List of New Zealand submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
New Zealand submitted a film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film for the first time in 2011. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. It was not created until the 1956 Academy Awards, in which a competitive Academy Award of Merit, known as the Best Foreign Language Film Award, was created for non-English speaking films, and has been given annually since.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by New Zealand for review by the Academy for the award by year and the respective Academy Awards ceremony.
|Film title used in nomination||Original title||Language(s)||Director||Result|
|The Orator||O Le Tulafale||Samoan||Tamasese, TusiTusi Tamasese||Not Nominated|
|White Lies||Tuakiri Huna||Maori||Rotberg, DanaDana Rotberg||Not Nominated|
|The Dead Lands||The Dead Lands||Maori||Fraser, ToaToa Fraser||Not Nominated|
|A Flickering Truth||Dari||Brettkelly, PietraPietra Brettkelly||Not Nominated|
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- Bulbeck, Pip (2011-09-29). "'The Orator' Named New Zealand's First Foreign-Language Oscar Entry". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2011-09-29.
- "New Zealand submits Samoan film to Oscars". BBC News. 2011-10-14.
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award" (PDF). Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 August 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-21.
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. Archived from the original on 21 May 2012. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Oscars: New Zealand picks ‘White Lies’ for Foreign-Language Race". Variety. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- "Oscars: New Zealand Selects 'The Dead Lands' as Foreign-Language Candidate". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- Bulbeck, Pip (21 September 2016). "Oscars: New Zealand Selects 'A Flickering Truth' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 21 September 2016.