List of PEN literary awards
This is a list of awards sponsored by International PEN centres. There are over 145 PEN centres on the world, some of which hold annual literary awards. The PEN American Center awards have been characterized as being among the "major" literary awards in America.
|PEN Award for Poetry in Translation||To honor a poetry translation||1996||Active|
|PEN/Bellwether Prize||For a previously unpublished work of fiction that address issues of social justice.||2000||Active|
|PEN/Diamonstein-Spielvogel Award for the Art of the Essay||For a book of original collected essays||1990||Active|
|PEN/Edward and Lily Tuck Award for Paraguayan Literature||To honor an author of a major work of Paraguayan literature and the English translator.||2012||Active|
|PEN/E. O. Wilson Literary Science Writing Award||For writing that exemplifies literary excellence on the subject of physical and biological sciences.||2011||Active|
|PEN/ESPN Award for Literary Sports Writing||To honor a nonfiction book about sports.||2010||Active|
|PEN/ESPN Lifetime Achievement Award for Literary Sports Writing||To honor an authors body of work and long-term contributions to the field of literary sports writing.||2011||Active|
|PEN/Fusion Emerging Writers Prize||Recognizes a promising young writer of an unpublished work of nonfiction that addresses a global and/or multicultural issue||2015||Active|
|PEN/Jacqueline Bograd Weld Award for Biography||To honor a "distinguished biography possessing notable literary merit which has been published in the United States during the previous calendar year."||2008||Active|
|PEN/Jean Stein Book Award||To "a book that has broken new ground and signals strong potential for lasting influence."||2016||Active|
|PEN/John Kenneth Galbraith Award||To a distinguished book of general nonfiction that possess the qualities of intellectual rigor, perspicuity of expression, and stylistic elegance conspicuous in the writings of author and economist John Kenneth Galbraith.||2007||Active|
|PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award for Poetry||In recognition of a book of poetry with high literary character by a new and emerging American poet of any age with the promise of further literary achievement.||1999||Active|
|PEN/Laura Pels International Foundation for Theater Awards||To a Grand Master of American Theater and a playwright in mid-career.||1998||Active|
|PEN/Nabokov Award||To writers, principally novelists, "whose works evoke to some measure Nabokov's brilliant versatility and commitment to literature as a search for the deepest truth and the highest pleasure".||2000–2008; 2017–||Active|
|PEN/Nora Magid Award for Magazine Editing||To "a magazine editor whose high literary standards and taste have, throughout his or her career, contributed significantly to the excellence of the publication he or she edits."||1993||Active|
|PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories||Annual American award given to short stories of exceptional merit.||1919||Active|
|PEN Open Book Award||To books published in the United States (but without citizenship or residency requirements) by "authors of color who have not received wide media coverage".||1991||Active|
|PEN/Phyllis Naylor Working Writer Fellowship||To a writer of children's or young-adult fiction of high literary caliber "at a crucial moment in his or her career to complete a book-length work-in-progress."||2001||Active|
|PEN/Ralph Manheim Medal for Translation||To a translator "whose career has demonstrated a commitment to excellence through the body of his or her work".||1982||Active|
|PEN/Robert J. Dau Short Story Prize for Emerging Writers||Recognizes 12 emerging fiction writers each year for their debut short story||2016||Active|
|PEN/Robert W. Bingham Prize||To "exceptionally talented fiction writers whose debut work—a first novel or collection of short stories...represent distinguished literary achievement and suggests great promise."||2002||Active|
|PEN/Saul Bellow Award for Achievement in American Fiction||To "a distinguished living American author of fiction whose body of work in English possesses qualities of excellence, ambition, and scale of achievement over a sustained career which place him or her in the highest rank of American literature."||2007||Active|
|PEN Translation Fund Grants||Grants are awarded each year to a select number of literary translators||2003||Active|
|PEN Translation Prize||To outstanding translations into the English language.||1963||Active|
|PEN/Voelcker Award for Poetry||To an American poet whose distinguished and growing body of work to date represents a notable and accomplished presence in American literature.||1994||Active|
|PEN/Barbara Goldsmith Freedom to Write Award||Honours writers anywhere in the world who have fought courageously in the face of adversity for the right to freedom of expression.||1987–2015||Inactive|
|PEN/Steven Kroll Award||"to acknowledge the distinct literary contributions of picture book writers."||2012–2014||Inactive|
|PEN/W.G. Sebald Award||To honor a promising writer who has published three works of fiction.||2010–2011||Inactive|
|PEN Emerging Writers Awards||To up-and-coming authors whose writing have been featured in distinguished literary journals, but haven't published book-length works.||2011–2011||Inactive|
|PEN/Amazon.com Short Story Award||Unpublished writers submit original short story manuscripts. Each manuscript will compete for a $10,000 cash grant and publication at Amazon.com and in The Boston Book Review. Award active for one year.||2000–2000||Inactive|
|Architectural Digest Award for Literary Writing on the Visual Arts||For literary writing on the visual arts. Award active for two years.||2000–2001||Inactive|
|Gregory Kolovakos Award||To a U.S. literary translator, editor, or critic "whose work, in meeting the challenge of cultural difference, extends Gregory Kolovakos's commitment to the richness of Hispanic literature and to expanding its English-language audience".||1992–2004||Inactive|
|Jerard Fund Award||Honors a work in progress of general nonfiction distinguished by high literary quality by a woman at the midpoint in her career. Presented every 2 years.||2001–2005||Inactive|
|Martha Albrand Award for the Art of the Memoir||For a first published memoir.||1998–2006||Inactive|
|Martha Albrand Award for First Nonfiction||For an American author's first-published book of general nonfiction.||1989–2006||Inactive|
|PEN/Katherine Anne Porter First Amendment Award||To a U.S. resident "who has fought courageously, despite adversity, to safeguard the First Amendment right to freedom of expression as it applies to the written word." The award succeeded the PEN/Newman's Own First Amendment Award||2008–2008||Inactive|
|PEN/Newman's Own First Amendment Award||To a U.S. resident who "fought courageously, despite adversity, to safeguard the First Amendment right to freedom of expression as it applies to the written word."||1993–2006||Inactive|
|Renato Poggioli Translation Award||For a translator at work on an English-language version of Italian literature.||1991–2000 (?)||Inactive|
|Roger Klein Award for Career Achievement||To a trade book editor every two years for "distinguished editorial achievement."||1971–2000 (?)||Inactive|
|Roger Klein Award for Editing||An honor "given [every two years] to an outstanding editor in trade hardcover publishing."||1971–2000 (?)||Inactive|
|PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction||To the authors of the year's best works of fiction by living American citizens.||1981||Active|
|PEN/Malamud Award||Honors "excellence in the art of the short story."||1988||Active|
|Annual Literary Awards||Awards presented in 12 categories: Lifetime Achievement, Award of Honor, Freedom to Write, First Amendment, Award of Merit, Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, Research Nonfiction, Poetry, Children's and Young Adult Literature, Translation, Journalism, Drama, Teleplay, Screenplay, UC Press Exceptional First Book Award.||2000||Active|
|Laurence L. & Thomas Winship/PEN New England Award||To honor a New England author or book with a New England setting or subject.||1975||Active|
|Hemingway Foundation/PEN Award||To a novel or book of short stories by an American author who has not previously published a book of fiction.||1976||Active|
|PEN Song Lyrics Award||to a singer songwriter, for Song Lyrics of Literary Excellence||2012||Active|
|Vasyl Stus Freedom-to-Write Award||Recognizes a writer persecuted for the peaceful expression of his or her views and whose courage in the face of censorship and oppression is exemplary.||(?)||Active|
|Susan P. Bloom Children's Book Discovery Award||Given to a New England resident for an unpublished work in one of four categories of children’s literature: picture books, novels, poetry, and nonfiction.||(?)||Active|
|Henry David Thoreau Prize||Awarded annually to a writer demonstrating literary excellence in nature writing.||(?)||Active|
|Friend to Writers Award||To one individual and one organization whose commitment to a culture of literature and the free and open exchange of ideas personifies PEN’s core mission.||(?)||Active|
|Howard Zinn Award||Presented to an American writer for speaking truth to power.||(?)||Active|
|PEN Oakland/Josephine Miles Literary Award||In order to "promote works of excellence by writers of all cultural and racial backgrounds and to educate both the public and the media as to the nature of multi-cultural work."||1989||Active|
|PEN Oakland/Censorship Award||Honors authors of literature of conscience who may have suffered censorship, efforts to discredit or failure to distribute/review their work based on philosophical or cultural content.||1997||Active|
|PEN Oakland/Lockett Lifetime Achievement Award||In honor of PEN Oakland Vice President Reginald Lockett who died in 2008.||2006||Active|
|PEN/Pinter Prize||Awarded annually to a British writer or a writer resident in Britain of outstanding literary merit who, in the words of Harold Pinter’s Nobel speech, casts an ‘unflinching, unswerving’ gaze upon the world, and shows a ‘fierce intellectual determination … to define the real truth of our lives and our societies’.||2009||Active|
|Golden PEN Award||A Lifetime's Distinguished Service to Literature is presented annually to a British Writer.||1993||Active|
|Hessell-Tiltman Prize||Awarded annually for a non-fiction book of specifically historical content. Entrants, which may include first British translations, are to be books of high literary merit – that is, not primarily written for the academic market – and can cover all historical periods up to and including the Second World War.||2002||Active|
|PEN/Ackerley Prize||To a literary autobiography of excellence, written by an author of British nationality and published during the preceding year, for which it is felt that J.R. Ackerley would have expressed enthusiasm.||1982||Active|
|PEN/Macmillan Silver Pen Award||Awarded annually to a collection of short stories.||1985–2001(?)||Inactive|
|Irish PEN Award||To honour an Irish-born writer who has made an outstanding contribution to Irish Literature.||1999||Active|
|Portuguese PEN Club Prize ||Awards in four categories: Prose Fiction/Novel, Poetry, Essay and Literary Translation.||1980||Active|
|Oxfam Novib/PEN Award||To recognise writers who have been persecuted for their work and continue working despite the consequences.||2001||Active|
|David T.K. Wong Prize for Short Fiction ||Unpublished stories, written in English, submitted through any worldwide PEN center. Awarded bi-annually.||2000/1 to 2004/5||Inactive|
|Sydney PEN Award||Presented annually to a Sydney PEN member who has worked especially hard to promote the Centre’s values and the PEN Charter.||2006||Active|
|PEN Keneally Award||For recognizing an achievement in promoting freedom of expression, international understanding and access to literature.||2004||Active|
|Hermann Kesten Prize||Presented annually for outstanding efforts in support of persecuted writers.||1985||Active|
|Janus Pannonius International Poetry Prize||Presented to an international poet whose oeuvre fits into the mainstream of European culture.||2012||Active|
|Ossietzky Prize||For outstanding achievements within the field of freedom of expression||2001||Active|
- Alfred Bendixen (2005). "Literary Prizes and Awards". The Continuum Encyclopedia of American Literature. Continuum International Publishing Group. p. 689.
- Schaub, Michael (July 20, 2016). "PEN America launches $75,000 book prize, one of the country's biggest". Los Angeles Times.
- "PEN/Amazon.com Short Story Award Introduced". The Write News. Feb 9, 2009. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "PEN/Amazon.com Short Story Award". PEN American Center. Archived from the original on October 19, 2012. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- CELIA MCGEE (November 12, 2012). "Mehta Merge Master At Knopf". New York Daily News. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Architectural Digest Award for Literary Writing on the Visual Arts Winners". PEN American Center. Archived from the original on October 19, 2012. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Jerard Fund Award". PEN American Center. Archived from the original on October 14, 2008. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Martha Albrand Award for the Art of the Memoir". PEN American Center. Archived from the original on December 20, 2009. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Martha Albrand Award for First Nonfiction". PEN American Center. Archived from the original on September 1, 2012. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Times editors (April 27, 2008). "Laura Berg's Letter". New York Times. Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- "Renato Poggioli Translation Award". PEN American Center. Archived from the original on October 19, 2012. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Roger Klein Award for Career Achievement". PEN American Center. Archived from the original on 2012-10-19.
- "Willen Wins PEN/Klein Award". Publishers Weekly. February 22, 2009. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Roger Klein Award for Editing Winners". PEN American Center. Archived from the original on October 19, 2012. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "P.E.N. Awards Given To 2 Publishing Figures". New York Times. November 27, 1984. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "PEN Center USA 2011 awards to feature Dave Eggers, Robert Pinksy". LA Times. September 7, 2011. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "PEN Center USA Awards Center". PEN Center USA. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "PEN/Song Lyrics Award". PEN New England. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "Vasyl Stus Freedom-to-Write Award". PEN New England. Archived from the original on February 11, 2012. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Susan P. Bloom Children's Book Discovery Award". PEN New England. Archived from the original on September 11, 2011. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Henry David Thoreau Prize". PEN New England. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Friend to Writers Award". PEN New England. Archived from the original on September 11, 2011. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "The Howard Zinn Award". PEN New England. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "PEN Oakland Awards". PEN Oakland. Archived from the original on January 4, 2013. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "PEN Pinter Prize". English PEN. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Golden Pen Award". English PEN. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Hessell-Tiltman Prize". English PEN. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "PEN/Ackerley Prize". English PEN. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Andrew Maunder (2007). "Awards and Prizes". The Facts On File Companion to the British Short Story. Infobase Publishing. p. 24.
- Portuguese Society of Authors (15 December 2008). "Speech delivered by the President of the Republic at the award Ceremony of the Portuguese PEN Club Literary Prizes". Presidency of the Portuguese Republic. Retrieved September 2, 2012.
- "David T.K.Wong Prize". Archived from the original on 11 May 2008. Retrieved 2012-09-02.
- "The Sydney PEN Award". Sydney PEN. Archived from the original on March 17, 2012. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "PEN Keneally Award". Sydney PEN. Archived from the original on March 17, 2012. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- "Ossietzky Prize". norskpen.no. Retrieved November 27, 2016.