List of Miami Marlins managers
The Miami Marlins are a professional Major League Baseball based in Miami, Florida. The Marlins are members of the National League East division in MLB, joining in 1993 as an expansion team. In baseball, the head coach of a team is called the manager, or more formally, the field manager. The duties of the team manager include team strategy and leadership on and off the field. The Marlins have employed 12 different managers since their founding as the Florida Marlins in 1993.
The Marlins' first manager was Rene Lachemann, who led the team from its creation in 1993 through part of the 1996 season. He has the most losses in franchise history with 285, and has the lowest winning percentage, with .437. After Cookie Rojas managed for one game, John Boles served as manager for the final 75 games of the 1996 season. Jim Leyland took over the franchise for the next two seasons, and in the process led the Marlins to their first World Series championship in 1997. In 1999, Boles took over and started his second stint as manager of the Marlins, which lasted until partway through the 2001 season. Tony Pérez was interim manager for the rest of 2001; Pérez is the only Miami Marlins manager who is a member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame, inducted as a player in 2000.
Jeff Torborg took over as manager to start the 2002 season, and served for 1 1⁄2 seasons. Jack McKeon took over and guided the franchise to their second World Series championship in 2003. He served until the end of the 2005 season, and was replaced by Joe Girardi, who was manager for one full season, in 2006. Fredi González took over from Girardi and managed the team from 2007 until partway through 2010; he is the current franchise leader in games managed (555) . Edwin Rodríguez managed the Marlins from 2010 to 2011, and after Brandon Hyde managed for one game, McKeon returned for a second stint as manager. After McKeon retired, Ozzie Guillén took over as manager of the Marlins for the 2012 season, the team's first as the Miami Marlins. Ozzie Guillén was fired on October 23, 2012 after finishing in last place.
|Number of Marlins managers. Any manager who has two or more separate terms is only counted once.|
|Winning percentage: number of wins divided by number of games managed|
|Playoff appearances: number of times this manager has led the franchise to the playoffs|
|Playoff wins: number of playoff games won for this manager|
|Playoff losses: number of playoff games lost for this manager|
|World Series: number of World Series victories achieved by this manager|
|Managerial result: how manager ended his tenure with team|
|Elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame|
|Won Manager of the Year award|
Statistics current through 2019 season
Mike Redmond, manager of the Miami Marlins (2013-2015)
Managers with multiple tenures
|3||John Boles||1996, 1999–2001||205||241||.460||—||—||—||—|||
|7||Jack McKeon||2003–2005, 2011||281||257||.522||1||11||6||1|||
- "Manager: Definition | Dictionary.com". Dictionary.Reference.com. The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 2006. Retrieved February 24, 2009.
- Dickson, P. (2009). The Dickson Baseball Dictionary (Third ed.). W.W. Norton & Co. p. 530. ISBN 978-0-393-06681-4.
- "Rene Lachemann Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved February 6, 2009.
- "Cookie Rojas Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved February 6, 2009.
- "John Boles Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved February 6, 2009.
- "Jim Leyland Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved February 6, 2009.
- "Tony Pérez Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved February 6, 2009.
- "Jeff Torborg Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved February 6, 2009.
- "Jack McKeon Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved February 6, 2009.
- "Joe Girardi Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved February 6, 2009.
- "Fredi González Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved February 6, 2009.
- "Edwin Rodriguez Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- "Fredi Gonzalez Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- "Baseball Hall of Fame Inductees". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved December 29, 2008.
- "Ozzie Guillen Managerial Record". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- Kaduk, Kevin (1 November 2012). "Mike Redmond hired as next Marlins manager". Big League Stew. Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2013-03-24.
- "Statement from Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria". MLB.com. September 29, 2013. Archived from the original on November 13, 2013. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- Knight, Molly (October 29, 2015). "SOURCE: MARLINS HIRE DON MATTINGLY AS MANAGER". Archived from the original on October 29, 2015. Retrieved October 29, 2015.