List of NCAA college football rivalry games
- 1 NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision
- 2 NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision
- 3 Rivalries involving FBS and FCS teams
- 4 NCAA Division II
- 5 NCAA Division III
- 6 Longest continuous NCAA college football rivalries
- 7 See also
- 8 Notes
- 9 Further reading
NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision
Rivalries involving more than two teams
|Game||Trophy||Teams||First meeting||Final meeting|
|Beehive Boot||BYU, Utah, Utah State||1971|
|Commander-in-Chief's Trophy||Air Force, Army, Navy||1972|
|Florida Cup||Florida, Florida State, Miami (FL)||2002|
|Michigan MAC Trophy||Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan||2005|
|Tobacco Road||Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake Forest||1888|
NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision
Rivalries involving more than two teams
|Big Three||Harvard, Princeton, Yale||1877|
|Sgt. York Trophy||Austin Peay, Tennessee–Martin, Tennessee State, Tennessee Tech||2007|
Rivalries involving FBS and FCS teams
This list is restricted to rivalries whose participants are currently in different Division I football subdivisions, and have played one another while in different subdivisions. Most of these began when both teams competed in the same (sub)division.
In this list, the FCS team is in italics.
|Game||Trophy||Team||Team||First Year||Latest Year||Meetings|
|Ball State–Indiana State||Blue Key Victory Bell||Ball State||Indiana State||1924||2014||63|
|Battle for the Paddle||Paddle Trophy||Nicholls State||Texas State||1980||2011||30|
|Battle for the Red Belt||Red Belt||Murray State||Western Kentucky||1931||2008||67|
|Battle of the Bluegrass||Eastern Kentucky||Western Kentucky||1914||2017||85|
|Battle of the Palouse||Idaho||Washington State||1894||2016||91|
|Boston College–Holy Cross||Boston College||Holy Cross||1896||2018||83|
|Connecticut–Rhode Island||Connecticut||Rhode Island||1897||2018||94|
|Louisiana–McNeese State||Cajun Crown||Louisiana||McNeese State||1951||2016||38|
|Louisiana–Southeastern Louisiana||Cypress Mug||Louisiana||Southeastern Louisiana||1930||2017||40|
|Louisiana–Monroe–Northwestern State||Louisiana–Monroe||Northwestern State||1952||2005||48|
NCAA Division II
NCAA Division III
Longest continuous NCAA college football rivalries
Following are the longest active continuously-played series in NCAA college football. Many historic series were interrupted by the 1918 flu pandemic and World War II. More recently, other longstanding rivalries were terminated by the 2010–2014 NCAA conference realignment.
|Series nickname / Trophy||NCAA Div.||First meeting||Series leader||Notes|
|Lafayette–Lehigh||1897||The Rivalry||FCS||1884||Lafayette||Most played series in college football|
|Minnesota–Wisconsin||1907||Paul Bunyan's Axe||FBS||1890||Wisconsin||Most played series in FBS|
|Clemson–South Carolina||1909||Palmetto Bowl||FBS||1896||Clemson|
|North Carolina State–Wake Forest||1910||NC State-Wake Forest rivalry||FBS||1895||NC State|
|Oklahoma–Oklahoma State||1910||Bedlam Series||FBS||1904||Oklahoma|
|Kansas–Kansas State||1911||Sunflower Showdown||FBS||1902||Kansas|
|Wabash–DePauw||1911||Monon Bell||Div. III||1890||Wabash|
|Iowa State–Kansas State||1917||Farmageddon||FBS||1917||Iowa State|
|Michigan–Ohio State||1918||The Game||FBS||1897||Michigan|
|Dartmouth–Cornell||1919||Cornell–Dartmouth football rivalry||FCS||1900||Dartmouth|
|North Carolina–Virginia||1919||South's Oldest Rivalry||FBS||1892||North Carolina|
|Purdue–Indiana||1920||Old Oaken Bucket||FBS||1891||Purdue|
- Note: The NCAA also lists as "continuous" the following rivalries interrupted by gaps during war years: North Carolina–Virginia (1910–16, 1919–current); Mississippi–Mississippi State (1915–42, 1944–current); Auburn–Georgia (1919–42, 1944–current); Tennessee–Kentucky (1919–42, 1944–current). Other rivalries were also interrupted during war years, for example: Harvard–Yale (1897–1916, 1919–43, 1945–present); Princeton–Yale (1876–1916, 1919–43, 1945–present); and Miami–Cincinnati (1909–42, 1945–present).
Longest interrupted NCAA college football rivalries
Following are the NCAA Division I and II series that continued for the most consecutive seasons before being interrupted. Seven of the ten series on this list are interrupted rivalries from the old Big Eight Conference.
|Length||NCAA Div.||First meeting||Notes / reason for interruption|
|Nebraska–Kansas||1906–2010||105 years||FBS||1892||Longest continuous series in FBS until ended in 2010|
Ended by NU's move to Big Ten
|Texas–Texas A&M||1915–2011||97 years||FBS||1894||Ended by A&M's move to SEC|
|Oklahoma–Kansas||1903–1997||95 years||FBS||1903||Longest continuous series in FBS until annual play ended in 1997|
Ended by advent of Big 12 divisional play
Annual play resumed in 2011 with end of Big 12 divisional play
|Missouri–Kansas||1919–2011||93 years||FBS||1891||Ended by MU's move to SEC|
|Missouri–Iowa State||1919–2011||93 years||FBS||1896||Ended by MU's move to SEC|
|Nebraska–Iowa State||1921–2010||90 years||FBS||1896||Ended by NU's move to Big Ten|
|Nebraska–Kansas State||1922–2010||89 years||FBS||1911||Ended by NU's move to Big Ten|
|Nebraska–Missouri||1922–2010||89 years||FBS||1892||Ended by NU's move to Big Ten|
|Ohio State–Illinois||1914–2002||89 years||FBS||1902||Ended by Big Ten's change to non-round robin scheduling|
|Presbyterian–Newberry||1919–2006||88 years||Div. II||1913||Ended by Presbyterian's move to Division I|
- Most-played rivalries in NCAA Division I FBS
- List of NCAA Division III football programs
- Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy (top team in the Northeast)
- List of black college football classics
- College rivalry#United States
- Scheduled to meet November 10, 2018 as Big Sky Conference rivals.
- Alabama State and Tuskegee no longer meet in the Turkey Day Classic, but beginning in 2017 meet in the Marion Nine Invitational Labor Day Classic.
- "Texas State to host Nicholls in 2019, Houston Baptist in 2022". FBS Schedules. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- Next meeting in 2020.
- Although the Fall Classic has only been played since 2002, Pitt-Northwest first played in 1932.
- Expected to end after the 2017 season, with North Alabama moving to Division I FCS in 2018.
- The first Top Dog Game occurred in 1971 when the Butler Bulldogs moved from the College Division to Division II, joining their cross-town rival UIndy (formerly Indiana Central) Greyhounds in the Heartland Conference. The series lasted for 21 years until the last game in 1992 when Butler moved to Division I FCS (formerly NCAA I-AA) the following season.
- Played most years since 1986;
series currently tied 16-16
- "The Ship's Wheel Trophy: The Battle of Lake Erie". Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- "Knights, Oles Meet with Goat Trophy, Cereal Bowl at Stake", Northfield News, October 9, 2004. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- The rivalry began between Pomona and Occidental Colleges. Pomona now operates a joint athletic program with Pitzer College, both being among the five undergraduate Claremont Colleges, with the joint program known as Pomona–Pitzer.
- This is the year the rivalry began. The Edmund Orgill Trophy was first competed for in 1954.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-12-06. Retrieved 2012-07-22.
- "Lantern stays in Granville after strong 2nd half". Denison. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- The rivalry began between Pomona and another Claremont College, Claremont McKenna. As noted previously, Pomona now operates a joint athletic program with another Claremont College, Pitzer College, as Pomona–Pitzer. Claremont McKenna is now part of the Claremont–Mudd–Scripps athletic program along with two other Claremont Colleges, Harvey Mudd and Scripps Colleges.
- "The Ugliest Rivalry Trophy In The Nation". Concordia (MN). Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- "Team Records Game by Game". Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- Although King's had played Wilkes nine times before the establishment of the trophy, the first game for the Wilkes-Barre Mayor's Cup was in 1996, per King's College's preview of the 2009 game.
- NCAA's 2016 FBS Record Book (English), NCAA, retrieved May 18, 2017
- NCAA's 2016 FCS Record Book (English), NCAA, retrieved May 18, 2017
- NCAA's 2016 Division II Record Book (English), NCAA, retrieved May 18, 2017
- NCAA's 2016 Division III Record Book (English), NCAA, retrieved May 18, 2017
- Oklahoma v. Oklahoma State Series (English), winsipedia.com, retrieved May 18, 2017
- Tramel, Berry (September 25, 2013). "Notre Dame Stadium an American treasure". Daily Oklahoman. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Olson, Kevin (December 2, 2014). "1910: The lost year of the Sunflower Showdown". The Manhattan Mercury. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- DePauw v. Wabash Series (English), cfbdatawarehouse.com, retrieved October 8, 2014
- Kansas State v. Iowa State Series (English), winsipedia.com, retrieved May 18, 2017
- Virginia v. North Carolina Series (English), winsipedia.com, retrieved May 18, 2017
- Nebraska v. Iowa State Series (English), winsipedia.com, retrieved May 18, 2017
- Nebraska v. Kansas State Series (English), winsipedia.com, retrieved May 18, 2017
- Nebraska v. Missouri Series (English), winsipedia.com, retrieved May 18, 2017
- Ohio State v. Illinois Series (English), winsipedia.com, retrieved May 18, 2017
- Presbyterian v. Newberry Series (English), cfbdatawarehouse.com, retrieved July 14, 2014
- Presbyterian College series (English), Presbyterian College, retrieved July 14, 2014
- Weinberg, Steve (August 26, 2011). "Are college football rivalries getting out of hand?". USA Today. Retrieved 2011-09-05.