List of Pokémon anime characters
This is a list of Pokémon anime characters.
|Original||Advanced Generation||Diamond & Pearl||Best Wishes!||XY||Sun & Moon|
|Characters||Indigo League||Adventures on the Orange Islands||The Johto Journeys||Johto League Champions||Master Quest||Advanced||Advanced Challenge||Advanced Battle||Battle Frontier||Diamond and Pearl||Battle Dimension||Galactic Battles||Sinnoh League Victors||Black & White||Rival Destinies||Adventures in Unova and Beyond||XY||Kalos Quest||XY & Z||Sun & Moon|
- Ash Ketchum (サトシ Satoshi)
- Japanese voice actor: Rica Matsumoto
- English voice actor: Veronica Taylor (4Kids Entertainment)
- Second English voice actor: Sarah Natochenny (TPCI)
- Third English voice actor: Kayzie Rogers (The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon broadcast version)
- Ash Ketchum is the main protagonist of the Pokémon anime. A 10-year-old Pokémon trainer (as last confirmed), his dream is to become the greatest Pokémon Master in the world. There are also incarnations of him in a plethora of manga adaptations, of which include The Electric Tale of Pikachu, and Ash & Pikachu. Loosely based on Red, the protagonist of the games Pokémon Red and Blue. The family name "Ketchum" is a pun on the franchise's former tagline and slogan, "Gotta catch 'em all!". Ash always has Pikachu on his team and currently has a Rowlet, Lycanroc (Dusk Form), and Litten. Currently in Professor Oak's care: Bulbasaur, Charizard (which sometimes can be found at the special training ground in Charizard Valley) Kingler, Muk, 30 Tauros, Snorlax, Heracross, Bayleef, Quilava, Totodile, a shiny Noctowl, Donphan, Swellow, Sceptile, Corphish, Torkoal, Glalie, Staraptor, Torterra, Infernape, Buizel, Gliscor, Gible, Unfezant, Scraggy, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Boldore, Krookodile, Oshawott, Pignite, Snivy, Talonflame, Hawlucha and Noivern. Ash has a Squirtle, which is currently the leader of a local Fire-fighting Brigade, and a Primeape, which is in private training. He once had a Haunter, which chose to travel with him for a short time and help him defeat a Gym Leader who used Psychic Pokémon, and an Aipom, which he traded to Dawn for her Buizel. Ash also once owned a Butterfree, Pidgeot, Lapras, Goodra and Greninja (with whom he could synchronize with and activate its special form: Ash-Greninja); all of which have been released to live with and/or protect their own kind. Ash has collected all the badges for and competed in the Pokémon Leagues in Kanto, the Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn, the Battle Frontier in the Kanto Region, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos; he is an Orange Islands and Battle Frontier Champion. So far Ash's best campaign was in the Kalos league, where he went all the way to the final match, but lost to Alain. Ash is currently on a journey through the Alola Region alongside his Pikachu.
- Misty (カスミ Kasumi)
- Japanese voice actor: Mayumi Iizuka
- English voice actor: Rachael Lillis (4Kids Entertainment)
- Second English voice actor: Michele Knotz (TPCI)
- Ash's first time traveling friend, Misty is a 10-year-old Pokémon trainer who journeys with him throughout the first five seasons. She is revealed as one of the four gym leaders of Cerulean City along with her three older sisters. Her dream is to be the world's greatest "Water Pokémon Master," but her means of accomplishing this are never made clear. She has made several friends and rivals over the course of her journeys and claims she is a better Pokémon trainer than Ash. She does truly care about him and Brock and remains a close friend. When she was young, as well as during the beginning of the series, she was constantly belittled by her older sisters, though she appears to have made amends with them. At the end of the original series, she takes over the Cerulean Gym; however, she still contacts Ash from time to time and receives help from Tracey on a daily basis. Misty is a primary character in the seasons of the original series, with guest appearances in the Advanced Challenge, Advanced Battle, and Battle Frontier seasons. She owns a Staryu, Starmie, Goldeen, Psyduck, Politoed, Corsola, Azurill, Luvdisc, Horsea and a Gyarados (despite Gyarados once being the only water-type Pokémon she previously claimed to dislike). It is assumed she uses these Pokémon in her Gym Battles. She also once owned a Togepi, which she released once it evolved into a Togetic to help protect other Togepi in danger of capture. It is also believed that she may have had a crush on Ash, but this has never been confimed in the Japanese release, or by the show's creators.
- Brock (タケシ Takeshi)
- Japanese voice actor: Yūji Ueda
- English voice actor: Eric Stuart (4Kids Entertainment)
- Second English voice actor: Bill Rogers (TPCI)
- Brock is a 15-year-old Pokémon Breeder and the former Pewter Gym leader. Brock initially had dreams of being the world's best Pokémon breeder. He is Ash's longest lasting traveling partner, having appeared in every season (as a guest in Season 2) up to Season 13. There is a running-gag in the series where Brock falls in love with a girl and is either pulled away by the ear by Misty or Max, or is hit with Croagunk's Poison Jab, temporarily knocking him unconscious. Throughout the series, Brock has traveled with his Onix (now Steelix), Geodude, Crobat, Forretress, Ludicolo, Marshtomp, Sudowoodo, Croagunk and Chansey. He also once owned a Vulpix, originally owned by Suzy, during the original series, but decided to give Suzy back her Vulpix when she and Brock met up again near the end of the original series. Brock leaves the main cast at the end of the Diamond and Pearl: Sinnoh League Victors season to take his dream to the next level and become a Pokémon Doctor.
- Tracey Sketchit (ケンジ Kenji)
- Japanese voice actor: Tomokazu Seki
- English voice actor: Ted Lewis (4Kids Entertainment)
- Second English voice actor: Craig Blair (TPCI)
- One of Ash's traveling friends through Season 2, set in the Orange Islands. He is a Pokémon watcher, and is currently Professor Oak’s assistant. His last name in the English dub is a pun because he sketches Pokémon. Tracey may also be a pun, based on the word "trace". He has a Marill, Venonat, and Scyther on his team. Tracey replaces Brock as a primary character in Adventures in the Orange Islands, with guest appearances in seasons 5, 8, and 9.
- May (ハルカ Haruka)
- Japanese voice actor: Kaori Suzuki
- English voice actor: Veronica Taylor (4Kids Entertainment)
- Second English voice actor: Michele Knotz (TPCI)
- May is the 10-year-old daughter of the Petalburg City Gym Leader, Norman, and sister of Max. She meets Ash Ketchum in Hoenn and starts traveling with him after obtaining her first Pokémon, Torchic. She originally dislikes Pokémon, but soon takes interest in Pokémon Contests. May tends to add only beautiful and cute Pokémon to her team, making sure they meet her standards to enter them in contests. She raises Beautifly, her first capture, from a little Wurmple she finds on her journey. She also likes cute Pokémon such as her Skitty. After entering contests she soon develops rivalries with other contest participants, Drew (her main rival who often assists her and gives helpful advice even while having a tendency to be somewhat insulting), Harley, and Jessie of Team Rocket, and goes on to win many contests. May travels through Hoenn and Kanto with Ash and Brock whilst Ash is competing in the Hoenn League and Battle Frontier, respectively. While Ash and Brock choose to travel to Sinnoh, May decides to follow her rivals to Johto instead. However, she visits Ash, Brock, and Dawn in Sinnoh sometime later to participate in the Wallace Cup. She is known as the "Princess of Hoenn", an alias by which Dawn refers her when the two first meet. May replaces Misty as a primary character in the Advanced Generation seasons, and makes a guest appearance in Battle Dimension. Her team consists of Blaziken, Beautifly, Skitty, Venusaur, Munchlax, Wartortle and Glaceon. She also befriended a Manaphy in the ninth film Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea before deciding to release it to the sea at the end of the film.
- Max (マサト Masato)
- Japanese voice actor: Fushigi Yamada
- English voice actor: Amy Birnbaum (4Kids Entertainment)
- Second English voice actor: Kayzie Rogers (TPCI)
- Max is the 7-year-old son of the Petalburg City Gym Leader, Norman, and the brother of May. He joins the group of Ash, May and Pokémon breeder Brock. Max is a budding Pokémon trainer, but is too young to receive a Pokémon. He is a bookworm who has read just about everything written about Pokémon. In Pokémon: Jirachi Wishmaker, he befriends Jirachi and eventually leaves it. This is an idea from Pokémon 4Ever from when Ash leaves Sam. He remains simply a Pokémon enthusiast until he and May leave Ash and Brock in the final Advanced Generation episode, in which he returns to Hoenn to help take care of the Petalburg Gym. He is again seen as a flashback in DP Battle Dimension. Max has received just two cameos since his departure, triggered by May's brief return for the Wallace Cup arc. He takes on what had once been Misty's role in restraining Brock from pretty women with the ear-pull. Max appears as a primary character alongside May in the Advanced Generation seasons, with non-speaking cameos in Battle Dimension. Max has befriended a Ralts and has promised to return for it when he becomes a Pokémon Trainer.
- Dawn (ヒカリ Hikari)
- Japanese voice actor: Megumi Toyoguchi
- English voice actor: Emily Bauer
- Dawn is a 10-year-old Pokémon Coordinator who travels with Ash and Brock and replaces May during Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl. Following in her mother's footsteps as a Coordinator, she chooses Piplup, who she had already befriended at an earlier point, and sets out with the goal of winning the Grand Festival. As a native of Sinnoh, she often explains certain aspects of the region unfamiliar to both Ash and Brock, and keeps up to date with popular trends like the Pokétch. As she participates and win in more Contests, Dawn gradually becomes more confident in her skills as a Coordinator and regularly trains with her Pokémon before every contest. When her Swinub evolves twice into Mamoswine, it begins to disobey her but starts listening to her after she saves it. Her catchphrase is "No need to worry!", but she usually says this when there actually is a need to worry. Although she originally planned to participate in the Kanto contests, she decides to remain in Sinnoh when her Buneary is offered to model for a Pokémon magazine. Dawn is very saddened to leave Ash and Brock, but she and Piplup cheer up and wave goodbye as they return to Kanto. She later decides to travel to Hoenn to take part in the contests there. After obtaining all five of her Hoenn contest ribbons, Dawn travels to Eastern Unova to train for the Grand Festival and helps Ash prepare for the Unova League. Dawn has appeared in Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl, and returns for an arc in Best Wishes! Season 2. Dawn's Pokémon team consists of Piplup, Buneary, Pachirisu, Mamoswine, Quilava and Togekiss. She also once owned a Buizel, who was later traded to Ash for his Aipom, which then evolved into Ambipom and was left in private training.
- Iris (アイリス Airisu)
- Japanese voice actor: Aoi Yūki
- English voice actor: Eileen Stevens
- One of Ash's Best Wishes! companions. Hailing from a village where there are many Dragon-type Pokémon, Iris is a wild girl who swings from vines and likes to eat berries. She first meets Ash when he mistakes her for a Pokémon, and since traveled with Ash on his journey in the Unova Region. She tends to call Ash a kid, usually when Ash makes a mistake or acts particularly naïve. She has the Dragon-Type Pokémon Axew as her companion, as well as an Excadrill that initially does not obey her commands but later has a change of heart, and a flirtatious Emolga. She later captures an aggressive Dragonite after helping clear its name when it was being blamed for a town's power outage. In the Black and White video games, Iris is one of the two Gym Leaders of Opelucid City (she acts as Gym Leader only in Pokémon White Version), and the Unova Champion in Pokémon Black and White 2. Her relation to those positions have not yet been mentioned in the anime. The other Gym Leader Drayden has been featured (a battle with him being the reason that Iris's Excadrill stopped obeying her), but Iris's relationship with him has also not been revealed. However, when Ash briefly decides to visit Opelucid City to battle for his 8th Unova Gym Badge, she seems hesitant and relieved when he is forced to change his mind. She later battles Dawn with her Dragonite against Dawn's Mamoswine and manages to win despite a type disadvantage.
- Cilan (デント Dento, Dent)
- Japanese voice actor: Mamoru Miyano
- English voice actor: Jason Griffith
- Cilan is an A-Class Pokémon Connoisseur who has the ability to determine the compatibility between Pokémon and their trainers. He traveled with Ash in the Unova Region. He is also one of the first Gym Leaders of the Unova League, a position he shares with his brothers Chili and Cress, but he leaves his post to join Ash and Iris on their journey. He has numerous hobbies seen throughout the series such as fishing, cinema, and subway trains. He considers himself a good detective and is very skeptical about anything that there isn't an immediate logical explanation for. He has the Grass-Type Pokémon Pansage as his partner, and he later acquires a Dwebble which later evolves into a Crustle and a Stunfisk. He's very much like Brock too, as he is a sort of mentor/supporting figure to Ash and Iris.
- Serena (セレナ)
- Japanese voice actor: Mayuki Makiguchi
- English voice actor: Haven Burton-Paschall
- Serena is a Pokémon trainer and Ash's first childhood friend. She remembers Ash from their childhood when the two of them attended the Oak summer camp in Pallet Town. During this time, Serena had fallen and injured her leg; Ash then helped her with her injury, causing Serena to gain a crush on him. After learning that Ash is on Kalos, and still having feelings for him, she decides to leave home to reunite with him, and upon doing so comes along with him on his journey (despite having no specified goal). After experiencing numerous events like the Sycamore summer camp, she learns about Pokémon Showcases from Shauna, and decides to become a Pokémon Performer. She owns a Fennekin which then evolved into a Braixen, a Pancham, and an Eevee which evolved into a Sylveon, all of which accompany her in her performances. Following a heartbreaking loss in her debut Showcase, as a sign of her new resolve she cut her hair and began wearing a new outfit. After obtaining three Princess Keys, she competes in the Gloire City Master Class Showcase, ultimately going one-on-one with Kalos Queen Aria, whom she was unsuccessful in defeating. However, not deterred by her loss, she vowed to keep on working hard, just like Ash inspired her to do. Serena leaves Ash's side when she decides to leave for Hoenn to continue her training, but not without a kiss.
- Clemont (シトロン Shitoron, Citron)
- Japanese voice actor: Yūki Kaji
- English voice actor: Michael Liscio, Jr.
- Clemont is a Gym Leader from the Lumiose City Gym. He is a young inventor and always has a large backpack which contains numerous strange gadgets, most of which explode. He is also one of Ash's close friends. He, along with his sister Bonnie, continue Brock's running gag, only he drags Bonnie off with his Aipom Arm out of embarrassment when she asks some girl (except for Nurse Joy,Officer Jenny and Serena) to marry him, instead of the other way around. His Pokémon team outside of being a Gym Leader consists of Chespin, Bunnelby, and Luxray. Out of intense admiration for Ash, he began travelling with him in order to become a better Gym Leader. This would culminate when Ash challenged and successfully defeated Clemont at the Lumiose Gym, acquiring his 5th badge in Kalos. Before Ash leaves Kalos, he asks for one final battle with Ash, and the result of the battle is left ambiguous to the viewer. He is a bit different from previous male companions, as in that Ash is a sort of mentor figure to him, not the other way around, like Brock and Cilan.
- Bonnie (ユリーカ Yurīka, Eureka)
- Japanese voice actor: Mariya Ise (EP803-887, 903-942)
- Second Japanese voice actor: Mika Kanai (EP888-902)
- English voice actor: Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
- Bonnie is a Pokémon trainer-to-be and Clemont's 7-year-old sister. She is more mature than Clemont and always tries to stop his bizarre behavior. Due to being underage, her Pokémon nominally belong to Clemont for now. She, along with her brother, continue Brock's running gag, only she asks pretty girls (except Nurse Joy,Officer Jenny and Serena) the gang encounters to marry her brother, and is removed by him, instead of the other way around. Bonnie is often seen with a Dedenne, which technically belongs to Clemont for the time being but which will become Bonnie's when she is old enough to start training Pokémon. Following an accidental encounter with a Zygarde Core, she began taking care of it, nicknaming it "Squishy", and promising to protect it from Team Flare.
- Lana (スイレン Suiren)
- Japanese voice actor: Hitomi Kikuchi
- English voice actor: Rosie K. Reyes
- Lana is one of the students at the Pokémon School of Melemele Island who befriends Ash. She is a master in fishing and her main Pokémon is a Popplio she rescued, while she also has a Lapras as a Pokémon Ride. Lana lives on a seaside house with her little sisters Harper and Sarah.
- Mallow (マオ Mao)
- Japanese voice actor: Reina Ueda
- English voice actor: Rebecca Soler
- Mallow is one of the students at the Pokémon School of Melemele Island who befriends Ash. She loves to cook and, specializing in grass Pokémon, owns a Bounsweet which evolved into a Steenee.
- Lillie (リーリエ Rīrie)
- Japanese voice actor: Kei Shindō
- English voice actor: Laurie Hymes
- Lillie is one of the students at the Pokémon School of Melemele Island who befriends Ash. Hailing from a very rich family, she loves to study and usually helps the other students with their researches, but somehow has an inherent fear of touching any kind of Pokémon, despite interacting naturally with Pokémon when she was younger. 4 years ago, she somehow developed her "Poképhobia" during a travel with her mother Lusamine and brother Gladion, but is slowly learning to overcome it, getting used with an Alolan Vulpix nicknamed "Snowy" she took care of since it was an egg and became her partner Pokémon, Lillie decided to take one step at a time to get over her fear of touching Pokémon. Initially, she was only comfortable with her Alolan Vuplix Snowy, but managed to touch Ash's Pikachu without hesitation later on, and even ride a Stoutland without repercussions. However after seeing one of her brother's Pokémon, Silvally, it triggered a part of her childhood trauma which caused her to not be able to touch Pokémon again even her own, Snowy. But when she was rescued from Silvally when one of Faba's Pokémon had her up in the air with Psychic she remembered that it once did it before when she was little when the unknown Ultra Beast Pokémon attacked her. After giving Silvally a hug as a thank you for rescuing her twice she realize she can touch it thus putting an end to Lillie's Poképhobia for good and was able to touch all Pokémon even the rare one, Nebby also she can touch Snowy again along with Pikachu as well. Since then, she starts to touch any Pokémon. However Lillie's still afraid of Nihilego, the same Ultra Beast that attack her when she was little, shown when it appear out the Ultra Wormhole again then the sight of it freaked her out. Nihilego descends down to attack her brother, but Lusamine pushes him out of the way. Nihilego grasps her, and Lusamine is taken to the Ultra Wormhole. Lillie becomes terrified, and screams out for her mother.
- Sophocles (マーマネ Māmane)
- Japanese voice actor: Fumiko Takekuma
- English voice actor: Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
- Sophocles is one of the students at the Pokémon School of Melemele Island who befriends Ash. Specializing in electric Pokémon and good with machines. He owns a Togedemaru and a Charjabug.
- Kiawe (カキ Kaki)
- Japanese voice actor: Kaito Ishikawa
- English voice actor: Marc Swint
- Among the students at the Pokémon School of Melemele Island who befriend Ash, Kiawe is the oldest and most experienced, being the only among them to have cleared the trials to be entrusted with a Z-Ring, the same that once belonged to his grandfather. He runs a dairy farm on Akala Island along his parents, and also has a little sister called Mimo, whom he dotes on. Specializing in fire Pokémon, Kiawe's Pokémon are Turtonator, an Alolan Marowak, and his Pokémon Ride is a Charizard that also belonged to his grandfather.
- Gary Oak (オーキド・シゲル Ōkido Shigeru, Shigeru Ōkido)
- Japanese voice actor: Yuko Kobayashi (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Jimmy Zoppi (English)
- Gary Oak is Ash's very first rival. He is based on the character Blue from the Pokémon video game series. Like his counterpart Blue, Gary hails from Pallet Town and is the grandson of renowned Pokémon researcher Professor Oak. Like Ash, Gary collected Gym badges and competed in Pokémon League tournaments; Kanto and Johto. At first, Gary was arrogant, always traveling with cheerleaders who called out his name and constantly teased Ash's group whenever they met. After losing to a more powerful opponent in the Indigo League, Gary dispenses with the cheerleaders and then becomes more open-minded. At the end of season 2 (Orange Islands), Ash and Gary have their first Pokémon battle in which Gary's Eevee beats Ash's Pikachu. When the battle is over, Gary starts on a new journey to Johto and this subsequently influences Ash to follow him there. After losing to Ash in the Johto League, Gary decides to pursue a career in Pokémon research, impeding his rivalry with Ash. Until his loss to Ash, Gary had always thought of Ash as a poor trainer but he eventually comes to accept him as his equal. After Ash defeats the Battle Frontier and comes back to Pallet Town, Gary and Ash have a battle between Gary's Sinnoh Pokémon, Electivire, and Ash's Pikachu. Electivire easily beats Pikachu, which inspires Ash to travel to Sinnoh. While in Sinnoh, Gary becomes a Pokémon researcher working with Professor Rowan. By this time, Ash and Gary have become more of friends than rivals and they even team up to protect Pokémon from Pokémon Hunter J. After working together to protect a group of Shieldon from Pokémon Hunter J, they both agree to remain "friends until the end." Gary appears in seasons 1-5 (where it was only revealed that he started off with a Squirtle in season 5, while battling with a Blastoise) and 9-12. Gary's Japanese name, Shigeru Okido (オーキド シゲル Ōkido Shigeru), is a reference to Shigeru Miyamoto, who mentored Pokémon creator Satoshi Tajiri.
- Ritchie (ヒロシ Hiroshi)
- Japanese voice actor: Minami Takayama (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Tara Sands (English)
- Ritchie is a traveling Pokémon trainer from Frodomar City. Ritchie first appears during the Indigo League Saga, where he meets and forms a friendship with Ash Ketchum. As rivals, Ritchie and Ash are much alike. For example, both trainers own a Pikachu and have caught many of the same Pokémon. After the Indigo League tournament, Ritchie is ranked in the top eight of the competition after defeating Ash (due to a technicality), but then loses his next match. Afterward, Ash and Ritchie part ways but pledge an oath to become Pokémon Masters. Ritchie re-appears in the Whirl Islands near the beginning of the fifth season, Pokémon: Master Quest, and is one of the protagonists of Pokémon Chronicles.
- Harrison (ハヅキ Hazuki)
- Japanese voice actor: Katsumi Toriumi (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Wayne Grayson (English)
- Harrison is a traveling Pokémon trainer from Hoenn who competes in the Silver Conference. Ash and the gang first met him in "Pop Goes the Sneasel" when he tried to ward off a wild Sneasel that was guarding the sacred Ho-Oh flame. During the Silver Conference, Ash battles him in a full six-on-six battle. He defeats Ash but loses to his next opponent, finishing at the top four of the Johto League competition. After the Johto League Silver Conference, Harrison convinces Ash to go to the Hoenn region. Afterwards, Harrison goes to Kanto to participate in the Indigo League.
- Drew (シュウ Shū)
- Japanese voice actor: Mitsuki Saiga (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Oliver Wyman (4Kids Entertainment)
- Second English voice actor: Bill Rogers (TPCI)
- Drew is an experienced Pokémon Coordinator, a confident, critical, but popular boy. He is May's first, and most prominent, rival. Because he sees similarities between new Coordinator May and himself when he first started out, he taunts her for her inexperience. Though his comments and attitude may have angered May, he still provides a helping hand whenever she needs it. Drew's skills have been a continuing inspiration for May to better herself as a Coordinator. Despite his initial attitude towards May, he slowly becomes of a friend towards her after the Hoenn Grand Festival to the point where both start to develop feelings towards each other. May finally manages to barely defeat Drew at the Indigo League Grand Festival, earning her a spot at the Final Four. At the end of season 9, he heads towards to Johto to compete in more contests along with Harely and May.
- Harley (ハーリー Hārī)
- Japanese voice actor: Jun'ichi Kanemaru (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Andrew Rannells (4Kids Entertainment)
- Second English voice actor: Bill Timoney (TPCI)
- Arrogant, flamboyant, and proud, Harley is a Pokémon Coordinator and May's rival. During their first meeting, Harley takes May's unwitting comments as insults to his abilities and he takes an instant dislike to her. Since then, Harley takes every opportunity to sabotage May before her contests, even teaming up with Team Rocket on occasion, and frequently takes advantage of her forgiving nature in order to trick her into believing he has changed his ways. He is frequently seen dressed in a Cacturne costume. He travels to Johto alongside Drew and May at the end of season 9.
- Morrison (マサムネ Masamune)
- Japanese voice actor: Masako Nozawa (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Sean Schemmel (English)
- Morrison is Ash's main rival in the Hoenn region and the Ever Grande Conference, a spirited person who likes to challenge other people to almost everything and never gives up in battle. Due to this, he always challenges Ash to various events such as Pokémon battles or even a food eating contest. Ash and the gang first met him in "Less is Morrison", where he soon becomes a friend and rival to Ash. When he appears again, he is a Ash's first opponent in the Ever Grande Conference; because of his conflicting feelings, he refuses to battle his friend until Ash encourages him to try his best. Morrison is able to battle with all his spirit, losing to Ash only when both of them are down to one Pokémon.
- Tyson (テツヤ Tetsuya)
- Japanese voice actor: Kenji Nojima (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Marc Diraison (English)
- Tyson is a trainer originally from Mauville City. He first appeared in Episode 399: Like a Meowth to a Flame, where he helped Ash and his friends defeat Team Rocket, using his Metagross. Meowth is his main Pokémon, seen dressed with a cowboy hat and boots. He later battled Ash in the Hoenn League and won. Tyson's team consists of: Meowth, Metagross, Donphan, Shiftry, Hariyama, and Sceptile.
- Katie (カエデ Kaede)
- Japanese voice actor: Yōko Sōmi (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Andi Whaley (English)
- Katie is the pride of Lilycove City, where she has the nickname "cool beauty" because of her fashion and flair. Her hobbies include playing the clarinet and her favorite food is spicy spaghetti with Tamato Berries. In battle, she is known for most commonly using Venomoth and Golduck and is known for carefully analyzing her opponent's moves. Katie's battle style was different from many other typical Trainers in the anime. Instead of sticking with one Pokémon in battle until it fainted, she would switch out her Pokémon for a stronger one if hers had a disadvantage. It was due to this strategy that she nearly defeated Ash in the first part of their battle. During their battle, she took out two of Ash's Pokémon without having any of hers faint. Ash was finally able to take out her Dugtrio with his Glalie. However, the Ice-Type was soon defeated by her Misdreavus' Destiny Bond. However, Ash was able to turn the battle in his favor using his three remaining Pokémon. His Corphish took out her Golduck while confused, and from there, he eventually defeated Katie and moved on in the Victory Tournament.
- Solidad (サオリ Saori)
- Japanese voice actor: Rie Tanaka (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Sarah Natochenny (English)
- Solidad made her debut appearance in May, We Harley Drew'd Ya!, where it was revealed that she had defeated Drew in his very first Pokémon Contest, causing him to cry. Since then they seem to have become friends. They see each other often in Contests and they also keep in touch. She also noticed that Drew became more competitive, and she thinks May is the reason for this. In Channeling the Battle Zone!, she battled May in the semifinal round of the Kanto Grand Festival. She was able to counter May's attacks as she had previously observed her battling style. She managed to win the battle against May, and then she won the final stage, giving her the title of Top Coordinator. Similarly to Drew, May also cried after being defeated by Solidad. She was last known to be traveling in Johto and in Staging a Heroes' Welcome! and Strategy with a Smile!, she made a cameo appearance along with Harley and Drew, watching May perform live on TV at the Wallace Cup.
- Paul (シンジ Shinji)
- Japanese voice actor: Kiyotaka Furushima (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Julián Rebolledo (English)
- Paul is a roaming Pokémon trainer from Veilstone City, Sinnoh. As a Pokémon trainer, Paul is experienced and has traveled across the regional areas of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, much like Ash. During Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl, he begins to travel through Sinnoh, where he meets and develops a rivalry with Ash Ketchum. Unlike Ash's previous rivals, Paul is a grumpy and serious trainer whose only concern towards Pokémon is their ability to act in battle and who believes that forming bonds with Pokémon dilutes their potential, and is thereby seen by many characters for being the complete opposite of Ash. His harsh training style, competitive behavior, and desire to be strong derives from his resentment toward his older brother, Reggie, who had been an accomplished trainer until he lost to Pyramid King Brandon, causing him to quit Pokémon training to become a breeder. Paul is determined to make sure he doesn't meet that same fate, so he plans to surpass not just any trainer, but his own brother as well, although he is clearly unlikable to many. In Japan, he is named after Shinji Mikami, the creator of the Resident Evil series. He has a Torterra (evolved from a Turtwig), an Electivire which is revealed to have evolved in Pokémon DP 184, a Honchkrow, a Weavile, a Magmortar and an Ursaring. His brother currently looks after his Gliscor, Hariyama, Nidoking and Lairon which is seen to have evolved into Aggron when Ash battles Paul in the Sinnoh League in Pokémon DP 186-188 (this is the longest battle in the series yet). He also is revealed to use a Froslass, a Gastrodon, a Drapion and his Ninjask in the Sinnoh League against Ash, but ultimately loses the battle. Afterwards, he finds a bit of respect for Ash, and heads out to battle with Brandon. Ash and Paul depart on a good note. Ash wishes him luck, which Paul returns. Just as Paul is about to leave Ash calls out that they should battle again, real soon. Then he smiles, finally accepting him. As he waves good-bye, he walks away, into the sunset. Cynthia stated that she would like to see the day Paul and Ash compete in the Champion League. Paul is also seen again in the next episode, watching Ash's battle with Tobias on television. When Ash is defeated, Paul looks disappointed and walks away. Paul is designed to be Silver of Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heartgold and Soulsilver because Paul trained his Pokémon through harsh training opposed to forming a trusting relationship with his Pokémon. Also, Paul's official art shows him in the same pose as Silver.
- Barry (ジュン Jun)
- Japanese voice actor: Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Jamie McGonnigal (English)
- Barry is Ash's newest rival in Sinnoh, an impatient and overconfident boy who, while competent and skilled, tends to lose most of his battles against Ash. He is an admirer of Paul, and uses the same technique though he cares for his Pokémon. He dreams of being the strongest Pokémon trainer in the world. Barry is best friends with Kenny and the son of Palmer, the Tower Tycoon of Sinnoh's Frontier Brains. He is based on the rival in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. He originally owns an Empoleon, a Staraptor, a Roserade and a Heracross and later gains a Hitmonlee and a Skarmory.
- Nando (ナオシ Naoshi)
- Japanese voice actor: Kazuya Nakai (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Bill Timoney (English)
- A talented Pokémon trainer and wandering minstrel, Nando is a calm young man deeply conflicted as to whether he should challenge gyms or become a Pokémon Coordinator. After battling both Ash and Dawn, he chooses to pursue both paths, regardless of the difficulty. By the time of the Sinnoh Grand Festival, he has acquired seven Gym Badges and five Contest Ribbons. In the Grand Festival, he is able to reach the Top 4, losing to Zoey. After the Grand Festival, he obtains the necessary badges to compete in the Sinnoh League; he is Ash's first opponent but is eliminated after putting up a good battle. Nando make his debut appearance in Dawn of a New Era!. He owns a Roserade (evolved from his Budew), a Sunflora, a Kricketune, an Altaria, a Kricketot, an Armaldo, and a Lopunny. He is usually seen playing his golden Mew harp. The harp has often been shown to attract large groups of wild Pokémon, although it is unknown if Nando is aware of this.
- Conway (コウヘイ Kōhei)
- Japanese voice actor: Kōzō Mito (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Bill Timoney (English)
- Conway is a particularly smart and cunning trainer, who carefully studies and analyzes trainers to create a strategy. He first encounters Ash and the gang during the Hearthome City Tag Battle Tournament, where he battled alongside Dawn and made their way to the finals, only to be defeated by Ash and Paul. He later met the gang again at the Pokémon Summer Academy where he was the leader of the Green Team. He later battled Ash in the third round of the Sinnoh League where he loses. A common gag of Conway is that he appears out of nowhere in a creepy manner, of which Dawn is usually the victim. His known Pokémon are Slowking, Aggron, Heracross, Shuckle, Lickilicky, and Dusknoir.
- Zoey (ノゾミ Nozomi)
- Japanese voice actor: Risa Hayamizu (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Emlyn Morinelli McFarland (English)
- Zoey is an experienced Pokémon coordinator from Snowpoint City and Dawn's main rival. Unlike most rivals, she often gives out helpful advice, and helps out in certain situations instead of fighting and taunting Dawn all the time. Zoey is initially disdainful of those who participate in both Gym battles and contests because she believes that trainers who divide their efforts do not full-heartedly compete in both disciplines. However, she changes her outlook as she meets trainers who are able to successfully manage both while respecting the hard work required. Zoey first appears in the episode of "Mounting a Coordinator Assault". The Pokémon she has with her are Glameow, Mismagius, Gastrodon, Lumineon, Gallade, and Leafeon. In "A Grand Fight for Winning", she defeats Dawn in the final stage of the Grand Festival and wins the Ribbon Cup.
- Kenny (ケンゴ Kengo)
- Japanese voice actor: Yūko Mita (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Rhonda Krempa (Season 10-12)
- Second English voice actor: Erica Schroeder (Season 13)
- Kenny is one of Dawn's childhood friends and a rival coordinator. He frequently calls her by her nickname, 'Dee Dee' and is best friends with Barry. Kenny makes his debut in Getting the Pre-Contest Titters and Settling a Not-So-Old Score, where he and Dawn enter the Floaroma Pokémon Contest. Eventually, he is able to qualify for the Sinnoh Grand Festival, but misses the cut of 32 in the Grand Festival, causing him to leave Lake Valor to improve his training. Kenny is revealed to have romantic feelings towards Dawn and eventually challenges Ash to a battle with the outcome determining who Dawn would travel with. Though he wins the battle, Dawn leaves him a note stating that she wishes to remain with Ash.
- Ursula (ウララ Urara)
- Japanese voice actor: Ayako Kawasumi (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Melisa Schroenburg (English)
- One of Dawn's rivals, Ursula is a Coordinator from the Sinnoh region who enters the Chocovine Contest at the same time as Dawn. They meet just outside the Contest Hall when her Gabite gets into a confrontation with Dawn's Pachirisu. Her attitude toward Dawn is similar to Harley's attitude toward May. During the Sinnoh Grand Festival, she loses to Dawn and is eliminated from the contest, unable to make it into the Top 16. She currently owns a Gabite, a Wormadam, a Plusle and a Minun, a Jigglypuff, a Flareon and a Vaporeon (evolved from her two Eevee during the appeals round of Sinnoh Grand Festival).
- Tobias (タクト Takuto)
- Japanese voice actor: Hiroki Takahashi (Japanese)
- English voice actor: J. Michael Tatum (English)
- An incredibly powerful trainer, Tobias is mysterious, silent, and unbelievably skilled, who apparently earned all eight of his gym badges only using his Darkrai. He competes in the Sinnoh League where, up until his battle with Ash, he manages to single-handedly defeat all of his opponents with just Darkrai. Ash battles him in the semi-finals, during which Darkrai ends up losing to Sceptile, only for him to send out Latios. Despite Latios' battle with Pikachu ending in a draw, Tobias still earns the victory losing only two Pokémon. He later wins the Sinnoh League with, once again, just his Darkrai. His only known Pokémon are Darkrai and Latios. He is arguably the most powerful rival Ash has ever faced.
- Trip (シューティー Shūtī, Shooty)
- Japanese voice actor: Akeno Watanabe (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Jamie McGonnigal (English)
- Trip is a male trainer taking the Unova League challenge who appears in the Black and White series and whose ultimate ambition is to compete in the Champion League and defeat Alder, the Unova champion. In addition to being a Pokémon Trainer, he is also an amateur Pokémon photographer. Upon his first meeting and battle with Ash, he tends to somewhat display a discriminatory attitude toward him as being part of the "boonies" because Ash is from the Kanto region, along with his Pikachu, which happens to be extremely rare in the Unova region. He takes a Snivy from Professor Juniper, which later evolves into a Servine and then eventually into a Serperior. He also has a Tranquill, a Frillish, a Lampent, a Vanillite, and a Timburr, that soon evolved into a Gurdurr, then to a Conkeldurr. Trip participates in the Club Battle, Clubsplosion, Junior Cup, and Unova League tournaments. With the exception of the Junior Cup, which he wins, he loses in the first round of each competition. After his battle with Ash in the Unova League, Trip appears to have ended his rivalry with Ash, and shows an apparent degree of respect towards him.
- Bianca (ベル Beru, Bel)
- Japanese voice actor: Shizuka Itō (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Erica Schroeder (English)
- Bianca is a female trainer who appears in the Black and White series. She encounters Ash and his companions several times throughout the series which usually ends with a battle between herself and Ash. She is also shown to be very excitable and clumsy. Bianca joins Ash, Iris, and Cilan to participate in the Club Battle, Clubsplosion, and Unova League tournaments. Her main Pokémon are Emboar, Minccino, and Escavalier.
- Burgundy (カベルネ Kaberune, Cabernet)
- Japanese voice actor: Ikumi Hayama (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Suzy Myers (English)
- Burgundy is a female Pokémon Connoisseur who at one point challenged Cilan and lost, and Cilan said that her Oshawott was not compatible with her (Cilan however, doesn't remember this, but he does remember their gym battle). When Ash, Iris, and Cilan meet up with her once more, after she says that none of Ash's Pokémon are good for him, she reveals she challenged the Striaton Gym and got the Trio Badge, but still feels she needs to fight Cilan. Cilan defeats her again, even with her Dewott and Sawsbuck, but she exclaims she will fight him again someday and win. She later participates in the Club Battle, Clubsplosion, and Junior Cup tournaments with the group, held in Nimbasa Town, Ambiga Town, and Lacunosa Town respectively, but lost in round one in all of them. Her Pokémon consist of Dewott, Sawsbuck, Stoutland, and Darmanitan.
- Georgia (ラングレー Rangurē, Langley)
- Japanese voice actor: Misato Fukuen (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Brittney Lee Hamilton (English)
- Georgia is a female trainer who calls herself a Dragon Buster, someone who specializes in defeating Dragon-Type Pokémon. Incensed, Iris challenges her, and the fight between Georgia's Beartic and Iris's Excadrill where Excadrill loses allows Iris to make Excadrill feel better about their loss to Drayden several years earlier. Georgia ties with Iris in a second battle, as Excadrill learned Focus Blast and gained trust in Iris. Georgia participates in the Club Battle, Clubsplosion, and Junior Cup tournaments with Ash, Iris, and Cilan. Her Pokémon are Beartic, a Pawniard that evolved into a Bisharp, and Vanilluxe.
- Stephan (ケニヤン Keniyan, Kenyan)
- Japanese voice actor: Tomohiro Waki (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Darren Dunstan (English)
- Stephan is a male trainer whom Ash meets on the way to Nimbasa City. At that point in time he is known to have a Blitzle (which later evolves into Zebstrika), and is later shown to have a Sawk and a Liepard. He and Ash have a battle, but it gets postponed when Oshawott loses his Scalchop. Once Oshawott trains with a fake shell made of rock, he defeats Stephan's Blitzle. Stephan participates in the Club Battle and Clubsplosion tournaments with the gang, the latter in which he and his Sawk win. He also participates in the Unova League, where he makes it to the Top 16. Here, he and Ash have an intense three-on-three battle in which Ash defeats him. There is a running gag in the anime that people always mispronounce his name (similar to Butch), but everyone begins pronouncing his name right by the time the Unova League begins.
- Cameron (コテツ Kotetsu)
- Japanese voice actor: Kōki Uchiyama (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Rory Max Kaplan (English)
- Cameron is a new trainer and rival for Ash. He debuts after the Junior Cup, as he meant to compete, but didn't arrive in time. Cameron temporarily joins the group when he goes to earn his 8th Gym Badge from Marlon in Humilau City, and upon obtaining it, he leaves. Cameron returns to compete in the Unova League tournament alongside Ash, Trip, Stephan, Bianca, and Virgil. His Pokémon are Samurott, Ferrothorn, Hydreigon, Swanna, and his main Pokémon is Riolu (who evolves into Lucario during his battle with Ash); he also has a Watchog, seen only as a blackened silhoette. In the Vertress Conference, he defeats Bianca (leaving her in the Top 64), and during the Top 8 manages to defeat Ash despite being one Pokémon short, but is subsequently defeated by Virgil in the Top 4. He seems to be unorganized as he had misinterpreted pretty much everything, such as thinking he needed seven gym badges to compete in a Pokémon league instead of eight.
- Virgil (バージル Bājiru)
- Japanese voice actor: Yūki Kaji (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Tom Wayland (English)
- Virgil is a rescue worker with his father Jeff and his brother Davey. He saved Ash and his group when they fell off a bunch of rocks while they were trying to climb up to get to Vertress City, where Ash had participated in the Vertress Conference. After solving things at the dam, Virgil reveals he also entering the Unova Leage, making him one of Ash's rivals. He eventually won the Unova League. He owns an Eevee and seven of its "Eeveelutions": Umbreon, Espeon, Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Leafeon and Glaceon. It was revealed that as a young boy, he once got lost in the forest with his first Eevee, when it suddenly evolved into an Umbreon and was thus able to lead him out. This event made him fascinated with the Eevee species and led to him becoming an Eevee trainer. Virgil is the only one of Ash's rivals with whom he has not battled.
- Shauna (サナ Sana)
- Japanese voice actor: Yurie Kobori (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Jo Armeniox (English)
- Shauna is energetic and loves making Pokévision videos with her Pokémon. She and her friends became fans of Serena after seeing the Pokévision video she made. She dreams of becoming a famous Pokémon Performer and ultimately Kalos Queen.
- Tierno (ティエルノ)
- Japanese voice actor: Anri Katsu (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Todd Haberkorn (English)
- Tierno is a Pokémon Trainer who loves to dance. This is also reflected in his party as he tends to catch Pokémon with special dance skills such as Hitmontop and Ludicolo. Despite being a rookie Trainer, he can cope well when battling more experienced opponents thanks to his skills, teaching dance moves to his Pokémon so they can evade attacks with ease. Tierno is very friendly and is always encouraging his friends to do their best. He is very supportive of Shauna and often watches her Showcase performances. He has feelings for Serena, which he demonstrates every time they meet. He was responsible for introducing Shauna to Serena.
- Trevor (トロバ Trova)
- Japanese voice actor: Minami Fujii (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Michael Lockwood Crouch (English)
- Trevor is a Pokémon Trainer and photographer, his goal as a Trainer is to meet every Pokémon in the Pokédex. Throughout his journey, Trevor aims to take pictures of all the Pokémon he encounters. He is mostly interested in ones with differences in their features, however slight.
- Miette (ミルフィ Millefeui)
- Japanese voice actor: Saori Hayashi (XY026) (Japanese)
- Second Japanese voice actor: Kei Shindō (XY080 - XY113) (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Maggie McDowell (English)
- Miette is Serena's rival. She met Ash and his friends when her Slurpuff had eaten one of Serena's PokePuffs and when she revealed they weren't very good, she and Serena soon started a rivalry with each other. In order to prove who is the better baker, she and Serena entered a baking competition and though they made it to the final round, neither of them won. She and Serena eventually settled their dispute and now have a more friendly rivalry. During her time with the group, Miette soon realized Serena's true feelings for Ash and warned her that if she doesn't confess her feelings, than she will admit her own feelings and take Ash for herself. Miette soon met up with Serena and the group again as she had decided to become a Pokémon Performer and was revealed to be entering the same Showcase as Serena with Slurpuff and her newly obtained Meowstic. Miette put on a dazzling performance, but Serena won and earned her first Princess Key. Miette would later participate in the Master Class Showcase, but has been defeated by Serena once more. While gloomed over her loss, gained courage and wished Serena luck in winning the Kalos Queen title. Miette was present along with Shauna and Nini, watching the final performance between Serena and Aria. After the Master Class ended, Miette gathered outside with Shauna, Nini and Serena. Miette teased Serena about Ash once again, making her blush and scream her name in a high pitched voice. Miette promised she would train more for the Showcases and departed off with Shauna and Nini away.
- Nini (ネネ Nene)
- Japanese voice actor: Motoko Kumai (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Jenny Emm (English)
- Nini is a polite person and a confident Performer, aiming for the top. She is also glad to meet new rivals like Serena or Shauna. Ash and his friends first met her when Serena's Pancham and Clemont's Chespin started arguing over a Poké Puff, they accidentally hit a Farfetch'd. Nini was angry, since it was her Farfetch'd, but was glad to see another Performer like Serena. Nini thought of trading her Smoochum for Serena's Pancham, but Serena declined the offer. After Serena and Nini showed each other the performances they had thought of, Team Rocket appeared, distracting them by having them dance and stole all their Pokémon. Fortunately, they managed to come in time, seeing their Pokémon fought against Team Rocket. After Team Rocket's defeat, Nini bid Serena farewell, pleased she had a new rival. Much later, Nini came to Anistar City, where she found Serena and met her other rival, Shauna. They participated in the Showcase and for the first round, Serena, Nini and a trainer named Lily had their Pokémon delivered some spheres to answer some questions, in order to pass the round. Nini failed to answer a question incorrectly and lost to Serena, who advanced into the next round. After Serena won her second Princess Key, Nini bid Serena farewell, as she went to other Showcases. Having arrived to Couriway Town, the heroes met up with Nini, who showed two Princess Keys she obtained recently, as well as a Gothita. Nini participated in the Showcase, using her Gothita to help her cook the Poké Puffs. Nini made it into the next round, where she had all her Pokémon participate in the performance; Gothita lifted her in the sky with Psychic, while Farfetch'd used Fury Cutter on Smoochum's Powder Snow, creating glitter around the stage. But Nini nor Serena won their third Key. They promised to each other they'd practice more to win their final Key. Nini would later participate in the Master Class Showcase, but lost to Jessie in the first round. After arriving to the waiting room, Nini gained courage and wished Serena luck in winning the Kalos Queen title. Nini was present along with Miette and Shauna, watching the final performance between Serena and Aria. After the Master Class ended, Miette gathered outside with Shauna, Nini and Serena. Nini promised she would train more for the Showcases and departed off with Shauna and Miette away.
- Sawyer (ショータ Shōta)
- Japanese voice actor: Ikue Ōtani (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Robby Duncan Sharpe (English)
- Hailing from the Hoenn region, Sawyer is a new Pokémon trainer who chose Treecko as his starter Pokémon from Professor Birch. After meeting and battling Ash, he begins to respect Ash, looking to him as a mentor figure, and he sets his sights on surpassing Ash as a trainer. His Treecko developed a rivalry with Ash's Frogadier, even evolving in their second battle. Following the evolution of Grovyle into Sceptile, and Ash's Frogadier into Greninja, their rivalry becomes even fiercer, though in the third battle between the two trainers, Sceptile was defeated by Greninja's new "Ash-Greninja" form. In the fourth battle between the two, Sawyer managed to defeat Ash, and then witnessed Ash's defeat at the hands of Snowbelle City Gym Leader Wulfric, mentally saying that the person he admired wouldn't have lost, and that the two would settle things at the Kalos League. At the Kalos League, Sawyer managed to advance all the way to the semi-finals, squaring off against Ash in a 6-on-6 battle, but ultimately lost, despite his Sceptile Mega Evolving. After the Kalos League, he helps fend off Team Flare and aids the civilian survivors in Lumiose City. When he later bids farewell to Ash after the Team Flare crisis, he reveals that his idol Steven Stone had given Sawyer a Key Stone to allow his Sceptile to Mega Evolve, and that he wants to repay the favor by becoming Steven's assistant; he is last seen working alongside Steven at the ruins of Lysandre Labs. His team is composed of Sceptile, Salamence, Slurpuff, Aegislash, Clawitzer, and Slaking.
- Alain (アラン Alan)
- Japanese voice actor: Kenshō Ono (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Jonathan Silver (English)
- Alain, Ash's main rival for the Kalos league, is a calm, silent-type figure, who shows little emotion and focuses his attention towards battling. Deep down, however, he does not wish to see ones closest to him to suffer or get them in danger. Alain also obeys Lysandre's orders without much hesitation, since Lysandre was the one that equipped him with the Mega Ring and gave him the Mega Stone Charizardite X. In addition, Alain despises losing (at the time of being defeated against Siebold), hence why he did ask Lysandre to battle 10 Mega Evolution trainers to become stronger. Alain worked with Steven Stone while in Hoenn to uncover the secrets of Mega Evolution's origins, ultimately battling Mega Rayquaza, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre for control of a giant rock which has a connection to Mega Evolution, which would be obtained by Lysandre and Team Flare. Alain's character takes a massive dark turn after his travel-companion Mairin's partner Chespie falls into an unexplainable coma, with his goal shifting to acquiring strength and helping Lysandre so that Chespie's health would be restored. He formally worked as a part of Team Flare, assisting them in capturing the blue Zygarde Core. In addition, he also becomes a rival to Ash after witnessing Ash's Greninja's unique transformation, even entering the Kalos League solely to battle against him. He defeats Ash and wins the Kalos Legaue. But when some members of Team Flare come to capture Ash, he starts to question what Lysandre wants. Eventually, he learned he was betrayed and that Lysandre's actually plan was to control Ash and Greninja. However, Ash helps him forget about his past. Alain thanks Ash for helping him open his eyes and sends Charizard to rescue Pikachu and the rest of Ash's Pokémon. As of this, Alain and Ash fight against Lysandre. After Team Flare's defeat, Alain decides to help Professor Sycamore once again with his research and, inspired by Ash, start a new journey from scratch. Alain's team consists of Charizard, Bisharp, Metagross, Weavile, Unfezant, and Tyranitar.
- Gladion (グラジオ Gurajio)
- Japanese voice actor: Nobuhiko Okamoto (Japanese)
- English voice actor: Eddy Lee (English)
- Gladion, Ash's new rival in the Alola Region, who is also Lillie's brother and is a serious and calm trainer, who is looking for himself worthy opponents in the battles between Pokémon. In the rest, he is a "lone wolf" who avoids meeting with his sister because his battling style seems to somewhat edgy and ruthless. Despite this, he is noted by others how he still has a kind behavior shown when he told his sister to take care of her Pokémon. While Gladion does not visit his sister often, he swore to protect her, after her encounter with the Ultra Beast. 4 years ago, Gladion watched as his sister, Lillie, was attacked by an Ultra Beast. Lillie was terrified, while Gladion was not brave enough to defend her. Suddenly, a Silvally arrived, which defeated the Ultra Beast. While Lillie lost memory of the encounter and became scared of Pokémon, Gladion took the Silvally as his own Pokémon, and swore to protect his sister. One day, Gladion found an injured Eevee and brought it to Hobbes. Gladion was very concerned about Eevee, though Hobbes promised it would recover if they took it to the Pokémon Center. Gladion was also motivated to go on a journey to find more about himself, as well as to train alone. Thus, he left Lillie and the mansion. His Pokémon are Lycanroc (Midnight Form), an Eevee that was recently hurt until it was recovered and has evolved into an Umbreon and the mysterious Pokémon, Silvally, but a mad scientist named Faba took Silvally and placed restraints on it, which caused it to de-evolve into Type: Null.
- Professor Samuel Oak (オーキド博士 Ōkido-hakase, Professor Okido)
- Voiced by: Unshō Ishizuka (Japanese), Keiko Toda (child, Japanese), Stuart Zagnit (4Kids, English) and Carter Cathcart (TPCi, English), Tara Sands (child, English)
- Professor Oak is a Pokémon researcher and the grandfather of Gary Oak. He was once a competitive Trainer, and is generally considered the best in his field. As such, his role in the Pokémon games and anime is that of a mentor to young Pokémon Trainers, a source of information and an occasional plot device. Amongst other things, he is credited with inventing the Pokédex. He also hands out a Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle to beginning trainers (depending on which Pokémon the trainer chooses) to start their adventure in the Kanto Region and owns a Pidgey, a Dragonite and a Rotom. Although he is an expert on all matters relating to Pokémon, Professor Oak specializes in Pokémon behavioural science.
- Oak's first name is revealed to be Samuel in "The Power of One", the main Feature of Pokémon: The Movie 2000. Additionally, it is apparent after Pokémon 3: The Movie that he has known Delia Ketchum since she was a child. In the Pokémon 4Ever, Ash meets a boy called Samuel who has been brought to the future by the time-travelling Celebi. At the end of the movie, Sam returns back to his time, with Ash upset to leave his new close friend. It is then revealed that the boy Ash, Misty, and Brock befriended grew up to be Professor Oak, meaning that Professor Oak was best friends with Ash when he was a boy. He also creates poems centered around Pokémon and is known as the rhyming professor by Dawn. He is named after the oak tree in the English version of the game, while he is named after the orchid in the original Japanese version.
- Professor Ivy (ウチキド博士 Uchikido-hakase, Professor Uchikido)
- Voiced by: Keiko Han (Japanese), Kayzie Rogers (English)
- Professor Ivy is the resident Pokémon professor of the Orange Islands, south of the region of Kanto. Professor Ivy is first introduced in the second season of the Pokémon anime. Ash and his friends, Misty and Brock make their way to Valencia Island and meet the Professor. The unusual Pokéball that Professor Ivy discovered is dubbed the GS Ball. It serves as a plot device that leads Ash to the region of Johto. During the second season, Brock decides to stay with Ivy to study Pokémon breeding, but later returns to Ash's group. Misty implies that Brock left Ivy because he has been "dumped". She also appears in the animated film Pokémon: The Movie 2000. Her English name is a reference to the ivy. Her first name is Felina.
- Professor Elm (ウツギ博士 Utsugi-hakase, Professor Utsugi)
- Voiced by: Kazuhiko Inoue (Japanese), Paul Frank (English)
- Professor Elm is in charge of giving novice trainers their first Pokémon (Chikorita, Cyndaquil, or Totodile) in the video games Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal. He was a student of Professor Oak and moved to New Bark Town in the region of Johto where he conducts his research on Pokémon breeding. His English name refers to the elm tree, while his Japanese name refers to Deutzia. Professor Elm dresses quite casually, with a shirt that has a stripe across it slightly covered by his lab coat. He wears khaki slacks and sometimes wears night slippers or moccasins.
- He is stereotypically depicted as a professor that has a tendency to be absent-minded, due to his immersion in his work. His forgetfulness was shown in an episode of the Pokémon anime where Team Rocket visit his laboratory, and the professor carelessly assumes them to be Nurse Joy from the Pokémon Center without looking up, and tells them to take the Pokémon, which they do. When the real Joy arrives, Elm discovers that one of his Pokémon, Totodile, has been stolen. With the help of Officer Jenny and the local Police Department, the Pokémon is recovered from Team Rocket. Professor Elm has also been described as the top student of Professor Oak, and seems to have a desire to surpass Professor Oak's accomplishments. He has a Corsola.
- Professor Birch (オダマキ博士 Odamaki-hakase, Professor Odamaki)
- Voiced by: Fumihiko Tachiki (Japanese), Dan Green (English)
- Professor Birch is considered the "Pokémon Professor" in the Hoenn region. Unlike other Pokémon scientists, he is known for his field work, rather than, in his own words, remaining "cooped up in his lab all day." He is an expert in the field of Pokémon habitual distribution. He is also responsible for giving new Pokémon Trainers one of the three Hoenn starter Pokémon: Treecko, Torchic, or Mudkip. These Pokémon are found in Pokémon games Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. His English name refers to the birch tree, while his Japanese name refers to the Columbine flower.
- In the anime, Professor Birch appears at the start of the Hoenn Saga. When Ash arrives in the Hoenn region, his Pikachu is ill from an overexposure to magnetism, and needs treatment immediately. Birch himself takes Ash and Pikachu back to his lab. Birch gives May her first Pokémon, a Torchic, a Pokédex, and some Poké Balls. He later appears when Ash, May, Brock, and Max return to Littleroot to help save the Starter Pokémon from Team Rocket, and also helps to solve the mystery of Clamperl's evolutions.
- Professor Rowan (ナナカマド博士 Nanakamado-hakase, Professor Nanakamado)
- Voiced by: Iemasa Kayumi (Japanese), Sean Reyes (English)
- Professor Rowan is the authority on Pokémon in the region of Sinnoh, the setting of the Pokémon video games Pokémon Diamond and Pearl and Pokémon Platinum. Professor Rowan's name derives from the rowan tree, continuing the trend of the names of Pokémon professors deriving from the names of trees, while his Japanese name refers to Sorbus commixta, the Japanese Rowan tree.
- Rowan's laboratory is located in Sandgem Town, making him the first professor in the Pokémon series not to live in the protagonist's town. He specializes in the research of Pokémon evolution and is considered a senior researcher to Professor Oak, whom he is old friends with. He gives the player a Pokédex, and allows him or her and the rival to keep one of the three Sinnoh Starter Pokémon (Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup) each after they are attacked by Starly while searching for a rare Pokémon, having seen a red Gyarados on TV appearing at Lake Verity (a reference to Pokémon Gold and Silver).
- Professor Rowan appears in the first episode of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, "Following a Maiden's Voyage!" He meets Dawn and later gives her Piplup. He owns a Starly and a Staraptor. He runs a Pokémon Summer Academy; he is shown to be serious in nature as is exhibited by his breaking up Ash and Angie's constant fights and surprising them when they are late arriving to the Summer Academy.
- Professor Aurea Juniper (アララギ博士 Araragi-Hakase, Professor Araragi)
- Voiced by: Naomi Shindō (Japanese), Khristine Hvam (English)
- Professor Juniper is the authority on Pokémon in the region of Unova, the setting of the Pokémon video games, Pokémon Black and White. Professor Juniper's name derives from the juniper tree, continuing the trend of the names of Pokémon professors deriving from the names of trees, while her Japanese name derives from a name for the Japanese Yew.
- Juniper's laboratory is located in Nuvema Town. In the anime, she is a friend of Professor Oak. As a present, she gives the player and the player's rivals Cheren and Bianca, the Starter Pokémon of Unova: Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott.
- Professor Juniper appears in the first episode of Pokémon: Best Wishes! titled "In The Shadow of Zekrom!". She meets Trip and later gives him Snivy and when her Oshawott runs away and follows Ash, she allows Ash to keep the Pokémon.
- Professor Augustine Sycamore (プラターヌ博士 Platane, Professor Platane)
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Tsuchida (Japanese), Jake Paque (English)
- Professor Augustine Sycamore is the authority on Pokémon in the region of Kalos, the setting of the Pokémon video games, Pokémon X and Y. Professor Sycamore's name derives from the sycamore tree, continuing the trend of the names of Pokémon professors deriving from the names of trees, while his Japanese name derives from the French word for Plane Tree.
- Sycamore's laboratory is located in Lumiose City. He is the first Professor in the video games who the player is able to battle. To start the player on their journey he will give them a choice of Starter Pokémon of Kalos: Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie. He is also shown to have a connection with Alain.
- Professor Kukui (ククイ博士 Kukui, Professor Kukui)
- Voiced by: Keiichi Nakagawa (Japanese), Abe Goldfarb (English)
- Professor Kukui appears in the Alola region, where Pokémon Sun and Moon take place. His name comes from the candlenut tree (often referred to as kukui), a plant traditionally indigenous to Hawaii.
- Kukui is married to Professor Burnet, who studies the relationship between Pokémon and other dimensions. She works at the Dimensional Research Lab in Heahea City, which the player is invited to from Kukui in Pokémon Sun and Moon. This is the first time a professor in the Pokémon series has been revealed to have a romantic relationship with a named character.
- Kukui's laboratory is located on Route 1, the first time a professor's laboratory is not within a town or city. He also teaches students at a school that Ash currently attends with Lana, Mallow, Lillie, Sophocles and Kiawe. Kukui gives Ash a Rotom as the operating PokéDex. In the games, he offers the player Rowlet, Litten, or Popplio. Kukui also frequents the Battle Royal Dome under the alias "the Masked Royal". At the end of Pokémon Sun and Moon, the player can battle him as the Champion of the Alolan Elite Four.
Team Rocket (ロケット団 Roketto-dan, Rocket Gang) is an organization bent on world domination. Headed by Giovanni, their plan to steal and exploit Pokémon for profit and power is a central plot device used throughout the series. According to the anime, the organization only has bases in the Kanto and Johto regions; however, that does not stop the show's antagonist trio of Jessie, James, and Meowth from following Ash Ketchum to other areas around the Pokémon world. Often, members of Team Rocket are broken up into pairs in order to perform specific heists—like Jessie and James. In the English translations, the pairs are often given names which nod to iconic figures of the American Old West: Jesse James, Butch Cassidy, and Annie Oakley, as well as Atilla the Hun.
- Giovanni (サカキ Sakaki)
- Voiced by: Hirotaka Suzuoki (Seasons 1-8), Kenta Miyake (Season 9+, Japanese), Ted Lewis (Seasons 1-8, Season 11+), Craig Blair (Seasons 9 & 10, English)
- He is the leader of Team Rocket—having inherited his position from his mother—and the Viridian City Gym Leader. He is constantly frustrated by the failures of his operatives Jessie, James and Meowth. Aside from the operations of Team Rocket, he also funded the creation of Mewtwo in Mewtwo Strikes Back. Mewtwo eventually escaped from him and he attempted to recapture the Pokémon in Mewtwo Returns—resulting in Mewtwo erasing all memories of himself from Giovanni's mind. Giovanni plays nearly the same role in the Pokémon Red, Blue, Yellow, FireRed, and LeafGreen video games. He also appears in the Pokémon Adventures manga. Like in the anime, he organizes Mewtwo's creation. In the FireRed and LeafGreen chapters, he uses Red, Blue, and Green to capture Deoxys and use it to find his son Silver. He also appears in the Pokémon Live! stage musical where he is played by Darren Dunstan. It is stated that he and Delia Ketchum were possibly romantically involved as teenagers (implying that Giovanni may be Ash's biological father), and she never told Ash as she feared he would misunderstand. However, the musical is not considered canon.
- Jessie (ムサシ Musashi)
- Voiced by: Megumi Hayashibara (Japanese), Rachael Lillis (4Kids), Michelle Knotz (TPCI) (English)
- James (コジロウ Kojirō)
- Voiced by: Shin-ichiro Miki (Japanese), Eric Stuart (4Kids), Jimmy Zoppi (TPCI) (English)
- Meowth (ニャース Nyāsu, Nyarth)
- Voiced by: Inuko Inuyama (Japaese), Maddie Blaustein (4Kids), Jimmy Zoppi (TPCI) (English)
- Wobbuffet (ソーナンス Soonansu Sonans)
- Voiced by: Yūji Ueda (Japanese), Kayzie Rogers (4Kids and TPCI), Erica Schroeder (TPCI) (English)
- A recurring trio of bumbling (for the first three series) thieves who constantly follow Ash Ketchum around in order to capture his Pikachu, which they consider exceptionally strong and are apparently obsessed over. While they are usually antagonistic towards Ash and his friends, they have shown that they are good-hearted at times and willing to put their differences aside when it is beneficial and then fail at an attempt to steal Pikachu. They are shown to have set up the first Team Rocket base in the Sinnoh region. Despite the frequent loses by the hands of Ash and his friends, the trio briefly teamed up with Ash and his friends to defeat more dangerous threats to the world, even helping out in taking down rivaling crime syndicates (such as Team Aqua, Team Magma, Team Galactic, Team Plasma, Team Flare and Team Skull) and reporting their "successes" back to their boss Giovanni. Starting with the Best Wishes! series, the trio has been more serious about their jobs and have accomplished many missions. However, they went back to being comic relief as of the XY series. They are based on the famous villain trio in the Time Bokan series.
- Butch (コサブロウ Kosaburō)
- Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (Japanese), Eric Stuart (4Kids), Jimmy Zoppi (TPCI) (English)
- Cassidy (ヤマト Yamato)
- Voiced by: Masako Katsuki (Japanese), Megan Hollingshead, Andy Whaley (4Kids), Emlyn Morinelli McFarland (TPCI) (English)
- They are the rivals of Jessie, James, and Meowth; unlike the trio, they are successful members of Team Rocket and are looked upon favorably by Giovanni. Their plans are on a larger scale, with the goal of capturing many Pokémon at once; for example, in their first appearance they ran a breeding center to steal others' Pokémon. As a running gag, other characters usually mispronounce Butch's name (e.g. Biff, Botch, Buzz, Bob, Chuck, Bill, Buffy, Butcher, Hutch, etc.), and when they do get his name right, he corrects them out of habit, usually with misspronouncing his own name in the process. The duo sometimes recites a less poetic, more arrogant version of the motto used by Jessie, James, and Meowth. However, just like the trio, Cassidy and Butch can be quite bumbling as shown in the Pokémon Chronicles spinoff, where they failed to capture Pokémon and end up blasting off, much to their embarrassment.
- Dr. Namba (ナンバ博士)
- Voiced by: Ichirō Nagai (Japanese), Billy Beach (4Kids) (English)
- One of Team Rocket's scientists. Inside an underwater Team Rocket laboratory, Dr. Namba had some Team Rocket Grunts go to the area to spy on Lugia and report back the details of its whereabouts. The grunts did so and Dr. Namba dispatched a submarine in order to catch it. In the meantime, he had Butch, Cassidy and some other grunts to fire nets at it but Ash and his friends foiled Butch and Cassidy's plans while Oliver's Lanturn forced the grunts to retreat. Dr. Namba was then given the report by Butch and Cassidy. Afterwards, Dr. Namba wanted the duo to go get something. After Butch and Cassidy successfully got Silver, the child Lugia, it was given to Dr. Namba who proudly stood in front of it. Butch and Cassidy arrived and discussed with Dr. Namba about a plan using Silver as a decoy to capture the parent Lugia. Dr. Namba agreed with them as he found this a scheme that was easy to execute. As the parent Lugia went on a rampage after finding out what happened to the child, Dr. Namba monitored it on the screen. Dr. Namba gave Butch and Cassidy both a "Rage Crown" to increase their Pokémon's strength drastically. After the storm stopped, he brought out Silver who was still caged. Dr. Namba watched on as the parent Lugia went to it. As Ash and the gang failed to stop Butch and Cassidy, and the parent Lugia from going to its child, Dr. Namba successfully managed to get both Lugia, as it was a trap. With both Lugia caught, Dr. Namba caged Ash and the gang inside the lab. Dr. Namba explained his plan to them which concerned the Rage Crown being part of his little experiment of amplifying energy, as well as manipulation. He decided to try the Rage Crown on both Ash's Pikachu and Ritchie's Sparky. However, before he could do so, Oliver came in and freed Ash and his friends. Dr. Namba then got tackled by Ash. However, before they could get away, Dr. Namba activated the alarm which summoned all of the members of Team Rocket present. As all of the grunts were subdued by Ash and Ritchie, Dr. Namba prevented the group from freeing the Lugia and sent out his Electabuzz to battle them. Ash and Ritchie used their Pikachu to take care of Electabuzz as Electabuzz was wearing the Rage Crown. During the battle, Ash noticed the Rage Crown's weakness which was the controller Dr. Namba was holding. Sparky went to Dr. Namba and destroyed the controller with its electricity. With Electabuzz powerless, both Pikachu finished it off and Electabuzz landed on Dr. Namba. After an explosion happened in the lab, Dr. Namba was seen holding on to a piece of debris on the ocean.
- Pierce (フリント Furinto, Flint)
- Voiced by: Jin Yamanoi (Japanese), Dan Green (English)
- Pierce is a member of Team Rocket who is Jessie, James, and Meowth's contact in the Unova Region. Sent by Giovanni, he directs the trio to perform a series of crimes involving research on a meteorite that fell on Unova hundreds of years in the past.
Team Magma (マグマ団 Maguma-dan, Magma Gang) is one of the two villainous organizations in the Hoenn Region. They are a group of experts in the fields of geology and plate tectonics. Like Team Rocket, some rebels are Pokémon thieves, but Team Magma specializes in the field of Fire and Ground type Pokémon. In Pokémon Ruby, the team acts as the main crime team antagonists.
- Maxie (マツブサ Matsubusa)
- Voiced by: Keiji Fujiwara (Japanese), Marc Thompson (English)
- He is the leader of Team Magma. Maxie wants to wipe out the sea in order to create more land by using a volcano and Groudon. He is more misguided than truly evil, as he believes that his actions will benefit others. Maxie met Ash in the episode "Gaining Groudon", and told him of his plans. He also told Ash about the Blue Orb, which could control Groudon, and with it in his hands, he could make life better for himself. Suddenly, Pikachu got possessed by the Blue Orb. It controlled Groudon, and a cataclysmic battle began, resulting in Groudon's victory. Afterwards, Maxie thanks Ash, realizing that the land of Hoenn was perfect the way it is.
- Tabitha (ホムラ Homura)
- Voiced by: Yūto Kazama (Japanese), Greg Abbey (English)
- A member of Team Magma, Tabitha first appeared in A Three Team Scheme!, where he led a group of Magma Grunts in an exploration of some ancient ruins on Dewford Island in search of the Cave of Origin. They also had a confrontation with Team Aqua. Due to a dubbing error, he was mistakenly referred to as "Field Commander Harlan" during this episode, though his name was corrected in all subsequent appearances. Tabitha appeared again in The Spheal of Approval, where he and two Magma Grunts broke into the Oceanic Museum in order to steal a rock sample owned by Captain Stern. Although Ash and his friends attempted to stop them, Team Magma successfully made off with most of the sample. In Fight for the Meteorite!, Tabitha led a squad of Magma Grunts on a mission to Mt. Chimney, first stealing a meteorite from Professor Cozmo and then using it to power an experimental machine affecting the volcano. However, their plans were ultimately thwarted by Ash and Cozmo. His final appearances were in Gaining Groudon and The Scuffle of Legends. His submarine accidentally picked up Ash and his friends while out on patrol, bringing them to Team Magma's base. He was present for the battle between Kyogre and Groudon, and, like the rest of Team Magma, has not been seen since
- Brodie (バンナイ Bannai)
- Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (Japanese), Andrew Paull (English)
- A spy with Team Magma, known as The Man of a Thousand Faces or Brodie The Phantom Thief, Brodie debuted in the episode Unfair Weather Friends, disguised as Millie, a scientist at the Weather Institute who was supposed to be collecting data on Groudon. Team Aqua tried to steal the data directly, unaware Millie was really Brodie. When Shelly threatened to harm Bart and the other scientists at the Institute, Brodie revealed himself as a Team Magma Agent and escaped with the information the Institute had gathered on the Legendary Pokémon. Brodie also appeared in The Ribbon Cup Caper. He disguised himself as various people, including Officer Jenny, in order to steal the Ribbon Cup for the Hoenn Grand Festival. When confronted by the real Officer Jenny, Brodie willingly gave up the Ribbon Cup because upon closer inspection "it wasn't valuable enough," and flew away once again. He hasn't been seen since.
- Butler (バトラー)
- Voiced by: Kenji Nojima (young), Kōichi Yamadera, (Japanese), Wayne Grayson (English)
- A former scientist of Team Magma and a magician, Butler was fired from working with Team Magma because an experiment to create a Groudon from a fossilized remnant of it had failed. Fueled by bitterness, hatred and an extreme thirst for revenge, Butler began to assemble a plan for alternative ways of creating a Groudon from scratch. He realized that he needed a stronger energy source for the regeneration process. The power that he sought was only available once in a millennium. Butler and his girlfriend, Diane, found the crystallized "cocoon" of Jirachi in Forina. When Ash, Brock, May and Max found Butler at the Millennium Festival, Butler presented Jirachi to Max because Max was supposedly the friend that Jirachi needed to find so it can awaken when the Millennium Comet comes. When Jirachi awoken from its thousand-year sleep, Butler set up his machine and gave it a test-run a night later. Diane informed Ash and the gang what Butler was up to and decided to take Jirachi back home. Butler had his Mightyena place a tracking device on Diane's van. When Jirachi was sent home and was about to go back to sleep for another thousand years, Butler showed up out of nowhere and snatched Jirachi. Butler then used Jirachi's power in the hopes to create a Groudon from scratch. However, he wound up with a manifestation of pure evil that resembled Groudon. When the false Groudon started sucking up every Pokémon in sight, Butler begged Ash and Max (everyone else was sucked up by the false Groudon) to forgive him and help him to set his machine in reverse to get rid of the big, red abomination. The plan was a success and the false Groudon was destroyed and everyone was released. After Jirachi finally went back to sleep, Butler and Diane decided to stay and protect the Pokémon of Forina.
Team Aqua (アクア団 Akua-dan, Aqua Gang) is one of the two villainous organizations found in Hoenn. They specialize in Water and Dark type Pokémon. Their goal is to raise the level of all the world's oceans with the power of Kyogre.
- Archie (アオギリ Aogiri)
- Voiced by: Masaki Aizawa (Japanese), Sean Schemmel (English)
- He is the leader of Team Aqua. Archie wants to wipe out the land in order to create more sea by using Kyogre. He is more misguided than truly evil, as he believes that his actions will benefit others. He becomes possessed by the power of the Red Orb, much like Pikachu and the Blue Orb. His only concern from that point is to raise the sea, even if it meant drowning all of his Team Aqua members.
- Shelly (イズミ Izumi)
- Voice by: Shōko Tsuda (Japanese) Bella Hudson (English)
- A member of Team Aqua, Shelly first appeared in A Three Team Scheme!, where she led a group of Aqua grunts on a mission to intercept Team Magma, who were exploring some ancient ruins on Dewford Island in search of the Cave of Origin. Due to a dubbing error, she was mistakenly referred to as "Tactical Commander Isabel" during this episode, though her name was corrected in all subsequent appearances. In Fight for the Meteorite!, Shelly led a squad of Aqua grunts on a mission to Mt. Chimney, to try to steal a meteorite from Professor Cozmo before Team Magma could do so. Though they did not obtain the meteorite, Shelly still considered the mission a success, since the meteorite was destroyed and therefore Team Magma could not use it either. She appeared again in Unfair Weather Friends, where she and a group of Aqua grunts took the staff of the Weather Institute hostage in order to obtain their data on Groudon and Kyogre. However, their plans were thwarted by Magma agent Brodie, who made off with the data himself. Shelly's final appearance was in Gaining Groudon and The Scuffle of Legends. She snuck onto Team Magma's base disguised as a Magma grunt and freed Kyogre from the cargo container, allowing Team Aqua to control it with the Red Orb. She was present during the battle between Kyogre and Groudon, and like the rest of Team Aqua, has not been seen since.
Team Galactic (ギンガ団 Ginga-dan, Galaxy Gang), is the crime syndicate in the Sinnoh region. Their goal is to catch the Pokémon that created the world: Dialga of time and Palkia of space, as well as Mesprit, Azelf, and Uxie, so that their leader, Cyrus, can destroy the universe and rebuild it in his own image with himself as an absolute god. However, only the Commanders and Boss are aware of this plan.
- Cyrus (アカギ Akagi)
- Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (Japanese), Sean Schemmel (English)
- He is the leader of Team Galactic. His goal is to "create a new world" in his own image, with himself as the God of that world. In his first appearance, it was shown that he is a rich businessman who has made most of the buildings and libraries throughout Sinnoh. However, Ash and the others do not know that he is also the Team Galactic leader. Since then, he has appeared many times as the Team Galactic leader. In the end he has his dimension created, and enters it shortly before it is destroyed by Dialga and Palkia.
- Charon (プルート Pluto)
- Voiced by: Ken'ichi Ogata (Japanese), Mike Pollock (English)
- One of the Commanders and scientist of Team Galactic, Charon appeared in Saving the World From Ruins!, albeit not in a speaking role. He was seen briefly in Team Galactic's base. Charon made his first full appearance in Gateway to Ruin! along with Saturn where they were trying to find the Spear Pillar in Mt. Coronet. Charon made another appearance in Team Galactic's finale from Unlocking the Red Chain of Events! to The Battle Finale of Legend!, where he assisted in the final stages of the Red Chain project. He was not arrested, unlike the other three Commanders at the end of the arc, and presumably escaped. He appeared briefly in Memories are Made of Bliss! in Team Rocket's fantasy with all the other members of Team Galactic. He was often seen with a laptop computer and did much of the technical work for Team Galactic's plans, such as monitoring energy levels and other statistics. Compared to the other Galactic members, he is the most laid back and upbeat, which often caused one-sided squabbles between him and Saturn.
- Saturn (サターン)
- Voiced by: Akemi Okamura (Japanese), Marc Thompson (English)
- One of the Commanders of Team Galactic, Saturn made his first appearance at the ending of A Secret Sphere of Influence!, though it was a brief appearance at the end of the episode. He, along with the other Team Galactic Grunts, commented that Jessie, James and Meowth did a lousy job at stealing the Adamant Orb for them, and framing Nando for the crime. Saturn's first speaking appearance was in Journey to the Unown!, along with his Bronzor. He managed to steal a cube that was under the guard of the Unown of the Solaceon Ruins and brought it with him back to the Team Galactic HQ. Saturn appeared again in Enter Galactic!, with the cube he obtained in Solaceon Ruins, which he exposed to the meteorites in Veilstone City, transforming it into the Spear Key. Later, he and a few Galactic Grunts went to go steal the meteorites, but ended up meeting Ash and his friends for the first time. He also battles Brock and his Croagunk with his own Toxicroak, but it ends in a draw, as Team Galactic retreats and fails their mission. He appeared in Losing Its Lustrous and Double Team Turnover!, along with Cyrus, Jupiter and Mars. They stole the Lustrous Orb and Adamant Orb from the Celestic Town Historical Research Center. He reappeared with Cyrus, Jupiter and Charon in Saving the World From Ruins! where he was put in charge of excavation of the Spear Pillar from Mt. Coronet. Saturn appeared again in Gateway to Ruin!, along with Charon, where they attempted to locate the ruins of Mt. Coronet. Saturn also appeared in the Team Galactic finale with three episodes, Unlocking the Red Chain of Events!, The Needs of the Three! and The Battle Finale of Legend!. During the final battle, his Toxicroak was defeated by Croagunk and after Cyrus passed through the portal created by Dialga and Palkia he realized that Cyrus had just been using him and the other commanders to reach his own goals and cared little for those who served him. Afterwards he was arrested along with Mars and Jupiter by Looker and stated that Team Galactic was finished.
- Mars (マーズ)
- Voiced by: Rie Tanaka (Japanese), Lisa Ortiz (English)
- One of the Commanders of Team Galactic, Mars made her debut appearance in the anime in Losing Its Lustrous!. She, along with Saturn, attempted to steal the Lustrous Orb from the Celestic Town museum. She also appeared in Double Team Turnover!, in which she informed Cyrus that the Red Chain project was nearing completion. Mars appeared again in Steeling Peace of Mind! along with her Purugly. She had brought the Spear Key to Iron Island, where she activated the ruins in the island to find the exact location of the Spear Pillar in Mt. Coronet. After failing to complete the task in Saving the World From Ruins!, she attempted to blow up the island on Cyrus's orders, but she failed due to Riley and his Lucario. She later appeared in The Needs of the Three! and The Battle Finale of Legend!. After the disappearance of Cyrus, she became distraught and even tried following him, but was stopped by Saturn. The duo, along with Jupiter, were later arrested
- Jupiter (ジュピター)
- Voiced by: Chinami Nishimura (Japanese), Eileen Stevens (English)
- One of the Commanders of Team Galactic, Jupiter made her debut appearance in the anime in Double Team Turnover! where she was the one to get the Lustrous Orb back from Team Rocket after they stole it from the Celestic Town Historical Research Center. She was later assigned by Cyrus to lead the capture squad for the Lake guardians, along with some assistance from Pokémon hunters. She also had a cameo appearance in Saving the World From Ruins!. Jupiter's first major appearance came in Unlocking the Red Chain of Events!, where she was protecting Charon at the Fuego Ironworks while he was working on the Red Chain. She successfully captured Looker, Jessie and James and later encountered Ash and his friends for the first time. During their encounter, she noted her disgust that Mesprit, Azelf and Uxie had chosen Dawn, Ash and Brock as their protectors rather than herself, Saturn and Mars. With the help from her Skuntank, Jupiter and Charon were able to make a clean getaway. Jupiter was present when Team Galactic's plans came to a head in The Needs of the Three! where she battled the gang again. In The Battle Finale of Legend! she was asked to guard the outside of the Spear Pillar however she was quickly captured by Cynthia and was later arrested, along with Mars and Saturn.
Team Plasma is the criminal organization of Unova, their goal is to liberate Pokémon from trainers and rule Unova.
- Ghetsis (ゲーチス・ハルモニア G-Cis Harmonia)
- Voiced by: Masaki Aizawa (Japanese), Bill Rogers (English)
- Ghetsis is the leader of Team Plasma. His goal is to liberate all Pokémon from trainers and to rule Unova. He first appears rallying Accumula Town's citizens. He eventually starting using N and revived Zekrom or Reshiram, depending on the version, as one of N's Pokémon. Once he is defeated, he is arrested. In the sequel of Pokémon Black and White Versions, he is once again behind Team Plasma. His goal is still to take over Unova by freezing it using Kyurem, and had Colress and Zinzolin help him on his task. When he is defeated again, he is taken away by the Shadow Triad.
- Colress (アクロマ Achroma)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Tōchi (Japanese), Eli James (English)
- A Pokémon researcher and the second boss of Team Plasma, appointed by Ghetsis. His goal is to discover the true way to draw out the strength of Pokémon. Colress debuted in Team Plasma's Pokémon Power Plot!, conducting experiments with wild Pokémon in an attempt to bring out their true strength. From his base in an abandoned observatory outside of Floccesy Town, he used a large machine to generate electromagnetic waves that resonated with small devices on the wild Pokémon's foreheads, increasing their aggression and attack power while also rendering them subservient to Team Plasma's commands. Unfortunately for the villains, the mind-control device's EM waves also leaked into the surrounding wilderness, driving the local Pokémon to attack Floccesy Town and revealing their presence in the area. When Ash, his friends, and Looker arrived in the observatory, Colress released his mind-controlled Pokémon on them to test their strength. Impressed by their Pokémon's ability to match his brainwashed Pokémon, he planted one of his controlling devices on Pikachu, forcing him to fight his Trainer. However, Ash's encouragement allowed Pikachu to fight against the EM waves, eventually causing the device to break and freeing Pikachu, much to Colress's amazement. Before he could gather further data, Team Rocket showed up, using one of their miniature robots to steal Colress's research data from his computer before quickly reciting their motto and making an escape with their balloon. With the mind-controlled Pokémon freed, Colress and the Team Plasma Grunts he had with him retreated, destroying the observatory with a self-destruct mechanism to get rid of all possible evidence. Colress appeared again in Team Plasma's Pokémon Manipulation!, where it was revealed that he had upgraded his Pokémon-controlling machine with his remaining research data. Instead of emitting radio waves to activate separate receivers on its targets, the machine now fired a narrow energy beam which instantly brought any Pokémon it hit under Team Plasma's control. Using this machine, Colress took control of a Haxorus, which he sent rampaging in a city. When Ash and his friends arrived and sent their Pokémon to stop Haxorus, Colress used his machine to take control of Iris's Dragonite, giving the heroes a lot more trouble to deal with. Suddenly Team Rocket appeared, attempting to steal Colress's machine. A battle between Jessie and James's Woobat and Amoonguss and Aldith's Liepard then took place, during which one of Liepard's Shadow Balls accidentally hit the machine, breaking it and freeing Haxorus and Dragonite from his control. Realizing that they were at a disadvantage, Colress and the Plasma Grunts retreated. Colress appeared briefly in Secrets From Out of the Fog! with Aldith, discussing Team Plasma's plans with Ghetsis on a videophone call. Colress appeared again in Meowth, Colress and Team Rivalry!. Team Rocket invaded his newest laboratory and drew his security - consisting of Aldith, Barret and some other Plasma Grunts - into a trap in the woods. Once Colress was alone, Meowth approached him and attempted to convince him to join Team Rocket. Colress refused, but offered to allow Meowth to participate in an experiment to increase his strength. Meowth agreed, having undergone training to resist the mind control device. However, Colress still managed to take control of Meowth, and ordered him to attack Jessie and James. Using Frillish and Amoonguss, they managed to snap him out of it before escaping. Later, Colress was seen with his Grunts reporting to Ghetsis, who revealed information about the Light Stone to them. In Ash and N: A Clash of Ideals!, Colress appeared with the rest of Team Plasma to commence their operation at the White Ruins. While Aldith, Barret and many other Grunts ambushed the workers at the site, Colress used his perfected machine to seize control of the workers' Pokémon and turn them on their Trainers. In Team Plasma and the Awakening Ceremony!, he also took control of Pikachu again, forcing N to surrender the Light Stone to Team Plasma in exchange for Ash's safety. He appeared again in What Lies Beyond Truth and Ideals!, aiding Ghetsis in taking control of the awakened Reshiram. When Ash and Pikachu tried to stop him, he used his machine on Pikachu yet again. However, this time Pikachu was able to fight against its control, and - together with Reshiram - destroyed Colress's machine once and for all, thus freeing the controlled Pokémon. Later Colress and the other Team Plasma members were arrested by Looker, thus bringing the team down. As Officer Jenny took Team Plasma into custody, Colress mentioned his next project will be a device that allows Pokémon to communicate with people.
- Aldith (アンジー Angie)
- Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe (Japanese), Lori Gardner (English)
- A member of Team Plasma, Aldith first appeared in Team Plasma's Pokémon Power Plot!, observing Colress's work with controlling wild Pokémon with radio waves. During the tests, she experienced some friction with the scientist in terms of their ultimate goals; while Aldith expected the results of the experiment to help Team Plasma's takeover of Unova, Colress was merely interested in unlocking the true strength of Pokémon. When Looker, Ash and his friends arrived, she ordered her fellow grunts to hold them off until Colress's test subjects were battle-ready, at which point she led a retreat to lure her foes into their observatory base. Aldith commanded Colress's brainwashed wild Pokémon against the intruders, as well as Pikachu when Colress attached a transmitter to its head. When Pikachu managed to overcome the brainwashing, Aldith had to remind an intrigued Colress about the situation. After Team Rocket's interference destroyed Colress's machine, freeing the mind-controlled Pokémon, Aldith joined her teammates in retreat, using a self-destruct mechanism to destroy the observatory and get rid of the remaining evidence of their activity. She reappeared in Team Plasma's Pokémon Manipulation!, where she was once again monitoring a mind-controlling experiment of Colress, this time on a Haxorus. When Team Rocket showed up in an attempt to steal Colress's mind-controlling device, a battle started between Aldith's Liepard and Jessie and James's Woobat and Amoonguss. During the battle, one of Liepard's Shadow Balls missed its target and accidentally hit the machine, freeing the controlled Pokémon and forcing Team Plasma to retreat. Aldith had a short appearance in Secrets From Out of the Fog!, communicating with Ghetsis alongside Colress. She appeared in Meowth, Colress and Team Rivalry! as part of Colress's security force at his latest lab. When Team Rocket appeared, she, along with Barret and several other Grunts, chased the trio out into the woods. There, they were drawn into a trap and did not escape for some time. Aldith appeared with the rest of Team Plasma for the beginning of their operation at the White Ruins in Ash and N: A Clash of Ideals!. She appeared in Team Plasma and the Awakening Ceremony! and What Lies Beyond Truth and Ideals! as well. She—along with Ghetsis, Colress, and Barret—was arrested in the end.
- Barret (ブラッド Brad)
- Voiced by: Kensuke Satō (Japanese), Darren Dunstan (English)
- A member of Team Plasma, Barret first appeared with two other grunts looking for N under Ghetsis's orders. Barret was able to find N when he used a locator inside his briefcase and deduced the hidden location. With N found, Barret started attacking the Pokémon with Magnezone but Anthea and Concordia's Gardevoir and Gothitelle blocked the attacks with Protect. Ash decided to deal with Barret while Iris and Cilan handled the other two. While Cilan's Pansage attacked Magnezone, a collision of Bullet Seed and Magnet Bomb caused an explosion. The seeds went flying in which Pignite's snout became stuck by one of the stray seeds. With Barret's Magnezone defeated by Pikachu afterwards, a fog occurred which prevented Barret from seeing anything and allowed Ash and his friends to get away. Barret became upset about not being able to capture N and left the forest. In Meowth, Colress and Team Rivalry!, when Team Rocket hacked into Team Plasma's data, the trio imprisoned Barret, Aldith and the grunts while they were running off with the data. However, Barret had Magnezone confuse some nearby Pokémon to break them free. In Ash and N: A Clash of Ideals!, he battled with Cedric Juniper's assistants' Pokémon with Colress's aid. In Team Plasma and the Awakening Ceremony!, he tried to stop Ash and his Pokémon from saving the others using the ones Colress had managed to control with his machine. He was arrested alongside Ghetsis, Colress, Aldith and the other Grunts in What Lies Beyond Truth and Ideals! by Looker, after Ghetsis' plan of using Reshiram failed.
Team Flare (フレア団 Flare-dan, Flare Gang), is the crime syndicate in the Kalos region. Their sole goal is to find the Legendary Pokémon, Zygarde and wipe out the ugliness within humanity to create a new "beautiful world".
- Lysandre (フラダリ Fleur-de-lis)
- Voiced by: Hideaki Tezuka (Japanese), H.D. Quinn (English)
- Lysandre is the leader of Team Flare, and the creator of Lysandre Labs, the creators of the Holo Caster. Lysandre is a calm, respected man, who works together with the scientists of his own laboratory, the Lysandre Labs, in order to craft many products to create a better future. Despite his somewhat friendly behavior, deep down lies a dark man working with Team Flare to capture Zygarde with a red core, who escaped from his lab, and with the blue core, who is reported to be seen at Terminus Cave. Malva, who works with Lysandre, is somewhat intrigued he managed to get a hold of Alain, who is obeying his every command. He is able to take control of blue-core Zygarde and launches a full-out attack on Lumiose City, devastating it. Alain and Ash team up and defeat him and Bonnie and Clemont are able to free the controlled Zygarde. He retreats and makes use of a third Zygarde, this one of a giant rock, which has a connection to Mega Evolution. The blue-core and red-core Zygarde join forms into 100% form and destroy the fossil and, in a first for the series, kill the team leader.
- Xerosic (クセロシキ Xerosicy)
- Voiced by: Tsuguo Mogami (Japanese), Abe Goldfarb (English)
- A scientist of Team Flare. In the past, Xerosic, alongside Lysandre and the other Team Flare Scientists, would help those in need, until Lysandre became disillusioned with the human race and sought to restart the world. Xerosic made his debut appearance in From A to Z!. He was first seen at Lysandre Labs, receiving information that both Mable and Celosia had failed in their missions to capture 50% Zygarde and Zygarde Core, respectively. He then informed them that Aliana and Bryony would now take on the capturing missions as well. At the end of the episode, he was seen watching the footage Bryony had sent of her encounter with 10% Zygarde together with Lysandre. He became excited over discovering that Zygarde possessed a power Team Flare had previously been unaware of. He reappeared in Meeting at Terminus Cave!, again coordinating Team Flare's attacks on Squishy and the study of Zygarde's powers. In A Meeting of Two Journeys!, Xerosic traveled to a remote island with a pair of Team Flare Admins and some Team Flare Grunts. They conducted a test of a prototype weapon developed by Team Flare to utilize the energy of the Zygarde Cores and Mega Evolution. The weapon's laser, when fired, caused the trees on the island to grow wildly and begin blooming red flowers. This result pleased Xerosic, who contacted Lysandre with the news. He later continued these experiments in A Full-Strength Battle Surprise!. Following Z2's capture in An Explosive Operation!, Xerosic was often seen monitoring Z2 and performing experiments on it, using the Giant Rock that Lysandre captured back in Mega Evolution Special III. In Kalos League Passion with a Certain Flare!, Xerosic and several Grunts sitting in the driver's seat of a truck outside the Lumiose Gym, contacted Lysandre through a Team Flare Admin's Holo Caster. Afterwards, he was seen inside the Lumiose Gym, where he and some Team Flare Grunts set up some of their equipment that they transported from the trucks that they drove in, including glass cases that held Z2 and some Zygarde Cells. In Down to the Fiery Finish!, he used Team Flare's Mega Evolution energy weapon to take control of Z2, causing it to unleash massive roots thorugh Lumiose City. During the crisis, Xerosic remained in the Lumiose Gym, overseeing Team Flare's operation and operating the Mega Evolution energy weapon, and eventually succeeded in controlling Squishy as well. When Clemont and Clembot managed to infiltrate into the Gym in The Right Hero for the Right Job!, Xerosic was challenged by Clemont to a battle for the Lumiose Gym. He was also told that his machine was not an invention, since inventions should help people and Pokémon, infuriating him. During the battle, Clembot secretly began disabling the Mega Evolution ray. When Xerosic was defeated, he finally took notice of Clembot deactivating the machine. As he was running towards Clembot, however, he was sent tumbling down a trapdoor, ejecting him out of the Lumiose Gym. Xerosic reappeared in Facing the Needs of the Many!, where he was planning to create Team Neo Flare. He kidnapped Clemont as an act of revenge for defeating him during the Team Flare crisis. He then used his Mega Evolution ray to take control of Clemont. Once Ash, Serena, Bonnie, and Ash's Greninja arrived, Xerosic ordered Clemont to annihilate them. However, Clemont had placed a microchip on the side of his head beforehand to prevent himself from being controlled. Outraged, he battled Ash and Clemont, but lost. He then attempted to escape by jumping out of his helicopter, but was grabbed in time by Clemont's Aipom Arm. After the helicopter landed, he was arrested by Officer Jenny.
- Celosia (コレアCorrea)
- Voiced by: Karin Nanami (Japanese), Rebecca Soler (English)
- A member of Team Flare. In the past, Celosia, alongside Lysandre and the other Team Flare Scientists, would help those in need, until Lysandre became disillusioned with the human race and sought to restart the world. Celosia debuted in the anime in From A to Z!. She was first seen leading a group of Team Flare Grunts to recapture the Zygarde Core that had escaped from Lysandre Labs. She managed to find the Zygarde Core, but thanks to Ash, his friends, and Sawyer's interference, she was unable to retrieve it. When she later informed Xerosic of what had happened, she was told that Bryony had been tasked with capturing the Core as well. During the following night, Celosia led yet another group of Grunts in an attempt to capture the Core, but with Ash and Sawyer covering Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie's retreat, she was once again unsuccessful. She reappeared in Meeting at Terminus Cave!, teaming up with Bryony to retrieve the Core (now called Squishy by Bonnie) in Terminus Cave. After a prolonged struggle, during which Team Rocket interfered as well, Team Flare was forced to retreat, as they were unable to defeat Ash's Greninja and Squishy had fled. In the next episode, she, along with Bryony and several Grunts, monitored sensors to find Squishy. Celosia and Bryony also ordered two Grunts to watch Ash and his friends. Later, the sensors caught energy waves coming from Squishy and Z2, and managed to determine Squishy's location. However, they were unable to make it in time and lost sight of Squishy, as it had stopped emitting energy waves. Celosia and Bryony then ordered the pursuit squad to withdraw, as they thought Squishy probably wouldn't return to Ash and his friends, and decided to narrow their search. Celosia appeared again in A Towering Takeover!, during Team Flare's attack on Lumiose City, where she appeared before Ash and Alain. Celosia revealed she was ordered to capture Ash and told him about Alain's affiliation with Team Flare. She then had her Drapion use Confuse Ray on Ash and Pikachu, making them lose consciousness, allowing Team Flare to capture them. In the following episode, Celosia was seen at Lysandre Labs with Mable, where the two saw the helicopter, containing Serena, Mairin, Professor Sycamore, and Team Rocket, nearing their hideout through their security cameras. Upon the infiltration of their base, in the next episode, Celosia went to stop Serena and the rest. She and her Drapion then faced Team Rocket in battle. Celosia continued battling in Rocking Kalos Defenses! and was now joined by Mable and her Weavile. However, the two Scientists were quickly defeated and subdued in Team Rocket's net trap.
- Mable (モミジ Momiji)
- Voiced by: Sayuri Hara (Japanese), Laurie Hymes (English)
- A member of Team Flare. In the past, Mable, alongside Lysandre and the other Team Flare Scientists, would help those in need, until Lysandre became disillusioned with the human race and sought to restart the world. Mable made her anime debut in From A to Z!. She was first seen leading a group of Team Flare Grunts in Terminus Cave, where they attempted to capture 50% Zygarde. However, all of their Pokémon's combined attacks didn't even phase the Legendary Pokémon, which used Land's Wrath on the villainous team members before disappearing. Mable was later seen informing Lysandre and Xerosic of the failure of her mission. Mable briefly appeared in Meeting at Terminus Cave! in a video call with Xerosic, where she and Aliana were ordered to head to Z2 after Team Flare discovered its location thanks to their sensors. She reappeared in An Explosive Operation!, where she, Aliana, and several Team Flare Grunts were trying to capture Z2. She managed to hit Z2 with a beam from her specialized gun, preventing Z2 from camouflaging itself. When she and Aliana ordered their Pokémon, Weavile and Druddigon, to attack Z2, it transformed into its 10% Forme and used its powerful attacks to defeat Team Flare and managed to escape. She and Aliana caught up to it, only to face Team Rocket, who wanted Z2 for themselves. Due to Team Rocket's intervention, Z2 managed to escape once again. Team Flare, however, quickly found them and a battle between both teams took place. After a prolonged struggle, Team Flare emerged victorious and managed to corner Z2. This, however, triggered Z2 to transform to its 50% Forme and it easily blew Mable and the others back. As Z2 was about to finish them off, Alain and his Charizard interfered and battled Z2 to buy her and Aliana time. While Z2 was battling, she and Aliana surprised it by shooting it with their laser guns, finally bringing it down and captured it, completing their mission. During Team Flare's attack on Lumiose City, Mable had been ordered to stay at Lysandre Labs. In Coming Apart at the Dreams!, she and Celosia saw a helicopter containing Serena, Mairin, Professor Sycamore, and Team Rocket nearing Lysandre Labs through their security cameras. In the following episode, Mable tried taking down the helicopter with her Weavile, but she was attacked by Steven and his Metagross. She and several Team Flare Grunts then faced Steven in battle, but were presumably defeated. Mable appeared again in Rocking Kalos Defenses!, where she joined Celosia in her battle against Team Rocket. However, the two Scientists were quickly defeated and subdued.
- Aliana (アケビ Akebi)
- Voiced by: Rinko Natsuhi (Japanese), Theresa Buchheister (English)
- A member of Team Flare. In the past, Aliana, alongside Lysandre and the other Team Flare Scientists, would help those in need, until Lysandre became disillusioned with the human race and sought to restart the world. Aliana debuted in the anime in From A to Z!. She was seen at Lysandre Labs with Bryony when Xerosic informed that she would be tasked with capturing 50% Zygarde, which Mable had recently failed to accomplish. Aliana briefly appeared in Meeting at Terminus Cave! in a video call with Xerosic, where she and Mable got ordered to head to Z2 after Team Flare found out its location thanks to their sensors. She reappeared in An Explosive Operation!, where she, Mable and several Team Flare Grunts were trying to capture Z2. When she and Mable ordered their Pokémon, Druddigon and Weavile, to attack Z2, it transformed into its 10% Forme and used its powerful attacks to blow Team Flare away and managed to escape. She and Mable quickly managed to catch up to it, only to face Team Rocket, who wanted Z2 for themselves. Thanks to Team Rocket, Z2 managed to escape once again. Team Flare, however, quickly found them and a battle between both took place. After a prolonged struggle, Team Flare emerged victorious and managed to corner Z2. This, however, triggered Z2 to transform to its 50% Forme and easily blew Aliana and the others back. As Z2 was about to finish them off, Alain and his Charizard interfered and battled Z2 to buy her and Mable time. While Z2 was battling, she and Mable surprised it by shooting it with their laser guns, finally bringing it down and captured it, completing their mission. Aliana appeared again in A Towering Takeover!, during Team Flare's attack on Lumiose City, where she was guarding the Prism Tower with Bryony and used her Druddigon to prevent Serena, Clemont, Bonnie, Clembot, and Blaziken Mask from entering. In the following episode, she and Bryony battled against Clemont, Clembot, and Blaziken Mask, but both ended up getting defeated and were captured, allowing Clemont and Clembot to enter Prism Tower.
- Bryony (バラ Bara)
- Voiced by Akane Fujita (Japanese), Emily Woo Zeller (English)
- A member of Team Flare. In the past, Bryony, alongside Lysandre and the other Team Flare Scientists, would help those in need, until Lysandre became disillusioned with the human race and sought to restart the world. Bryony made her anime debut in From A to Z!, where Xerosic sent her to retrieve the Zygarde Core that had escaped from Lysandre Labs. She was later seen cornering the Core, but the Core managed to summon its nearby Cells, allowing it to transform into its 10% Forme and counterattack, forcing Bryony and her assistant Grunts to retreat. She was later seen informing Celosia of what had happened. She reappeared in Meeting at Terminus Cave!, teaming up with Celosia to retrieve Squishy in Terminus Cave. After a prolonged struggle, during which Team Rocket interfered as well, Team Flare was forced to retreat, as they were unable to defeat Ash's Greninja and Squishy had fled. In the next episode, she, along with Celosia and several Grunts, monitored sensors to find Squishy. Bryony and Celosia also ordered two Grunts to watch Ash and his friends. Later, the sensors caught energy waves coming from Squishy and Z2 and managed to determine Squishy's location. They, however, were unable to make it in time and lost sight of Squishy, as it had stopped emitting energy waves. Bryony and Celosia then ordered the pursuit squad to withdraw, as they thought Squishy probably wouldn't return to Ash and his friends, and decided to narrow their search. Bryony appeared again in A Towering Takeover!, during Team Flare's attack on Lumiose City, where she was guarding the Prism Tower with Aliana. In the following episode, she and Bryony battled against some of Clemont's Pokémon and Blaziken Mask's Blaziken, but both ended up getting defeated and were captured by Clembot, allowing Clemont and Clembot to enter Prism Tower.
- Team Skull (スカル団 Skull-dan, Skull Gang)
- Team Skull is composed of misfits who failed the island challenge. They steal Pokémon from people, but unlike previous villainous teams, they do not have a specific goal other than to cause trouble and acquire enough money to support themselves. In a stark contrast to other villainous teams, they do not pose a serious threat to the wellbeing of Alola and its residents, the majority of whom consider them thuggish nuisances at worst. Team Skull originated from a group that coalesced around one of Alola's kahunas. This group provoked the wrath of the four island deities and was struck down. The survivors became the first members of Team Skull. At some point, Team Skull took over Po Town on Ula'ula Island, driving away the original residents, vandalising the buildings with graffiti and structural damage along with generally preventing others from entering the town and hindering the flow of electricity.
- Delia Ketchum (ハナコ Hanako)
- Voiced by: Masami Toyoshima (Japanese), Veronica Taylor (4Kids, English), Sarah Natochenny (TPCI, English)
- She is Ash's mother. Delia is very caring toward her son, always reminding him to do his best. She is very talented, having won a beauty pageant and cooked a dish so popular that elite chefs at the Indigo Plateau have asked for its recipe. It is not known who is the father of Ash, but it isn't clear that Ash's parents have separated, although she has contacted him at least once since Ash left. She has a Mr. Mime housekeeper who helps her with chores and is also rather adept in battle. In the Japanese version, the name of Satoshi's mother was, for a long time, unrevealed (with her referring to herself as Satoshi no haha or referred as Mama-san, although the role was credited as Hanako). The name Hanako (and its English counterpart, Delia) was revealed during the second Pokémon movie. She is also constantly reminding Ash to change his underwear.
- Johanna (アヤコ Ayako)
- Voiced by: Makoto Tsumura (Japanese), Sarah Natochenny (English)
- She is Dawn's mother. She told Dawn that in order to become a great Pokémon Coordinator, she would have to learn from Trainers and Breeders as well. Later, when Dawn was about to leave for her journey with a large suitcase full of clothes and jewelry, Johanna gave her a small backpack. As a young girl, she was shown participating in a Pokémon Contest in a flashback against her childhood rival, Lila. It was revealed that Lila was the first person to defeat Johanna, breaking her winning streak. However, after seeing how passionate Johanna was about Contests, she started questioning what she really wanted to do. She sat down to talk to Johanna and the two decided they would pursue what they would be best at, with Johanna competing in Contests and Lila studying to become a Pokémon Stylist. Johanna is an accomplished Pokémon Coordinator, having won the Ribbon Cup and the title of Top Coordinator after winning the Sinnoh Grand Festival when she was younger. Dawn grew up inspired by her achievements and decided to follow in her footsteps, wanting to become a great Coordinator as well. When Dawn left on her journey, Johanna gave her the first Contest Ribbon she received, which both of them carried as a good luck charm. Johanna watches all of Dawn's Contests on television along with her Glameow. She also has newspaper articles about Dawn's victories and pictures of her competing in Contests and the Hearthome Collection in her living room. Although she keeps track of Dawn's journey, she doesn't like to get too involved, telling Dawn she would be better off relying on her friends and her Pokémon instead of her mother, and to use her losses as a learning opportunity. While one might think that her skills have gotten rusty since she became a mother, it turns out that she teaches a Coordinator class out of her home, even having a battlefield behind her house for instructing her students. As a result, her skills are still as sharp as ever, as shown when she battled Dawn.
- Norman (センリ Senri)
- Voiced by: Jūrōta Kosugi (Japanese), Dan Green (English)
- Norman is the father of May and Max, and the husband of Caroline. Very early in his Hoenn journey, Ash arrived with May in Petalburg City in the hope of getting his first Gym battle. Ash found the Petalburg Gym and met Max, who posed as if he was the Gym Leader. May stopped him and allowed Ash to meet her parents, Caroline and Norman. Norman turned out be to the real Petalburg City Gym Leader. Norman used his Pokémon, a Vigoroth, to save May's Torchic from Team Rocket. Norman is a good friend of Professor Birch and was most likely the person to send May to Littleroot Town to get her first Pokémon. As May did not initially like Pokémon, this seemed to have created some distance between the two. Before Ash knew that Norman was May's father, he commented that it sounded like she knew the Petalburg Gym Leader pretty well, to which she replied, "No, I just wish I did," and became subdued. In Love, Petalburg Style!, when Ash and his friends visited Petalburg City again, May and Max tried to figure out why Norman and Caroline were getting all worked up as Ash tried to save Norman's three Pokémon from Team Rocket. It all turned out that Norman had Nurse Joy set up a special firework display to make fireworks in a form of a Beautifly as a wedding anniversary gift for Caroline. Ash had his Gym battle with Norman in Balance of Power. Using his Grovyle, Pikachu, and Torkoal, Ash defeated Norman's Pokémon. Upset by his father's loss, Max stole the Balance Badge and locked himself up in Norman's greenhouse. Norman was able to calm Max down, and Max gave Ash his Balance Badge.
- Grace (サキ Saki)
- Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame (Japanese), Erica Schroeder (English)
- She is Serena's mother. Grace made her debut appearance in Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!, where she had her Fletchling wake up Serena for her since she herself was not successful in doing so. After Serena woke up, Grace told her to get ready for Rhyhorn riding practice. In Lumiose City Pursuit, Grace had Serena ride on her Rhyhorn in order to become an accomplished Rhyhorn racer. However, as Serena had trouble controlling it, she fell off it. Later, Grace told Serena to watch the news as it featured a Garchomp going on a rampage in Lumiose City. In A Battle of Aerial Mobility!, Grace wished Serena good luck on her journey as her daughter set off to Lumiose City to get her first Pokémon. She appeared again in Giving Chase at the Rhyhorn Race!, where Serena introduced her to Fennekin, Ash, Clemont, Bonnie, Pikachu, and Dedenne. Grace then told Serena to continue traveling with Ash and the others, saying that it would be good for her. She reappeared in A Race for Home! and Under the Pledging Tree!, and in a flashback in A Showcase Debut!. She appeared in Performing with Fiery Charm!, where she watched Serena competing in the Dendemille Town Pokémon Showcase on television, alongside her Rhyhorn and Fletchling. She appeared in Master Class is in Session!, Serena contacted Grace a day before the Master Class tournament. Serena admitted she was nervous, but Grace advised her to think about winning, since Grace wishes this before every race, since Grace was also nervous. As promised, Grace came to Glorio City and watched Serena's performance in person. She then reappeared in Performing a Pathway to the Future!, Grace continued to watch the Showcase and shouted how the finalist, Serena, was her daughter. After watching the Showcase (which resulted in Serena's loss), Grace went to see Serena and overheard how Palermo gave advice to Serena, offering to be her mentor. Later, Grace spoke to Serena, knowing she did her best in the Showcase, which is all what mattered. Grace bid farewell to her daughter and her friends and went back home. Grace appeared again in The First Day of the Rest of your Life!, watching Serena's performance along with Shauna and Jessie. Then after the excitement, the gang went over to Meyer's place for a meal. After the meal, Grace decides to go back to her hotel. Serena asks if she can sleep with her tonight, which Grace allows. During the night, as they are lying in bed, Grace wonders if Serena wanted to ask something, since it is unusual of her to ask if she can sleep with her mother. Serena admits she loves performing and saw today what she couldn't see before. When she saw how many people were happy, Serena wishes to make them all smile, like Aria does. However, she also feels she could lose everything she gained so far. Grace doubts that, thinking there is much more to that and Serena cannot simplify everything she strived so far. Grace simply asks of Serena to have some confidence, reminding Serena is her daughter. Without further ado, they go to sleep. The next morning, Grace decides to go back home, since she got to see Serena and her performance. Grace asks of her to call once she has found something to solve her issue. Grace also invites them to her house in Vaniville Town. Thus, Grace bids farewell and takes a bus back home. She reappeared in Till We Compete Again!, in one of Serena's memories.
- Meyer (リモーネ Limoone)
- Blaziken Mask (バシャーモかめん Bursyamo Mask)
- Voiced by: Kensuke Satō (Japanese), Tom Wayland (XY009-XY066), Wayne Grayson (XY067-present) (English)
- Meyer is the father of Clemont and Bonnie. Meyer first appeared as Blaziken Mask in Lumiose City Pursuit!. He was first seen standing on a rooftop in Lumiose City after his Blaziken saved Ash from falling off of the Prism Tower. The two then left by leaping away. He appeared in person for the first time in Clemont's Got a Secret!, riding a motorcycle with his Ampharos in Lumiose City. After surprising his two children, Clemont and Bonnie introduced him as their father and the manager of an electrical appliance store. Learning that his two children have new friends, he was moved and started crying. While Clemont introduced him to Serena, Meyer praised his son for finding "a beautiful girlfriend." Before leaving, he reminded Clemont that strictness is not enough for one to become a Trainer and unintentionally revealed to Ash and Serena that Clemont is also the Lumiose Gym Leader. At the end of the episode, Clemont revealed to him that the Clembot would temporarily serve as the Gym Leader, while he and Bonnie would travel with Ash and Serena to become stronger. Deeply moved, he hugged his two children and called for a party to celebrate, allowing them to continue on their journey. While the children were sleeping, Blaziken Mask leaped off the buildings in Lumiose City. Meyer reappeared in the next episode, when Ash and Clemont passed by him and Ampharos as they pursued Team Rocket. He arrived as Blaziken Mask using his Blaziken to save Ash, Pikachu, Serena, Clemont, Bonnie, Professor Sycamore, and Chespin from Team Rocket's mecha before the two leap away. He was seen in a flashback in A Campus Reunion. Meyer reappeared in Confronting the Darkness! when he reunited with Bonnie and Clemont once more. He came to Lumiose City's police station after the Clembot had been arrested by Officer Jenny. When Alexa appeared and she told the group that she had been investigating the crimes the Clembot had been framed for, she mentioned that Blaziken Mask had some involvement in it. Hearing this, Meyer became visibly nervous. That night, he changed into Blaziken Mask and hurried to the Lumiose Museum, where Ash and his friends were battling the culprit actually responsible for the Clembot's crimes. At the spot, he had his Blaziken defeat Team Rocket, who had just stolen the Clembot and the Dark Clembot, the robot responsible for the crimes. After this, he watched his son and the Clembot battle the Dark Clembot and its creator Belmondo. When Belmondo was defeated by Clemont and arrested by Officer Jenny, he asked Ash and Clemont about their Gym Battle, and then quickly left, wishing them good luck with their battle. In the next episode, Meyer watched the Gym Battle between Ash and his son. In Garchomp's Mega Bond!, he reappeared as Blaziken Mask. His true identity was discovered and known by Professor Sycamore by the end of the episode. Meyer reappeared in Kalos League Passion with a Certain Flare!, where he, along with Clembot, provided some food to Ash and his friends along with Sawyer and their Pokémon. Meyer next appeared during Down to the Fiery Finish!, doing some work on a roof with Clembot listening to the match with Alain and Ash on the radio. He reappeared as Blaziken Mask in A Towering Takeover!, where he joined the fight against Team Flare. He protested against Clemont and Bonnie getting involved in the conflict, but relented when he saw how much they cared for their Gym and Squishy, respectively. He reappeared in Coming Apart at the Dreams!, saving Bonnie from some rampant vines that were being generated by Z2. He then tried to stop her from confronting Squishy. He reappeared in The Right Hero for the Right Job!, where he protected Bonnie from a rampant Squishy. He initially tried to prevent her from confronting the mind-controlled Order Pokémon, but once more relented upon seeing how much Bonnie cared for Squishy. When it seemed Zygarde was going to attack Bonnie anyway, even after she sang her song for it, Meyer was prepared to use his body as a living shield for Bonnie, but Squishy snapped out of its mind control and redirected the attack. He appeared again in Rocking Kalos Defenses! and Forming a More Perfect Union! where he and Blaziken were among those trying to stop the Giant Rock. After an attack, his secret identity was accidentally revealed to his children. He appeared again in Battling With a Clean Slate!, where he helped repair the Lumiose Gym. Later, he refereed the Gym battle between Clembot and Alvin. He also reappeared in The First Day of the Rest of Your Life!. He reappeared again in Till We Compete Again!, during some flashbacks.
- Lusamine (ルザミーネ Ruzamiine)
- Voiced by: Sayaka Kinoshita (Japanese), TBA (English)
- She is Lillie's mother. Lusamine is seen as a very serious and determined woman due to her role as the leader alongside her members, Professor Burnet, Wicke and Faba from the Aether Foundation. Upon her family, she can be very ditsy similar to Lola's when she keeps doting towards her daughter Lillie, like messing around with her hair. Like Aria, Lusamine is constantly getting abrupt phone calls from her cellphone due to her busy works at the foundation, which makes her unable to spend more time with her children. When Faba uses Nebby’s power to open the gate of Nihilego’s dimension, Lusamine is not without her darker side upon happily seeing Nihilego enter the Pokémon world. However, she manages to snap out of her darker side and focus on the safety of her children. As Ash and the gang entered Ultra Deep Sea with Nebby, Lusamine's darker side of her personality ended up becoming a perfect subject of Nihilego's fusion with her, corrupting her will completely. After the fusion with Nihilego is complete, she started acting like a child and kept telling her children as well as Ash and the gang to go away. Although, she was soon ensnared and engulfed by Nihilego when she is progressively regaining her will and recognizes her love for her children until Ash defeats it to rescue her. Once she is finally diffuses with Nihilego from its defeat, Lusamine also became deeply emotional towards her children upon their reunion once more.
- Nurse Joy (ジョーイ Jōi)
- Voiced by: Ayako Shiraishi (EP002-EP229, Japanese), Yuriko Yamaguchi (EP245-EP488; EP517-EP656, Japanese), Kikuko Inoue (Temp. Replacement from EP491-EP516, Japanese), Chika Fujimura (EP659-EP795, Japanese), Chinatsu Akasaki (EP802-present, Japanese), Megan Hollingshead (Season 1-6, English), Erica Schroeder (Season 7-8, Season 16, English), Michele Knotz (Season 9-13, English), Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld (Season 14-16, English) Kate Bristol (Season 17-19, English) Suzy Myers (Season 20, English)
- "Joy" is the shared last name of the Joy family, in which most members are nurses. They mainly work in Pokémon Centers, but they also work in other locations. They are also often accompanied by a Chansey or Blissey (throughout Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh) or Audino (throughout Unova), or Wigglytuff (through Kalos). Like Chansey, Blissey, Audino, and Wigglytuff, all Nurse Joys are mostly hospitable, especially towards Pokémon. Brock, who claims to be able to tell the Joys just by minor appearance details (different-colored crosses on their hats; hair is slightly shorter; smile is wider; etc.), is infatuated with every Nurse Joy he meets, and often has to be restrained by a traveling companion. Although all of them look almost identical to each other, some do have different personalities, and a few even other occupations besides nursing. There is a Nurse Joy who is a body builder, a contest judge and even one who is scared of water Pokémon. In the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl series, there was also a Nurse Joy who is married and has two daughters who both have the name "Joy" at the end of their names and looks exactly like their mother rather than their father. Pokémon: The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga author Toshihiro Ono cited her as one of his favorite characters to draw for the series, stating the reason as "because she's a girl".
- Officer Jenny (ジュンサー Junsā, Junsar)
- Voiced by: Chinami Nishimura (EP002-EP632, Japanese), Chiaki Takahashi (EP663-EP795, Japanese), Chiemi Ishimatsu (EP801-present, Japanese) Lee Quick (Season 1-7, English), Jamie Davyous Owens (Season 8, English), Emlyn Morinelli McFarland (Season 9-13, English), Emily Bauer (Season 14-16, English), Saskia Maarleveld (Season 17 present, English) 
- "Jenny" is the shared last name of the Jenny family, in which most members are police officers and maintain the law and order in the Pokémon world and often oppose members of Team Rocket. The Japanese name, junsaa, means "police officer". Officer Jennies are often accompanied by Growlithe or a particular Pokémon that is of importance in a town or a personal preference to that Jenny, such as a Wobbuffet, Spinarak or even a Chatot. There are also many with trademark items to differentiate some, but are just as few as the Joys. The only differences are the symbols on their hats and their uniforms (which are different depending on their region.)
- Vivian Meridian (ビビアン Bibian)
- Voiced by: Yumi Takada (Japanese), Lisa Adams (4Kids), Sonny Dey (PUSA/DuArt) (English)
- Vivian Meridian is the main Pokémon Contest host of the Hoenn region and the older sister of Lilian Meridian.
- Lilian Meridian (リリアン)
- Voiced by: Akemi Okamura (Japanese), Lisa Adams (4Kids), Kayzie Rogers (PUSA/DuArt) (English)
- Lilian Meridian is the main Pokémon Contest host for the Kanto region and the younger sister of Vivian Meridian.
- Raoul Contesta (コンテスタ Contesuta)
- Voiced by: Koichi Sakaguchi (Japanese) Mike Pollock (Season 6-8, Season 13, English) Craig Blair (Season 9-12, English)
- Mr. Contesta is main judge of the three contest judges of Pokémon Contests. He is usually the first one to comment on the Pokémon, and the one who offers advice to the Coordinators. He is critical, but fair in his judgments.
- Mr. Sukizo (スキゾー Sukizou-san)
- Voiced by: Yoshinori Sonobe (Japanese) Darren Dunstan (Season 6-8, English) Jimmy Zoppi (Season 9-13, English)
- Mr. Sukizo is one of the three judges for Pokémon contests, alongside Mr. Contesta and Nurse Joy. His appearance resembles that of a male PokéFan, which may have served as inspiration for his design. Sukizo is a man of few words as the only thing he ever seems to say is "I like it" (好きですね). In the English adaptation of the series, his phrase is "remarkable".
- Lyra (コトネ Kotone)
- Voiced by: Megumi Nakajima (Japanese), Eileen Stevens (English)
- Lyra is a female trainer from Johto who joins Ash and friends for a couple of episodes (from "An Egg Scramble! to "Bagged Then Tagged!"). Lyra is based on the female player character of the same name in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. In "A Rivalry To Gible On", Lyra tried to make Dawn and Khoury a couple, but realized that she had feelings for Khoury.
- Angie (アオイ Aoi)
- Voiced by: Miho Hino (Japanese), Zoe Martin (English)
- Angie is a girl who lives in Sinnoh. She was first seen in the episode when Ash, Brock, and Dawn, attended a Week-Long Summer School program for Pokémon Trainers. She showed her confident side by testing Monferno (as a test of the Summer Academy), telling it to hit her with Ember and Mach Punch. While doing so, she dodged the practice attacks and taunted Monferno, sparking frustration. The result was that its power grew, and it beat her up to the point of bruises, which she didn't mind. She served as the tomboyish rival/friend for Ash, even though she develops a friendship with him and had a crush on him later on.
- Khoury (カズナリ Kazunari)
- Voiced by: Kenji Nojima (Japanese), Christopher Niosi (English)
- He is a male trainer from Johto who joins Ash and friends for a couple of episodes (from "An Egg Scramble! to "Bagged Then Tagged!"). He, like Brock, wants to become a breeder someday.
- Don George (ドン・ジョージ Don Jōji)
- Voiced by: Hisao Egawa (Japanese), Marc Thompson (English)
- "Don George" is the name of the owners of Pokémon Battle Clubs (ポケモンバトルクラブ Pokémon Batoru Kurabu) throughout Unova. Like the Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys, there are many Don Georges that are all identical, but having different colored collars and wrist bands.
- Luke (ルーク Rūku)
- Voiced by: Minami Takayama (Japanese), Billy Bob Thompson (English)
- Luke is a young Pokémon trainer and amateur filmmaker Ash, Iris, and Cilan meet with when they reach Nimbasa City. He uses his Zorua, Golett, and Leavanny to make films, and has Ash, Cilan, and Iris help him finish his latest film. He later joins them in signing up for the Don Battle tournament, using his Larvesta to reach the semi-finals.
- Cynthia (シロナ Shirona)
- Voiced by: Tomo Sakurai (Japanese), Emily Bauer (English)
- Cynthia is the reigning Champion of the Sinnoh League. Her side interests are in studying the archaeology and legends of the Sinnoh Region. She appears many times throughout the Diamond & Pearl series where helps Ash and his friends try to stop Team Galactic from reaching their ultimate goal. Successful, she later appears at the Sinnoh League tournament where she observes the battles as the league's Champion. She reappears in Best Wishes! Season 2 and reunites with Ash, as she has arranged to enter Unova's Pokémon World Tournament Junior Cup for a demonstration match against a member of Unova's Elite 4. For the first few episodes of the Season, Ash and his friends (along with Dawn) stay at her villa in Undella Town.
- N (エヌ N)
- Voiced by: Yūichi Nakamura (Japanese), Nicholas DiMichele (English)
- Unlike the games, N is not a villain, but an ally to Ash and his friends. Like his game counterpart, N can hear the inner voices of Pokémon and believes that humans are using them for their own gain. However, he is not part of Team Plasma, but rather a defected member; Ghetsis raised him along with Anthea and Concordia, making them believe Pokémon cannot be equals with humans unless they are released from all Poké Balls. A short time before the present, N was about to be crowned King of Team Plasma in Ghetsis' plan to use N's pure-hearted desire to save Pokémon to summon Reshiram and enslave it. However, the attempt backfired, and left Team Plasma's castle destroyed by Fusion Flare. N, along with Anthea and Concordia fled to a secluded abandoned castle, where they spent their time tending to mistreated Pokémon (in other words he is a Pokémon version of an animal rights activist).
- Mairin (マノン Manon)
- Voiced by: Mikako Komatsu (Japanese) Zoe Martin (English)
- Mairin is a Pokémon trainer and companion of Alain. Mairin is a cheeky person, who always wants to experience adventure. Accompanied by her Chespin nicknamed Chespie, Mairin tries to cheer Alain up at times (who usually dismisses her attempts). Mairin is, at times, confused, mixing that she can Mega Evolve, rather than her Pokémon. Mairin is also angry when Alain left her, but when he is in danger, she tries her best to protect him, even if it means at the cost of her life. After Alain brushed her off, claiming she is just a burden to him, Mairin is greatly depressed, especially after Chespie gets ill when it got affected by a strange green light. Also it seems Mairin admires both Alain, even when he pushes her away or just tries to get away from her, and Serena due to their skills and confidences.
- West, Tracy; Noll, Katherine (September 2006). Pokémon Top 10 Handbook. Scholastic Inc. ISBN 0-439-89047-0.
- Pokémon Advanced, Vol. 1 - A Ruin with a View Viz Video., July 2004. ASIN B0001Z35JW.
- "あにてれ：ポケットモンスター ベストウイッシュ". Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "あにてれ：ポケットモンスター ベストウイッシュ".
- "イッシュ地方のジムリーダーたち | 『ポケットモンスターブラック・ホワイト』公式サイト".
- Mr Buddy (2015-07-09), Pokemon Mystery: What was Gary Oak's starter?, retrieved 2016-07-17
- "Melissa Schoenberg". theateronline.com.
- "A New Season Premieres February 12th! | News | Pokemon.com". 2011-02-02. Retrieved 2011-02-06.
- Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. Episode 28 ; Drifloon In The Wind.
- "Animerica Interview Toshihiro Ono". VIZ Media. Archived from the original on 2000-05-10. Retrieved 2009-08-05.
- "Saskia Maarleveld Voice-Over". Saskia Maarleveld official website. Retrieved April 27, 2016.
- Manga volumes