List of Phoenician cities
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
List of Phoenician city-states and colonies
This is a list of cities of Phoenicia proper, modern-day Lebanon, coastal Syria and northern Israel/Palestine and those cities founded or developed by the Phoenicians in the Levant / Eastern Mediterranean area, North Africa, Europe, and the islands of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Sur - One of the two leading-city states of Phoenicia and the most important seaport
- Sydon - One of the two leading city-states of Phoenicia
- Gebal - One of the oldest sites of civilization
- Tripoli, Lebanon
- Myriandrus - in modern-day Turkey
- Sam'al - Cilicia; in modern-day Turkey. Fortress city protecting the trade route to Anatolia
- Finike - historically known as Phoenicus
- Carthage - the most powerful of the Phoenician settlements, eventually being destroyed by the Romans
- Utica - earliest settlement in Africa
- Hippo Diarrhytus - now Bizerte, the northernmost city in Africa
- Leptis Parva
- Zama Regia - the last place Hannibal fought and the place where his first and only major defeat occurred
Europe / Elsewhere
- Lilybaeum, also known as Marsala
- Cádiz also known as Gades - earliest Phoenician settlement in Spain
- Cartagena - the capital city founded by Hamilcar Barca of Carthage after conquering the Iberian tribes
- La Fonteta (Guardamar del Segura)
- Barcelona (according to one legend another says it's Greek)
- San Roque
- Guizot, F.P.G, A Popular History of France, From the Earliest Times, Volume I, Boston, 1869
- Peter Whitfield (2005). Cities of the World: A History in Maps. University of California Press. p. 99. ISBN 978-0-520-24725-3.
- Nathan Laughlin Pilkington (2013). "An Archaeological History of Carthaginian Imperialism". Academic Commons, Columbia.edu. Columbia University. p. 170. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- David Wright; Patrick Swift (1 January 1971). Lisbon: a portrait and a guide. Barrie and Jenkins. p. 150. ISBN 978-0-214-65309-4.