List of Miami Marlins Opening Day starting pitchers
The Miami Marlins are a Major League Baseball (MLB) franchise based in Miami, Florida. They play in the National League East division. The first game of the new baseball season for a team is played on Opening Day, and being named the Opening Day starter is an honor, which is often given to the player who is expected to lead the pitching staff that season, though there are various strategic reasons why a team's best pitcher might not start on Opening Day. The Marlins have used 14 different Opening Day starting pitchers in their 24 seasons. Since the Marlins' first season in 1993, the 14 starters have a combined Opening Day record of ten wins and ten losses (10–10).
Seven Marlins pitchers have started on two or more Opening Days. Those seven are Charlie Hough, Kevin Brown, Alex Fernandez, Ryan Dempster, Josh Beckett, Dontrelle Willis, and Josh Johnson. Beckett holds the record for most Opening Day starts as a Marlin, with three appearances, from 2003 to 2005. When playing at their home field of Land Shark Stadium, the Marlins have a record of seven wins and five losses (7–5). In the franchise's history, Florida has only played Opening Day games at another team's home stadium six times. As the away team, Marlins' starting pitchers have an Opening Day record of one win and four losses (1–3).
The longest ever Opening Day winning streak for Marlins starting pitchers is two years, when Florida won in 2004 and 2005 under starting pitcher Josh Beckett. The Marlins longest Opening Day losing streak for starting pitchers was the three losses that came in 1994, 1995, and 1996, under starting pitchers Charlie Hough (1994), John Burkett (1995), and Kevin Brown (1996). The Marlins have won the World Series twice, in 1997 and 2003, and in those seasons, their starting pitchers had one loss and one no-decision on Opening Day.
|Season||Each year is linked to an article about that particular Marlins season.|
|ND (W)||No decision by starting pitcher; Marlins won game|
|ND (L)||No decision by starting pitcher; Marlins lost game|
|Pitcher (#)||Number of appearances as Opening Day starter with the Marlins|
|*||World Series Champions|
- Bastian, Jordan (March 22, 2010). "Marcum tapped for Jays' Opening Day". MLB.com. Retrieved September 26, 2010.
- Dilbeck, Steve (February 24, 2014). "Dodgers may not start Clayton Kershaw in Sydney". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- "Florida Marlins Opening Day Starters and Results". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- "Florida 12, Washington 6". Yahoo!. Retrieved 2009-04-06.
- "NY Mets 7, Florida 1". Yahoo!. Retrieved 2009-04-06.
- "Expos 7, Marlins 6". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- "Bell, Thome and Millwood off to solid starts". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- "Choi marks Marlins debut with career-high 3 RBI". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- "Smoltz allows first-inning grand slam in return to rotation". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- "Oswalt, Lidge combine to five-hit Marlins". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- "Cabrera's four RBI carry Marlins past Nats". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- "Santana K's eight in seven innings as Mets roll". ESPN. Retrieved 2008-09-16.