List of New Zealand's big things
Examples include: the Taihape gumboot, where gumboot-throwing is encouraged; the large L&P bottle (Lemon and Paeroa) in the town where the drink originated, and the Big Sheep Shearer in Te Kuiti, where the national sheep-shearing competitions are held.
List of big things
|Big Apple||Waitomo Caves||The logo of the Big Apple Cafe.|
|Big Bicycle||Taupo||2012||3 m (9.8 ft)||A 3m high bicycle erected in September 2012 to encourage road safety to cyclists|
|Big Bull||Bulls||4 m (13 ft)||A large Bull, signifying the importance of bulls to Bulls.|
|Big Carrot||Ohakune||1984||This big carrot is at the entrance to the town Ohakune, recognising the importance of market gardening to the local economy. The carrot was originally a fibreglass prop used in an ANZ Bank commercial that was acquired by the town and officially unveiled by the Prime Minister in 1984.|
|Big Gumboot||Taihape||A giant metal gumboot made from corrugated iron. Represents Taihape as the "Gumboot Capital of the World".|
|Big Kiwifruit||Te Puke, Bay of Plenty||Part of the Kiwi360 complex.|
|Big Kiwi||Eketahuna||Big Kiwi; relocated in 2016.|
|Big Kiwis||Otorohanga||Several corrugated-iron kiwis are located around the town, the self-proclaimed capital of Kiwiana.|
|Big Lemon and Paeroa Bottle||Paeroa, Thames Valley||1967||7 m (23 ft)||A large soft drink bottle; L&P or Lemon & Paeroa.|
|Big Loaf||Manaia||The town is 'New Zealand's Bread Capital' - Yarrows Family Bakers, one of the last and largest remaining independently owned bakeries, is in Manaia.|
|Big Sheep and Sheepdog||Tirau||1994||Made from corrugated iron, the town's information centre is shaped like a giant dog, with 'the big sheep' housing a large wool outlet.|
|Big Sheep Shearer||Te Kuiti||The town promotes itself as the sheep shearing capital of the world and is host to the annual New Zealand National Shearing Championships.|
|Big Trout||Taupo||A giant metal trout|
|Big Prawn||Taupo||A giant prawn, part of Huka Prawn Park|
|Mega Cow||Morrinsville||2017||6.5 m||A large cow, to acknowledge the area's thriving dairy farming industry.|
|Big Clock||Alexandra||A large clock on the hill overlooking the town.|
|Big Crayfish||Kaikoura||The logo of the Lobster Inn Motel.|
|Big Doughnut||Springfield||2007||3.5 m (11 ft)||A doughnut set up to promote The Simpsons Movie.|
|The Five Clydesdales||Clinton||A group of (slightly) larger-than-life-sized Clydesdale horses.|
|Big Fruit||Cromwell||1989||13 m (43 ft)||An apricot, apple, pear and nectarine.|
|Big Paua (abalone) ||Riverton||Giant Paua Shell just past eastern bridge into the town.|
|Big Salmon||Rakaia||12 m (39 ft)|
|Big Sandfly||Pukekura ||A sandfly mounted outside The Bushmans Centre.|
|Big Sausage||Tuatapere||3 m (10 ft)||A big sausage atop a fork, awarded to the town in September 2015 by the ZM radio show Fletch, Vaughan and Megan.|
|Surfer Riding a Wave||Colac Bay||Big statue of surfer riding a wave|
|Big Takahe||Te Anau||~ 2.2 m (7.2 ft)||Big statue of the takahē, an endangered, flightless bird indigenous to New Zealand's South Island.|
|Big Trout and Big guitar||Gore||A brown trout. Central Gore also has a giant guitar, honouring the town's status as the unofficial capital of country and western music in New Zealand.|
- Cunningham, Matthew (17 May 2010). "Small towns have big things". Salient.
- Phillips, Jock (14 November 2012). "Country towns - New developments, 1990 onward". Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- "Bulls puns – Country towns – Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand". Teara.govt.nz. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "Ohakune's big carrot turns twenty next month". Wanganui Chronicle. 21 September 2004. Archived from the original on 16 November 2012.
- "World's Biggest Carrot and Gumboot are in New Zealand". Vagabond Quest. 24 August 2010. Archived from the original on 16 November 2012.
- "Another big reason to visit NZ". The Dominion Post. 1 November 2007. Archived from the original on 16 November 2012.
- "The L and P Bottle". Positive Paeroa. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011.
- "Signs of ingenuity". The Sydney Morning Herald. 12 November 2005.
- Eleven, Beck (28 September 2009). "D'oh! Springfield's giant Simpsons doughnut gets toasted". The Press. Retrieved 22 November 2009.
- "Clydesdale statue – Horses – Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand". Teara.govt.nz. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "State Highway 6". Cromwell District Promotion Group. Archived from the original on 28 July 2013. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "Big Paua : Image". Images.travelpod.com. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "Town builds on its fishy reputation". One News. 27 June 2010.
-  Archived December 2, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- Nichol, Tess (18 September 2015). "Radio hosts unveil big sausage in Tuatapere". New Zealand Herald.
- "Gore Town Trout Sculpture With Welcome Sign Southland New Zealand". New Zealand Pictures. Archived from the original on 5 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Big Things of New Zealand.|
- "NZ's big statues and signs" – photographs of ten Big Things.