List of Portland State Vikings head football coaches
The Portland State Vikings college football team represents Portland State University[A 1] in the Big Sky Conference (Big Sky). The Vikings compete as part of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Football Championship (FCS). The program has had 13 head coaches since it began play during the 1947 season. Since December 2014, Bruce Barnum has served as the head coach at Portland State.
The team has played nearly 700 games over 65 seasons of Portland State football. In that time, two coaches have led the Vikings to postseason appearances: Pokey Allen and Tim Walsh. Three coaches also won conference championships: Jerry Lyons won two as a member of the Oregon Collegiate Conference; Don Read and Allen won a combined six as a member of the Western Football Conference. Walsh is the leader in seasons coached with fourteen years with the program. Walsh is also the leader in games won with 90 and Allen has the highest winning percentage of those who have coached more than one game, with .703. Ron Stratten and Jerry Glanville are tied with the lowest winning percentage of those who have coached more than one game, with .273.
|No.||Order of coaches[A 3]||GC||Games coached||CW||Conference wins||PW||Postseason wins|
|DC||Division championships||OW||Overall wins||CL||Conference losses||PL||Postseason losses|
|CC||Conference championships||OL||Overall losses||CT||Conference ties||PT||Postseason ties|
|NC||National championships||OT||Overall ties[A 4]||C%||Conference winning percentage|
|Elected to the College Football Hall of Fame||O%||Overall winning percentage[A 5]|
|1||Holland, JoeJoe Holland||1947–1954||65||20||42||3||.331||5||10||1||.344||0||0||0||0||0||—|
|2||Davis, RalphRalph Davis||1955–1956||16||4||11||1||.281||2||6||0||.250||0||0||0||0||0||—|
|3||Leggett, LesLes Leggett||1957–1958||17||6||11||0||.353||3||5||0||.375||0||0||0||0||0||—|
|4||Smithwick, HughHugh Smithwick||1959–1961||25||6||17||2||.280||4||7||1||.375||0||0||0||0||0||—|
|5||DeSylvia, TomTom DeSylvia||1962||8||4||4||0||.500||3||1||0||.750||0||0||0||0||0||—|
|6||Lyons, JerryJerry Lyons||1963–1967||46||21||24||1||.467||7||0||1||.938||0||0||0||2||0||—|
|7||Read, DonDon Read||1968–1971
|8||Stratten, RonRon Stratten||1972–1974||33||9||24||0||.273||—||—||—||—||0||0||0||—||0||—|
|9||Davis, MouseMouse Davis||1975–1980||66||42||24||0||.636||—||—||—||—||0||0||0||—||0||—|
|10||Allen, PokeyPokey Allen||1986–1992||91||63||26||2||.703||30||7||0||.811||10||5||0||5||0||—|
|11||Walsh, TimTim Walsh||1993–2006||158||90||68||0||.570||42||41||0||.506||2||4||0||0||0||—|
|12||Glanville, JerryJerry Glanville||2007–2009||33||9||24||—||.273||7||17||—||.292||0||0||—||0||0||—|
|13||Burton, NigelNigel Burton||2010–2014||57||21||36||—||.368||12||27||—||.308||0||0||—||0||0||—|
|14||Barnum, BruceBruce Barnum||2015–present||0||0||0||—||.000||0||0||—||.000||0||0||—||0||0||—|
- Since 1946, what is now known as Portland State University was also known as Vanport Extension Center from 1946 to 1951.
- Although the first Rose Bowl Game was played in 1902, it has been continuously played since the 1916 game, and is recognized as the oldest bowl game by the NCAA. "—" indicates any season prior to 1916 when postseason games were not played.
- A running total of the number of head coaches, with coaches who served separate tenures being counted only once. Interim head coaches are represented with "Int" and are not counted in the running total. "—" indicates the team played but either without a coach or no coach is on record. "X" indicates an interim year without play.
- Overtime rules in college football were introduced in 1996, making ties impossible in the period since.
- When computing the win–loss percentage, a tie counts as half a win and half a loss.
- Statistics correct as of the end of the 2013 college football season.
- 2012 Portland State Vikings Football, p. 130
- Goe, Ken (December 8, 2014). "Bruce Barnum will be Portland State's interim head football coach through the 2015 season". The Oregonian. OregonLive.com. Retrieved January 11, 2015.
- 2012 Portland State Vikings Football, p. 131
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) (2011). Bowl/All-Star Game Records (PDF). Indianapolis, Indiana: NCAA. pp. 5–10. Archived from the original on August 22, 2011. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- Whiteside, Kelly (August 25, 2006). "Overtime system still excites coaches". USA Today. McLean, Virginia. Archived from the original on November 24, 2009. Retrieved September 25, 2009.
- Finder, Chuck (September 6, 1987). "Big plays help Paterno to 200th". The New York Times. New York City. Archived from the original on October 22, 2009. Retrieved October 22, 2009.