List of Persian figures in the Sasanian era
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Here is a list of important Persian figures in the Sassanid Empire (226-651) :
- Mani the prophet : Founder of Manichaeism.
- Mazdak : Proto-socialist philosopher and founder of Mazdakism.
- Bozorgmehr : Physician and minister of Khosrau I.
- Purandokht (Boran) : Sassanid queen.
- Barbod the Great : Court musician of the king Khosrau II who created the first musical system in the Middle East, known as the Royal Khosravani and dedicated to the king himself.
- Nagisa (Nakisa) : The court musician who collaborated with Barbod on his famous septet piece the Royal Khosravani.
- Sarkash : Though not as renowned as Barbod or Nakisa, he was a remarkable musician.
- Rostam Farrokhzād : The last great general of Sassanids. While unsuccessful at repelling the Arab Muslim invaders, Iranian folklore and history consider him a hero.
- Salman the Persian : One of the Sahaba. He is among The Four Companions.