List of Penn & Teller Tell a Lie episodes
|No. in series||No. in season||Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers (million)|
|1||1||"Head of Hair Can Lift a Mustang"||October 5, 2011||1.259|
|Claims about Airplanes, Alligators, Heat Shields, Tigers, Obscenity, Picking up girls, and Picking up mustangs.|
|2||2||"You Can Blow Out a Forest Fire"||October 12, 2011||1.025|
|Stories featuring Wing-walkers, Bacon, Wallpaper, Didgeridoos, "Mighty Cheese", Lasers, and Forest fires.|
|3||3||"Piranha Will Not Kill You"||October 19, 2011||1.185|
|Featuring gas tanks, wine, roadkill, eggs, robots, and piranha.|
|4||4||"You Can Fly Using Hair Bleach for Fuel"||October 26, 2011||1.596|
|Butter knife, termites, panning for gold, coin toss, crooked house, Peroxide rocket.|
|5||5||"Hook and Loop Fabric is Stronger than Two Monster Trucks"||November 2, 2011||1.256|
|Machine guns, Milk cloth, pizza in space, man vs horse, floating dessert, bottle game, Velcro.|
|6||6||"You Can Crack a Safe with Liquid Nitrogen"||November 9, 2011||0.970|
|Liquid Nitrogen, tattoos, highway music and echolocation.|
Originally aired on October 5, 2011
|You can land a plane by steering with its doors.||11%||True||N/A|
|B-Flat makes alligators hungry for love.||14%||True||N/A|
|The best heat shield is 99% air.||4%||True||N/A|
|A zookeeper was able to stop a tiger from killing him by stuffing his fist in its mouth, triggering the tiger's sensitive gag reflex and causing it to retreat.||50%||Lie||The security camera footage shows the entrance to the New York Public Library, rather than the zoo in which the story was supposedly held. The "victim" was also a Hollywood animal trainer and the tiger was from the movie Gladiator.|
|You can reduce pain with obscenity.||6%||True||N/A|
|Bodybuilders can't lift a 112-pound woman||11%||True||N/A|
|A head of hair can lift a Mustang||4%||True||N/A|
Originally aired on October 12, 2011
|A wing walker can light a match on an airborne plane.||11%||True||N/A|
|Bacon plus oxygen can cut steel.||21%||True||N/A|
|Wallpaper can stop a wrecking ball.||9%||True||N/A|
|Didgeridoos stops snoring||17%||True||N/A|
|Our "mighty cheese" (actually a gyroscope) is a mighty good wrestler.||14%||True||N/A|
|You can eavesdrop with a laser pointer.||14%||True||N/A|
|35 jet engines were used to contain a forest fire in Shoshone National Forest in 2009.||14%||Lie||They said the capital of Wyoming was Laramie, when it is actually Cheyenne.
They put the engine backwards.
Originally aired on October 19, 2011
|Two bullets blow up car||21%||True||N/A|
|Wine was a Weapon in World War II||45%||Lie||They claimed bottle built up 500 joules of pressure, but pressure isn't measured in that unit and the footage of the swastika was flipped.|
|Fresh road kill is good||11%||True||N/A|
|Eggs hold up cheerleaders||6%||True||N/A|
|Piranha will not kill you||8%||True||N/A|
Originally aired on October 26, 2011
|Butter knife splits bullet just as well as a Samurai Sword||11%||True||N/A|
|Termites blow up house||53%||Lie||There aren't any native species of Drywood termites in Montana. There has never been any reported case of home fires being started by termites. The "Termite wood dust" they used in their fire demonstration was actually Lycopodium powder. The home explosions shown in the piece were Stock footage found in the Discovery Channel's video library. Penn stated that the research team could find no reason why it could not happen, there were just no documented cases of it actually happening.|
|Pan for gold in NY||12%||True||N/A|
|How to win a coin toss||13%||True||N/A|
|Hydrogen Peroxide fuels rocket||5%||True||N/A|
Note - There was a second lie in this episode. This episode only had 6 stories, not 7 as the introduction stated.
Originally aired on November 2, 2011
|Machine guns miss the mark||4%||True||N/A|
|Clothing can be made out of Milk (QMilch fabric)||21%||True||N/A|
|Pizza Box in Space (weather balloon)||16%||True||N/A|
|Man outruns a horse||26%||True||N/A|
|Floating dessert||20%||Lie||They said that Helium was the lightest and most abundant element in the universe, when it is actually Hydrogen.|
|Bottle game can be rigged||4%||True||N/A|
|Hook & loop (velcro) beats truck||9%||True||N/A|
Originally aired on November 9, 2011
|Linen armor stops arrows (Linothorax)||3%||True||N/A|
|You can pour a drink while upside down in a Barrel Roll||4%||True||N/A|
|Humans use echolocation||4%||True||N/A|
|Magnet removes tattoo||83%||Lie||The tattoo of a Chinese glyph (假) translates as "not real" or "false". Electromagnetic paddle was actually half a defibrillator. While showing the "high tech" equipment in the lab, they included a shot of a microwave oven. The list of names in the typo-ridden scientific study included silly names such as "Hellen O.F. Troy" (Helen of Troy) and "Mel B. Rooks" (Mel Brooks), and fictional characters like "Carlton S. Banks, Bel Air".|
|Road makes music (Musical road)||2%||True||N/A|
|Snails on a razor||1%||True||N/A|
|Liquid nitrogen cracks safe||3%||True||N/A|
- "Penn and Teller tell a Lie: Episode Guide". Discovery Channel. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (7 October 2011). "Wednesday Cable: 'American Horror Story' Premiere, 'South Park' Return Top MLB Playoffs + 'Ghost Hunters,' 'Nick Swardson' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (13 October 2011). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'South Park' Rises; 'American Horror Story' Falls; + Brewers/Cards NLCS, 'Psych' Premiere, 'Ghost Hunters' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (20 October 2011). "Wednesday Cable Ratings:'Storage Wars' Tops Night, 'American Horror Story' Rises; 'South Park' Falls + 'Psych,' 'Pretty Little Liars' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (27 October 2011). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'American Horror Story' Series High Edges 'South Park' + 'Psych,' 'Daily Show,' 'Ultimate Fighter' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (3 November 2011). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'South Park,' 'American Horror Story' Lead + 'Psych,' 'Real World,' 'Mythbusters' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (10 November 2011). "Wednesday Cable Ratings: 'American Horror Story,' 'South Park' Lead; 'Psych' Lower + 'Real World,' 'Mythbusters' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- "Penn & Teller: LIE Reveal Exclusives". Discovery Channel. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "German fashion designer makes clothes from milk". Yahoo! News. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "Google translate". Google. Retrieved November 13, 2011.