List of Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel, 2001
|Palestinian rocket attacks|
|Regional Council areas hit|
|Settlements hit (evacuated)|
|Defense and response|
This is a list of Palestinian rocket and mortar attacks on Israel in 2001. Almost all of the incidents were mortar attacks, as the Qassam rocket was first launched on July 10 of the year, and first used against civilian targets in October and November, when four rockets were fired on Sderot in Israel and various Gush Katif settlements in the Gaza Strip.
In 2001, Israel maintained a military and civilian presence in the Gaza Strip. This list includes attacks on Israel proper and on Israeli civilian communities in the Gaza Strip, but not on Israeli military targets in the territory. Israel withdrew completely from the territory in 2005.
- January 30
- Palestinians fired a mortar shell at a house in Netzarim in the Gaza Strip. This was the first time Palestinians had used a ballistic weapon against a Jewish settlement. The shell penetrated the house's roof but was stopped by a concrete ceiling. The family members living in the house were on the ground floor at the time, and there were no injuries.
- February 10
- During the night, Palestinians fired a mortar shell at a house in the town of Netzarim. There were no injuries. Israeli settlers began to set up new bomb shelters and stockpile food amid fears that the attacks were heralding an all-out war.
- February 22
- In the evening, Palestinians fired four mortar shells at the towns of Dugit and Elei Sinai in the Gaza Strip. Israel responded the following day by destroying two Palestinian police stations.
- March 4
- Palestinians fired what appeared to be mortar shells at Netzarim. No injuries were reported.
- March 8
- In the evening, Palestinians fired two mortar shells at Netzarim. There were no injuries, but residents were instructed to enter bomb shelters.
- March 17
- Shortly after midnight, Palestinians in Khan Yunis fired an anti-tank missile at the Neve Dekalim industrial zone in the Gaza Strip.
- March 18
- In the evening, Palestinians fired three mortar shells from the Gaza Strip at the Israeli farming community of Nahal Oz, wounding a soldier. This was the first Palestinian ballistic attack on Israel proper in the Second Intifada.
- March 21
- In the evening, Palestinian Authority Force 17 fighters fired two mortar shells at the town of Morag in the Gaza Strip and three mortar shells at Netzarim. Israel responded by firing mortars at a nearby Palestinian police post, killing an officer.
- March 26
- In the evening, Palestinians fired three mortar shells at Morag. No injuries were reported.
- April 3
- Palestinians fired three mortar shells into the village of Atzmona in the Gaza Strip. The shrapnel from one of the mortars sprayed a 10-month-old baby and his mother, critically wounding the baby and lightly wounding the mother. A group calling itself "Hezbollah-Palestine" claimed responsibility. Israel responded with airstrikes on several Palestinian Authority police buildings.
- April 6
- Palestinians fired mortars on three unspecified Israeli settlements and one communal farm in Israel. There were no injuries. Israel responded with airstrikes on two Palestinian police stations.
- April 7
- On the eve of Passover, Palestinians fired a mortar shell at Elei Sinai. There were no injuries.
- April 8
- Late in the first day of Passover, Palestinians fired five mortar shells at Nahal Oz and an adjacent IDF post. Israel responded by shelling Palestinian security headquarters at Beit Lahiya in the northern Gaza Strip.
- April 9
- In the afternoon of the second day of Passover, Palestinians fired a mortar shell at Atzmona. A school in the community was damaged, but there were no injuries.
- April 10
- On the third day of Passover, Palestinians fired two mortar shells at the town of Katif in the Gaza Strip, causing no injuries. Israel responded by rocketing the Palestinian Naval Police headquarters in Gaza City and a military intelligence building in Deir el-Balah, killing a police doctor. Later in the day, Palestinians fired additional mortars at Nisanit. Israel responded by firing on a Palestinian police station in the northern Gaza Strip.
- April 11
- In the evening of the fourth day of Passover, Palestinians fired mortars shells at the towns of Nisanit and Kfar Darom in the Gaza Strip and at Kibbutz Netiv HaAsara in Israel.
- April 15
- After dark, Palestinians fired four mortar shells at the towns of Netzer Hazani and Katif in the Gaza Strip.causing no injuries.
- April 16
- Palestinians fired four mortar shells on the city of Sderot in Israel, causing no injuries or damage. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack. Israel responded by seizing Palestinian-controlled areas in the Gaza Strip and rocketing Palestinian military installations, killing a Palestinian policeman.
- April 18
- In the morning, Palestinians fired mortars at Nisanit. Hamas claimed responsibility, saying the attack was "dedicated" to the families of Syrian soldiers killed in a radar position in Lebanon. After nightfall, Palestinians fired five additional mortars at the village of Nir Am in Israel and at Kfar Darom.
- April 19
- In the afternoon, Palestinians fired two mortar shells which landed between Atzmona and Morag. There were no injuries. Israel did not respond to the attack.
- April 24
- After a respite of several days from mortar attacks, in the early evening Palestinians in Khan Yunis fired three mortar shells at the town of Gadid in the Gaza Strip. There were no injuries but a hothouse was damaged.
- April 28
- Palestinians fired five mortars at the village of Netzer Hazani in the Gaza Strip, hitting a recreation center and wounding six civilian youths, one seriously. A previously unknown group called The Four Martyrs, which claimed affiliation with Fatah, took responsibility for the attack, saying it was a retaliation for a recent blast in the Gaza Strip in which four Fatah activists were killed. Fatah itself disavowed the attack and denied knowledge of the group. Israel did not respond to the attack.
- May 7
- Palestinians fired four mortar shells on Kfar Aza. No injuries or damage were reported. Israel responded by destroying a Palestinian police post.
- May 11
- Palestinians fired six mortar shells at unspecified Israeli settlements and towns.
- May 15
- In the morning, Hamas militants were firing mortars at Kfar Aza when they were killed by IDF tank fire. After nightfall, Palestinians a mortar shell from Deir el-Ballah that hit the roof of a house in Kfar Darom, causing damage but no injuries. Two others mortars landed inside Israel near Kibbutz Nir Am.
- May 17
- Palestinians fired three mortar shells at two Jewish communities. One landed inside Israel, near Nir Am, and another landed at the entrance to Netzarim. In the evening, a third shell exploded in the backyard of a family home in Netzer Hazani, damaging the house. The family was not in the home at the time because they were visiting their son, who was wounded in the April 28 youth club shelling. Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the attacks on Nir Am and Netzer Hazani.
- May 18
- After daybreak, Palestinians fired a mortar shell at Gadid, which exploded among the community's greenhouses.
- May 22
- Palestinians fired three mortar shells into Israel, all of which exploded in open areas. No injuries or damage were reported.
- May 24
- In the morning, Palestinians fired two mortar shells on Netzarim. There were no injuries.
- June 1
- Early in the day, Palestinians fired four mortar shells that exploded near greenhouses in the Israeli settlement of Slav in the Gaza Strip.
- June 3
- After nightfall, Palestinians fired two mortar shells toward Kfar Darom. There were no injuries.
- June 7
- After nightfall, Palestinians fired four mortar shells at Ganei Tal. There were no injuries.
- June 8
- Palestinians fired two mortar shells on Atzmona and Rafiah Yam. There were no injuries or damage. Israel responded by firing two anti-tank shells on a Palestinian Force 17 position.
- June 10
- Palestinians fired eight mortar shells at two unspecified Gaza Strip settlements.
- June 13
- In the evening, several hours after a ceasefire went into effect, Palestinians fired a mortar shell at Atzmona.
- June 14
- With the ceasefire still in effect, Palestinians fired five mortar shells at Morag after nightfall. Fatah claimed responsibility.
- June 18
- After nightfall, Palestinians fired four mortar shells at the Neve Dekalim industrial area.
- June 21
- Palestinians fired a 120mm mortar shell at an unspecified village in Israel, breaking car windows. It was the first time that this large shell type had been used.
- July 4
- Palestinians fired a mortar shell on an unspecified settlement.
- July 10
- Palestinians fired a mortar shell on an unspecified farming community in Israel. There were no injuries.
- July 17
- Early in the morning, Palestinians fired two mortar shells at Morag and Netzer Hazani.
- Palestinians in Beit Jalla in the West Bank fired two mortar shells at the Gilo neighborhood of East Jerusalem. This was the first attack of its type in the area, though numerous shooting attacks from Beit Jalla had taken place previously.
- July 27
- In the evening, Palestinians fired mortar shells at Gadid. Israel responded by destroying a Palestinian munitions factory.
- July 31
- Palestinians fired rwo mortar shells at Netzarim and at least one mortar at Rafiah Yam. In the evening, Palestinians fired two mortar shells at Atzmona. There were no injuries.
- Rocket threat from the Gaza Strip, 2000-2007, ITIC 12-2007
- Anthony H. Cordesman, Arab-Israeli military forces in an era of asymmetric wars, Greenwood 2006, pp.325-326
- Palestinians fire mortar at Jewish settlement - TV, Israel TV 30-01-2001
- "UN begins Mideast inquiry". Television New Zealand. 11 February 2001. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- Gaza Strip settlers fear all-out war, Telegraph 18-02-2001
- Sharon, Barak agree to form unity government, Associated Press 16-02-2001
- Palestinians burn US flags on eve of Powell visit, Victoria Advocate 24-02-2001
- Palestinians suicide bomber kills four, injures 50 in Israel, Associated Press 05-03-2001
- Sharon, Arafat both raise possibility of peace talks, Daily Gazette 09-03-2001
- Mortar attack on Nahal Oz, Jerusalem Post 19-03-2001
- Israel lashes out at Palestinian leadership, Associated Press 20-03-2001
- Foot-and-Mouth Disease Adds to Woes of West Bank, Jerusalem Post 18-03-2001
- Sharon vows to hit back at militants, Associated Press 23-03-2001
- Netzarim, Morag shelled by Force 17 men, Jerusalem Post 23-03-2001
- Gunfire from hill kills baby held by her father, Associated Press 27-03-2001
- Mortars fired at Morag, Jerusalem Post 27-03-2001
- Israeli helicopters attack Palestinian targets in Gaza, Associated Press 04-04-2001
- Israel snatches 2 from Palestinian area, Associated Press 07-04-2001
- Violence complicates Passover, The Dispatch 07-04-2001
- Palestinians shell Israelis on both sides of the Green Line, Jerusalem Post 09-04-2001
- Palestinian death sparks more violence in West Bank, RTÉ News 09-04-2001
- Landau calls for 'hourly' reprisals against PA. Gazan mortars fall on Atzmona, Jerusalem Post 10-04-2001
- Israel hits Palestinian targets in response to mortar fire, Associated Press 11-04-2001
- Settlements shelled following raid, Jerusalem Post 12-04-2001
- Gaza, Hebron attacks continue, Jerusalem Post 16-04-2001
- Israel seizes Palestinian-controlled areas in Gaza Strip, Associated Press 17-04-2001
- Israel flattens Palestinians police station, 19-04-2001
- Mideast: Hamas says settlement mortar attack "dedicated"to Syrian soldiers, Palestinian Information Center 18-04-2001
- Mideast: Mortar attacks continue, no casualties - Israel radio, Voice of Israel 19-04-2001
- Full closure imposed; security forces on high alert, Jerusalem Post 25-04-2001
- Six wounded in Israeli settlement by mortar fired from Gaza Strip, Voice of Israel 28-04-2001
- Five Israelis injured in attack, Tuscaloosa News 29-04-2001
- Jewish settlement shelled, Washington Post 29-04-2001
- Renewed violence kills eight, Associated Press 01-05-2001
- Mortar shells fall inside Israel amid criticism of government, The Vindicator 04-05-2001
- 1 Palestinian killed in clash with Israel, Associated Press 07-05-2001
- IDF denies Palestinian baby wounded by tank fire, Jerusalem Post 10-05-2001
- Israeli rocket attack caps bloody week, Los Angeles Times 12-05-2001
- Mortar crew killed in Gaza Strip, Mortar crew killed in Gaza Strip, Jerusalem Post 16-05-2001
- 4 Palestinians killed in Al-Nakba violence; mortars hit inside Israel, Jerusalem Post 16-05-2001
- IDF takes search for missing man into PA areas, Jerusalem Post 18-05-2001
- Gaza Strip violence rages on, Associated Press 19-05-2001
- Off-duty IDF officer killed in ambush, Jerusalem Post 20-05-2001
- Palestinians refuse offer, hold out for settlement freeze, Associated Press 23-05-2001
- Israel: Army makes brief incursion into Palestinian areas, Voice of Israel 24-05-2001
- Mideast: Palestinians use mortar bombs against Israelis in Gaza - Israel radio, Voice of Israel 27-05-2001
- Israeli radio reports mortars, shooting attacks in Gaza, Voice of Israel 30-05-2001
- Mideast violence persists, Associated Press 01-06-2001
- Mortars fired at settlement only "violent incident"in Gaza - Israel radio, Voice of Israel 03-06-2010
- Six mortar shells fired in Gaza Strip, Jerusalem Post 08-06-2001
- Israeli missiles blast PA security facilities in Gaza, Haaretz 09-06-2001
- U.S. Pushes for Cease-Fire in Middle East, New York Times 11-06-2001
- Palestinians fire mortars on Gaza settlement - Israel radio, Voice of Israel 12-06-2001
- Next 48 hours crucial for cease-fire, Associated Press 14-06-2001
- Three Israelis said wounded in West Bank shooting; mortars in Gaza Strip, Voice of Israel 15-06-2001
- Meeting to discuss ceasefire, Associated Press 15-06-2001
- Israel arrests settlers for planning attacks; mortars fired on settlement, Voice of Israel 19-06-2001
- Violence in Mideast strains fragile ceasefire, Associated Press 20-06-2001
- Israeli opposition to truce increasing, Associated Press 22-06-2001
- Violence persists as Israelis, Palestinians argue over start of test period of cease-fire, Associated Press 29-06-2001
- Prospects for Mideast peace appear bleak, outgoing ambassador says, Associated Press 05-07-2001
- Palestinian boy reported killed in Gaza clash, Jerusalem Post 08-07-2001
- "Violence continues despite truce". Television New Zealand. 11 July 2001. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- IDF defuses roadside bombs in Jordan Valley, Jerusalem Post 18-07-2001
- Israeli missiles kill Hamas activists, Associated Press 18-07-2001
- Israeli forces boost West Bank positions, Associated Press 18-07-2001
- Palestinians fire mortars at Israeli targets, Voice of Israel 18-07-2001
- Israelis strike back, Tuscaloosa News 28-07-2001
- Israeli missiles target Gaza weapons factory, India Express 28-07-2001
- Six Palestinians killed in blast; Israel attacks police compound, Associated Press 31-07-2001
- Israel attacks Hamas offices, Associated Press 31-07-2010
- Israeli radio reports clashes in West Bank, Gaza, voice of Israel 31-07-2001