List of Martian meteorites
Of the over 53,000 meteorites that have been found on Earth just 99 had been identified as Martian as of 30 July 2011[update]. On 17 October 2013, NASA reported, based on analysis of argon in the Martian atmosphere by the Mars Curiosity rover, that certain meteorites found on Earth thought to be from Mars, were actually from Mars. Note that the list does not include meteorites found on Mars by the various rovers.
Where multiple meteorites are listed they are believed to be pieces of the same original body. The mass shown is the total recovered.
- Antarctica locations, numbered:
- Chassigny - Chassigny, Haute-Marne, France
- Desert locations, numbered:
- Nakhla - El Nakhla El Bahariya, Abu Hummus, Beheira Governorate, Egypt
- Shergotty - Shergotty, Gaya district, Bihar, India
- Tissint - Tissint, Oued Drâa valley, East of Tata, Morocco
- "Meteoritical Bulletin Database". Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- Webster, Guy (17 October 2013). "NASA Rover Confirms Mars Origin of Some Meteorites". NASA. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "The Los Angeles Meteorite". www2.jpl.nasa.gov. NASA/JPL.
- Staff (January 3, 2013). "Researchers Identify Water Rich Meteorite Linked To Mars Crust". NASA. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- Webster, Guy (February 27, 2014). "NASA Scientists Find Evidence of Water in Meteorite, Reviving Debate Over Life on Mars". NASA. Retrieved February 27, 2014.