List of Peanuts characters
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Character||Date Introduced||Last appearance||Character traits|
|Charlie Brown||1950-10-02October 2, 1950||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||The main character, an everyman with ever-changing mood and grace; both befriended by all and ostracised by everyone; a loser-yet-leader who rises out of every downfall with shining hope and determination.|
|Patty||1950-10-02October 2, 1950||1985-11-22November 27, 1997||An early character who never developed a significant personality of her own. After her first few years as the strip's token female, by the mid-1960s she faded into the background, making only widely-spaced background or minor appearances.|
|Shermy||1950-10-02October 2, 1950||1969-06-15June 15, 1969||An early character, Charlie Brown's best friend and straight man before Linus, Schroeder and Franklin came into the picture. Appeared with rapidly decreasing frequency from late 1952, and seen only in widely-spaced cameos by the 1960s.|
|Snoopy||1950-10-04October 4, 1950||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Charlie Brown's pet dog, a beagle. Intelligent beyond his species, he is independent-minded and prone to fantasies.|
|Violet Gray||1951-02-07February 7, 1951||1985-11-22November 27, 1997||Lucy's and Patty's best friend; a mean and snobby girl; served as an early love interest of Charlie Brown. Often seen with Patty, like that character Violet was slowly phased out of the strip though the 1950s, thereafter making only very infrequent cameo appearances.|
|Schroeder||1951-05-30May 30, 1951||1999-09-12September 12, 1999||A piano-playing character; Lucy's love interest; admirer of Beethoven; Charlie Brown's second best friend after Linus.|
|Lucy Van Pelt||1952-03-03March 3, 1952||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Linus' older sister; a bossy, crabby girl who sometimes torments Charlie Brown; and has a crush on Schroeder.|
|Linus Van Pelt||1952-09-19September 19, 1952||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Lucy's younger brother; Charlie Brown's blanket-toting best friend; Sally's love interest; the most insecure but the smartest out of all the characters, with the most intellectualism; a philosopher and theologian.|
|Pig-Pen||1954-07-13July 13, 1954||1999-09-08September 8, 1999||The character who attracts dust, making him very filthy. In one comic strip, Pig-Pen is walking with Violet walking behind him. At the end of that strip, Violet says, "Pig-Pen, you're the only person I know who can get dirty just by walking down the street."|
|Sally Brown||1959-08-23August 23, 1959||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Charlie Brown's younger sister who has a crush on Linus; often complains or overreacts to situations.|
|Frieda||1961-03-06March 6, 1961||1985-11-22November 22, 1985||The girl who brags about her "naturally curly hair" and is quite obsessed about her beauty. Phased out starting in the late 1960s, and made only background appearances after 1975.|
|Woodstock||1966-03-17March 4, 1966||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Snoopy's best friend; a tiny yellow bird. Schulz did not give him a name until June 22, 1970.|
|Peppermint Patty||1966-08-22August 22, 1966||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||A freckle-faced tomboy who loves Charlie Brown; calls him 'Chuck'; leader of a baseball team and one of Charlie Brown's rival managers.|
|Franklin||1968-07-31July 31, 1968||1999-09-12November 5, 1999||An African-American child; was initially bemused by the strange things in Charlie Brown's neighborhood; has smarts comparable to Linus; plays on Peppermint Patty's baseball team.|
|Marcie||1968-06-18July 20, 1971||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||A mild-mannered and bookish girl; Peppermint Patty's best friend despite their very different personalities; calls her "Sir"; secretly likes Charlie Brown|
|Rerun Van Pelt||1973-03-26March 26, 1973||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Younger brother of Linus and Lucy; frequently rides on the back of his mother's bicycle; often takes his siblings' places and roles.|
|Eudora||1978-06-13June 13, 1978||1987-06-13June 13, 1987||Sally's best friend; a girl she met at a camp who then moved down the street.|
|Peggy Jean||1990-07-23July 23, 1990||1999-07-11July 11, 1999||Charlie Brown's girlfriend in the 1990s after the Little Red-Haired Girl.|
A list of the minor characters.
- Roy: Friend of Peppermint Patty and Franklin; seen at camp with Charlie Brown.
- 555 95472: A boy close in age to Charlie Brown and Linus; given a numerical name by his father.
- Charlotte Braun: An early, short-lived female version of Charlie Brown.
- Kite-Eating Tree: A large tree that eats kites; often depicted with large teeth and grins.
- Spike: A brother of Snoopy.
- José Peterson
- Miss Othmar: The kids' teacher.
- Adults implied in the strip (but not seen) include: all of the characters' parents; Linus van Pelt's teacher Miss Othmar; Miss Halverson (Miss Othmar's replacement); Charlie Brown's baseball hero Joe Shlabotnik; and Linus's blanket-hating grandmother. Adults in most of the Peanuts animated cartoons are only heard by the unintelligible (to the audience) sounds of a trombone (wah-wah-wah).
- The Little Red-Haired Girl (Charlie Brown's crush), seen in many animated television specials where she was known as "Heather", but was never seen in the strip itself (except once in silhouette).
- The Great Pumpkin, a holiday figure whom Linus believes to appear in the most sincere pumpkin patch to deliver presents to good children, but never confirmed to be real and is likely a legendary creation of Linus's imagination.
- The Cat Next Door who often destroys Snoopy's house.
- The Red Baron, is the nemesis Snoopy fights while in the guise of a World War I Flying Ace complete with goggles, helmet and scarf. The battles occur while Snoopy is perched on his doghouse that becomes his Sopwith Camel plane through the power of his imagination. The battles between Snoopy and the Red Baron began in an October 10, 1965 Peanuts strip.
- Charles M. Schulz, The Complete Peanuts, 1967-1968, New York, Fantagraphic Books, pp. 41-42, 83, 207, 227-228.