List of Peanuts characters
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Character||Date Introduced||Last appearance||Character traits|
|Charlie Brown||1950-10-02October 2, 1950||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||The main character, an everyman with ever-changing mood and grace; both befriended by all and ostracised by everyone; a loser-yet-leader who rises out of every downfall with shining hope and determination.|
|Patty||1950-10-02October 2, 1950||1985-11-22November 27, 1997||An early character who sometimes bullies the others; served as an early love interest of Charlie Brown.|
|Shermy||1950-10-02October 2, 1950||1969-06-15June 15, 1969||An early character, served as a love interest of Patty.|
|Snoopy||1950-10-04October 4, 1950||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Charlie Brown's pet dog.|
|Violet Gray||1951-02-07February 7, 1951||1985-11-22November 27, 1997||Lucy's and Patty's best friend; a mean and snobby girl; served as an early love interest of Charlie Brown|
|Schroeder||1951-05-30May 30, 1951||1999-09-12September 12, 1999||A piano-playing character; Lucy's love interest; admirer of Beethoven; Charlie Brown's second best friend after Linus.|
|Lucy van Pelt||1952-03-03March 3, 1952||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Linus' older sister; a bossy, crabby girl who sometimes torments Charlie Brown; has a crush on Schroeder.|
|Linus van Pelt||1952-09-19September 19, 1952||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Charlie Brown's blanket-toting best friend; Sally's love interest; the most insecure but the smartest out of all the characters, with the most intellectualism; a philosopher and theologian.|
|Pig-Pen||1954-07-13July 13, 1954||1999-09-08September 8, 1999||The character who attracts dust, making him very filthy.|
|Sally Brown||1959-08-23August 23, 1959||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Charlie Brown's younger sister who has a crush on Linus; often complains about or overreacts to situations.|
|Frieda||1961-03-06March 6, 1961||1985-11-22November 22, 1985||The girl who brags about her "naturally curly hair" and is quite obsessed about her beauty.|
|Woodstock||1966-03-17March 04, 1966||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Snoopy's best friend; a tiny yellow bird.|
|Peppermint Patty||1966-08-22August 22, 1966||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||A freckle-faced tomboy who loves Charlie Brown; calls Charlie Brown 'Chuck'; leader of a baseball team and is one of Charlie Brown's rival managers.|
|Franklin||1968-07-31July 31, 1968||1999-09-12November 5, 1999||The African-American child; was initially bemused by the strange things in Charlie Brown's neighborhood; has smarts comparable to Linus; manages a baseball team that has rivaled Charlie Brown's.|
|Marcie||1968-06-18July 20, 1971||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||The bespectacled character; Peppermint Patty's best friend; calls Peppermint Patty "Sir"; secretly likes Charlie Brown|
|Rerun van Pelt||1973-03-26March 26, 1973||2000-02-13February 13, 2000||Younger brother of Linus and Lucy; frequently rode on the back of his mother's bicycle; often took his siblings' places and roles.|
|Eudora||1978-06-13June 13, 1978||1987-06-13June 13, 1987||A girl Sally met at a camp who moved down the street.|
|Peggy Jean||1990-07-23July 23, 1990||1999-07-11July 11, 1999||Charlie Brown's girlfriend in the 1990s after the Little Red-Haired Girl.|
Main article: List of minor characters in Peanuts
A list of some of the fairly prominent minor characters.
- Roy: Friend of Peppermint Patty and Franklin; seen at camp with Charlie Brown.
- Charlotte Braun: An early, short-lived female version of Charlie Brown.
- Kite-Eating Tree: A large tree that eats kites; often depicted with large teeth and grins.
- Spike: A brother of Snoopy.
- Adults implied in the strip (but not seen) include: all of the characters' parents; Linus van Pelt's teacher Miss Othmar; Miss Halverson (Miss Othmar's replacement); Charlie Brown's baseball hero Joe Shlabotnik; and Linus's blanket-hating grandmother. Adults in most of the Peanuts animated cartoons are only heard by the unintelligible (to the audience) sounds of a trombone (wah-wah-wah).
- The Little Red-Haired Girl (Charlie Brown's crush), seen in many animated television specials where she was known as "Heather", but was never seen in the strip itself (except once in silhouette).
- The Great Pumpkin, a holiday figure whom Linus believes to appear in the most sincere pumpkin patch to deliver presents to good children, but never confirmed to be real and is likely a legendary creation of Linus's imagination.
- The Cat Next Door who often destroys Snoopy's house.
- The Red Baron, is the nemesis Snoopy fights while in the guise of a World War I Flying Ace complete with goggles, helmet and scarf. The battles occur while Snoopy is perched on his doghouse that becomes his Sopwith Camel plane through the power of his imagination. The battles between Snoopy and the Red Baron began in an October 10, 1965 Peanuts strip.