Yerevan – Yerevan Cascade in Yerevan, Armenia
- England – Derbyshire – Chatsworth in Derbyshire, England, as part of the Sotheby's Beyond Limits exhibition, 2008
- England – London – Bishopsgate and Wormwood Street, City of London, England (southwest corner) –– temporary exhibit, May 2013 – June 2014
- Georgia – Tbilisi – Bidzina Ivanishvili[clarification needed] palace in Tbilisi, Georgia
- Germany - Berlin - Hamburger Bahnhof Museum für Gegenwart in Berlin, Germany
- Portugal – Lisbon – Rossio Square (Praça do Rossio) in Lisbon, Portugal
- Spain – Bilbao – Plaza del Sagrado Corazón in Bilbao, Spain
- Switzerland – Martigny – Fondation Pierre Gianadda in Martigny, Switzerland
- Turkey – Istanbul – Nişantaşı in Istanbul, Turkey
Versions of Love in Asia
- China – Hong Kong – World Trade Centre in Hong Kong, China (taken down)
- China – Shanghai – Zendai Museum of Modern Art in Shanghai, China
- India – Mumbai – Antilia in Mumbai, India (inside the private building; not open to the public)
- Indonesia – Bandung – Love Lock in Bandung City Hall, Bandung, Indonesia
- Indonesia – Jakarta – Gandaria City in Jakarta, Indonesia
- Israel - Jerusalem – Love sculpture in Hebrew is displayed at the Israel Museum
- Japan – Chiba – In a roundabout in Chiba, Chiba, Japan
- Japan – Tokyo – Shinjuku I-Land Tower in Nishi-Shinjuku office district in Tokyo, Japan
- Kyrgyzstan – Bishkek – Love Park in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, since July 2009
- Malaysia – Melacca City – In front of Christ Church in Melacca City, Malaysia
- Philippines – Naga City, Camarines Sur – Magsaysay Avenue in Naga, Camarines Sur, Philippines
- Philippines – Naga City, Cebu – Baywalk in Naga, Cebu, Philippines
- Philippines – Quezon City – Eastwood City in Quezon City, Philippines
- Sabah Malaysia – Kota Kinabalu – Sabah Surya in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah Malaysia
- Singapore – Winsland Plaza (between Winsland House I & II) in Singapore
- South Korea – Seoul – LOVE (Blue) in Myeong-dong, Seoul, South Korea
- South Korea – Osan – Amorepacific Corporation factory (indoor) in Osan, South Korea
- South Korea – Yongin – Amorepacific Museum of Art in Yongin, South Korea (LOVE installations on site, playing on the LOVE theme)
- Taiwan – Taipei – Taipei 101 in Taipei, Taiwan (also inside displays Indiana's 1-0)
- Thailand – Bangkok – CentralWorld shopping plaza and complex in Bangkok, Thailand (in the ZEN store; destroyed by the fire during the 2010 Thai political protests)
Versions of Love in South America
- Colombia – Bogota – Parque metropolitano El Lago in Bogotá, Colombia
- Colombia – Neiva – Neiva, Colombia
Versions of Love in other languages
--- Updated and edited as of Friday, 08/23/19
- D.C. – location confirmed March 2017 – AMOR is displayed at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden in Washington, D.C.
- Italy – Milan – An Indiana sculpture showing the Italian word for love (Italian: amor) was displayed outside the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II on Piazza della Scala in Milan, Italy. This sculpture is no longer there (visited 12 May 2016)
- Jerusalem – An Indiana sculpture showing the Hebrew word for love (Hebrew: אהבה, ahava) is displayed at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem
- NY – NYC – location confirmed August 2019 – Kasmin Gallery displaying three (3) blocks: AHAVA, LOVE, AMOR on top of a building along the High Line at 27th Street
- PA – Philadelphia – location confirmed August 2019 – AMOR sculpture is on the corner of Sister Cities Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- "Robert Indiana (American, born 1928) Love, 1973". Public Art on Campus. Middlebury College. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- "Frisbee Dog Memorial, Middlebury, Vermont". Roadsideamerica.com. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- Naczek, Margaret. "Robert Indiana's 'LOVE' sculpture finds new home at the Milwaukee Art Museum". Milwaukee Business Journal. Retrieved 2019-09-06.
- "Love in Montreal". Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- "Patung LOVE di Gandaria City". 2012-12-01. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- Google Street View
- "В Бишкеке для посетителей открылся "Парк любви" – Информационное Агентство АКИpress". Kg.akipress.org. 2009-07-20. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "Indiana's LOVE at Quezon City Philippines". 2011-03-29. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- "Indiana's Love in Singapore". Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- Publicly posted material, Floor 89, Taipei 101. 2007-08-17.