List of Peruvian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Peru has submitted films for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1967, when it became the fourth Western Hemisphere country to enter the Oscar Foreign Film race, after Mexico, Brazil and Argentina. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue.
Prior to 2009, Peru had entered the competition 15 times, but had never yet been nominated for an Academy Award. For the 2009 ceremony, Golden Bear winner The Milk of Sorrow (La Teta Asustada) was chosen to represent Peru and the nation received its first Academy Award nomination for the film.
Six of Peru's submissions were directed by Francisco J. Lombardi while three others were directed by Armando Robles Godoy.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by Peru for review by the Academy for the award by year and the respective Academy Awards ceremony.
All Peruvian submissions were filmed in Spanish.
- "Rule Thirteen: Special Rules for the Foreign Language Film Award". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 22 August 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- "Contracorriente (Undertow), writer, director Javier Fuentes-León". filmmakermagazine. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Continue to Oscar Race". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. Archived from the original on 21 May 2012. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Las malas intenciones inicia carrera para competir en los Oscar". RPP Noticias. 26 September 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "El limpiador es el largometraje peruano seleccionado para competir en la categoria de Mejor película de lengua extranjera en los 86th Academy Awards". La Dirección del Audiovisual, la Fonografía y los Nuevos Medios. Archived from the original on 28 September 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-26.
- "Peru sends "The Gospel of the Flesh" to Academy Awards". Andina. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Peru Chooses Héctor Gálvez' Forensic Mystery 'NN' as Oscar Entry". IndieWire. 10 September 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "PERÚ: Oscar 2017: la película "Videofilia" representará al Perú". Entorno Inteligente. 15 September 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2016.