List of NHL on-ice officials
In ice hockey, an official is responsible for enforcing the rules and maintaining order. On-ice officials are present on the ice during the game, and traditionally wear a shirt with black and white vertical stripes. The National Hockey League (NHL) currently employs four on-ice officials in each game—two referees and two linesmen. Referees are identified by their red or orange armbands. They are responsible for the general supervision of the game, assess penalties, and conduct face-offs at the beginning of each period and after a goal is scored. When play is stopped for another reason, the face-offs are conducted by the linesmen. The linesmen are primarily responsible for violations involving the centre line and blue lines, such as icing and offside infractions.
All NHL on-ice officials are members of the National Hockey League Officials Association (NHLOA), a labour union founded in 1969. The NHLOA represents its members in matters dealing with working conditions of on-ice officials and acts as their collective bargaining agent.
Former NHL officials
Officials in the Hockey Hall of Fame
|1961||Elliott, ChaucerChaucer Elliott|
|1961||Ion, MickeyMickey Ion|
|1961||Smeaton, CooperCooper Smeaton|
|1962||Rodden, MikeMike Rodden|
|1963||Hewitson, BobbyBobby Hewitson|
|1964||Chadwick, BillBill Chadwick|
|1967||Storey, RedRed Storey|
|1973||Udvari, FrankFrank Udvari|
|1981||Ashley, JohnJohn Ashley|
|1987||Pavelich, MattMatt Pavelich|
|1988||Hayes, GeorgeGeorge Hayes|
|1991||Armstrong, NeilNeil Armstrong|
|1993||D'Amico, JohnJohn D'Amico|
|1999||Van Hellemond, AndyAndy Van Hellemond|
|2008||Scapinello, RayRay Scapinello|
- "Former SPHL referee Jake Brenk makes NHL debut". Southern Professional Hockey League. 14 November 2015. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- Lytle, Kevin (9 April 2014). "Colorado State grad makes debut as NHL referee". Coloradoan. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- "BC Hockey Official NHL Debut". BCHockey. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- "Former ECHL Referee Hebert Makes NHL Debut". Our Sports Central. 13 April 2011. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- "Former Campus Rec referee makes NHL debut". Waterloo Warriors. 19 November 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- "Maritime referee makes NHL debut in Philadelphia". CTV News Atlantic. 27 November 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- Rice, Steve (16 January 2015). "Nicholson to ref NHL game Saturday". Stratford Beacon Herald. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- "Pochmara brothers earn their officiating stripes". Lake Superior State University. 5 January 2007. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- McKenzie, Bob (12 January 2015). "A special moment this week as Garrett Rank officiates first-ever NHL game". TSN.ca. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- Lewis, Scott (10 March 2015). "Russian-born referee Romasko makes NHL debut". Sportsnet. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- Sawatzky, Mike (29 March 2017). "Official goes all-in pursuing his NHL dream". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- Bendel, Joe (23 September 2016). "Quaker Valley, RMU grad Furman South makes right call on career move". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- DaCosta, Dylan (31 August 2016). "Earning his stripes: Tavistock linesman promoted to the NHL". New Hamburg Independent. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Gobis, Peter (16 July 2016). "Mansfield hockey referee Daisy headed to the NHL". The Sun Chronicle. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Former Nanook Brandon Gawryletz becomes full-time NHL linesman". newsminer.com. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.